Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

biceps crimes posted:

It's all projection!

Spaceman meme: always was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I really don't like that it is being detected on all continents simultaneously. Probably fine though.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-covid-variant-ba286-2023-what-to-know-experts/ posted:

New COVID variant BA.2.86 spreading in the U.S. in August 2023. Here are key facts experts want you to know.
(..)
Ohio became the third state to announce spotting the variant on August 23, after the state's health department confirmed it was investigating a "preliminary detection" of BA.2.86's distinctive mutations in its wastewater.

Marc Johnson, a professor of microbiology and immunology at the University of Missouri, said on social media the detection was based on results published this month from the CDC's sewer testing program. Those were first published on August 17, from a sample collected late last month in the Ohio city of Elyria.

A CDC official said the agency expects to be able to determine whether or not they can formally confirm the detection within the next two weeks.

At least four more countries – Switzerland, Thailand, Spain and Germany – have also reported at least preliminary signs of BA.2.86's mutations in samples from their wastewater, Sorin Sion of the European Union's Sewage Sentinel System for SARS-CoV-2 told CBS News in an email.
(..)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Boba Pearl posted:

The thread is a cesspit, with the absolute worst posters, headed now by one of the worst posters. They're allowed to do whatever they want, and face no repercussions, a day for handing out fake medicine? Nothing is being done about the constant homophobic and transphobic sentiment, and I'm not going to list it all out, because it's exhausting to look for attacks over and over and have nothing done about them. They constantly attack anyone whose an outsider. They are the worst the forums has to offer, and are constantly being handed rope by which they use to strangle the rest of the forums.

E: Fosborb did nothing about any of the attacks against me, whether they were transphobic, homophobic, about my art, or anything in between, and instead let his cadre of fake practitioners continue to give out dangerous medical advice.

As the super gay trans ik who got treated like total poo poo trying to do right by this thread, seeing this from someone who literally was protected by the site owner after posting terrorist threats and given space to drive her patreon has completely broken the lingering shreds of giving a poo poo about this site 'as a community.'

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
when youre right, youre right, and shiroc is right

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shiroc posted:

As the super gay trans ik who got treated like total poo poo trying to do right by this thread, seeing this from someone who literally was protected by the site owner after posting terrorist threats and given space to drive her patreon has completely broken the lingering shreds of giving a poo poo about this site 'as a community.'

Did someone doxx you when you were an IK?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Fosarb, we need words here.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
quick, everyone buy themselves insulting avatars before Jeff changes the shop code

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

biceps crimes posted:

Did someone doxx you when you were an IK?

please stop this slap fight

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

DickParasite posted:

For anyone not following the SAD thread about Boba Pearl's avatar doxing:

It turns out Boba Pearl was previously permabanned user Turtlicious.

:lmao:

holy gently caress it happened again :laffo:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

please stop this slap fight

I don't know if that's a slap fight, but we do need words with some people over this trash fire.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nobody doxxed me. It was something I was concerned about given how pissed off people were getting but apparently I has less to worry about than I thought.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

StratGoatCom posted:

I don't know if that's a slap fight, but we do need words with some people over this trash fire.

I don't think there's much to say, tbh. The people elsewhere who rile each other up over this thread and petition the mods to gas it because we're not "normal" included one particular piece of poo poo.

That speaks for itself.

bobtheconqueror has issued a correction as of 00:01 on Aug 25, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Nobody doxxed me. It was something I was concerned about given how pissed off people were getting but apparently I has less to worry about than I thought.

Thanks. I initially asked before recent... revelations by the way. Wasn't trying to run up the score or anything like that

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
SPR was at the vanguard of previous times. There is more weight of evidence at this point that obsessive drama posters are more likely to do things horribly damaging to the forums than anyone else.

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Aug 25, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

I really don't like that it is being detected on all continents simultaneously. Probably fine though.

Please don't spread misinformation. They haven't found it in Antarctica yet.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

bobtheconqueror posted:

I don't think there's much to say, tbh. The people elsewhere who rile each other up over this thread and petition the mods to gas it included one particular piece of poo poo.

That speaks for itself.

