Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I know it's nothing new and is pretty common knowledge now that women deal with this all the time, but I'll never not be just a little shocked and disheartened that people feel free to comment on a random stranger's appearance on a whim. About the only time it seems remotely acceptable (and because this happens to me) is "GOddamn that's a big beard!"

People feel really ok commenting on people’s heights and it’s really annoying. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a new job without getting comments about being all hobbitesque, and same for really tall people I’ve seen, I have to assume the whole « wow you’re so tall do you play ball » comments gets tedious

Height isn’t as egregious as like drat NICE rear end but why do people feel they get to make cracks when we have just met

E: or even when my kids were newborn the first thing one coworker said after asking for photos was something about if I think they’ll be short bc the parents are short

Idk the only appropriate comment on appearance at this level of intimacy is a non-sexual compliment I learned this at like 13

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:29 on Aug 24, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Hey, don't sweat the small stuff buddy

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

I am a cis man with a resting glower and once got a guy saying “it’s going to be okay!” while I was waiting for the bus.
Wow, how wrong that guy was.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People feel really ok commenting on people’s heights and it’s really annoying. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a new job without getting comments about being all hobbitesque, and same for really tall people I’ve seen, I have to assume the whole « wow you’re so tall do you play ball » comments gets tedious

Height isn’t as egregious as like drat NICE rear end but why do people feel they get to make cracks when we have just met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK71930phxk

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Goons are a self selecting group so anything beyond mumbling their order at Wendy's with downcast eyes then shuffling off is considered a social faux pas.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I am a cis man with a resting glower and once got a guy saying “it’s going to be okay!” while I was waiting for the bus.

I once heard someone saying that to me and my first instinct was to run away from this creepy dude.

I am also a cis man.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Is LinkedIn allowed here? I was just struck by what this dude has as his tagline:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dexter6 has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Aug 24, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've only recently joined LinkedIn and everyone on there posts in a way that makes me want to ask, "Are you being serious or is this a bit?"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
LinkedIn is, bafflingly, social media, so I'd say its allowed. People post the most inane poo poo in the most annoying ways there.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Linkedin has extremely powerful idiocy of a quality you don't see anywhere else.

Hustle Idiocy is just powerful.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dexter6 posted:

Is LinkedIn allowed here? I was just struck by what this dude has as prosperity tagline:

Jobs has clearly stated prosperity preferred pronouns, and you could at least have the courtesy to refer to profits in the manner jobs has decided fits profits and prosperity identity best

Scientastic has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Aug 24, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

why'd that guy lie to you?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
E=MC2 + Pickle

This ground breaking formula not only combines the scientific truth of Einsteens formula, but with the addition of a pickle. What can a pickle do for us in the future? Perhaps pickle will cure cancer, maybe pickle will show us how to travel faster than light.

All I know is our pickle future looks bright, and in the meantime I'm going to satisfy my scientific cravings for a nice delicious pickle!

THIS PROMOTION PAID FOR BY THE VLASIC INSTITUTE FOR PICKLE SCIENCES

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also I know this is the obvious internet poster thing to point out but with E=MC²+AI, the equation was already balanced, so the value of AI must be 0.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1694670514415898980?t=UZpuUh1ByBTvuLiQjMG-Pw&s=19

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

she's learning how engagement bait works. Laura's tryna get paid

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

E=MC2 + Pickle

This ground breaking formula not only combines the scientific truth of Einsteens formula, but with the addition of a pickle. What can a pickle do for us in the future? Perhaps pickle will cure cancer, maybe pickle will show us how to travel faster than light.

All I know is our pickle future looks bright, and in the meantime I'm going to satisfy my scientific cravings for a nice delicious pickle!

THIS PROMOTION PAID FOR BY THE VLASIC INSTITUTE FOR PICKLE SCIENCES

"AI" won't accomplish a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a single percent of what pickles have done for humankind, and the planet our Mother Earth.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Antigravitas posted:

Linkedin has extremely powerful idiocy of a quality you don't see anywhere else.

Hustle Idiocy is just powerful.

I love his implicit assumption that the original equation doesn't actually mean anything, it's just kind of a slogan for science that mentions some important things.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Powered Descent posted:

I love his implicit assumption that the original equation doesn't actually mean anything, it's just kind of a slogan for science that mentions some important things.

Hustlebros just be like that.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

This was apparently real with a happy ending: "Deloitte director who called Hitler 'charismatic visionary' no longer works at the company"

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

"AI" won't accomplish a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a single percent of what pickles have done for humankind, and the planet our Mother Earth.

