Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Mescal posted:

Does anyone know if Holo's holographicity/overlay process changes any permissions on-the-fly? I don't know how I'd find this out.

Also: Recommended: Holocure https://store.steampowered.com/app/2420510/HoloCure__Save_the_Fans/ It's finally on Steam!

don't understand a word of this, and yet I still find it pissing me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

Does anyone know if Holo's use of overlayfs changes any permissions? I don't know how I'd find this out.

ftfy >:3 (nobody calls this holoographicity in the field so using that word just confuses things!)

Also, I just used mlocate to figure out where the overlay is located. Its under /var/lib/overlays, it seems like Holo only does an overlay of etc and the upper/ directory should show you what

Permission errors might come up when something is expected to be executable (like, a program not running a file because you need to chmod +x it), or when a process is trying to access a file but can't — in the latter case it will usually tell you what file in particular it can't access, and etc/ only stores configuration files.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

So like, in my case when I bricked my root access it was because the sudoers file had permissions 0750 on the overlay and sudoers program didn't like that and refused to read the directory. But I doubt this is the salve to your woes you're thinking of ;)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Goons! There's a new Volume Mixer plugin for Decky!!

:toot:

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Can you not use decky recorder while streaming over moonlight on the deck?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any suggestions on games, new or old, that play well on mute as a second screen type of activity?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Gyshall posted:

Any suggestions on games, new or old, that play well on mute as a second screen type of activity?

Slay the spire, monster train. Any of the vampire survivor likes.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, uh, I was uninstalling a game, and my Deck threw an error saying it failed to uninstall due to "busy".

I figured rebooting would take care of it, so I told it to reboot.

It... didn't. It made the chime noise, and the fan turned on, but it never displayed anything.

So I held down the power button to hard power it off. Then I turned it back on.

Now it's sitting there displaying this:

Did I gently caress up my Deck?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Probably not, give it a few minutes. If something's gone wrong in software it can take 10-20 minutes to do a reboot and unfuck itself and it just displays the Deck logo while doing that.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Gyshall posted:

Roundguard, a peggle-like game where you have classes and abilities and you're working your way through a dungeon. It's kind of simple but I work as a projectionist sometimes and need silent games and it's a good one to fill time with.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hey freaks! How does one make it so that an Elite 2 controller can map its back paddle buttons freely on yonder deck? Help a brother out.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Wow, it's insane how much better Sunrise+Moonlight streaming is vs Steams built in solution. Like...holy poo poo.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Anyway, I think something in the overlay process is a good candidate for source of the various focus issues in the OS. Alexandria thinks this is crazy, but I think it's a great hypothesis--think about WHEN these focus issues happen. Carry on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Whos Alexandria

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I assume Mescal is consulting the population of the Egyptian city and they're all disagreeing.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Gyshall posted:

I’m a fiend for Snowrunner, it’s slow but involved enough to actually keep my interest. Maybe more of a podcast game than a TV show one though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Annath posted:

So, uh, I was uninstalling a game, and my Deck threw an error saying it failed to uninstall due to "busy".

It... didn't. It made the chime noise, and the fan turned on, but it never displayed anything.

That sounds like hung disk i/o, a symptom of either a bug or a hardware failure, usually of a disk.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Antigravitas posted:

That sounds like hung disk i/o, a symptom of either a bug or a hardware failure, usually of a disk.

Oh god dammit - I just installed a 2TB SSD :argh:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh, another one could be an SSD being very slow to delete things and thus feeling stuck until it has finished discarding all that data, though I haven't seen an SSD behave like that in years. (Does the deck mount with the discard option?)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Does the deck display the verbose boot process if you hook up a keyboard and press esc while it's booting?

That may help you diagnose it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

Does the deck display the verbose boot process if you hook up a keyboard and press esc while it's booting?

Haven't tried that, but I'll give it a shot.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

homeless snail posted:

Whos Alexandria

oh im just someone who lurks in the thread giving linux support and asking questions about games now n then

Mescal posted:

Anyway, I think something in the overlay process is a good candidate for source of the various focus issues in the OS. Alexandria thinks this is crazy, but I think it's a great hypothesis--think about WHEN these focus issues happen. Carry on.

No I'm saying it doesn't make sense — for a start there isn't an "overlay process", it's part of the kernel and it's just another filesystem driver, the overlay is presumably set up sometime during boot and given the fact that it's mounting /etc as an overlay then it's likely it happens before processes that require data in /etc.

The only thing stored in /etc is configuration files. Like, pacman looks there for the software repositories and mirrorlists, sshd looks there for its config file, etc. It doesn't store any moving parts.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just smile and nod

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Antigravitas posted:

Oh, another one could be an SSD being very slow to delete things and thus feeling stuck until it has finished discarding all that data, though I haven't seen an SSD behave like that in years. (Does the deck mount with the discard option?)

I left it on the booting screen/deck image for 90 minutes with no change.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I hooked up my keyboard with a usb hub, and pressing escape while on the deck logo screen changed nothing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Annath posted:

Are you able to get it into safe mode? Hold the volume down button and the power button as you boot up.

If you can, you can always flash a new OS image into it. Alternatively you could put the old drive back in and see if that's the issue.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Fuzz posted:

Are you able to get it into safe mode? Hold the volume down button and the power button as you boot up.

Yes, it boots into both the BIOS (hold VOL+ and power) as well as the Boot Manager (VOL- and power).

