Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

I convinced some wasps to look for a new Bleibe with stuffing lemon slices in every crack near their nest. Afaik this also might work for hornets. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Guys, you are planning crimes and forming criminal conspiracies in the publicly visible Germany thread

Better to move this to Telegram or an in-person meeting

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016
It looks like the changes to the citizenship law are one step closer to becoming reality. I thought I would try and get a head start on the process, since according to the Stadt Köln website, there is a 12-month waiting period before they will even contact you to give you an appointment to drop off your application (which has to be done in person). I called to clarify, and they told me that it will definitely take 12 months, and I should be sure to resend my email requesting an appointment every couple of months so it won't get lost in the inbox because there is no one at the Amt to check it and make appointments (still waiting for the position to be filled). :ughh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I first made my Antrag in November of 2021. In February of this year they confirmed that it's approved and I could either proceed with getting rid of my American citizenship, or wait for the new law to take effect. Apparently once it becomes law, the rest of the process will only take about six weeks :toot:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, looks like the hornets won.

Sorry mom, no more tending to the garden for you this year, just stay inside and don't panic if one of those fuckers makes its way into the house, even if a potential sting ("Die tun nix! Absolut harmlos!") is life-threatening for you.

Just live with the constant stress and phobia for two months, I'm sure you'll be fine, despite your chronic heart failure. I'm rooting for you!

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012
Gut Ding will Weile haben.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Tja. Kann man nix machen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

mcbexx posted:

Well, looks like the hornets won.

Sorry mom, no more tending to the garden for you this year, just stay inside and don't panic if one of those fuckers makes its way into the house, even if a potential sting ("Die tun nix! Absolut harmlos!") is life-threatening for you.

Just live with the constant stress and phobia for two months, I'm sure you'll be fine, despite your chronic heart failure. I'm rooting for you!

Sorry, that must suck. I like hornets, but I also like them to be a little further away then that. I faintly remember the government sending experts to use some kind of mild poison to make the hive sleepy and then move it away. Is that not done anymore? (Though to be fair, that was wasps, not hornets.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hornets don't sting unless you are within their chosen territory. It is now a hornet house!

Sorry for this situation.
I had a hornet nest on the balcony of my last apartment. The landlord just told me that they decided to let them stay there.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 24, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've only ever had a single hornet somehow find its way through my window, but even that was thoroughly inconvenient. Those guys are loud, and the sheer size of it was more than a little intimidating. Having a whole nest right out the window sounds absolutely terrible. :smith:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I've had a small wasp nests hanging outside one of the Dachfenster for the last 2 months.

They're been very docile so far (paper wasps are less aggressive than hornets/yellowjackets). Still, I'm not looking forward to October/November when the queen dies. The workers switch from gathering nectar for the larva to hunting for food for themselves and they can become quite aggressive at this point when you have food out.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

breadshaped posted:

I've had a small wasp nests hanging outside one of the Dachfenster for the last 2 months.

They're been very docile so far (paper wasps are less aggressive than hornets/yellowjackets). Still, I'm not looking forward to October/November when the queen dies. The workers switch from gathering nectar for the larva to hunting for food for themselves and they can become quite aggressive at this point when you have food out.

Ironically, if you just let the wasps crawl around on your plate and gather whatever they want undisturbed, they won't even be aggressive. Too busy transporting that food back, I suppose.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I will most certainly not let the wasp gather whatever they want. If they stand between me and my Kuchen then they better be prepared to get aggressive!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Hätt ich gewusst, dass du Wespen hast, hätt ich mehr Kuchen gemacht...

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
Coincidentally I got stung by a wasp today for the first time in like thirty years. I remembered it worse to be honest.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
I checked it out and it most probably wasn't a wasp but a Bremse. Thank you for the attention.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

ephex posted:

I checked it out and it most probably wasn't a wasp but a Bremse. Thank you for the attention.

No mercy for those. Wasps rule though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ephex posted:

I spare me the "how the gently caress do you confuse Wespen and Bremsen, that's on the level of confusing dolphins and crocodiles" and give you a helpful Tip: Next time, if it drinks blood, it's probably not a wasp

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Libluini posted:

I spare me the "how the gently caress do you confuse Wespen and Bremsen, that's on the level of confusing dolphins and crocodiles" and give you a helpful Tip: Next time, if it drinks blood, it's probably not a wasp

I did not see the culprit, only felt a sudden pain in the motherfucking Kniebeuge and put ice on it. Only now after having it examed by my partner we could see that blood was drunken.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Murder all bremsen on sight, no mercy. gently caress those things.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ephex posted:

I did not see the culprit, only felt a sudden pain in the motherfucking Kniebeuge and put ice on it. Only now after having it examed by my partner we could see that blood was drunken.

Funnily enough, a wasp stinger injects a pain-causing poison. Bremsen on the other hand, are just a general pain-in-the-rear end. I'd imagine that would have stung a lot more if it had been a wasp. :v:

In my experience, it's actually very hard to agitate wasps to the point where they'll sting you. And they'd probably only crawl into someone's knees if you take a Pinsel and cover your skin in marmalade.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

ephex posted:

Coincidentally I got stung by a wasp today for the first time in like thirty years. I remembered it worse to be honest.

ephex posted:

Yeah, sure buddy. It was a wasp but they are totally not that bad and then, suddenly, it wasn't a wasp at all but you should definitely watch out for Bremsen!
If you're trying to casually insert pro-wasp-propaganda in your posts, be at least a little bit more creative with your nickname, sphex, we aren't idiots!

