Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

GXL posted:

I think you'll find that the comfort of complicated gear dissipates once you step out of the lab and face the normality zealots

I’m a middle aged cis white male and outside of the BSL-3 lab I just wear an Aura, maybe people have been weird behind my back or something but in 3.5 years I have never been confronted in a hostile manner.

It’s mostly just: “oh still masking?” “yeah I haven’t been sick in three years it’s awesome”

I’m pretty sure it’s just normative privilege, which is absolute bullshit but is also america.txt

Rosalind posted:

It's a cohort study that closed to recruitment in May 2020 alas. I will post here if any new study opportunities that people might be well suited for become available.

Aww that’s ok, thanks for responding. I’ve always been curious to throw in a self administered sample on an LDT but I’ve always been weird about personal use of lab resources.

I’ve been exposed to pretty much every dominant variant at least once without a noticeable infection, guess I’m just lucky.

Bastard Tetris has issued a correction as of 21:39 on Aug 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Bastard Tetris posted:

I’m a middle aged cis white male and outside of the BSL-3 lab I just wear an Aura, maybe people have been weird behind my back or something but in 3.5 years I have never been confronted in a hostile manner.

It’s mostly just: “oh still masking?” “yeah I haven’t been sick in three years it’s awesome”

Same demographic, in a warehouse manufacturing job, and I've gotten basically no flack from wearing an aura at work all day. Just a few questions about if I wear it every where or just at work, and asking how I can wear it so much? Answer: I'm very powerful.

Based on how often coworker come to me with questions and for help, I'm one of the more respected members of the crew. So wearing a mask isn't destroying my social status or anything.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

floffytoffy posted:

Thank you for answering! Dentec was too big to seal, and the only way I could get it to remotely seal was to have my mouth wide open, which wasn't going to be practical. I had used size charts for Dentec and not another brand, so was wondering where I may have gone wrong in measuring. At this rate it's probably better to get a Dentec in the next smallest size, but I'm also like what if it's too small this time? So maybe better to go with another brand.

https://www.criticaltool.com/media/VendorPDFs/DENTEC-Comfort-AirNxMD-Size-Guide.pdf

I tried to google up Dentec mask sizing guide and I'm not sure if this was the one you used. Right off I can see a huge flaw here, you're supposed to measure from the top of your nose to the bottom of your chin on the front, not to the bottom of your cheek jawline. Not sure why they went that way.

The smaller brand should fit you better. I know that the horizontal is bigger but it should still give you a good seal if you seat it right. I don't use dentec myself but maybe one of the other goons who do can give you better advice than I did.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Rosalind posted:

It's a cohort study that closed to recruitment in May 2020 alas. I will post here if any new study opportunities that people might be well suited for become available.

Awesome

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
I think no covid ever! can be alienating. No covid today! is more inclusive.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've gotten COVID only once, so once is now the threshold for the cool kid zone and zero is the Mask King zone.

Goddamn Particle
Oct 10, 2013

Fan of Britches
https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/flo-travel-nasal-spray-20ml
$12.95 AUD each + $12.35 AUD international shipping. I'm in Australia but tried out a test order with a US address and got as far as the payment screen with no problem. I can't speak for how fast their international shipping is but they're pretty popular among US users on r/skincareaddiction so you could always ask there.

Edit: Looks like Pharmacy Online and Chemist Direct are the same company.

Goddamn Particle has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Aug 26, 2023

GXL
Feb 6, 2004

It's against all of our policies for an application to ever share information with advertisers.

Bastard Tetris posted:

jetz0r posted:

Same demographic, in a warehouse manufacturing job, and I've gotten basically no flack from wearing an aura at work all day

I'm glad that the white man aura crew is having a fine time. It's different if you're walking through this world in a PAPR and brown skin.

floffytoffy
Mar 10, 2007

a cat am I

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.criticaltool.com/media/VendorPDFs/DENTEC-Comfort-AirNxMD-Size-Guide.pdf

I tried to google up Dentec mask sizing guide and I'm not sure if this was the one you used. Right off I can see a huge flaw here, you're supposed to measure from the top of your nose to the bottom of your chin on the front, not to the bottom of your cheek jawline. Not sure why they went that way.

The smaller brand should fit you better. I know that the horizontal is bigger but it should still give you a good seal if you seat it right. I don't use dentec myself but maybe one of the other goons who do can give you better advice than I did.

That was the image I used. Thank you for doing the detective work, it makes sense now why it would have been too large in the vertical direction. I just measured myself again and there's a 0.5 inch difference between the methods lol. I think the horizontal dimensions will be fine but I'll spend some time looking at other options too.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

GXL posted:

I'm glad that the white man aura crew is having a fine time. It's different if you're walking through this world in a PAPR and brown skin.

