Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Everyone gets your kids Slice & Dice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

not with that attitude. What happened to the Punks? gently caress the man!

The punks now exist as an industry to sell ugly black clothes and music that sounds like music from 50 years ago.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Punks are all parents in the suburbs now.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Americans are a conquered people, they will go into the recycling and processing centers going "it's god's will, nothing can be done about it" :shrug: as they await dissection

naem
May 29, 2011

average americans having some money to spend on some stuff has been THE economic engine for most of a century and it’s been decided that we just aren’t doing that any more

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why should you be able to afford stuff? Just buy it.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Just got a new router from Rogers Communications in Canada and holy poo poo they moved all the basic network settings* into a loving app? An app? For your own home router?!?

*port forwarding, and changing the ACTUAL WIFI PASSWORD

And I just saw that episode of IASIP today too

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 26, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everyone gets your kids Slice & Dice

It's still not on iOS from the look of it. The dev was asking for beta testers so I got excited but it's been like.. a year+ I think? :(

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Woolie Wool posted:

The punks now exist as an industry to sell ugly black clothes and music that sounds like music from 50 years ago.

withak posted:

Punks are all parents in the suburbs now.

So SLC Punk was real, except no one is trying to take the system down from the inside

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Isentropy posted:

Just got a new router from Rogers Communications in Canada and holy poo poo they moved all the basic network settings* into a loving app? An app? For your own home router?!?

*port forwarding, and changing the ACTUAL WIFI PASSWORD

And I just saw that episode of IASIP today too

I bought a mesh router system from Motorola, and it has an app as well, but none of those settings are even available. You can set the SSID, password, and wifi bands, that's it. You can't change subnets, dns server settings, restrict IP ranges or anything. And you can't tell the router to turn off DHCP at all. These things are completely useless to me.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
ATT provides us with a lovely modem+router that doesn't even have Quality of Service. I asked for a new one and they gave us one that has 5g Wi-Fi!!! But is the same lovely brand and still doesn't have QoS. My router in 2004 had QoS, what the gently caress.

Maybe if their service didn't suck dick we wouldn't bog down so easily but with the pittance of bandwidth we are allotted, it doesn't take much. Pretty awesome. They're finally installing fiber in the neighborhood so we can upgrade to that but I'm not counting on it being that much better..

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

So SLC Punk was real, except no one is trying to take the system down from the inside

there's a line in that talking about something like "we were all so sure the world was gonna end" and like, it didn't, so wtf do we do now? and I kind of think about that a lot

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Light Gun Man posted:

there's a line in that talking about something like "we were all so sure the world was gonna end" and like, it didn't, so wtf do we do now? and I kind of think about that a lot

See, thats why I like that REM called their song "The End of the World as We Know it"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Netflix recommendations make YouTube recommendations look like mind reading.

Yo, I said "Not for me," I never want to see Adam Sandler's goddamn face again

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Grocery store poo poo-tier bread loaves now come with an odd number of slices. The total weight didn't even change, they are just willingly slicing it wrong.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tewdrig posted:

My kid has a phone now and asked for a game to play while on the bus. We put angry birds on there, but it's now a complete mess of ads and ate up 127mb of data the very first bus ride.

Maybe people slow boiled got used to it? But coming back to it from like 2012 or whenever was shocking. I saw someone else said console versions are the only way to play this now, so maybe she needs to take the 3ds instead.

i think you used to be able to get the old version that was just a game, but they took that off the app store lmao

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Yeah I wish there was a "gently caress off I never want to see this poo poo again" button. I don't give a toss if Young Sheldon is in the top 10 this week, I don't want to watch it, I will never watch it, I don't even want to acknowledge it's existence, stop showing it to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doctorfrog posted:

It's hard to make good recommendations when everything on your platform is putrid garbage

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

When Plex inevitably gets shittier for no good reason it's all over. I give up on tv

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

When Plex inevitably gets shittier for no good reason it's all over. I give up on tv

Buddy

I got a lot of MKVs that refuse to convert correctly I’d like to show you

(why can’t it just work why we gotta do this song and dance)

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Plex was giving me the business last night so I crammed an HDMI cable into my laptop and finished my movie on a sketchy streaming site. Still preferable to the smart tv/streaming experience. Speaking of which, I babysat for a neighbor last night and have two specific bones to pick vis a vis streaming services.

HBO/Max/Whatever this year's branding is: did you fuckers seriously have the audacity to hardcode ads into your actual video files? Like did you seriously weld garbage-rear end advertisements for your lovely superhero IPs to the front of every TV show I want to watch? gently caress you with a pineapple.

