Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Hello from the Goldmine.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Thank you for punishing Boba's doxxer

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jack Van Burace posted:

I just don't understand how it could happen twice, like what's the thought process that leads you to think you get away with it after the last person to do it

Ostensibly, "Don't do what SPR did and just literally buy it for yourself, cover your tracks. Also no one would believe this would happen again, that would be incredible."

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gross betrayal.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmfao

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

lmao

speng31b posted:

New policy sounds good but............wtf

sweet thursday posted:

:hmmyes:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

Thank you Jeff, good policy

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 24, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Well.....I suspect the first part of this is not true. The presence of someone writing credible death threats on the site in any form is serious as hell. I've been looking into it for a few days at this point, including contacting the payment processor and digging through the database, and got as much information as I could - this was doxxing combined with a death threat and this is easily warranted. I wanted to see if the person that did this could be found despite our store's limitations, and, if they are posting on this site, permaban them, and provide information to Boba Pearl to contact the police, if she chose to. Unfortunately, I am forced to conclude that Boba Pearl purchased these avatars for herself. The core of it is that she recently posted from one of the IPs that I have associated with one of the two avatar purchases, in a way that does not line up at all with the stories she told me. There are a bunch of details beyond that, but I don't really want to lay them all out here. It's bad and manipulative. Boba Pearl is someone I consider a friend, and it hurts to be lied to and misled in this way. I just really can't deal with writing up a big long post about the private conversations I had with her leading up to this conclusion, but I also can't leave it unaddressed.

To be real with all of you, I am....aghast. Boba, I went out on a limb by allowing you to return to posting on this site, previously posting as permabanned user Turtlicious, and I just.....don't know what to say. You posted about missing SPR the morning you did this. Did you not remember how this hurt people? Do you not see how concerned and worried this makes people in this community?
wow

this bums me out :/

Lady Radia posted:

I hope it isn’t cringe to say this is pretty emotionally distressing.

TheSwizzler posted:

It sucks, I’m very disappointed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's insane that someone would buy an av for themselves using an IP they post from.

When they could have signed up for Nord VPN using promo code AWFUL for a free one month trial!

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I have to assume this person will no longer be welcome here because uh…

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
lmao

Also why are permabanned users being allowed back in secretly by the admin isn't that just bolstering the whole protected class of posters people complain about constantly

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Jack Van Burace posted:

I just don't understand how it could happen twice, like what's the thought process that leads you to think you get away with it after the last person to do it

slightly different technique

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I have to assume this person will no longer be welcome here because uh…

10 day roasting period?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

wait hold up i swear i was only gone like 2 hours lol.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Paladinus posted:

It's insane that someone would buy an av for themselves using an IP they post from.

When they could have signed up for Nord VPN using promo code AWFUL for a free one month trial!

Lol

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
:lol:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Doltos posted:

lmao

Also why are permabanned users being allowed back in secretly by the admin isn't that just bolstering the whole protected class of posters people complain about constantly

there are a non-zero number of permabanned posters who have been let back in under a new account after a period of, like, chilling out and not being insane about poo poo

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

I agree with the general consensus that I think this is the best way to handle this while not throwing the whole thing out.

jesus christ to everything else though

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Wait what was turtlicious banned for are they the cow exploder

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

:yikes:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phobeste posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3884239&pagenumber=148&perpage=40#post496679094

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

the "cool" part is the spr thing also means I'm also a suspect for doing it to myself.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

:lmao: that it was the canonical example of a good permaban

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

legit a huge stupid rear end in a top hat

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao christ

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phobeste posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3884239&pagenumber=148&perpage=40#post496679094

Turtlicious posted:

LIke to use a metaphor, I had a DND game going and I 3d Printed some very expensive miniatures, that you can't just flush down the toilet, and had all of my uh dice and snacks ready, and no-one came and now I'm wondering how you disassemble 3 goblin figurines w/o losing your loving fingers.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

e:f;b.

But, yeah, just a combo of :wtf: and :lol:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

extremely hosed up

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Phobeste posted:

That is correct. Glad they were allowed to return.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
shocked that the person who posted about themselves almost constantly deeply craved attention. much to think about.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Jack Van Burace posted:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They leveraged this for hundreds of dollars of patreon subs ftw.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lol this sucks

Good rules and changes jeff.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol what'll those crazy goons do next

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh so we let an eco-terrorist who was making active threats back on to the website that we hope isn't shut down by the FBI, cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
lmao no fuckin way