Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

GreenNight posted:

I’m in the office 4 days a week and feel like an rear end in a top hat

fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don’t mind it. 150 person office and there are like a dozen of us there. Those 4 days a week the entire 5 man IT team is there and we end up bullshitting for 1-2 hours. I also live less than 2 miles away.

I was also paid a premium when hired because I was ok being on site.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I’m in the office 4 days a week and feel like an rear end in a top hat throwing away those k cups.

Work-from-home lets me use my high quality coffee maker all day every day as long as I want and not need to worry about other people stealing my coffee/loving up the roast/leaving skunky coffee in the pot overnight.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

I don’t mind it. 150 person office and there are like a dozen of us there. Those 4 days a week the entire 5 man IT team is there and we end up bullshitting for 1-2 hours. I also live less than 2 miles away.

I was also paid a premium when hired because I was ok being on site.

:haibrow: the only time I didn't mind coming into work was when I lived a mile away on city streets and I had my own office. One year it snowed in Portland and I could've actually skied to work.

:lol: at the recruiters trying to get me to go into an office for a MS Teams job. :allears: what would I be working on in the office, specifically? :allears:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It took me longer to ride the elevators than to walk to my office and I still quit when they started loving around with RTO. I now make over 2x more. And I don't even have to put pants on.

No thank you.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
I like being in the office, but I've also got an easy ten minute commute that takes me past all the places I usually shop on the way home, a separate side entrance only for my department, a private office, and 50k SQ ft of warehouse between me and anyone that might want to bother me. It's all situational.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Vampire Panties posted:

:haibrow: the only time I didn't mind coming into work was when I lived a mile away on city streets and I had my own office. One year it snowed in Portland and I could've actually skied to work.

:lol: at the recruiters trying to get me to go into an office for a MS Teams job. :allears: what would I be working on in the office, specifically? :allears:

...as in a job just for managing Teams?????? did not realize that was a thing but of course it would be

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think any premium could entice me to go back to the office. Everything is so much less stressful and tiring from home

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My team consists of 8 people spread over 4 locations so we're always collaborating over Meet anyway. Our office policy is basically "come in when you feel like it."

Other managers have tried to formalize it into a minimum number of days in the office but nobody keeps track anyway.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

...as in a job just for managing Teams?????? did not realize that was a thing but of course it would be

I should clarify and say MS Teams Voice, and its a long-term contract migrating someone away from an ancient Nortel/Avaya environment.

They still want someone on site 5 days a week, AND they're looking for candidates to relocate, which is simply :lol::lmao: Imaging moving to go into an office in TYOOL 2023

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I started a 100% remote role a few months back, at the senior management level.

I've been able to integrate myself with my team well enough, but the tricky part has been trying to influence the other departments. They're often in the habit of asking for stuff via Teams chats, not tickets, etc.

I want to put a stop to that, but socially/politically that's very difficult when I'm just some random webcam feed they've seen a couple of times. No incidental conversations in the hallway, etc.

I've got a plan around that, it's just going to take longer.

I can definitely understand why C-levels prefer the office, and I'm definitely walking a lot less, which concerns me. But it's all about forming new habits.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
can you just ask when someone slacks you, "hey just for records can you also throw this into a ticket?"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ziasquinn posted:

can you just ask when someone slacks you, "hey just for records can you also throw this into a ticket?"

"I can be forgetful of details and this may be hard to find later. Could you please put it into a ticket to make sure we don't miss anything?"

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
But first, review the process for putting in tickets.
There's plenty of platforms that let you put in a ticket by filling out a form, or sending an e-mail, or even teams integration that lets you message a service account.
If messaging you on teams is the most efficient and fastest method, they'll keep doing it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A lot of our teams have somehow developed a habit where you can't even ask them a question, the response will always be "ticket #?" which also feels like an annoying extreme.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

A lot of our teams have somehow developed a habit where you can't even ask them a question, the response will always be "ticket #?" which also feels like an annoying extreme.

:wrong:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That means their success and future raises are based on how many tickets they complete.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I can guarantee they're not. These are all requests within our IT-only slack instance, so these aren't requests coming from customers. And they're usually between T3 teams. Put another way, I'm not sure why these teams have Slack channels where people can ask them questions if they're not going to answer any questions. They're also not particularly timely at answering their tickets.

It's really a symptom of one of our many larger problems where nobody knows how we're supposed to work together because nobody has decided to define it. Every group is different. Some teams don't even have ticket queues. One team the only way to reach them is to page them in PagerDuty, which can only be done outside of business hours.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sounds like the dream tbh

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

It’s like that at my job, especially now that ppl are under the gun for “billable time” we don’t bill to clients. As I always exceed their metrics, I get to find it funny and opt out of that stupidity, but it isn’t

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You have to be careful about being too militant about opening tickets, users can be snotty too and if you're not careful they'll open ten tickets for several small tasks that could easily have been contained in a single ticket.

