Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1695096695565307918?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

jfc

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

StratGoatCom posted:

The lumpen thing was always one of the weaker points in the orginal work from marx, like all living fields, marxist analysis can move on from it.

yes, marx failed to anticipate the modern lumpen: posters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

a local celebrity here in the PH made the off-handed comment that if one was going to be dating people, that they should be financially stable first, and this set off a firestorm of discourse that consumed domestic social media for a good week or so

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Buffer posted:

They haven't really been able to count Manchin / Sinema as reliable votes even on simple procedural stuff. It's one of those "are you even really a political party?" things they let slide.

True in some cases, although this is just an explanation of how it's the party's fault, not an explanation of why it's not the party's fault. They still reward those two with committee seats and all the perks and don't really try to coerce them (like they do when say someone is thinking about voting against more military aid for Israel)

But in this case I don't believe it's the Manchin/Sinema rotating villain duo at fault here tbh. Leadership is doing the whole "oh so you have a problem with Feistein being senile because she's a woman?!" thing. They are really invested in careerism for obvious reasons (they are all really old and don't want to endorse a precedent of forcing old congresspeople to stop clinging to power until they're lowered into the grave). According to their own arguments that judges are all that matters, they should replace Feinstein now because appointments stop every time she's in the hospital and if she drops dead tomorrow they'll have to have the replacement fight anyway or give up on confirming judges at all. But they don't. Just like Ginsberg, they care about their own power, they don't give a gently caress about what happens after they're gone.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Ammanas posted:

whats crazy is my parents managed to afford houses on a single income while watcing star wars spinoffs (renting ewok dtv vhs)

Renting a movie every weekend, which wasn't wholly uncommon when rental shops existed, would cost a lot more than a monthly streaming subscription.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Careerism is pretty much the only thing Democrats as a party and affiliation actually believe in, it's flat out their religion. The obsession with credentialism and 'qualifications', clinging to positions to the grave like they're padding their resume for God, 'why are you protesting when you could be networking', literally Pete Buttegieg's entire existence. It's the party of and for failchildren who define their life by their sinecures and have no concept of actually working for a living.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

this is just people being nosey isn’t it?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

VitalSigns posted:

True in some cases, although this is just an explanation of how it's the party's fault, not an explanation of why it's not the party's fault. They still reward those two with committee seats and all the perks and don't really try to coerce them (like they do when say someone is thinking about voting against more military aid for Israel)

sure. I'm happy to blame the democratic party for its failures. They haven't done gently caress all to fix any of the foundational reasons you can have rotating villains, like not really committing to anything beyond "VOTE FOR US" in their platform.

That is to say the party doesn't view them as villains - all that poo poo is a feature to the politicians guild.

E: Hell, It provides the best thing of all, a shiny excuse to do nothing.

Buffer has issued a correction as of 15:26 on Aug 26, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Jel Shaker posted:

this is just people being nosey isn’t it?
yeah, i don't think that is remotely new in all of human history

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Considering how mao turned social bandits into the core of his red army it would seem that there needs to be some recalculating about the lumpen.

Maybe the people who are forced out of the system are the least loyal to it.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I hate this account so much. anyway Bloomberg obviously doesn't carry out polling. the claim comes from famous polling firm Credit Karma, a subsidiary of Intuit/TurboTax

quote:

July 18 2023
Gen Z and millennials couples are breaking up over money, study finds
  • Gen Z and millennials are breaking up with their partners over money, 33% and 31% respectively
  • Millennials fight with their partners about money more than anything else, above being present and off their smartphones and sex/ intimacy
  • Money is so important to young people, many are researching their date’s job to gauge how much money they make

Methodology

This survey was conducted online within the United States by Qualtrics on behalf of Intuit Credit Karma between June 7, 2023 and June 9, 2023 among 1,005 adults ages 18 and older.

1000 adults sampled across 4+ generational cohorts wow.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Careerism is pretty much the only thing Democrats as a party and affiliation actually believe in, it's flat out their religion. The obsession with credentialism and 'qualifications', clinging to positions to the grave like they're padding their resume for God, 'why are you protesting when you could be networking', literally Pete Buttegieg's entire existence. It's the party of and for failchildren who define their life by their sinecures and have no concept of actually working for a living.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Buttigieg is the type who eagerly uses LinkedIn as their primary social media. If he weren't a politician I could see him writing long managerial screeds on there regularly.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Buttigieg is the type who eagerly uses LinkedIn as their primary social media. If he weren't a politician I could see him writing long managerial screeds on there regularly.

Who's to say he hasn't done a few anyway under a pseudonym?

lol someone that high on their own ego couldn't even take the indirect gratification and would out themselves jk Rowling style is why

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I never have and never will understand what the gently caress they meant by "Hillary is the most qualified candidate of all time"

Even on their own terms it doesn't make any sense.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This is probably the worst insult anyone has ever levied against him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I get tired of people blaming Manchin and Sinema for everything. Maybe that's true for some stuff (abortion I guess since he's the only one with a political reason to oppose it), but it's obvious the leadership and most of the party are committed on principle to seniority and to keeping power out of the hands of younger politicians at any cost, even if the relatively "younger" person is 65 instead of 85.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

is pepsi ok posted:

I never have and never will understand what the gently caress they meant by "Hillary is the most qualified candidate of all time"

It doesn't mean anything.

Trump was the "most qualified" candidate on paper in 2020, nobody else in the race had 4 years of experience being president on the old résumé

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

:hai: it's why such a big deal is made out of something being Historical, even (especially) when it changes nothing.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

it's obvious the leadership and most of the party are committed on principle to seniority and to keeping power out of the hands of younger politicians at any cost, even if the relatively "younger" person is 65 instead of 85.

not quite sure that residents of the US would be better off if the democrats passed the torch to a younger cohort of devout Capital sycophants, grifters, and the nakedly corrupt

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

webcams for christ posted:

not quite sure that residents of the US would be better off if the democrats passed the torch to a younger cohort of devout Capital sycophants, grifters, and the nakedly corrupt

Yeah but that has no bearing on whether it's true that Manchin and Sinema are singlehandedly stopping Democrats from doing basic governance like replacing committee members who don't know what year it is. It's plainly not just them.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

LonsomeSon posted:

the story i'm familiar with is someone scheduled to be executed arranged with a friend that he would try to keep opening and closing his eyes until he was actually dead, as a way to get an idea of how long sensation might last after beheading, and his severed head kept doing it for at least this long, yeah

there are deffo worse ways to go but the humane goal of the Barber wasn't, in my opinion, fully achieved

This is fake btw. You instantly lose cerebral perfusion and black out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nichael's dad is once again relevant to CSPAM:

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1695451282251862216

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Poppers posted:

thanks, i specifically said “the story” because it’s got that quality to it though

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:hmmyes:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Poppers posted:

It takes a couple seconds but yeah, without blood circulation your brain shuts down very quickly. The thirty seconds of blinking story is a myth.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Vox Nihili posted:

It takes a couple seconds but yeah, without blood circulation your brain shuts down very quickly. The thirty seconds of blinking story is a myth.

I thought the myth part was that it was consciously blinking. Shouldn't your muscles still be able to spasm even after the brain blacks out?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

How is that new city supposed to make money for its investors? Real estate?

Ever heard of Irvine?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Why is the media ignoring all the layoffs and the horrible job hunting situation? They were all over quiet quitting and the greasy resignation but now it’s crickets. The economic numbers are entirely horseshit.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

perhaps the media is complicit. has anyone thought of this?

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

They’re losing their jobs left and right idk why they still are

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

They’re losing their jobs left and right idk why they still are

Because they make their money stanning NUMBER regardless of material reality, OP.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

is pepsi ok posted:

it's what you say when you are running on brands of toothpaste instead of policy

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Weird how in the cases I’m personally familiar with there’s more kids helping out parents who retired but weren’t actually ready or are being swamped by inflation.

do these kids touch computers

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

is pepsi ok posted:

It's just one of those tropes devised by embedded ducklos & other lyin' peons that become "truth" when echoed enough by msnbc anchors & lib pols being interviewed.

see, also, "Biden is the most progressive president since FDR" and "Obama gave everyone healthcare."

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
"Biden is the most electable" was repeated as a mantra despite getting blown out in the first four states. they set the narrative, we just have to follow it .

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Exactly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Is this even weird? If people are having trouble supporting themselves, they probably would have a lot of trouble supporting for two and I think a lot of people want to be on a similar financial level as their partner. Money problems is a huge cause of marriage dissent since forever.