Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

I haven't noticed Men's Wearhouse going out of business.

well they filed for bankruptcy three years ago and closed hundreds of stores but yes, they do still linger on

litany of gulps posted:

Which circles back to the original point, that the tie bar is one of the only pieces of ornamentation that you'll find on the everyday-schlub suit wearer that won't attract too much attention or make too bold of a statement. And even that is relatively rare.

i was half joking about the lapel pins just because literally every conservative politician wears one. but seriously, situations in which wearing cuff links or a lapel pin (without political significance) will attract negative attention in 2023 are extremely rare. like they might not be super common in every profession but its really hard to imagine anyone caring at all about someone else wearing one unless its particularly garish or something (which is true of any article of clothing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

All I'm learning is that lapel pins are out, but nobody is telling me I cannot wear military medals I find at the flea market.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

All I'm learning is that lapel pins are out, but nobody is telling me I cannot wear military medals I find at the flea market.

search youtube for "stolen valor" for a preview of the guys who will show up to tell you

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inceltown posted:

the once or twice a decade I need to wear a suit somewhere. Cufflinks aren't some weird fancy pants bit of kit.

Said without a hint of irony

Earwicker posted:

i was half joking about the lapel pins just because literally every conservative politician wears one. but seriously, situations in which wearing cuff links or a lapel pin (without political significance) will attract negative attention in 2023 are extremely rare. like they might not be super common in every profession but its really hard to imagine anyone caring at all about someone else wearing one unless its particularly garish or something (which is true of any article of clothing)

But do you actually think that the regular suit wearer is trying to do flamboyant jewelry GQ stuff? The regular suit wearer is the shift manager at Walmart or the assistant manager at Applebee's. Or the assistant principal at your local school. None of these guys are trying to stand out, they bought a 200 dollar suit and that's that. They probably wouldn't be judged for wearing diamond cufflinks, but they certainly aren't doing that. They might have a tie bar. There are a ton of random dudes just wearing cheap suits as part of their work uniform, even in tyool 23. I'm surprised what I said has generated such controversy.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 25, 2023

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Slimy Hog posted:

Dont listen to the haters you wear that flair

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Slimy Hog posted:

And make sure to wear some epaulettes next time you go on a plane

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

litany of gulps posted:

Said without a hint of irony

Rental suits still come with cufflinks.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

litany of gulps posted:

But do you actually think that the regular suit wearer is trying to do flamboyant jewelry GQ stuff? The regular suit wearer is the shift manager at Walmart or the assistant manager at Applebee's. Or the assistant principal at your local school. None of these guys are trying to stand out, they bought a 200 dollar suit and that's that

flamboyent jewelry QC stuff isn't quite what i meant lol, i mean you mention an assistant principal at a local school and thats exactly the kind of person i'd be unsurprised to see wearing a lapel pin, especially a pin supporting one of the school's athletic teams or something like that. think enamel not diamonds.

edit: also where do you live where assistant managers at applebees are wearing suits? thats the kind of thing that made me ask what year you think it is. applebees managers just wear like button up shirts tucked into jeans or maybe slacks

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Aug 25, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there a particular reason for the North American (incorrect?) pronunciation of places like Iraq (eye-rack) and Iran (eye-ran), that you hear a lot from politicians and media figures? The pronouncing of 'Saddam' also comes to mind; you hear a lot of people on TV sounding like they're calling him 'Sodom Hussein' which has always rubbed me the wrong way and got me thinking about the 'eye-rack' thing. Is it just racism leaking into the discourse? Who started it? Is it the same phenomena that led some to say 'eye-talian' instead of 'Italian' decades back (or was that even really a thing)?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a particular reason for the North American (incorrect?) pronunciation of places like Iraq (eye-rack) and Iran (eye-ran), that you hear a lot from politicians and media figures? The pronouncing of 'Saddam' also comes to mind; you hear a lot of people on TV sounding like they're calling him 'Sodom Hussein' which has always rubbed me the wrong way and got me thinking about the 'eye-rack' thing. Is it just racism leaking into the discourse? Who started it? Is it the same phenomena that led some to say 'eye-talian' instead of 'Italian' decades back (or was that even really a thing)?

