Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: 16-bit Butt-Head)

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Last Chance posted:

he’s right

there's no AI, so he actually isnt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

the milk machine posted:

what do you think

50 shades of pale

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

the milk machine posted:

what do you think

Office worker in his 50s who eats like poo poo and doesn't exercise.

Y'know, I know everyone always says that they'd be better if they had his money, but I can just imagine how crazy-good I'd look if I had the money for a dietician, a chef, a home gym, and one of those Hollywood personal trainers. Just spend my days looking and feeling amazing and blazed out of my mind.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Karia posted:

In a vacuum, a 10 micron tolerance isn't that hard to hold, for some kinds of features, for some kinds of manufacturing processes. I've set up automotive machining lines where critical features, like critical bore diameters or the distance between two precision dowel holes, would get held to +-0.005 mm, statistically capable to a 1.67 Ppk (that means that we statistically estimate that no more than 0.6 parts per million would be out of tolerance). It takes some fiddling,, but it can be done. Bore honing's another example, they routinely hold that sort of tolerance as well. But you'd never try to do that on every feature on a component, let alone the entire car! Even ultra-precise measuring instruments and stuff have a whole ton of tolerances which are like "make a drat clearance hole, who cares so long as the bolt goes through." And that's with machining! Trying to hold that sort of tolerance on sheet metal or die castings is sheer insanity. Even measuring that sort of tolerance on large parts gets really tricky and you have to start taking into account stuff like how much the part sags under its own weight.
f1 engine cylinder walls are machined to within ~10 micron tolerances iirc

because of it, the engines need to be preheated before startinf because the engine is seized together at room temp

obviously really cheap, low maintenance stuff

bigstupidjellyfish
Oct 25, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

The old guy having trace amounts of Tik Tok concerns me.

its a minor thing but the idea that someone is a genius in astronomy, math, physics and philosophy seems like a really childish view of what a "smart person" is, which makes sense because its a meme posted by an elon musk fanboy who probably thinks elon musk is an expert in all those things as well as computer science, rocket science, and human biology. Like, you're lucky if you find someone who is a genuine expert in one extremely niche field, and maybe they have a working knowledge of some related field, that's about as good as you're gonna get in most cases. Most of the time if you hear some genius physics guy going off about something other than physics they'll be saying some extremely dumb poo poo that only gets credibility cause they're a super genius physicist.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Spergin Morlock posted:

there's no AI, so he actually isnt

wrong, “AI” now just means computer doing things.

just like “servers” are now “clouds”

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Zeroisanumber posted:

Y'know, I know everyone always says that they'd be better if they had his money, but I can just imagine how crazy-good I'd look if I had the money for a dietician, a chef, a home gym, and one of those Hollywood personal trainers. Just spend my days looking and feeling amazing and blazed out of my mind.

hmmm yes but what if it’s actually smarter to go on a regimen of steroids and experimental weight loss drugs while also uhhh skipping breakfast intermittent fasting?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spergin Morlock posted:

thinking about the time my friend invited me to put up Ron Paul 2008 signs. while we were doing it some tweaker walked up and thought I was Ron Paul and wished me luck lmao

hello mr ron paul

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Sir Tonk posted:

why would you tweet that???

Help me out. I don’t know what deeper truth he’s revealing that he shouldn’t have, or whatever the issue was with that tweet.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Zeroisanumber posted:

No office worker in their 50s is gonna have that amount of HGH bloat.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Grundulum posted:

Help me out. I don’t know what deeper truth he’s revealing that he shouldn’t have, or whatever the issue was with that tweet.

satire is reveals a deeper truth

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

impossible for me to hear the word micron and not full vaseline lens flashback to

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3328080&pagenumber=9#post379712533 posted:

I called across the infield to Yuniesky. He was stretching his quads as I moved a bat in the air, professionally.

