Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Glumwheels posted:

Are swollen gums a symptom of COVID too? I’ve never had this before but I woke up with my gums inflamed.

u gotta steal some more pax bud

e: this snype sucks sry

e2: bray was 36 years old? holy poo poo yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pillowpants,

thank you

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The amount of poo poo you have to put up with in any context in most of the world is inversely related to how big, white, and masculine-presenting you are. As a small androgynous person, I would get harassed somewhat frequently in my customer service jobs, sometimes physically; probably a big part of why I had a breakdown and moved to self-employment even though I wasn't really well-prepared for it at the time. And that's while being white and kinda ostensibly a dude. I don't know how people put up with that poo poo day in and day out everywhere all the time, Jesus gently caress people can be terrible.

I've gotten a small amount of haranguing about masking since Covid (like, single-digit number of instances so far), but I got a small amount of haranguing about masking BEFORE covid when I did it for allergies too, so no real change there. I don't have a car, and the friend who usually drives when I do groceries or whatever is a huge white dude, so even the small amount of people leering or fake-coughing or forced-laughing at me has been entirely in moments when said friend's not standing around near me. It's predictable, and kind of pathetic. But hey, no one's laid hands on me about it, which is better than I can say about when I worked grocery.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lmao I'm going to use the line "hi, im what's left of gunshow Poophole"
lmao that was a brilliant opener, dick van dyke rules

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

People who are waiting for the government to ‘wake up’ need to wake up themselves. The government would happily kill you if you went on strike for too long. There’s no imperative to prevent preventable death, and any that happens is incidental to the primary task of serving the needs of capital.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

People who are waiting for the government to ‘wake up’ need to wake up themselves. The government would happily kill you if you went on strike for too long. There’s no imperative to prevent preventable death, and any that happens is incidental to the primary task of serving the needs of capital.

Capital is endemic. Live your life.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

https://lunch.publishersmarketplace.com/2023/08/bread-loaf-writers-conference-continues-despite-covid-outbreak/# posted:

Bread Loaf Writers Conference Continues
Despite Covid Outbreak

Bread Loaf Writers Conference at Middlebury College in Vermont continues to operate, amid a Covid-19 outbreak that has resulted in 26 cases so far (over 10 percent of its 220 participants). Participants with Covid have been sent home. The organizers wrote in an email to attendees, shared online by a participant that contracted Covid, that the number of cases "seems to be leveling off." The conference spans ten days.

Organizers also explain a lack of daily communication about the number of cases, writing, "In our conversations with Middlebury's trusted medical advisors, we were strongly urged to turn the emphasis away from reporting the number of cases, which health departments stopped counting awhile ago, focusing instead on hospitalizations which provide a better estimate of how Covid-19 is impacting the community." But they do not note whether any participants have
been hospitalized. The email explains that the conference did not require masking or testing in advance because they were following the college's guidelines, "which are consistent with other colleges and universities as well as the CDC and Vermont Department of Health." They write, "All of us lived through a traumatic pandemic--and not long ago--but we are no longer in a pandemic."

Conference organizers did not respond to PL's request for comment.

We are no longer in a pandemic, I say, as ten percent of my conference attendees fall ill and are disappeared.

Luv 2 send infectious people back home on various transportations!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

lmao, that was a fun read.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

We are no longer in a pandemic. No, the cases aren't any lower than they were a year ago during the pandemic, even though most places stopped counting them. But we have decided it's over now.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1694883606122950843

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Tay, how could you do this

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

DominoKitten posted:

We are no longer in a pandemic, I say, as ten percent of my conference attendees fall ill and are disappeared.

Luv 2 send infectious people back home on various transportations!

lol it’s like when you see a band a few times over some years and you get to watch a song evolve. I see they dropped the flabby “okay that’s a lot of cases but” part so they can just go straight into the part about how the thing that doesn’t happen yet hasn’t happened yet. I miss when it was a little more improvisational, but you have to admit they’ve got their sound figured out and they’ve found their audience

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nexous posted:

go AZ were bad at everything but Covid apparently

The genius plan of all crests and no troughs means these maps are always light pink or light green.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cdc-reports-new-rise-covid-er-visits-adolescents-as-schools-resume/

quote:

Reports of COVID-19 in emergency room visits from adolescents have nearly doubled over the past week, new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data shows, reaching levels not seen in a year.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
I mean, we *immediately* got owned this school year after 3.5 years of mask discipline.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rated PG-34 posted:

no way. are yo sure?? im hearing this for the first time

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Would you like to know more?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Buffer posted:

I mean, we *immediately* got owned this school year after 3.5 years of mask discipline.