Bush family said them that way

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah but I'm watching Air Force One (1997) and they do the 'Sodom Hussein' thing in a news report near the beginning of the film.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah but I'm watching Air Force One (1997) and they do the 'Sodom Hussein' thing in a news report near the beginning of the film.

The Bush family as we know them has been active in politics since the 60s. One of them was president and went to war with Saddam Hussein in the early 90s, well before that film came out.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a particular reason for the North American (incorrect?) pronunciation of places like Iraq (eye-rack) and Iran (eye-ran), that you hear a lot from politicians and media figures?

Legit question, is that not how those countries are pronounced? Or are they supposed to be more like Ih-raq and Ih-ran? I've always heard them pronounced the former.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm not Middle Eastern but my understanding is yeah it's more like 'ea-rack' or 'ih-rack' if you will.

alnilam posted:

The Bush family as we know them has been active in politics since the 60s. One of them was president and went to war with Saddam Hussein in the early 90s, well before that film came out.

Yeah true I forgot about the greater Bushes. Still curious about the 'eye-talian' thing, and if maybe there's a connection in sort of the American zeitgeist. It might just be innocent ignorance that pronunciations like that stuck around, that's what I'm curious about.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

To my understanding American English doesn't really have the "a" sound that exists in Iraq and Saddam so that doesn't help them. They're choosing between the sodom sound or the short a like in cat.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

To my understanding American English doesn't really have the "a" sound that exists in Iraq and Saddam so that doesn't help them. They're choosing between the sodom sound or the short a like in cat.

Isn't the "a" in Saddam the same as in "car"? At least miles closer than "o".

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Leave posted:

Legit question, is that not how those countries are pronounced? Or are they supposed to be more like Ih-raq and Ih-ran? I've always heard them pronounced the former.

English is one of the few (maybe only?) language where i is pronounced like "eye". Incidentally, this (along with other ugly diphthong and tripthong-ized vowels) is why English is such a bad language for opera. "Eye" isn't a sound unto itself. Try singing "eye" and hold the note. What are you singing? It's not the sound of "I", it's either Ahh or Eee, cause i is the sound of ahh that slides through a y sound into Eee. Another test to show how ugly our vowel sounds are: sing, loudly, the word 'cot' and hold on the vowel. Sounds fine right? That's a good, romance-language vowel. Now do it again, loudly, with 'cat', holding on the vowel. You'll sound like a bleating goat. English: a language of ugly vowel sounds.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

as an american i always assumed saddam was proncounced the same way as shaddam (as in shaddam corrino iv)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Earwicker posted:

as an american i always assumed saddam was proncounced the same way as shaddam (as in shaddam corrino iv)

And Iran/Iraq are pronounced similar to Irulan.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I am unable to say "eye-rag" without adding a "yee-haw" after it.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

At least in Australia, cuff links are nice but utterly normal. A tie-clip thing would be considered fancier.

Not that I was in that world for very long.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I work in the uk with 2 Iraqis who speak perfect English and they both say Ih-raq as does everyone else in the UK including the media.

We also say Ih-talian. The eye-raq stuff is purely American English.

klugman
Jan 28, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

English is one of the few (maybe only?) language where i is pronounced like "eye". Incidentally, this (along with other ugly diphthong and tripthong-ized vowels) is why English is such a bad language for opera. "Eye" isn't a sound unto itself. Try singing "eye" and hold the note. What are you singing? It's not the sound of "I", it's either Ahh or Eee, cause i is the sound of ahh that slides through a y sound into Eee. Another test to show how ugly our vowel sounds are: sing, loudly, the word 'cot' and hold on the vowel. Sounds fine right? That's a good, romance-language vowel. Now do it again, loudly, with 'cat', holding on the vowel. You'll sound like a bleating goat. English: a language of ugly vowel sounds.

American(English) and maybe some parts of Canada only. The sound of the letter alone is often not the sound when combined with other letters. Americans somehow forgot that. Look at English (as in the UK)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I grew up where my folks and my uncles called Saddam Hussein "So drat Insane" and it wasn't until I was almost an adult before I could even tell what his actual name was.

e: well, a teenager, I guess I mean

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dysgenesis posted:

The eye-raq stuff is purely American English.

even in the US i suspect it's in many cases its an affectation. you can tell because the people who say "eye-talian" generally do not say "eye-taly", for whatever reason in the case of Italy they pronounce the name of the country correctly but not the people/language, which suggests it has little to do with the morphemes/phonemes and all that linguistics junk

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Killingyouguy! posted:

If you're an artist of some sort, would it complicate anything legally to name all your works the same thing

How do you mean? I'm assuming you are talking about traditional media like paint on canvass or statues or even photographs, right? But, music, books and movies would follow the same basic rules.

