Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVy8o3WECEw

He's back! And sounds like hell, rip danksinuses

e: holy poo poo I recognize ALL those shots dude literally went to the suburb I live in for vacation wtf

mewse posted:

Is this one of the guys that does "Car Trek" with tavarish because that crew is insufferable

Possibly, he's the tall guy who used to sell lambos.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I hate crappy tire. Why do all the aisles have to be a foot wide. And everything they sell is utter trash

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Man I hate crappy tire. Why do all the aisles have to be a foot wide. And everything they sell is utter trash

I'm just loving astounded watching DankPods narrate my local Canadian Tire.

e: that taco bell has really slow service though. 3/10

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

I'm just loving astounded watching DankPods narrate my local Canadian Tire.

I will just take any opportunity to rip on awful canadian icons like crappy tire or tim hortons or hmm.. poutine? Never liked it.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Tim Hortons opened up in Indiana and we kicked their asses out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Triikan posted:

Tim Hortons opened up in Indiana and we kicked their asses out.

Good for you! It’s the loving worst.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Tim Hortons loving sucks and letting a corpo become our national icon is shameful

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I literally prefer princess auto over crappy tire. At least Princess Auto doesn't try to play the illusion of patriotism by wrapping the finest slave labor, overpriced chinese made crap in a the Canadian flag like Canadian Tire.

Princess at least unabashedly goes "Yeah, it's off shore cheap poo poo. You know you want it you cheap fucker."

And we do :(

e: I mean, walmart probably has more made in :canada: stuff in it than they do.

CBD Corndog posted:

Tim Hortons loving sucks and letting a corpo become our national icon is shameful
How in hell it got as popular as it has is a total mystery to me. Although I will admit, Tim Hortons chili at 3AM being pissed out of your mind but starving tastes way better than it really should.

When I went to Nova Scotia last year I was shocked at the number of them. Every town with 500 people seemed to have a Tim Hortons. And if not a Tim Hortons, some other wannabe facsimile chain just like it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 24, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tim Horton's at least used to have somewhat decent donuts for its day, before they went to the frozen poo poo that just gets reconstituted prior to putting on display. This was before I drank coffee so I don't know if the coffee was ever good but I think also at the time almost all coffee shop/diner coffee was utter swill anyway.

The cloak of patriotism really is what grinds my gears badly about both crappy tire and timmy's too. It seems like the sheen of that has come off of hockey lately too what with the NHL being money grubbing whores for gambling and the whole hockey canada scandals. It's a relief not having to make myself care about hockey anymore tbh.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
IIRC Tim Hortons lost their exclusivity contract for their coffee back when it was still decent around the time they got bought by Burger King, and McDonalds immediately scooped that poo poo up.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

CBD Corndog posted:

Almost amazing that Canada loves hockey so much that the average Canadian tolerates mid coffee and donuts because it's historically associated with hockey. It was a little more acceptable when they were locally owned, often the only thing in many smaller towns, open early and late if not 24/7 and made the donuts in store.

Now? Nah.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From that guy's car channel I just learnt that there was an Australian export version of the 126p, called the Niki.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

IIRC Tim Hortons lost their exclusivity contract for their coffee back when it was still decent around the time they got bought by Burger King, and McDonalds immediately scooped that poo poo up.

Wow I had no idea but that totally fits as McDonald’s coffee got pretty good! I kind of burned out on it though.

I need a youtuber reviewing canadian institutions/chains and revealing how they suck or are good (thread relevance heyyy). The only one I unabashedly like now is A&W Canada which is fairly distinct from its US counterpart.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

mewse posted:

Is this one of the guys that does "Car Trek" with tavarish because that crew is insufferable

that whole crew is pretty dingdang right wing, if you needed more reasons not to watch

Like Idk about the other dude, and Hoovie’s just a dumb mostly-“apolitical” rich kid from corn country who inherited a bunch of family money, but Tavarish in particular is apparently super into far right, ‘capital-F fascism’ poo poo

He does a good job of keeping it under wraps and not loving with his finances, but he’s also tried launching various explicitly political ventures over the years, and I’d be shocked if his money isn’t helping to fund some of the people that you’ve heard of

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Getting on a 14 hour flight to go to Langley, BC sounds like one of the levels of hell.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Hey that’s my crappy tire too!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Getting on a 14 hour flight to go to Langley, BC sounds like one of the levels of hell.

Was it to YVR and then drive or to Abbotsford and drive from there? Both would be bad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I like Tim Hortons 😅 it's much better than Starbucks

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

priznat posted:

Was it to YVR and then drive or to Abbotsford and drive from there? Both would be bad.

There’s a shot of what looks like Metrotown in the far distance from the 99, so YVR.

You know, there’s been a distressing amount of the Fraser Valley in this thread in the past week. What did we do to deserve this?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Damning with faint praise there lol

Kazinsal posted:

There’s a shot of what looks like Metrotown in the far distance from the 99, so YVR.

You know, there’s been a distressing amount of the Fraser Valley in this thread in the past week. What did we do to deserve this?

Home to LMG!!