Yeah, and frankly after this poo poo, I think some clemency for torqued posters may be called for, considering Boba's antics.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Please don't spread misinformation. They haven't found it in Antarctica yet.

I meant it like "all of these", it also hasn't been seen in South America.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

biceps crimes posted:

Thanks. I initially asked before recent... revelations by the way. Wasn't trying to run up the score or anything like that

Yeah, that's why I had said 'if' when I mentioned it last night. The way people were getting upset was concerning to me since it was way disproportionate
and I have a good enough relationship with my manager that I wanted to get ahead of it in case anything happened.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah, and frankly after this poo poo, I think some clemency for torqued posters may be called for, considering Boba's antics.

free nurge

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Shiroc posted:

Yeah, that's why I had said 'if' when I mentioned it last night. The way people were getting upset was concerning to me since it was way disproportionate
and I have a good enough relationship with my manager that I wanted to get ahead of it in case anything happened.

For what little it's worth, I thought that was both what you meant and the proper response on your - and anyone else scared of being doxxed's - part.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:06 on Aug 25, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

I meant it like "all of these", it also hasn't been seen in South America.

Sorry was joking a bit.

But I kinda do wonder since we've been finding it in wild places so spread out across the globe, has it been spreading for a while before it was detected? Not a good feeling with the various huge number of mutations out of nowhere.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fur20 posted:

free nurge

free silicone thrills.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Shiroc posted:

SPR was at the vanguard of previous times. There is more weight of evidence at this point that being obsessive drama posters are more likely to do things horribly damaging to the forums than anyone else.

Seems kinda problematic that the unofficial forum thought police are so self-absorbed and comfortable with themselves they had no idea they were being manipulated into witch hunts by yet another liar.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

skooma512 posted:

free silicone thrills.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

ban everyone who posts in sad imho

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

good morning, covid morning

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

NeonPunk posted:

Sorry was joking a bit.

But I kinda do wonder since we've been finding it in wild places so spread out across the globe, has it been spreading for a while before it was detected? Not a good feeling with the various huge number of mutations out of nowhere.

Not for long I don't think. The samples so far have been fairly similar (though there are some minor changes from country to country) and sampled around the same time (within the last month).

Edit: Also I got the joke, just wanted to highlight that it wasn't spotted in South America... yet.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shiroc posted:

For whatever my dumbass opinions worth I really appreciate you and all the rest of the regulars ITT. I wouldn't wish the IK/mod role on my worst enemy.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Strep Vote posted:

Seems kinda problematic that the unofficial forum thought police are so self-absorbed and comfortable with themselves they had no idea they were being manipulated into witch hunts by yet another liar.

Yeah, what's this us versus them bullshit, something needs to be done about folks getting torqued by goon telephone if that insularity and drama issue is to be stopped with some finality.

yes, CPU abuser needed a yearprobe for that post, yes the transphobia needed bans, but all that poo poo could have been handled quickly and efficiently and without a circus that caused folks to go us and them.

the drama seeking tendency in SAD is a major problem for forums administration.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

U-DO Burger posted:

the year is 2027. it is revealed that the most prolific Covid posters were in fact reregs of the permabanned SAD posters

this shits obnoxious regardless of which forum and I say nuke em all

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The headline's 22% are the same as mentioned before, but the bolded main text is news.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-hospitalizations-spike-22-percent-cdc-predicts-increase-new-variants-2023/ posted:

COVID hospitalizations climb 22% this week — and the CDC predicts further increases as new variants spread

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is now forecasting an acceleration in new COVID-19 hospitalizations over the coming month, the agency said this week, replacing a previous projection that admissions would "remain stable or have an uncertain trend."
(..)

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019

nexous posted:

the year is 2027. it is revealed that the most prolific Covid posters were in fact reregs of the permabanned SAD posters

this shits obnoxious regardless of which forum and I say nuke em all

Agreed. Close the forums for good, all of them. It's the only way to be sure

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I got front row seats to see Groban in Sweeney Todd and all I got was this lousy shirt debilitating cough!