To start off with, with that question alone, there is nothing illegal about naming your artwork anything you want. You could name 100 paintings of sunflowers "Bacon basted buttholes" and there's no law against that. You probably couldn't name it anything libelous like "Bush did 9/11", but that goes into an area I have no familiarity with. You also can't call a painting a copyrighted/TM protected name, but I have even less understanding of that. Otherwise, it's open season.

But I'm going to assume you mean more on a scale of an artist has a collection of artworks that they are trying to sell, and they wanted to name them the same thing for some reason. The short answer is no. There is no law stating that an artist cannot name multiple pieces the exact same name, even if the subject matter is the same. Would it make it difficult to catalog what pieces were created when? Yes. Is it stupid? Maybe. Illegal? No.

The only time anything starts to get illegal is if you misrepresent the item when you try to sell it. If you make a painting of a field and call it "Summer Field" and sell it for $1M, that's fine. If you make an exact duplicate of that exact same painting and call it "Summer Field 2" and sell it for $1M, that's fine. If you name the duplicate "Summer Field", and attempt to sell it as the original painting, that's illegal, because you are misrepresenting the item you are selling. It would probably be considered forgery or fraud, since you are attempting to fake an original, even though you are the original artist.

But you wouldn't want to do that as the artist, as all that does is damage your brand. You would more likely want to try and make distinct works and appeal to people on an individual basis.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

klugman posted:

American(English) and maybe some parts of Canada only. The sound of the letter alone is often not the sound when combined with other letters. Americans somehow forgot that. Look at English (as in the UK)

AFAIK all UK dialects have tons of so-called long-i sounds (a-e diphthong). Right? Or is that a lie? Want to eat some key lime pie? Maybe imbibe some cider on the side?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

But you wouldn't want to do that as the artist, as all that does is damage your brand. You would more likely want to try and make distinct works and appeal to people on an individual basis.

Peter Gabriel's first four solo albums don't have distinct names at all, they are all effectively self-titled albums. fans distinguish between them with nicknames derived from their cover art (car, scratch, melt, security) or sometimes just referring to them as numbers. which i think is generally what would happen if you named all of your art works the same thing, your audience/public would come up with their own methods of distinction.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Earwicker posted:

in the case of Italy they pronounce the name of the country correctly

They still pronounce it incorrectly, but in the accepted American-English manner. In Italian, like most languages, the I in Italy is pronounced E. We say Italy with the with the same vowel sound as in hid, when it should be the same vowel as in heed. Consider also: spaghetti, pizza, fiasco, diva, ballerina.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Iraq pronunciation: it's probably originally just a reading of a completely unknown word by some Americans who have learned that I makes an aj sound. Like a less extreme version of Worcestershire out whatever basically. Or, if you wanna go full Bush (it's only natural), a bit like nukular. And from there it's obviously become a cultural signifier, so anyone using the aj pronunciation probably come from a fairly racist background, kinda like how saying bodega means you're a New Yorker.
In Arabic, as far as I know, it's a short i sound, kinda like in bee but shorter (because unlike in English, vowel length is meaningful in Arabic). The interesting part in Arabic is the q, which can be pronounced very differently in different countries and dialects. I was taught to use an aspirated uvular plosive if I wanted to get served fast in Syria, since that's what Assad's ethnic group does, but that's probably different now. I think maybe it's a hard g sound in Iraq, a glottal stop in Egypt and variations of that elsewhere.