Great if you get awarded for resolve time I guess but that's a lot of clicking in a GUI.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

xzzy posted:

You have to be careful about being too militant about opening tickets, users can be snotty too and if you're not careful they'll open ten tickets for several small tasks that could easily have been contained in a single ticket.

Great if you get awarded for resolve time I guess but that's a lot of clicking in a GUI.

At my place at least, we get credit for time spent and cases closed, so this is encouraged. I also personally dislike those cases that are 10 different issues at once, not because I don't want to help, but because typically the people who submit them basically have you fixing their entire lives for them lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
we're a smaller shop so usually ppl will post the ticket when they ask questions but otherwise we'll ask questions and then offer the ticket up for logging time for the helper or they'll ask afterwards and it's all gravy. I'm spoiled I think

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
One of the Helpdesk people asked me if I "knew anything about excel" for a ticket they were working on. I knew instantly what this was - a user who needed help with an excel formula, or "how to do something in Excel".

I got to have one of my favorite conversations to have, which is the "we build and repair the bridges, roads, and tunnels for our coworkers, but we don't drive the cars and trucks" conversation.

Told them to tell the user to ask their manager for some training.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I understand the desire for ticket metrics, but I have never, ever seen them used for any positive end. It's always "this person or team isn't closing enough tickets," or they aren't closing them fast enough, or whatever. There is no positive reinforcement or recognition when closure rates are good, it's always negative, and the focus on metrics like that always leads to inferior service, as techs are always incentivized to close tickets so they don't get yelled at. I've seen tickets closed with the resolution that they're "going to" do xyz, which is insane and not a resolution at all; the ticket is done when you do the thing, not when you promise you'll do the thing.

While I have frequently seen people collecting metrics on the types of tickets closed, I have never once seen them turned into anything actionable. Lots of "hardware fault" resolution types never leads to a reevaluation of hardware purchasing. Lots of "user training issue" resolution types never leads to providing training.

The only value I have ever seen anyone get from ticket systems are issue tracking, so problems don't fall through the cracks, and assignment of responsibility for an issue.

I understand that people want to have some kind of data so they can make data-driven decisions, but the systems to collect that data are never well-designed, and no one ever makes decisions based on that data. It's always management by vibes, the same dumb methodology that drives other dumb decisions like RTO policies.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

guppy posted:

I understand the desire for ticket metrics, but I have never, ever seen them used for any positive end. It's always "this person or team isn't closing enough tickets," or they aren't closing them fast enough, or whatever. There is no positive reinforcement or recognition when closure rates are good, it's always negative, and the focus on metrics like that always leads to inferior service, as techs are always incentivized to close tickets so they don't get yelled at. I've seen tickets closed with the resolution that they're "going to" do xyz, which is insane and not a resolution at all; the ticket is done when you do the thing, not when you promise you'll do the thing.

While I have frequently seen people collecting metrics on the types of tickets closed, I have never once seen them turned into anything actionable. Lots of "hardware fault" resolution types never leads to a reevaluation of hardware purchasing. Lots of "user training issue" resolution types never leads to providing training.

The only value I have ever seen anyone get from ticket systems are issue tracking, so problems don't fall through the cracks, and assignment of responsibility for an issue.

I understand that people want to have some kind of data so they can make data-driven decisions, but the systems to collect that data are never well-designed, and no one ever makes decisions based on that data. It's always management by vibes, the same dumb methodology that drives other dumb decisions like RTO policies.
Sorry bout your lovely bosses. My director is using our metrics to get the budget to increase the IT Ops staff by 30%.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

FISHMANPET posted:

I can guarantee they're not. These are all requests within our IT-only slack instance, so these aren't requests coming from customers. And they're usually between T3 teams. Put another way, I'm not sure why these teams have Slack channels where people can ask them questions if they're not going to answer any questions. They're also not particularly timely at answering their tickets.

It's really a symptom of one of our many larger problems where nobody knows how we're supposed to work together because nobody has decided to define it. Every group is different. Some teams don't even have ticket queues. One team the only way to reach them is to page them in PagerDuty, which can only be done outside of business hours.

