Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Twitter is really an X-company at this point, so many people have left and they’ve made it so unpleasant to use that it’s not really usable for marketing the way it once was. Mastodon is still fragmented and tech-savvy people aren’t exactly queueing up to hand Zuckerberg even more control over their data with Threads. So yeah, email lists and Discords are pretty much the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

Twitter is really an X-company at this point, so many people have left and they’ve made it so unpleasant to use that it’s not really usable for marketing the way it once was. Mastodon is still fragmented and tech-savvy people aren’t exactly queueing up to hand Zuckerberg even more control over their data with Threads. So yeah, email lists and Discords are pretty much the way to go.

Bluesky seems by far the most likely twitter replacement at this point.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That reminds me I was gonna ask if FF wanted an invite

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

The GDQ Discord has a channel for Event announcement that only seems to pop when things on the level of Hotfixes and FF/GDQs run. I forget if it announced the Juneteenth event. You can mute the rest of the channels in it and just get messages about them that way.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Boogalo posted:

I also feel like as time goes on, people just don't know these events are happening. If you only watch GDQ for marathon content, It just clogs your twitch following lists for 95% of the year. Also if you just care about marathons, following their twitter is useless because it is so noisy the rest of the year most people unfollow or mute it, and then miss any notifications.

They desperately need an email list you can sign up for that is ONLY marathon related info. Maybe a few different lists. One for watchers that would fairly quiet, one for people interested in attending, volunteering, or submitting. It is needed especially now with the state or social media at the moment.

Their YT similarly clogged, and probably in a way that hurts them with how the algorithm works. Like, none of their videos have hit a million views since 2020 (as far as I can tell), and they also switched to the, quite frankly bland, YT icons and have a lot of hotfix material getting uploaded at the same time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Studio posted:

and they also switched to the, quite frankly bland, YT icons

they should just add spike's shock face over every video no matter what it is. instant 5mil views

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

site posted:

they should just add spike's shock face over every video no matter what it is. instant 5mil views

You joke, but the current header images being primarily text overlaying a desaturated image can't be helping.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Propaganda Hour posted:

You joke, but the current header images being primarily text overlaying a desaturated image can't be helping.

I 100% agree. My feed gets a million of these dumped in it during marathon time and I just scroll right past if I've never heard of the game. At least give me a gameplay screenshot so I can try and puzzle out the genre or something.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The hotfix thumbnail and seo is its own mess lmao

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Studio posted:

The hotfix thumbnail and seo is its own mess lmao [...]

Youtube optimized:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Donnerberg posted:

Youtube optimized:

Man Spike has aged pretty poorly.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The real mystery of the druids is how can one protagonist be so dumb:allears:

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

claw game handjob posted:

From memory, Punchy goes to the organization as a marathon is being set up, goes "hey you, uh, you got a little Nazi on your schedule, right there", points the guy out. Nazi eats a six-month ban, Punchy eats a permanent ESA ban because of "drama".

this was a component of it and was the most recent interaction that took place before the ban, but some background is that I'd also been the subject of physically getting harassed at the events for years by these people via things like just heckling me while I'm trying to practice or do runs or w/e up to people actually throwing food at me, I'd naturally been up the rear end of the organizers to actually do something about this and I generally had faith they would since we were personal friends for a while, it may surprise you to learn. Like as in, one of the organisers literally drove to my house to play video games at one point, we were not just internet buddies.

but in the end I am forced to conclude that doing the right thing for me was just too much hassle for the guy and his budding business and they did not want to give me what they probably perceived as a "win" by banning the nazi so they threw me under the bus at the same time. My precise ban reason is not known even to me because they didn't really have one, the communication I received was incredibly vague about it. I have not spoken to anyone involved since and probably never will for the rest of my life, as they are awful people who I want absolutely nothing to do with. I have moved on, broadly speaking, I mean don't get me wrong the entire experience was profoundly awful and has permanently poisoned the well for my interactions with the wider community, but ESA is not and was never worth trying to help, I'm content to play for better events like GDQ and RTA in Japan and I have no intentions of ever trying to make peace with anyone involved, they don't deserve my time.

Hello, incidentally, haven't posted in a while but I'm still around.

edit: worth noting that in the first instance of me getting harassed on camera at ESA, someone complained to one of the other organisers (not the one I was friends with) on Twitter and they replied by tweeting a picture of them sticking two middle fingers up at the camera. this probably should've been an extremely glaring red flag right then but I was like 18 at the time so lol oh well.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 26, 2023

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

There's a Final Fantasy speedrun relay race going on this weekend at https://www.twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qxspNkOuUXlJGnTkzYPHkl8hFSDhf99Jct_hUDpwhvk/edit has the schedule

They're currently 10 games in and the teams are within about 15 minutes of each other

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

That's awful. I know this goes without saying but you didn't deserve that and those people are shitheads.

In other news, Summoning Salt is out with a Ninja Gaiden 2 history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRt7qRwj43g

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The Quest to Beat jimmypoopins is an all-timer

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i fear that watching the video cannot possibly live up to the title of it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
glad that summoningsalt is just leaning into it at this point with these titles

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

(Eye opening info about ESA)

Just echoing that that was messed up and gently caress those guys. I was already giving ESA a pass for the Harry Potter thing and banning trans rights donation messages, but now I have another reason.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

glad that summoningsalt is just leaning into it at this point with these titles

I have to admit when I saw the title I wondered if this was his response to youtube delisting one of his videos because it had a speedrunner using a bad word.

