Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

sigher posted:

TCM has already been "figured out," and people are running it like a competitive game. There's basically no reason to even be quiet for most of the round and you can just blaze through objectives with a good team. A good family team will just shut everyone out.

Man, this poo poo is so lame. At least you can have some fun if you get all-goon games together, had some good times with Friday the 13th that way before interest fell off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Man, this poo poo is so lame. At least you can have some fun if you get all-goon games together, had some good times with Friday the 13th that way before interest fell off.

Gotta remember that there are a lot of people who just stay home all day and play one game like a lot of us did as kids. Now that everything is online, it's just going to be like that.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
This weekend I went to see a 35mm print of Alien (director’s cut). Holy crap! Great to see it on the big screen for the first time. It’s so beautifully tactile and I love the slightly rough 70s sound quality.

The two biggest audience responses, sadly, were laughing at the chestburster puppet and the hard cut from the model severed head to lan holm. I can’t blame them though - both moments are kinda silly looking

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Lobster Henry posted:

This weekend I went to see a 35mm print of Alien (director’s cut). Holy crap! Great to see it on the big screen for the first time. It’s so beautifully tactile and I love the slightly rough 70s sound quality.

The two biggest audience responses, sadly, were laughing at the chestburster puppet and the hard cut from the model severed head to lan holm. I can’t blame them though - both moments are kinda silly looking

I always think the jazz hands alien in the vents is the silliest bit.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Since I rewatched Alien, I decided to rewatch Prometheus as well. I do get fonder of this movie every time I see it, but it’s kind of a mixed bag, huh?

I like it as a weird dark comedy about faith persevering in the face of “God” being a big jerk who tries to murder you, and flesh and the material world being gateways to squirmy horror and death.

I also wonder if the real auteur here is Damon Lindelof. IIRC this was his first project after Lost ended. The nebulously powerful, reality-shaping evil black goo can be seen as a pessimistic counterpoint to the nebulously powerful, reality-shaping benevolent white light from Lost; and the whiny, entitled scientists who demand “answers!!!” have a parallel in the disgruntled fans who hounded Lindelof off social media after the finale.

But a lot of the action and characterisation (David excepted) does feel sort of… perfunctory? It’s hard to pin down. Latter-day Ridley Scott seems to value efficiency as the prime directorial virtue. I listened to some of his commentary and he seems very pleased by how quickly he got the film through production. But maybe this story needed a different sensibility, or someone with their feet planted a little less firmly on the ground?

Fifield/Milburn/Holloway don’t work for me at all. They’re obnoxious in a way that somehow doesn’t feel lived-in, authentic, or interesting. They feel like screenwriter’s marionettes, not persuasive representations. Maybe Lindelof was feeling the post-Lost wounds too keenly? Also, I don’t rate Sean Harris, which I know is a personal obstacle.

This has been hashed out in this thread a bajillion times, but I’m unreconciled to it as an Alien prequel. It’s not that it somehow “ruins” the original film – that would be silly. But it presents itself as more interesting than the eeriness and suggestiveness of Alien -- and, well, it just isn’t. It’s a real own goal for the film, which would immediately improve if you stripped out the franchise baggage, redesigned the Engineers, renamed Weyland, and cut the dumb stinger.

Maybe the prequel-ness contributes to the perfunctoriness too. Like, the movie takes some of its own imagery and themes for granted, and fails to push them as far as it might, because of a lurking sense that this stuff is over-familiar, even old news, so it’s enough to just skim through it.

TLDR – film pretty good, much food for thought – but not great, imo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For all the times I've defended Prometheus and argued that it doesn't actually lock down the timeline of the Derelict on LV-426 the way people complain it does, I would have to agree that the movie would be even better if it were a completely separate film with no Alien connection at all. The weight of that Alien stuff is I think the only thing really holding it back from being one of the absolute best sci-fi films ever made. As it is I still think it's one of the best we've seen so far this century and the Alien connections are something that I guess I've just softened on over the course of a bunch of rewatches and they don't bother me much anymore.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

An android bio-nuking God is a good premise on paper

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

magiccarpet posted:

An android bio-nuking God is a good premise on paper

It's very JRPG.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One minor thing I've always wondered about Prometheus is why Noomi Rapace got so jacked for the role. Which is fine! It just didn't seem to call for it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I believe she was just already very into fitness irl. Nothing to do with the film.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Hell in the 80s and 90s Arnold kept getting roles where he was like a sheriff from sheboygan named Josh Wilson or whatever who just happened to be 5'10 250 chiseled pounds 1% body fat and have the accent and you were expected to just sorta go with it.