I mean if it’s conversations between T3 teams, there’s a massive loving problem there. You should be able to ask something like

“Hey, whattup — do you remember which application that we ran into an issue with like the one that’s occurring with $application?”

or

“Hey dude, I’m running into an issue with $thinginyourdepartment — you noticing anything out of the normal?”

without getting the smug “ticket” bullshit*. Yeah, of course, if it’s more than a question I’m submitting a ticket, but a ticket for random one-off poo poo? That’s dumb as gently caress and poo poo teams/poo poo management.

*major caveat: if it’s a repeat question or lazy bullshit instead of messaging as a courtesy then yeah, demand tickets for everything, but otherwise, work in good faith and expect it in return

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 27, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

guppy posted:

Management is as lazy as the plebs and want a thing that can spit out a bar chart demonstrating how productive everyone is because charts look good in status meetings.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
volunteer to make the charts for them, then just set every variable to be n * rnd(.95-1.20) that updates monthly

if the bosses notice then there's no need for ticket tracking

if the bosses don't notice start advocating for bonuses

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

One of the Helpdesk people asked me if I "knew anything about excel" for a ticket they were working on. I knew instantly what this was - a user who needed help with an excel formula, or "how to do something in Excel".

I got to have one of my favorite conversations to have, which is the "we build and repair the bridges, roads, and tunnels for our coworkers, but we don't drive the cars and trucks" conversation.

Told them to tell the user to ask their manager for some training.

The two people in my department who are responsible for communication suck as communicating and instead of just responding to any question/ticket that comes in like that, they want me to send an email they drafted to all new hires that literally says “if you don’t know how to do your job, ask your manager. If you can’t do your job, ask IT.” With no further information.

I’ve received maybe three “How do I do something in excel” emails all year. It hasn’t been an issue that needs addressing and I’m not sending out an aggressive email to new hires about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Also who cares, if you can find the answer to the query in a few minutes and send a link back to someone’s blog post or whatever then just do that - it’s all happening on company time and it’s probably a more interesting ticket than adding someone to a group or whatever. You’ll want a favour from these people at some point in the future.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
at my last onsite job I had a material quality assurance engineer come to me asking about excel -- she couldn't figure out why the formula wasn't working. I looked at it for 20 seconds and figured it out (which was she was trying to reference the entire merged cell section rather than just the top-left-most), and I was just gobsmacked cause I knew she was making 80k+ over my 40k at the time and couldn't even bother to google something?

give me her job I can do it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Also who cares, if you can find the answer to the query in a few minutes and send a link back to someone’s blog post or whatever then just do that - it’s all happening on company time and it’s probably a more interesting ticket than adding someone to a group or whatever. You’ll want a favour from these people at some point in the future.

Now you’re the excel guy.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

GreenNight posted:

Now you’re the excel guy.

Alternatively, you’re the guy who people know and gets promoted beyond where you otherwise would. It’s super org dependent, but this poo poo is all on a sliding scale — if the org abuses your good will once you’ve set boundaries, then it’s not an org you want to work for.

Though you could 100% end up being the Excel guy, in which case :sever:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
this just reminds me when I was told that I would get a little bump or raise if I cross-trained into the tech center at Staples (this was like in college) and once they said "lol jk" I was like do not schedule me for tech center work then.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I don’t mind helping somebody out with issues like “my outlook view changed how do I get it back” by googling resolutions and telling them but I also have no issue responding to “how do I do something in salesforce” with “ask your manager/coworkers” because I’ve never used salesforce before and I don’t have an account to log in with anyways.

For some reason the two people on my team who don’t even work tickets do have an issue with it though (despite one of them constantly asking me how to fix said easy problems they could Google themself more than any other person in the organization).

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My willingness to help figure out "how do I do X in Y application" largely depends on the user. If I have a good rapport with them, and they asked nicely, and it seems like they're putting in a good-faith effort to solve it themselves, I'll see what I can do. But generally I refer them to their managers/senior coworkers. Unless of course it's a VIP :shepicide:

In fairness though, I don't think I've ever had a bad experience giving a VIP special treatment. They're almost always thankful and never demanding or entitled. The pressure to give them special treatment comes from within my own department

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We have what we call a Genius Bar in Teams that folks pose questions to and everyone in the company has it by default, so someone will pose an excel question and typically someone knows the answer, not IT. It works really well.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

GreenNight posted:

We have what we call a Genius Bar in Teams that folks pose questions to and everyone in the company has it by default, so someone will pose an excel question and typically someone knows the answer, not IT. It works really well.

That seems like a really good idea, honestly.

How big is your org and how did it get started if you don’t mind my asking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I will explicitly not walk some of my coworkers through "how do I admin Microsoft" by giving them a KB with the hope that maybe someday they'll actually do their own research. "MS changes so much that they have the relevant documentation"

never really happens