Also I have to wonder if Jimmy regrets his handle now that he's having millions of people watch youtube documentaries on him.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 27, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I liked how TomatoAnus handled it by changing his name to TomatoAngus when he went to GDQ (the G is silent).

Of course you had the usual suspects frothing how GDQ sucks for making him change his name, but I believe he was perfectly fine with it, and it made for a funny joke too.

Watched the Ninja Gaiden 2 video too, it was fun, but I think I prefer OneShortEye's videos simply because you have the runners themselves commenting about the process. It's more like an interview than a statistics recap. I do understand that not everyone might not be interested in explaining their runs, though.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 27, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

TeaJay posted:

I liked how TomatoAnus handled it by changing his name to TomatoAngus when he went to GDQ (the G is silent).

Of course you had the usual suspects frothing how GDQ sucks for making him change his name, but I believe he was perfectly fine with it, and it made for a funny joke too.

Watched the Ninja Gaiden 2 video too, it was fun, but I think I prefer OneShortEye's videos simply because you have the runners themselves commenting about the process. It's more like an interview than a statistics recap. I do understand that not everyone might not be interested in explaining their runs, though.

Some of SummoningSalt's videos do have interviews, though they tend to be a small portion.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Going by the credits it looks like Jimmy was involved too so hey.

really liked this one though, it spins out into a very sweet narrative. whatever else his shortcomings I think summoning salt is still the best at turning the history into a story, and his best videos really are the ones where he builds that narrative.

I like that the different speedrun documentarians have their own little styles. :shobon:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mfcrocker posted:

Folks ain't got much money right now :shrug:

Its because im not watching any of them, op.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-guy-with-19-youtube-subs-executed-perhaps-the-greatest-gta-speedrun-in-history-six-weeks-ago-and-no-one-noticed/
Damned impressive, a OHKO run of GTA4, 81 story missions over nearly six hours.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TeaJay posted:

And lately he’s even been getting some developer interviews in his videos, which has really taken them deeper into documentary territory and away from the more common statistics recaps.

Basically if you like learning about adventure game speed runs you need to give OneShortEye a watch.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
IGN's Devs React series is pretty good too

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Thats.. insane.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

cirus posted:

Those are great as you are guaranteed to get at least one of them complaining about how long they worked on a level that the runner just skipped completely. :allears:

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Jagged Jim posted:

Those are great as you are guaranteed to get at least one of them complaining about how long they worked on a level that the runner just skipped completely. :allears:

The Portal one is great because the head writer is pissed they keep skipping all the dialogue

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently they found some sort of memory manipulation glitch in Pokemon Gen 3 by having a pokemon with Thief steal a mail (with content) from an ally pokemon in a double battle.

That doesn't delete the content of the mail but glitches its item status so you can have a 7th mail with content, which lives outside of the area reserved in memory for mail content.

Speedrunners are currently using this to clone rare candies and to manipulate some overworld tiles to allow them out of bounds. But these kinds of finds tend to lead to a game being broken open completely. We'll see.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cirus posted:

I've found them very hit or miss, as it rarely provides any insight into the speedrun itself, as much as devs going "WHAT" is entertaining. Some do have some "oh we found this in testing and left it because we thought it was an edge case" or "in general the collision was very hard to do because our character has such a stupid collision box shape" as the runner phases through walls, that's the kind of behind the scenes stuff I find valuable. OneShortEye adding developer commentary is exactly what I want. Or Tomatoanus with his explanations and visualisations of hard to understand tricks.

That's why I also get pissed off at runners at marathons who do not explain the premise or goal of the game, this kind of context is crucial to understand why a speedrun is impressive in the first place. I know it's hard when you played the game a thousand times, but you can't assume that everyone knows the ins and outs of the specific game you're playing, even if it's a "classic".

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

My problem with the Dev Reacts I've seen is that the devs have no control over the video, it's just going to keep playing. This means they've barely got time to actually respond what is going on, making it even more choatic when you've got more than 2 people responding.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
And then there's Bennett Foddy just doing his thing over the Getting Over It run.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
my main annoyance with dev reacts is mainly how they don't actually pay any of the runners for the videos that they use lol. they do ask for permission so nothing is "stolen" exactly but it's still low effort content from a major media corp making money off the general goodwill of the scene, something that bugs me tremendously.

i did get asked once and I replied that I'd let them use the vod if they'd cut me a payment and they never wrote me back lol

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
New series: "IGN accountant reacts to speedrunners asking for fair compensation".

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
This'll surprise no one, but the ad frequency is of course maxed out on those IGN videos too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i did get asked once and I replied that I'd let them use the vod if they'd cut me a payment and they never wrote me back lol

Lol more runners need to do this

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
The content that I crave.

Max Difficultly Goldeneye Silo Speedrun Explanation by Bismuth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNhF3gblgII

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
The best devs are the ones who go "we refuse to patch this because it's cool as hell" like during Dusk dev commentary that one GDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWKsugJPy4