Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
If trey was white then it would be a problem for dak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Lance isn’t starting in relief of a hurt Dak either. He’s firmly behind Cooper Rush as a developmental lottery ticket.

4th rounder for a developmental lottery ticket. Yeesh.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't know guys, the plan of trading a 4th round pick for a QB who has thrown 100 passes and expecting him to be a "solid, dependable backup" seems like it might have several load-bearing flaws.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

fsif posted:

Raiders paid a 5th this past draft. *shrug*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Packers dropped a 5th on a QB who's 2 years older than Lance who had like infinitely more college experience, explicitly for him to be a backup QB.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Not just that, but also a fair chunk of money as well. It's only half of what San Fran was on the hook for, but it;'s still $10m over two years they're locked into now

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers dropped a 5th on a QB who's 2 years older than Lance who had like infinitely more college experience, explicitly for him to be a backup QB.

And it seems to be paying off.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/Danny_Heifetz/status/1695222216470786092?t=Fq2lbpUxI9nWkhNpMSYBRQ&s=19

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sounds about right, supposedly the Ravens were sniffing around a bit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

wandler20 posted:

And it seems to be paying off.

Right, that's what I mean. Clifford's older, more experienced, has a long history of learning a system and executing it even if his execution doesn't necessarily point at "NFL superstar" potential. He's also like way cheaper. Lance's pure raw potential and couldn't get any traction under one of the better coaches of the modern system, this feels like a vast overpay on Dallas's behalf.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Even if hypothetically the Cowboys would want to get away from Dak next season, it's only a 61m dead cap hit in 2024, nbd.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I just feel bad for Lance. Dude just had some absolutely abysmal luck.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's gotta be a mind gently caress to go at pick number 3 and then just like never play football again

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld
Maybe they'll make some stupid rear end Lance packages :heysexy:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There's that new rule about emergency QBs, meaning that a 3rd string QB on the 53 man can dress and not count towards the 46 man total, and can only enter if QB1 and 2 are injured. So that makes 3rd string QBs marginally more valuable.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean, yeah, but also he's looked prettttty bad. I mean, Brock Purdy had limited opportunities and took every advantage of them. He won the job by stepping up. Sure, Lance has been a little screwed over but that's the NFL. Hell, Aiden O'Connell has looked like he belongs in limited opportunities. At some point you have to perform.

Maybe sitting behind and learning will be good for him, hell it worked for Geno Smith and that's a goddam miracle.

fake edit: I feel like we all talked about how bad Josh Rosen was screwed for a little bit there but like, was he? Is Zach Wilson being screwed? I feel like he's as close to Lance's situation as anybody.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 26, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kiimo posted:

I mean, yeah, but also he's looked prettttty bad. I mean, Brock Purdy had limited opportunities and took every advantage of them. He won the job by stepping up. Sure, Lance has been a little screwed over but that's the NFL. Hell, Aiden O'Connell has looked like he belongs in limited opportunities. At some point you have to perform.

Maybe sitting behind and learning will be good for him, hell it worked for Geno Smith and that's a goddam miracle.

fake edit: I feel like we all talked about how bad Josh Rosen was screwed for a little bit there but like, was he? Is Zach Wilson being screwed? I feel like he's as close to Lance's situation as anybody.

Josh Rosen was really poo poo and went to like 5 different teams and sucked badly at all of them. Goons just had a hard dick for him for some weird reason.

I think a lot of people thought that Rosen was a late first early 2nd kind of guy and a a lot of teams wanted nothing to do with him. I didn't see anything that made me think he would be a success and I never understood why people loved him.

Lance had a meteoric rise and everyone was talking about immense potential but he was one of the few guys who get hyped by draftniks and teams seem to buy into the hype.

Every year there's someone like Hendon Hooker where the draft nerds go "oh this guy could be a dark horse" and then draft day comes and they tumble and every team doesn't rate them, never rated them and it was just self perpetuating content.

I feel like everyone bought into the Lance hype including the bigger media, the nfl front offices and fans / amateur draft coverage dudes. Which to me at least makes it a little more surprising.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BlindSite posted:

Josh Rosen was really poo poo and went to like 5 different teams and sucked badly at all of them. Goons just had a hard dick for him for some weird reason.

I think a lot of people thought that Rosen was a late first early 2nd kind of guy and a a lot of teams wanted nothing to do with him. I didn't see anything that made me think he would be a success and I never understood why people loved him.

Lance had a meteoric rise and everyone was talking about immense potential but he was one of the few guys who get hyped by draftniks and teams seem to buy into the hype.

Every year there's someone like Hendon Hooker where the draft nerds go "oh this guy could be a dark horse" and then draft day comes and they tumble and every team doesn't rate them, never rated them and it was just self perpetuating content.

I feel like everyone bought into the Lance hype including the bigger media, the nfl front offices and fans / amateur draft coverage dudes. Which to me at least makes it a little more surprising.

Remember how goons treated Dan Lefevour

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hendon Hooker is a dynasty dream. Keep hope alive baby

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

He has every tool you could ever ask for, is supposedly coachable--or at least scouted as such--as far as being willing to do the work there. Just for reasons outside of his fault has never really played all that much. And it turns out that bit is important.