Kind of makes sense for an "adventuring archeologist" type to keep fit in Shaws case.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sigher posted:

It's very JRPG.

I would adore a 16 bit RPG in this universe.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I met someone yesterday.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

gently caress yeah.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Someone shared this with me today and I'm kind of impressed, in a way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LaserPrinter69
Sep 6, 2022

"I did a perfect print job, grown men were coming up to me and saying with tears in their eyes, 'Sir, it was a perfect print job.' What they're trying to do to your favorite printer (ME!) is a disgrace."

Xenomrph posted:

I met someone yesterday.

You've gotta spray that signature with hairspray or something (DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT) so you can cut that ziptie and shoot worry free of it rubbing off! It would be a shame not to use that bad boy to blast figures strategically placed around your living room.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LaserPrinter69 posted:

You've gotta spray that signature with hairspray or something (DON'T QUOTE ME ON THAT) so you can cut that ziptie and shoot worry free of it rubbing off! It would be a shame not to use that bad boy to blast figures strategically placed around your living room.

I have a finishing spray I use for painting miniatures that might do the trick.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I met someone yesterday.

I hear Biehn is one of the nicest guys on the convention circuit, and he looks it. Nice.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Congrats on meeting Biehn, Xenomrph!!! Great photos.

I have this shirt. It rules.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hell in the 80s and 90s Arnold kept getting roles where he was like a sheriff from sheboygan named Josh Wilson or whatever who just happened to be 5'10 250 chiseled pounds 1% body fat and have the accent and you were expected to just sorta go with it.

He's still doing these movies well into the 00s and beyond. The Last Stand is basically exactly what you describe. I think I've pondered this before ITT, but the fact that his accent is literally never brought up in his movies (or is it? are there any movies where it's explained that his character is an immigrant or something?) makes me wonder if he has a contract clause about it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the only movie I can think of where it's addressed directly is the gag in terminator 3

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He may be jacked from using a jackhammer in Total Recall, so that's something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't care how long you've been using a Jackhammer you'll never look like you've been doing years of juice from doing so.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Finally beat Dark Descent today. Enjoyed it but it was starting to drag at the end and the human enemies weren’t that fun to fight. Early and mid game were a sweet spot of tension and resource management. Would like to see some sort of endless / open world dlc where you could keep running missions and building up your crew and resources.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sigher posted:

I don't care how long you've been using a Jackhammer you'll never look like you've been doing years of juice from doing so.

I mean, years of juice and working out like six days a week, it's not the juice itself that makes you look like that, but yeah you can't get there without it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Name Change posted:

I hear Biehn is one of the nicest guys on the convention circuit, and he looks it. Nice.

Yeah he was great. I even gave him a Hicks action figure, I don’t think he knew what to do with it. :3:

I’d like to get as many actors to sign my Tech Manual as possible, I have different character-appropriate pages picked out for different actors. So far I’ve gotten Lance Henriksen and Michael Biehn.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean, years of juice and working out like six days a week, it's not the juice itself that makes you look like that, but yeah you can't get there without it.

There are quite a few studies showing that men on certain PEDs (specifically test replacement but maybe others as well) who are not exercising build more muscle than men who aren’t but are working out moderately

For example https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199607043350101

Not gonna make you look like Arnie obviously but you literally don’t HAVE to do anything to make it work.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Kind of makes sense for an "adventuring archeologist" type to keep fit in Shaws case.

Arnold action movies after T2 get increasingly dumb about this. It was wise of him to branch out into comedy and politics before he became a nostalgia act. Arnold's always had a shrewd sense of timing and show business instinct, though.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Mister Speaker posted:

Congrats on meeting Biehn, Xenomrph!!! Great photos.

I have this shirt. It rules.

He's still doing these movies well into the 00s and beyond. The Last Stand is basically exactly what you describe. I think I've pondered this before ITT, but the fact that his accent is literally never brought up in his movies (or is it? are there any movies where it's explained that his character is an immigrant or something?) makes me wonder if he has a contract clause about it.

In Red Heat he is a Russian cop. Accent is way off but who cares in the 80s.