Yeah not looking forward to the next 4 months of daycare :smith:

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Covid here (Taylor's Version)

'Cause the fans are gonna breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe, breathe
And the maskers gonna seethe, seethe, seethe, seethe, seethe
Baby, I'm just gonna leave, leave, leave, leave, leave
Covid here, Covid here

The heartbeats gonna seize, seize, seize, seize, seize
And the noses gonna sneeze, sneeze, sneeze, sneeze, sneeze
Baby, I'm just gonna leave, leave, leave, leave, leave
Covid here, Covid here

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Still want one where he wears a mask, but too lazy for photoshop

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
taylors kd gotta be insane at this point

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

how about also people were always right to question the vaccine and efficacy of lockdowns as the pandemic never suspended the question of capital.

it’s still echoed in this very thread that if people had just lockdowned harder, the virus would have been defeated. that was just a delusion as lockdowns were always for the ‘non-essential’ workers.

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rated PG-34 posted:

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

:allears:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

how about also people were always right to question the vaccine and efficacy of lockdowns as the pandemic never suspended the question of capital.

it’s still echoed in this very thread that if people had just lockdowned harder, the virus would have been defeated. that was just a delusion as lockdowns were always for the ‘non-essential’ workers.

:ok:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rated PG-34 posted:

Why are you putting anti-vaxxers in scare quotes like they don't exist and haven't since succeeded in stoking unfounded fears of actually sterilizing childhood vaccines that nearly eradicated the diseases they targeted?

The risk calculation for young people being nebulous may have been debatable while approval for under 18s was still underway but luckily there's plenty of evidence now that the risk for myocarditis is lower for the second dose (I assume that means of the original primary vaccine schedule) than for an actual COVID infection. "Bbbut it's not sterilizing" well good thing there's another study posted here practically every week that mrna vaccines reduce the risk of many of the other bonus COVID features that can hospitalize or kill you beyond myocarditis.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Aug 26, 2023

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Buffer posted:

We start pre-k in 3 days after 4 years of him being watched at home. I’m not looking forward to it…. especially not for my 3 mon old!!! :shepface:

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

eXXon posted:

Why are you putting anti-vaxxers in scare quotes like they don't exist and haven't since succeeded in stoking unfounded fears of actually sterilizing childhood vaccines that nearly eradicated the diseases they targeted?

The risk calculation for young people being nebulous may have been debatable while approval for under 18s was still being underway but luckily there's plenty of evidence now that the risk for myocarditis is lower for the second dose (I assume that means of the original primary vaccine schedule) than for an actual COVID infection. "Bbbut it's not sterilizing" well good thing there's another study posted here practically every week that mrna vaccines reduce the risk of many of the other bonus COVID features that can hospitalize or kill you beyond myocarditis.

Anybody that says that the COVID vaccine is more dangerous than COVID, regardless of age, is either lying or incompetent, full stop.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
'quarantines could never have worked right if capitalism didn't allow them to be used correctly!' yes, good, I'm glad we're all on the same page here, that is one of the things we've complained about a lot, see also, airlines dictating health policy

just gonna go bowling with these tepid mostly-correct hot-takes, better spice'em up good and frame them in a weirdly combative manner that equates appropriate skepticism of capitalists with regressive fringe movements

Scare-quoting anti-vaxxers is funny, because it's a movement that was already causing problems for public health before covid and got turbo-charged by the horrible mismanagement of messaging during covid. It's also funny to imply the threads were horribly naive about quarantining, because like, quarantining HAS been effectively used to combat public health problems in the past, sometimes even by lovely neoliberals in the US, even relatively recently. I mean, China and Australia managed to prevent a ton of infections and deaths for years even by doing so badly in a half-assed fashion. You're correct that the large systemic problems of capitalism/globalism/neo-liberalism/etc also kneecapped public health, I don't think anyone's really contesting that part lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whooping and coughing as I successfully lobby for the return of measles, mumps and rubella