Also I see lots of consultants wearing suits every day as uniforms.
And I've also seen plenty of art in galleries that was just untitled, which is essentially the same name.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

They still pronounce it incorrectly, but in the accepted American-English manner. In Italian, like most languages, the I in Italy is pronounced E.

i dont know if other languages having their own terms/pronunciations is quite the same thing as being "incorrect". like in germany they don't even say germany at all they say deutschland, but the correct name for the country in english is still germany. we don't say "france" the way the french do, etc.

but what im saying is, when americans say "eye-talian" thats not even the normal american-english way of saying it, it's usually an exaggeration/intentional mispronunciation for either comedic or socio-political affect, which isn't quite the same thing as just having our own pronunciation. same with "eye-raq" and "eye-ran", there's a bit of dog whistling going on there, it's not just about the technicalities of the vowel sounds.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 25, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i dont know if other languages having their own terms/pronunciations is quite the same thing as being "incorrect". like in germany they don't even say germany at all they say deutschland, but the correct name for the country in english is still germany. we don't say "france" the way the french do, etc.

but when americans say "eye-talian" thats not even the normal american-english way of saying it, it's usually an exaggeration/intentional mispronunciation for either comedic or socio-political affect, which isn't quite the same thing as just having our own pronunciation.

Yeah, right and wrong are bad terms when talking about linguistic variation. Usually it's a matter of normative power, in the same way that an afro is "wrong" hair in a professional setting, which is obviously racist bullshit.

Also a few funny examples of exonyms (names for countries given by outsiders): Egypt is known as Misr or something like it in the middle east, and we all know that Finland is actually Suomi. Eye-rack is comparably pretty good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea i guess what im saying is there are different reasons for variation. some of them are to do with the fact that speakers of one language have difficulty accommodating certain sounds or structures in other languages, which is why spanish speakers for example have a tendency to stick an "e-" in front of any word that starts with "sp". but some variations have social or political causes, which would but them in the realm of sociolinguistics i guess, and thats part of whats going on with the "eye-raq"/"eye-ran" thing, it's intentional and usually has something to do with a bias or agenda on the speakers part, its not because americans have some particular difficulty with those vowel sounds.

BonHair posted:

Also a few funny examples of exonyms (names for countries given by outsiders): Egypt is known as Misr or something like it in the middle east, and we all know that Finland is actually Suomi.

pretty sure that one has a political cause too. finland is the swedish name for the country, and so the popularity of the term "finland" around the world comes from the time when finland was colonized by sweden. the neighboring baltic countries use terms that are much closer to soumi.

off the top of my head i think the polish word for germans means "mute" or something like that.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 25, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Earwicker posted:

thats part of whats going on with the "eye-raq"/"eye-ran" thing, it's intentional and usually has something to do with a bias or agenda on the speakers part, its not because americans have some particular difficulty with those vowel sounds

Do you have evidence of this? the far more simple explanation is "that's how people on the news/at school/in my community say it so that's how I say it"

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Do you have evidence of this? the far more simple explanation is "that's how people on the news/at school/in my community say it so that's how I say it"
It could be both - like the talking head on Fox News says "eye-raq" because of their weird agenda, and then Jim in Ohio hears that and thinks that's just how it's pronounced, and it flows from there.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Slimy Hog posted:

just personal experience that that particular pronunciation is usually accompanied by poo poo like this:

credburn posted:

I grew up where my folks and my uncles called Saddam Hussein "So drat Insane"

i mean yes to some degree there are people who hear it and just think its correct, but the reason those mispronunciations were popularized in the first place is, i suspect, very political

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 25, 2023

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Does a person keep having their period if they're in a coma? And if so, is anything special done for them by the nurses/medical staff, or is it just another thing to clean up?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Iraq is the rack where I keep my spare eyes.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Trapick posted:

It could be both - like the talking head on Fox News says "eye-raq" because of their weird agenda, and then Jim in Ohio hears that and thinks that's just how it's pronounced, and it flows from there.

As a Midwesterner, this is the first time I'm hearing (well, seeing) people pronounce it differently from "eye-raq" in English, including in university courses at a Big Ten university. Have never heard it another way. So yeah, it's not just "they're racists saying it to be racist".

Iran I have heard pronounced what's apparently correctly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We have a cat door installed in an interior door so the litter box is kind of hidden away. Our 60-pound German Shepherd mix has recently discovered that she can fit through the door (I didn't think it was [i]that[i/] big) and get to the yummy "treats" in the litter. Short of replacing the entire door so we can install a smaller cat door, what can we do to prevent her from going in that won't also freak the cats out?