In Commando he describes growing up in Germany.

In Kindergarten Cop the other cop pretends to be his sister and she puts on a cheesy German accent to do so and says WUNDERBAR a lot.

In Junior I also think he is a scientist 'from Europe' and at one point pretends to be an East German athlete woman who took too many steroids.

I am not sure if there are more but in most movies it is not brought up at all. It is fun showing Arnold movies to my Vietnamese friends who missed all of 80s 90s US culture and they are utterly baffled by how Arnie sounds and openly wonder if he is doing it on purpose as a joke.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I am not sure if there are more but in most movies it is not brought up at all. It is fun showing Arnold movies to my Vietnamese friends who missed all of 80s 90s US culture and they are utterly baffled by how Arnie sounds and openly wonder if he is doing it on purpose as a joke.

It’s my understanding that the way he talks actually is an affectation at this point because it’s his “brand”.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mr. Grapes! posted:

In Red Heat he is a Russian cop. Accent is way off but who cares in the 80s.

In Commando he describes growing up in Germany.

In Kindergarten Cop the other cop pretends to be his sister and she puts on a cheesy German accent to do so and says WUNDERBAR a lot.

In Junior I also think he is a scientist 'from Europe' and at one point pretends to be an East German athlete woman who took too many steroids.

It's explained in Batman & Robin as well, Mr. Freeze's bio has him as an Austrian who attended university on a weightlifting scholarship IIRC.

God why do I remember this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

It’s my understanding that the way he talks actually is an affectation at this point because it’s his “brand”.

This makes sense. He's lived here for longer than I've been alive and still talks like he's two minutes off the boat; you think it would just naturally soften and he'd code shift at least a little.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Owlbear Camus posted:

This makes sense. He's lived here for longer than I've been alive and still talks like he's two minutes off the boat; you think it would just naturally soften and he'd code shift at least a little.

IIRC in the 90s I think he even had a vocal coach to KEEP his voice that way.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Huh, I didn't know there were so many movies where Arnie's accent was actually explained, thanks.

DeimosRising posted:

There are quite a few studies showing that men on certain PEDs (specifically test replacement but maybe others as well) who are not exercising build more muscle than men who aren’t but are working out moderately

For example https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejm199607043350101

Not gonna make you look like Arnie obviously but you literally don’t HAVE to do anything to make it work.

Eh... I have my doubts about the methodology of these studies and how they're misappropriated, and your last point is doing some heavy lifting here (pun intended) because 'make it work' can be subjective... except here we're talking about looking like a bodybuilder, which does not happen without tons of work. If you just take steroids and remain sedentary, sure your 1RMs will go up, but you're going to get fat (note how the study doesn't say anything about fat-free mass changes in the no-exercise/testosterone group). People love to cite these studies because they make bodybuilding sound easy to the uninitiated, but it's quite the opposite; if your goal is a physique like Arnold, there is no 'easy way', steroids are part of it but so is an absolutely gruelling gym regimen and diet.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC in the 90s I think he even had a vocal coach to KEEP his voice that way.

That’s what I’d heard as well.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is actually Schwarzenegger's unaffected speaking voice now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kayFrIR-Qfw

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Name Change posted:

Arnold action movies after T2 get increasingly dumb about this.

Last Action Hero is one of the best films ever created.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sigher posted:

Last Action Hero is one of the best films ever created.

That doesn't actually contradict Name Change's post.

Trent
Sep 3, 2023

Fil5000 posted:

I always think the jazz hands alien in the vents is the silliest bit.

The Dallas death scene? It didn't look like jazz hands to me, but admittedly the hands sticking out looks a bit funny. It adds to the otherworldly serial-killer weirdness of the creature unlike in the sequel where they're relegated to oversized insects.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He just wanted a hug but accidentally scared Dallas to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Trent posted:

The Dallas death scene? It didn't look like jazz hands to me, but admittedly the hands sticking out looks a bit funny. It adds to the otherworldly serial-killer weirdness of the creature unlike in the sequel where they're relegated to oversized insects.

Having just been and watched the scene, my memory of it was not quite in line with what happens and you're right, it's not jazz hands, it's much more:

banned from Starbucks posted:

He just wanted a hug but accidentally scared Dallas to death.

Yeah, this. It looks silly because it looks like the Alien's reached out to the full length of it's arms and then stopped.