"This world is a sheep pen, nothing more. We're paid, paid baseball professionals paid in dollar money? but its gold nuggets that matter, because the internet, collapse. and you drink hog slime until you can't see, and you move the mattress and tear open the bee hive and push your hand inside, and hide the gold, by the bees, in the kingdom of the bees, and then you crawl to the walmart water pool water catchment and drink the duck sauce, because everything hurts, because 5 microns, and the goons, its all online, yoga... stole my gator. all i want is a nice floor and hot poo poo, literal hot animal poo poo to drink"

Yuniesky had turned around. He was conferring with another Cuban, being very rude. I heard snatches of their conversation over the slap of ball into glove. "culo" and "yeast". I knew then it was time to medically retire, and begin the slime odyssey. I tipped my hat to the professional baseball manager and started walking in a direction

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1694648613505495368?s=20
and then started my own ai company tied to my own social media site

delaying the development of the AI by not letting it probe your brain? roko's basilisk will remember this

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

DoombatINC posted:

impossible for me to hear the word micron and not full vaseline lens flashback to

I don’t have archives so I have no context to this but lol

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Grundulum posted:

that tweet is in the SpaceX suit brought by the DOJ for discriminatory hiring practice.

https://www.scribd.com/document/667018992/DOJ-SpaceX-Lawsuit-Aug-24-2023#download&from_embed

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Grundulum posted:

quote:

The lawsuit says between 2018 and 2022, SpaceX “wrongly claimed” that export control laws limited its hiring to U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents.
spacex said they were only hiring US citizens because the law forced them to, whereas that tweet shows musk knows they can hire anyone with a green card, so it is evidence of purposeful discrimination

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
groooims tha ai is proibing maoi brain i kin feel it groims

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

mooby dick

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
AI gives good brain probe

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
this thread is disgusting

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

maybe the GBS thread is a little more to your taste

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Vivek said he would run America like Elon runs his companies (or even Twitter specifically)

Of course Elon is lapping that poo poo up.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1694648613505495368?s=20
and then started my own ai company tied to my own social media site

I should make panel #2 my LinkedIn photo

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Trying posted:

mooby dick

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

lol thats right

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Has Elon shown up at Zuck's house yet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Skull Servant posted:

Has Elon shown up at Zuck's house yet

he’s gonna show up hoisting a boombox blasting “in your eyes” and then they’ll kiss. or maybe zuck’s security will ventilate him idk.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I imagine if you stop to tie your shoe in front of Zuck's house some dead-eyed ex-Marine psycho lines up on you with a sniper rifle.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

ben shapino posted:

what's the difference

never trump republicans are very slightly more cowardly and odious

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

lol at him just now figuring out why you don't make these things with sharp edges

https://twitter.com/lorakolodny/status/1694762043335671877

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
where are the headlights

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

where are the headlights

In the head, duh

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

where are the headlights

The cost of repairing a Tesla has caused insurers to charge hefty premiums.

So Tesla launched their own insurance, the catch is it monitors how, when and where you drive and adjusts your rates on the fly. Driving after dark with Tesla insurance is a big no-no.

In short, if you buy the cybertruck you won’t need headlights.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Niwrad posted:

lol at him just now figuring out why you don't make these things with sharp edges

https://twitter.com/lorakolodny/status/1694762043335671877

he finally saw the panel gap replies lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Old James posted:

So Tesla launched their own insurance, the catch is it monitors how, when and where you drive and adjusts your rates on the fly. Driving after dark with Tesla insurance is a big no-no.

not even sure if this is fake or not anymore lol

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
RIP all those tesla ubers

When launching its own car insurance product, Tesla utilized its capacity to collect real-time driving data from its vehicles to create what it calls a “Safety Score,” which basically gives drivers a score based on how and when they drive in order to affect their monthly premium negatively or positively.

The score would be affected by things like the number of “Forward Collision Warnings” you get, the amount of hard braking you do, aggressive turning, unsafe following distance, and if you get forced Autopilot disengagement.

Now Tesla has launched what it calls Safety Score 2.0, and it includes significant changes to program:

Added Excessive Speeding as a new Safety Factor. More time spent driving over 85 mph will lead to a lower Safety Score.
Added Unbuckled Driving as a new Safety Factor. Time spent driving over 10 mph without buckling the driver’s seatbelt will lead to a lower Safety Score.
Updated Late Night Driving to be risk weighted based on when you are driving from 10 PM – 4 AM. The impact of late night driving on your Safety Score will depend on the proportion of time spent driving in each hour from 10 PM – 4 AM. The impact on your Safety Score is now reduced earlier in the night and increased later in the night.
Updated Hard Braking Safety Factor to exclude braking events that occur when the vehicle detects a yellow traffic light.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Old James posted:

mad?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

where are the headlights