:patriot:

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

thinking about bringing back the keffiyeh to go with the respirator

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

GXL posted:

My wife and I have both gotten poo poo about the masks outside of work, and she's had a few customers say things. But our coworkers and bosses have been fine.

Worst encounter was a strung out dude in rural Oregon who followed us and kept saying "WUHAN WUHAN WUHAN" while we were walking down a sidewalk.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

My only two mask comments have been antagonistic. I'm a white guy but I'm skinny which means anyone bigger than me thinks they're safe to be abusive. I got some comments when I used to have long hair so it doesn't really bother me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The only time I heard anyone say anything was two white women on the sidewalk because I was wearing it outside... with the hospital I came from on the opposite corner.

But I'm a big guy (for you) and have crazy eyes from :catdrugs: and mental illness so people don't step to me as much.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
There's one other dude in my building who wears an N95. I don't know his name or what department he works for, but sometimes we pass each other and exchange the nod because we both get it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not a common symptom but COVID can do a bunch of hosed up stuff to your mouth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8762203/

Yeah, even way back in 2021 whenever someone came into a thread and went "Oh yeah well I've got [random symptom], does that mean I have covid??? :smug:" I could usually find an article or a paper which linked it to covid, so the answer was "It might not be covid, but you can't rule it out. :eng101:" Covid can cause a whole lot of random poo poo to happen to your body

Itchy feet? Yeah, might be covid
Broke out in hives? Yeah, might be covid
Tinnitus? Yeah, might be covid
Fingernails got a weird texture or white lines? Yeah, might be covid
Confusion, psychosis, face blindness? Yeah, might be covid

Edit: there were also reports of people's eyes changing colour or developing UV bioluminescence but it looks like that was because they were taking the influenza antiviral Favipiravir which got emergency authorisation for use in treating covid in a handful of countries

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Aug 26, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Rosalind posted:

Don't tell the study team I said this but you can very lightly touch the stubborn blood drop to the card to break the surface tension. I have the same problem and I do this every time and it's never invalidated my results. The issue is people mashing their fingers against the card which can mess the samples up somehow.

Edit: also do not feel guilty about asking for a second set of collection materials. We routinely have people who need 3, 4, or even 5 tests before they are able to get a sample. This is factored into the study budget.

Good advice, I would have been worried to ask for more collection materials too. But I bet they are much more concerned about getting the data.

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah even though my immediate supervisors are fine with it I got asked to go through HR / Accommodation process because of some VP of gently caress-all's push to get people back in the office. So I'm assuming that's their way of saying No but not having to do it themselves and/or covering their rear end.

There's literally nowhere in the building with anything resembling decent ventilation, so it'd mean wearing a respirator all day and going out to my car even to drink water.

I guess if anyone has actually had luck getting approval for remote work through a corporate HR process I'd be happy to hear any advice. (Yes I'm actually immunocompromised. I should be able to get documentation from my Doc, though I'm not sure I can get them to explicitly say 'Let him work remotely.')

even if you get a doc to say it there’s a lot of wiggle in the ada poo poo they can pretty easily make your rear end come in and work in a hotdesk open office - I’m trying to just keep my office and its a loving grind and they’re gonna win in the end and I don’t think I can find a wfh gig given my skillset fuccccccccck

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

:drat:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Even here in Florida when I had a cloth mask that said "WEAR YOUR loving MASK WASH YOUR loving HANDS SHUT THE gently caress UP" I never had anyone say poo poo to me

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

GXL posted:

I could imagine that would be quite different, I’m sorry people are lovely to you.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I woke up with a very mild sore throat this morning and did the whole "Is it covid? Is it a cold? Did I just sleep funny and snore a lot? Did I swallow a spider?" dance. A rapid test came up negative and the sore throat pretty much cleared up completely after a delicious soothing drink of hot cocoa. :shrug:

Out of curiosity I looked up the current covid testing advice here in Melbourne Australia and if you're symptomatic but test negative the recommendation is to stay home and keep testing until the symptoms clear up, which is honestly more than I expected. If I want a PCR test I have to get a referral from a GP and my local clinic is all booked out until Tuesday afternoon (I guess something is going around?????) so that'd take at least a few days. There are still a handful of walk-in GP respiratory clinics where I could make a booking and almost certainly get tested as early as tomorrow but there's none that are super close to me, I'd need to take public transport or an Uber to get to one.

I also checked my covid antivirals eligibility out of curiosity and of course the result was "LOL, no pax for you". If I was slightly older I might have been eligible on account of being a big ol' fatso but I'd need to convince a GP to write a scrip.