I agree with this pro-pickle stance.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I went to a summer camp about the holocaust when I was about 13. A great portion of the lectures (all from history professors) about Hitler specifically were laboriously detailed about his confidence, charisma, ability to command loyalty, and all these other traits that are common to history's most famous leaders. It was really eye opening to understand that these are traits that great leaders from history shared. And the constant point was that none of those make a good person or good leader, it's just what effective leaders all have. Terrible people can be really effective leaders, and when terrible people have those traits they become the most dangerous people in the world. I wish people were not so stupid that they can't discern the difference there.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Mushika posted:

I agree with this pro-pickle stance.

Dill pickles are vile and they're still better than the plagiarism engines masquerading as AI.

Some other pickled things are OK. Just not dill pickles.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Prism posted:

Dill pickles are vile and they're still better than the plagiarism engines masquerading as AI.

Some other pickled things are OK. Just not dill pickles.

You are wrong.

e: Just wrong about dill pickles.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Push El Burrito posted:

From what I've heard on the Rules of Compliments, you want to compliment what someone chooses rather than what they don't. So "nice shirt" is ok, "nice neck" is RIGHT OUT.
I have found that compliments on makeup ("Love the way you winged the eyeliner", not "great foundation!") are appreciated. Again, something you do, not something you are.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The smile guys are the worst. "You'd be prettier if you smiled!" gently caress straight off into traffic.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have found that compliments on makeup ("Love the way you winged the eyeliner", not "great foundation!") are appreciated. Again, something you do, not something you are.

I have never had anyone get upset at me for saying "hey I like your tattoo!" except that time it turned out to be a birth mark but it looked like a sick rear end tiger.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Push El Burrito posted:

I have never had anyone get upset at me for saying "hey I like your tattoo!" except that time it turned out to be a birth mark but it looked like a sick rear end tiger.

Well that’s confirmation we’ve never met bc that’s my second most hated bus person comment after What Are You Reading

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well that’s confirmation we’ve never met bc that’s my second most hated bus person comment after What Are You Reading
Why? I could understand if, like "what are you reading", it was an attempt to get a limp conversation going. Like "tell me about your tattoos", you know. But just someone saying they think they're cool? Why's that so obnoxious?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I get compliments on my tattoos, haircut (I have an A-line bob), and purses (got a couple shaped like juiceboxes/milk cartons) all the time, and it never gets old. :kiddo: Makes my day, without fail!

My usual response to "Smile!" is "Only on pay-day". :shrug: I have resting sad face, unfortunately.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

One time 10 years ago a couple girls on the bus told me I was handsome and I have lived on that ever since

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why settle for handsome when you can be handall

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I went to a summer camp about the holocaust when I was about 13. A great portion of the lectures (all from history professors) about Hitler specifically were laboriously detailed about his confidence, charisma, ability to command loyalty, and all these other traits that are common to history's most famous leaders. It was really eye opening to understand that these are traits that great leaders from history shared. And the constant point was that none of those make a good person or good leader, it's just what effective leaders all have. Terrible people can be really effective leaders, and when terrible people have those traits they become the most dangerous people in the world. I wish people were not so stupid that they can't discern the difference there.

anyone with the right kind of personality to become a world leader is by definition a bad person hth

those who seek power are those who must never have it

Mushika posted:

You are wrong.

e: Just wrong about dill pickles.

she can fix me

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Why settle for handsome when you can be handall

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vib Rib posted:

Why? I could understand if, like "what are you reading", it was an attempt to get a limp conversation going. Like "tell me about your tattoos", you know. But just someone saying they think they're cool? Why's that so obnoxious?

Mostly because they’re intensely personal, especially my left sleeve. The name of my dead friend in church slavonic with a prayer isn’t really « cool » and that whole sleeve is almost entirely in script either hebrew or cyrillic so there’s always the followup of asking what it means. Tbf I brought this problem on myself but still

Tbf the right is nerd poo poo mostly Tolkien so that one is more tolerable. I literally sit on the left side of the bus to avoid these questions or push people to go oh cool white tree, I saw that movie

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The name of my dead friend in church slavonic with a prayer isn’t really « cool » and that whole sleeve is almost entirely in script either hebrew or cyrillic

If it's good line work and a nice font, sounds kinda cool to me.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I wear cool shoes out on purpose when I want a lil ego boost bc I almost always get compliments on them, and I always cherish the compliments I get on my metal band shirts (since moving to a major city I haven't gotten comments about how black people probably don't know metal which helps) so I'd heartily second the advice about complimenting things someone chose as opposed to trying to make them smile, for anyone who was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mostly because they’re intensely personal, especially my left sleeve. The name of my dead friend in church slavonic with a prayer isn’t really « cool » and that whole sleeve is almost entirely in script either hebrew or cyrillic so there’s always the followup of asking what it means. Tbf I brought this problem on myself but still

Tbf the right is nerd poo poo mostly Tolkien so that one is more tolerable. I literally sit on the left side of the bus to avoid these questions or push people to go oh cool white tree, I saw that movie

tbh thats pretty cool, tho I agree its not "share with strangers" cool