Netflix: Why can I only scrub forward/backward in ten second increments? This movie is 7,200 seconds long and you assholes forgot my progress in the last twenty minutes, now I have to spend literally ten minutes holding down the FF button which, wouldn't you know it, totally breaks the loving app after about forty seconds.

Also, while I'm at it, why don't any streaming platforms offer search filtering in their UI? I'd love to filter poo poo so I can find movies or shows that fit my genre, runtime, release date, and review preferences instead of just being told to watch another new dumpster fire docuseries every time I search for anything.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I want to go back to getting dvds by mail

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

If we lived in a bizarro timeline where someone didn't think of the discs-by-mail model until 2023 they would be burning custom discs with commercials in them and the skip/ff feature disabled.

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also, while I'm at it, why don't any streaming platforms offer search filtering in their UI? I'd love to filter poo poo so I can find movies or shows that fit my genre, runtime, release date, and review preferences instead of just being told to watch another new dumpster fire docuseries every time I search for anything.

"No need. The algorithm will just show you what you want to watch."

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 27, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They sort of had that with the region locks . Not quite but you can the similar thinking

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

wash bucket posted:

"No need. The algorithm will just show you what you want to watch."

But what if the thing I want to watch is the algorithm catastrophically collapsing into itself like a supermassive dying star?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The algorithm cannot fail, my friend, only be failed.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

Wish granted. They're all DIVX discs now with embedded ads.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Modal Auxiliary posted:

But what if the thing I want to watch is the algorithm catastrophically collapsing into itself like a supermassive dying star?

I think that's scheduled for 2029

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Modal Auxiliary posted:

You'd see how pitifully small their selection is, and the whole model is about passive consumption of whatever they've bought the rights to this month (that will be gone next month).

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

wash bucket posted:

If we lived in a bizarro timeline where someone didn't think of the discs-by-mail model until 2023 they would be burning custom discs with commercials in them and the skip/ff feature disabled.

I don’t know how common it is anymore given the state of the rental market, but by the end-days of Blockbuster movie rental stores, studios were actively producing “rental” discs that were often just the film and a closed caption track, and maybe subtitles/dubs for a second language.

Realistically, this was probably fine - if you’re just renting a movie, chances are you don’t care too much about all the other stuff they’d pack onto retail discs. But it just always kind of blew my mind that the market had reached the point where such discs even made economic sense.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I see those kinds of DVDs at the library, and sometimes the quality is pretty crappy too, to boot. The DVD of Dune looked like a grainy mess, such that the end credits were completely unreadable.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That is hilariously Capitalism.tm

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
is there a technical term for it when someone is driving, you are shotgun, and every single radio station is playing ads, so the driver just keeps flashing through each programmed station after 2 seconds until a good song is found?

Because turning OFF the radio is never an option. Or turning it down low enough you can barely hear anything.

poo poo thing in basic: radio stations who coordinate so they all play similar ads but they're all about 5 seconds off each other.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cowslips Warren posted:

is there a technical term for it when someone is driving, you are shotgun, and every single radio station is playing ads, so the driver just keeps flashing through each programmed station after 2 seconds until a good song is found?

Because turning OFF the radio is never an option. Or turning it down low enough you can barely hear anything.

poo poo thing in basic: radio stations who coordinate so they all play similar ads but they're all about 5 seconds off each other.

This was my experience every time I drove anywhere with my ex-fiance. From the moment we got in the car until we got to our destination it was 2 seconds of every single station over and over and over.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
libraries have physical media that isnt just books, they have dvds, and theres a decent argument that they killed the private biz model of renting movies.

also those red box movie rents also still exist.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

I call it "drive time purgatory." 60% of my motivation for buying a new (used) car was the auxiliary input.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Only cave men listen to radio in the year 2023.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've been using Jellyfin and Swiftfin for iOS to replace Plex and it's been great, I'm running the server in a docker container on my NAS. Navigating the apps is a bit different and I've encountered an annoying bug with the AppleTV app where it won't automatically play the next episode in the season but other than that, I'm very happy with the apps.

https://jellyfin.org/
https://github.com/jellyfin/Swiftfin

e: I was playing around with it and I think my issue with autoplaying was the experimental player, doesn't seem to be happening when I select the regular one now.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Aug 28, 2023

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

withak posted:

Only cave men listen to radio in the year 2023.

i don't have to drive very much (like 5-10 minutes at a time) so i don't gently caress with pulling out my phone and getting the Bluetooth connected and opening Spotify and selecting something

when I had a real commute of course I bothered but now I hear 15 minutes of radio a week instead.

2 sets of 6 presets and I only have to go to the second set to find a single station playing music about half the time :dings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

libraries have physical media that isnt just books, they have dvds, and theres a decent argument that they killed the private biz model of renting movies.

also those red box movie rents also still exist.

How could libraries do this to us