The Oldest Man posted:

Good thing that five day isolation period is following the science and *touches earpiece*

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/eclinm/PIIS2589-5370(23)00235-3.pdf

Seems like something they should run higher quality studies on, welp cya

e: ofc they should also do a high quality RCT on different isolation protocols' effect on airline ceos getting really sad, don't want to exclude the possibility of bias in that critical domain

:screams:

Animal-Mother posted:

The unofficial secret motto of the culinary industry is "NEVER call in sick."

Line cook was the deadliest American profession wrt Covid in 2020 and 2021.

"Lockdowns" my loving rear end. These people never stopped eating out. And blue collar people died for it, almost entirely POC.

You're insane if you think about this or remember it though.

poo poo like this is why I'm proud I haven't eaten in a restaurant in like 5 years.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Shiroc posted:

SPR was at the vanguard of previous times. There is more weight of evidence at this point that obsessive drama posters are more likely to do things horribly damaging to the forums than anyone else.

it's fundamentally this, trolls are trolls they can be dealt with, but folks who treat the loving forums as a zoo are trouble.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
boba pearls accusations and insinuations were entirely hosed up. her belief that this thread is full of transphobes and homophobes that attacked her was made up out of whole cloth. the idea that i "let my cadre" do anything is like, laughable on its face. no one even knew i was an ik for like a year+ until maybe a month or two ago lol

the timing was such that the post didn't get nuked because things needed to be figured out. sometimes things are actually discussed before action is taken. sometimes decisions are changed during those discussions. did you know if a mod puts anything in above 1 day it has to have admin approval before anything shows up? please remember not everything is instant and in some cases, it's important to be exactly, 100% sure of something. i don't think i can say more about that without an admin jumping in tbh

is this us vs them posting? i don't think so. this is a single person who did some awful things and they no longer belong on the website. i am not saying everyone critical of the cspam covid thread is the same, or also wrong, or in anyway implicated by the coincidence that one person who is awful also criticized this thread.

there have been lots of instances of posts in this thread over the years of circling the wagons, taking new voices in the worst possible reading, etc. that really does need to stop, and for the most part it really has. there is also lazy trolling sometimes (though that has been almost nothing in the last week) and that needs kicked in the knees as well.

there have been lots of jokes just today by people who do not normally post in this thread -- who sometimes also post in threads that end up on "them" lists! -- that were great and people lolled and not a single report was filed. GUAC is a drat good joke, etc.

this really what i want to get to:
  • Mask/PPE deals
  • Statistics and stats poo poo posting
  • Collective local action to improve material conditions
  • Links to new studies
  • Jokes/white noise posts
  • Pillowpant's horribly colored maps

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

U-DO Burger posted:

i wonder if i ban myself will it auto approve?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

fosborb posted:

is this us vs them posting? i don't think so. this is a single person who did some awful things and they no longer belong on the website. i am not saying everyone critical of the cspam covid thread is the same, or also wrong, or in anyway implicated by the coincidence that one person who is awful also criticized this thread.

Neither are we, but this poo poo is a problem, and frankly, after this poo poo some folks who just recently ate some long probes need some clemency after this sort of poo poo because, frankly, when you have that sort of manipulative rear end in a top hat loose, folks can be forgiven for getting torqued.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

i wonder if i ban myself will it auto approve?

Not worth a shot imo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just can't imagine caring about subforums or threads you don't like or visit here.

I don't know what the hell goes on in like, FYAD, and I don't care because I just don't go there. I don't feel the need the run them off the forums or make SAD posts demanding they be removed because they are not posting to my personal standards. D&D people post wrong poo poo all the time, but again, I just don't hang out there.

I like how the people obsessing over wrongthink in threads and attacking peope over it, are considered the normal people. They don't agree with me that everything is fine and I demand they be removed because everyone needs to agree with me.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
fosborb, I know you're trying to cool things down but trying to treat this as an isolated, disconnected incident is really fair from both how people behave and the impact that it has on the people who feel targeted by it. Like if anything at all can help get this site out of the mess is realizing that when tons of people are toeing up to the line but not going over, (which doesn't need to have to be because of 'crews' or intentional organization, just the social dynamics of things like a public LC and SAD) it creates lovely situations that bubble over, escalate and it isn't just a problem with the people who spectacularly flame out. poo poo needs to be viewed in context of the overall system, the same way we look at covid.