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Rated PG-34 posted:

Part of any good "lockdowned harder" plan was to lower the number of 'essential' workers and ensure good PPE for the truly essential workers while paying everyone else to stay home.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

'quarantines could never have worked right if capitalism didn't allow them to be used correctly!' yes, good, I'm glad we're all on the same page here, that is one of the things we've complained about a lot, see also, airlines dictating health policy

just gonna go bowling with these tepid mostly-correct hot-takes, better spice'em up good and frame them in a weirdly combative manner that equates appropriate skepticism of capitalists with regressive fringe movements

It's a weird is-ought issue wherein capital seeming to be an insurmountable hurdle means that is how things ought to be, and we shouldn't consider challenging that notion.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

eXXon posted:

Whooping and coughing as I successfully lobby for the return of measles, mumps and rubella

...and mad cow disease, and tuberculosis (though that's really just bringing the neglect of the imperial periphery back to the imperial core), and polio, and...

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
What do antivaxxers think about the smallpox vaccine? Is this something they ever address?

Because that poo poo (the virus, not the vaxx) killed between 300-500 million people in the last century of its existence, and blinded or disfigured many more. We are remarkably lucky to not have to deal with that now.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

What do antivaxxers think about the smallpox vaccine? Is this something they ever address?

Because that poo poo (the virus, not the vaxx) killed between 300-500 million people in the last century of its existence, and blinded or disfigured many more. We are remarkably lucky to not have to deal with that now.

I'd put down good money that there's a small group that considers that the one good vaccine because it's 'natural' (based on a slightly mangled understanding of the cowpox origin story), and that they're largely ignored by the bulk of anti-vaxxers whose response is a nebulous 'nuh uh'

I'd have to legit go digging to find out, admittedly. It's hard to tell with only a few seconds of googling, which just brings up that there was a large and vigorous anti-vaxx movement in response to the original smallpox vaccine lol

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Zugzwang posted:

the antivaxx endgame is a sense of solipsism so strong that believers can no longer attribute cause to effect or understand huge swaths of reality. this gives you a population ready to believe amazingly stupid lies.

so, the antivaxx poo poo plays directly into fundamental evangelical death cult Christianity, which plays into flat earth/young earth creationism and the idea that there are no germs, actually, and disease is solely caused by environmental exposure to toxins and inbreeding.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

tuyop posted:

the antivaxx endgame is a sense of solipsism so strong that believers can no longer attribute cause to effect or understand huge swaths of reality. this gives you a population ready to believe amazingly stupid lies.

so, the antivaxx poo poo plays directly into fundamental evangelical death cult Christianity, which plays into flat earth/young earth creationism and the idea that there are no germs, actually, and disease is solely caused by environmental exposure to toxins and inbreeding.

Or sin.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

eXXon posted:

hooting and hollering and making GBS threads myself from cholera

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's a weird is-ought issue wherein capital seeming to be an insurmountable hurdle means that is how things ought to be, and we shouldn't consider challenging that notion.

I do think an interesting wrinkle in this story is that "capitalism" wasn't a truly unified front on this. Different sectors had different opinions on lockdowns, and I remember reading a few articles from 2020 of leftists saying that the lockdowns were less about healthcare and were rather a pro capital conspiracy theory to depress in-person organizing and drive money toward online services. Quite a few capitalist orgs and institutions were quite open about their belief that disabling large numbers of workers was bad for them! A place where this felt particularly obvious was watching NYS government flip flop on a seemingly daily basis over things like WFH, it felt incredibly obvious that we were getting policy set by "was the last person who talked to the governor a finance guy, or a real estate guy." And yes those often overlap, but the specific interest in profiting off of rents vs profiting off of growing industries were in conflict on this one. That rents won was a political fight that I do not think was foregone by the boundary conditions of the universe, but instead the result of pro-rent actors being more organized and better placed in the specific situation the US exists in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

public health definitionally requires giving half a dusty gently caress about other people and possibly even occasionally inconveniencing yourself to protect other people, who you may not even personally know!, from harm

so you know that poo poo has gotta go