I did a test drive from Surrey auto mall to Langley and back a few weeks ago, I rarely go across the bridge but it was very nice.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They opened a Tim Hortons in my city in the UK since they're doing this big international expansion and it was alright. I've been to Canadian ones and all my Canadian friends were bugging me for a trip report. The doughnuts were good and the coffee was bad so it felt pretty authentic. It's on the other side of town though so I've only been once. If it was closer to me I'd probably be there at least once a month for some Timbits.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Once drove by the LTT studios in Surrey. They’re very anonymous, no signage or anything.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Starbucks has tasty iced teas that I can get raspberry syrup in, while the best I can get at Tim's is a Chai tea with 2 cream 2 sugar that runs the range from "a slightly sweet, creamy spiced tea" to "slightly sweet brown water no matter how long I leave the tea bag in". I can't stand coffee, the stuff is more foul than Satan's diarrhea after taco night, but I do enjoy me some nice teas.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

njsykora posted:

They opened a Tim Hortons in my city in the UK since they're doing this big international expansion and it was alright. I've been to Canadian ones and all my Canadian friends were bugging me for a trip report. The doughnuts were good and the coffee was bad so it felt pretty authentic. It's on the other side of town though so I've only been once. If it was closer to me I'd probably be there at least once a month for some Timbits.

It would only be authentic if the doughnuts were also bad.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
i hate tim hortens more than i hate linus

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Tim Hortens is basically Canadian Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks is a bit different.

That being said, there was a Tim Hortens and Cold Stone combination store by my house for a few years and it was awesome getting a donut ice-cream sandwich.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

LorneReams posted:

Tim Hortens is basically Canadian Dunkin Donuts. Starbucks is a bit different.

That being said, there was a Tim Hortens and Cold Stone combination store by my house for a few years and it was awesome getting a donut ice-cream sandwich.

don’t sell yourself so short. Tim Horton’s is way better than what Dunkin (it’s just Dunkin now) has become.

Tim Horton’s is like Honeydew, which is the regional Massachusetts chain that is better than Dunkin in every way except availability/store locations and maybe speed

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tim Horton’s was really drat cheap, which helped me out a lot when I was going through some rough patches.

Not sure if that’s changed, but I like the chain for that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ok Comboomer posted:

that whole crew is pretty dingdang right wing, if you needed more reasons not to watch

Like Idk about the other dude, and Hoovie’s just a dumb mostly-“apolitical” rich kid from corn country who inherited a bunch of family money, but Tavarish in particular is apparently super into far right, ‘capital-F fascism’ poo poo

He does a good job of keeping it under wraps and not loving with his finances, but he’s also tried launching various explicitly political ventures over the years, and I’d be shocked if his money isn’t helping to fund some of the people that you’ve heard of

I mean it's cannonball culture, it pretty much comes with the territory that they're hardcore libertarians.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i watched the gamers nexus video and it dawned on me that the grossly misleading LTT cpu cooler video definitely influenced my decision to go with a noctua when i got a new cpu and cooler a couple of months ago. i did ask some other people who vouched for it and my thermals are perfectly fine but still

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Well, Noctua still make the best CPU air-coolers out there, so at least you bought the best.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Best probably but not the most price-performant.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Best probably but not the most price-performant.

It's quite good. Their top end cooler can be had for $100, so it's not exactly breaking the bank. AIO's are where it starts to get pricey these days.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Sure, but you can get +90% there with a lot of tower coolers half the price or less of a NH-D15. Noctua is great but anyone with a budget will do just fine with a lot of alternatives. 100$ for a tower cooler is a lot of money.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

When i had a wage i invariably bought Noctua, if you have the money and are happy to spend then they do a good job and i found them easy to fit.

Water cooling just sets off my anxiety nodes. :derp:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

yeah it's not at all a huge deal, i purposefully got an overpowered cooler for my mid-range cpu to keep noise to a minimum so i was already technically overspending but i still could've achieved the same results for less. i'm sure there are people out there who made way bigger and worse purchases based on their awful testing practices and clear biases

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I bought a NH-D15 in 2017 and it’s pretty awesome that I was able to use it in my new build this summer with only needing a simple adapter. Noctua is still unmatched as far as longevity and long-term support, but they’re definitely due for a refresh of the D15 in the face of current competition.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, Noctua still make the best CPU air-coolers out there, so at least you bought the best.

No they don't. Pretty much their entire product stack is outperformed by cheaper options, including the D15.

It's not a bad cooler, it's just somewhat dated.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
there’s no magic in cpu cooler designs; any real advantages the d15 had at the time it hit the market have been integrated into other companies’ designs and improved on by now. there’s also plenty of options that kind of brute force things with more mass of metal, which is perfectly workable. the upgrade to the d15 that they’re working on should be quite decent. i trust that noctua is really doing more original design and thorough reliability testing etc. than the average greater bay area based startup and they are very good on included accessories and customer support. and many, many people consider their cooler mounting mechanisms to be the best. but yeah they’re not also the best value option at the same time as all that and people can make sensible decisions about their own preferences and what is and isn’t worth the premium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i imagine the regular fans' noise profiles are above par beyond basic cfm and db measurements, but i wouldn't default to their coolers just because

their thermal paste is prety nice, though. at least nt-h1 with h2 having a slightly different viscosity, much like all the arctic mx numbers