Interestingly, one of the increased risk factors they listed was "Unvaccinated or have received less than 3 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine" so it looks like they consider being unboosted to be the equivalent of being unvaccinated, but only if you're over 50 or under 30:

quote:

- If you're 50 years or older and you've had less than 3 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine
OR
- If you're 50 to 69 years and you have 1 or more of the risk factors listed below
OR
- If you're 30 years or under and you have 1 of the risk factors listed below and you've had less than 3 doses of a COVID-19 vaccine

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
go AZ were bad at everything but Covid apparently

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7271243328832736544

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
i honestly would have said he died in like 1983. getting mandela effect-ed over here

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lmao I'm going to use the line "hi, im what's left of gunshow Poophole"

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, even way back in 2021 whenever someone came into a thread and went "Oh yeah well I've got [random symptom], does that mean I have covid??? :smug:" I could usually find an article or a paper which linked it to covid, so the answer was "It might not be covid, but you can't rule it out. :eng101:" Covid can cause a whole lot of random poo poo to happen to your body

Itchy feet? Yeah, might be covid
Broke out in hives? Yeah, might be covid
Tinnitus? Yeah, might be covid
Fingernails got a weird texture or white lines? Yeah, might be covid
Confusion, psychosis, face blindness? Yeah, might be covid

Edit: there were also reports of people's eyes changing colour or developing UV bioluminescence but it looks like that was because they were taking the influenza antiviral Favipiravir which got emergency authorisation for use in treating covid in a handful of countries

People are always forgetting, you get organ damage even without symptoms.

It spreads asymptomatically in alot of people and you are contagious without a single symptom.

We should be diagnosing past infections with xrays and massive CT scans would have been the best thing, and still is the best thing we can do. But the CDC Declared "using imagery to diagnose covid is forbidden" because it would reveal how many people have had past infections that damaged their organs.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol I ordered both flo and betadine nasal sprays from Amazon (usa #1) and both showed up open box no seals lmao I'm sposeda squirt this in my nose??

wish there was a reputable importer available

I had the same happen to me (re: Amazon on Flo Travel) and someone else upthread mentioned chemist warehouse as well as chemist direct. Ordered from chemist direct; package arrived in about a week, and the seals were unbroken.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

New slate article dismissing long covid using the latest VA study as evidence, somehow. If you want to get mad/take a crack at debunking it, enjoy I guess

https://slate.com/technology/2023/08/long-covid-nature-medicine-public-health.html

Pretty easy to debunk this poo poo by now. Their main problem with the study is the demographics of the study, but their answer isn't to conduct more studies that may provide more evidence, but rather to ignore it.

Then all of their justifications for ignoring specific findings of the study are "this might be because of x instead" or "this is likely some other thing" (sourced by: I made it up)

Edit: Also a nice handful of "bad things happening to millions of people might seem really terrible, but if you just don't give a poo poo, it's not so bad."

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Modus Pwnens posted:

[PESTILENCE] if you just don't give a poo poo, it's not so bad

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Rianlee posted:

I had the same happen to me (re: Amazon on Flo Travel) and someone else upthread mentioned chemist warehouse as well as chemist direct. Ordered from chemist direct; package arrived in about a week, and the seals were unbroken.

Same. Chemist Direct parcel is in the post. I also took the opportunity to buy some of that sweet sweet Novamin Sensodyne that they can't sell in the US.

To be clear, the Flo boxes from Amazon have seals but they are broken. Specifically the bottom seal. Bought two, both bottom seals broken.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Absolutely god-tier opening line, holy poo poo

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
But where are the deaths?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The man is 98 years old and still spry. He was 93 when he performed the quick little song and dance at the end of Marry Poppins Returns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL3AijekRYw&t=15s

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

nexous posted:

go AZ were bad at everything but Covid apparently

It’s actually because everyone is so awful you naturally want to socially distance.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Woodsy Owl posted:

Same. Chemist Direct parcel is in the post. I also took the opportunity to buy some of that sweet sweet Novamin Sensodyne that they can't sell in the US.

To be clear, the Flo boxes from Amazon have seals but they are broken. Specifically the bottom seal. Bought two, both bottom seals broken.

good to know. I bought two bottles from Amazon earlier (didn't find chemist direct or other places when I tried) and the seals were intact for me :shobon: I figure it's random cause of co-mingling

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Goddamn Particle posted:

https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/flo-travel-nasal-spray-20ml
$12.95 AUD each + $12.35 AUD international shipping. I'm in Australia but tried out a test order with a US address and got as far as the payment screen with no problem. I can't speak for how fast their international shipping is but they're pretty popular among US users on r/skincareaddiction so you could always ask there.

fuckit let’s see how long it takes to get