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

RabbitWizard posted:

If you're trying to casually insert pro-wasp-propaganda in your posts, be at least a little bit more creative with your nickname, sphex, we aren't idiots!

digger was(p), checks out

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
who decided to call Bremsen Bremsen anyway? in any direction!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Wasps don't really sting you unprovoked but it's also not that hard to accidentally provoke them, like if they get into your clothes somewhere and you threaten to squish them.

But generally speaking I've seen a lot of wasps in my life and never got stung. Just stay calm and let them have that Schinken / drop of limo if they want it so bad.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

ephex posted:

I was an adventurer like you before I took a Bremse to my knee!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Goa Tse-tung posted:

who decided to call Bremsen Bremsen anyway? in any direction!

It's due to "Bremsen" being the worst thing a German can think of

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
I have a hornet's nest in my garden as well, the nest is just outside our bedroom window. Never tried to enter the house, they just busy themselves eating bark.

Nice animals all around.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

lots of

itt

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Edit: .

AndreTheGiantBoned fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 10, 2024

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

chadbear posted:

lots of

itt

That's not a hornet

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

That's not a hornet

drat is it a Bremse I am bad at this

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Re: gender, actually I think that Abschaffung of gender in any official registry is a bad idea. I am not sure whether this is strawmanning but I would not be surprised if some people defend this.

There is still an extremely strong gender dimorphism or whatever it is called in society, like >99%. Sure, all options should be available for gender identification. Nevertheless, we live in societies in which all kind of things differ for men and women, socially, economically, physiologically. It is a useful tool in terms of policy etc. to distinguish between the two groups. Just to take another gender topic, how does one effectively measure gender pay gap if gender blindness is enforced?

Just pay all people the same? If gender blindness is enforced it should become harder to reason why people should get less (actually what’s the legit “reason” women get less anyway???? it’s not like their services cost less lol

Edit to clarify: as in services they buy like hairdressings

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

chadbear posted:

drat is it a Bremse I am bad at this

Goon wasp blindness strikes again

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Zwille posted:

Just pay all people the same? If gender blindness is enforced it should become harder to reason why people should get less (actually what’s the legit “reason” women get less anyway???? it’s not like their services cost less lol

So the pay gap will disappear if you pretend that people do not distinguish between men and women? That they do not meet and interview and make personal and confidential decisions on salary offers based on their obvious perception of the person in front of them?

And that's only a societal thing. What about health problems? Medicine and pharmacy? A field in which even race plays a role (in prevalence of certain diseases and response to medicine)?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

yeah the pay thing could be changed if employers were transparent about it, my current boss just opened up a spreadsheet and showed me what everyone got and we all get the same depending on Abschluss. Good solution imo (he did ask everyone participating if they’re ok with it obv)

For medicine poo poo: just ask people if they have an uterus or nuts, or whatever determines how they react to stuff. That’d still screw up things if you just went by passport/voice gender and the biology actually is different. I’m not actually very well versed in it but wasn’t the gist that women get mis/underdiagnosed anyway?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Treatment and diagnosis for a lot of diseases is worse for women as a lot of medical research recruits more men. One of the reasons is that studies do not want to deal with hormonal cycles as a potential confounding variable, let alone potentially doing trials with women that are later found to be pregnant. Research is getting past that but it's not there yet. There are probably lots of other factors that may matter to individual diagnosis and treatment outcome but are understudied due to them being regarded as a confound.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Zwille posted:

Most of the pay gap is because women have lower paying careers and many more women than men take time off to have children. If you compare young childless women / men in the same jobs they basically get paid the same. Whether that's fair is a question ppl have very diverse opinions about lol.

Zwille posted:

yeah the pay thing could be changed if employers were transparent about it, my current boss just opened up a spreadsheet and showed me what everyone got and we all get the same depending on Abschluss. Good solution imo (he did ask everyone participating if they’re ok with it obv)

The Abschluss discrimination is also unfair tho

Zwille posted:

For medicine poo poo: just ask people if they have an uterus or nuts, or whatever determines how they react to stuff. That’d still screw up things if you just went by passport/voice gender and the biology actually is different. I’m not actually very well versed in it but wasn’t the gist that women get mis/underdiagnosed anyway?

You really overestimate how thorough most medical research is. We're lucky if a study even has outcomes separated by male / female at all, and whether that's due to hormones, double X chromosome effect, effects of pregnancy or whatever, or just differences in lifestyle, is basically never clear. So of course in some of these cases e.g. trans men should be considered male (hormones, lifestyle) and in other cases female (genes).

It's also easier to recruit men than women for pharmaceutical testing, because pharma firms are understandably worried if the test subject gets pregnant and the baby comes out wrong. But as a consequence of that, basically all medicines are invented and dosed for males, which in some cases can make a big difference.

And this last thing has honestly gotten less bad in the last 20 years but there's still a tendency by doctors to dismiss women's complaints because they're like oh, it's hormonal, it's imaginary, she just likes going to the doctor. I guess with long covid this has popped up a bit more again :coronatoot:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks for all the explanations, makes a lot of sense and I didn’t know most of the in depth stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pidan posted:

Most of the pay gap is because women have lower paying careers and many more women than men take time off to have children. If you compare young childless women / men in the same jobs they basically get paid the same. Whether that's fair is a question ppl have very diverse opinions about lol.

Just a sidenote, but I wanna point out that women on average having lower paying careers is very much not a coincidence. I read a study a while back that analyzed this phenomenon and basically found that the more women work in a given field/career the more the average pay drops, even when you control for required education/skill.

fake edit: found it https://academic.oup.com/sf/article-abstract/88/2/865/2235342