People bust out all the time who have those attributes, just for me it feels like more of a shame for him than most. It isn't like he created a pandemic that shut down his college team for his second year, didn't ask to have his ankle completely ruined in his second NFL start.

I guess I just don't have any reason to dislike this guy from everything I've ever heard about him, but everything has gone wrong for him and he might be permanently done.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The only thing I dislike about him is his hairline.

I understand that's petty but yeah sorry

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

a neat cape posted:

Remember how goons treated Dan Lefevour

Now there’s a name I haven’t thought of in over a decade

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I think the 49er are confidant in Purdy, more than anything.

No one's mentioned that McCarthy, a former QB coach, also coached up Rodgers who sat behind Farve for two years, I wonder if he can do the same for Lance?

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 26, 2023

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dallas is just one of the more bizarre teams for someone to land. Spending actual resources, even if it's less essential ones on a QB3 because of that new rule seems like mismanagement because if you even get to that point of needing said QB, a lot has gone wrong along the way.

Teams like Atlanta, Washington, or even as a joke - Denver seemed like more immediate places that make more sense for a guy who needs reps to see if he's just a mystery bag or a person who can play. Being buried in the Dallas depth chart just seems like it's over for him until 2025, if he even gets a chance then.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Harlock posted:

Dallas is just one of the more bizarre teams for someone to land. Spending actual resources, even if it's less essential ones on a QB3 because of that new rule seems like mismanagement because if you even get to that point of needing said QB, a lot has gone wrong along the way.

Teams like Atlanta, Washington, or even as a joke - Denver seemed like more immediate places that make more sense for a guy who needs reps to see if he's just a mystery bag or a person who can play. Being buried in the Dallas depth chart just seems like it's over for him until 2025, if he even gets a chance then.

https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/1695238679579824606?s=20

It's over for him if he's a tank option post-Dak, it's extremely over for him if he's waiting for post-Allen, it's over for him that a team saw him in year 3 and still preferred Darnold. Those were the real options

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god the bills are that desperate eh

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chris James 2 posted:

It's over for him if he's a tank option post-Dak, it's extremely over for him if he's waiting for post-Allen, it's over for him that a team saw him in year 3 and still preferred Darnold. Those were the real options

For a backup just in case the Bills would have made some sense, maybe.

It seems obvious no one was in on him as a potential starter if this was the market. Isn't like we don't have plenty of teams who need one. Which...again...brings up the question why did this require a 4th if this was the market? This seems like a 6th or 7th round throwaway trade.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Oh god the bills are that desperate eh

He’s probably someone they could build a similar offense around

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Kyle Allen has been awful and Matt Barkley is still Matt Barkley. I could see the Bills making lowball offers at trying to improve qb depth.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Grittybeard posted:

For a backup just in case the Bills would have made some sense, maybe.

It seems obvious no one was in on him as a potential starter if this was the market. Isn't like we don't have plenty of teams who need one. Which...again...brings up the question why did this require a 4th if this was the market? This seems like a 6th or 7th round throwaway trade.
We have Kyle Allen and Matt Barkley. They are both very bad.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah as bearish as I am on Lance, he at least carries a 5% chance that he could end up actually good.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

You guys just made me google Matt Barkley to see if he was really still in the league or if this was some weird joke

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

sharknado slashfic posted:

You guys just made me google Matt Barkley to see if he was really still in the league or if this was some weird joke

You should see how he looked in preseason so far.

I will never understand why playoff teams are fine going into the season without a viable backup. You're just straight up ceding every game your QB1 doesn't play.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

sharknado slashfic posted:

He gets paid to be Josh Allen's friend

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would have liked to see trey lance on the cincinnati bengals. you don't practice hosed, but you can practice hosed up poo poo.... the crazZzy offense. c an you stop it? yeah

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/dmrussini/status/1695434899430199790?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

is pepsi ok posted:

You should see how he looked in preseason so far.

I will never understand why playoff teams are fine going into the season without a viable backup. You're just straight up ceding every game your QB1 doesn't play.

“We don’t practice hosed,” etc etc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

kiimo posted:

I mean, Brock Purdy had limited opportunities and took every advantage of them. He won the job by stepping up.

yeah that's what they mean by luck. Lance didn’t get those opportunities to shine in games; he got a monsoon and then like 20 minutes before he was injured. Purdy obviously wasn't hot poo poo in training camp or practice last season but he managed to execute the offense when given the chance; Lance didn’t really get one, his "limited opportunities" were even more limited

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I can kind of see the appeal for teams like the Bills and the Cowboys where their starter can run that they'd want a backup that they could theoretically use without rebuilding their gameplan around a less mobile guy. Which is kind of the opposite of the situation in SF, where their playbook doesn't take advantage of what Lance can bring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

indigi posted:

Lance didn’t really get one, his "limited opportunities" were even more limited

Eight games, four starts, three years, third overall. And then you turn in a mediocre-but-promising performance in the second preseason game. Yeah, time to move on. John Lynch must have said "clean slate" and "fresh start" five times in his interview last night. That's great for Trey, and we have a solid backup.

Here's the breakdown of his play versus the Broncos last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB5Gchy9cVo