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’re worried the drive has eaten poo poo anyway and it’s all lost, just try reinstalling it from Valve’s recovery image on a usb

Could just be some ‘lol that’s Linux’ bullshit stemming from cloning the drive instead of doing a clean install because lol that’s Linux

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Fuzz posted:

If you can, you can always flash a new OS image into it. Alternatively you could put the old drive back in and see if that's the issue.

Blargh, not looking forward to that. Re-imaging would mean losing all my emulator setups, not to mention re-downloading everything.

I'd have to do the same thing to the old drive since I wiped it and have been using it as another SSD for my PC.

Although I guess I could at least try putting the new 2TB drive into the enclosure to at least see if it works/is recognized by my PC - the old drive showed up as a drive even before wiping it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you’re worried the drive has eaten poo poo anyway and it’s all lost, just try reinstalling it from Valve’s recovery image on a usb

Could just be some ‘lol that’s Linux’ bullshit stemming from cloning the drive instead of doing a clean install because lol that’s Linux

I mean you say this but I've had orders of magnitude more bullshit from windows lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Annath posted:

Blargh, not looking forward to that. Re-imaging would mean losing all my emulator setups, not to mention re-downloading everything.

I'd have to do the same thing to the old drive since I wiped it and have been using it as another SSD for my PC.

Although I guess I could at least try putting the new 2TB drive into the enclosure to at least see if it works/is recognized by my PC - the old drive showed up as a drive even before wiping it.

It's unlikely that the filesystems will be recognized by windows other than as a "oh!!! you want me to wipe this??? we can totally wipe this!!!!! :D"

Windows only supports outdated filesystems that need defragging

Your best bet is burning a linux system (There are recovery specific systems you can find, e.g. Rescatux) booting into it, and seeing what its repair tools say. I would remove the SD card to avoid confusion beforehand. Based on if you can mount the drives, you might be able to image the home folder partition (which is the whole reason it's on another partition) and then install from scratch

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 27, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The only way I have ever had a cloned Linux install not work was because the root file system was mounted by using the physical hardware ID of the drive, which obviously changed. But since only complete pillocks hardcode hardware IDs like that it's not an issue for normal people.

Windows, otoh, is an absolute nightmare around cloned drives, jfc. Just unending pain and misery.

As for the SSD, plug it into your favourite computer and use your preferred partition editor to run a file system check (i.e. gparted from a live image or whatever). You can then copy your emulator stuff to a safe location if you want.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

alexandriao posted:

It's unlikely that the filesystems will be recognized by windows other than as a "oh!!! you want me to wipe this??? we can totally wipe this!!!!! :D"

Windows only supports outdated filesystems that need defragging

Nah, when I plugged in the old drive I could browse at least some of the folders. I didn't explore it really but they were there, and it didn't immediately ask me to format it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Annath posted:

Nah, when I plugged in the old drive I could browse at least some of the folders. I didn't explore it really but they were there, and it didn't immediately ask me to format it.

I mean, that's discretely impossible.

Windows does not support ext4. It literally does not have a driver for the filesystem. All of the existing drivers for ext4 are *highly experimental* and require explicit installation.

quote:

Linux filesystems, such as ext4, cannot be natively accessed in Windows 10 without installing special drivers.

Starting with Windows 10 preview build 20211, WSL 2 now includes a wsl --mount command that lets you mount ext4 and other Linux kernel supported filesystems, directly in installed WSL distributions.

So either you have experience here and used WSL 2, in which case the solution to this should be evident, or, uh, you don't and it didn't show your files, or your filesystems on the thing are hosed and that's maybe why it's not working as intended.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 27, 2023

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

alexandriao posted:

I mean, that's discretely impossible.

Windows does not support ext4. It literally does not have a driver for the filesystem.

So either you have experience here and used WSL 2, in which case the solution to this should be evident, or, uh, you don't and it didn't show your files.

:shrug:

I have no idea what WSL 2 is, but I'm telling you it displayed 2 folders in the drive when I plugged it in.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Annath posted:

:shrug:

I have no idea what WSL 2 is, but I'm telling you it displayed 2 folders in the drive when I plugged it in.

Oh that's probably the EFI partition. Yeah there is absolutely nothing of use to you there lmao

e: if it's correctly mounted, you should see 7+ independent drives listed, because it has 7 odd partitions

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Well, as a last resort I tried the "repair steamOS" option in the recovery tool which said it would try to preserve files, so, ehhhh. We'll see.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Annath posted:

In the future you may want to backup the stuff you care about to your SD card or a remote shared directory so you can recover your /home if you need to reinstall or switch to a new Deck.

https://flathub.org/apps/org.gnome.DejaDup or another graphical backup app can make this pretty easy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Annath posted:

Well, as a last resort I tried the "repair steamOS" option in the recovery tool which said it would try to preserve files, so, ehhhh. We'll see.

Welp, didn't work :downs:

Nitrousoxide posted:

In the future you may want to backup the stuff you care about to your SD card or a remote shared directory so you can recover your /home if you need to reinstall or switch to a new Deck.

https://flathub.org/apps/org.gnome.DejaDup or another graphical backup app can make this pretty easy.

Yeah, gotta learn from every mistake.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Antigravitas posted:

As for the SSD, plug it into your favourite computer and use your preferred partition editor to run a file system check (i.e. gparted from a live image or whatever). You can then copy your emulator stuff to a safe location if you want.

So I booted into gparted, and it sees all the partitions in the SSD:

However, when I selected the Home partition and then ran the "attempt data recovery" tool, it said there were no recognized partitions.

Is there a way to manually browse the files? It clearly sees the partition so I'm not sure why it's not working, but I've never used this before so I might be doing something wrong.

E: I found a post on a random 12 year old forum where someone suggested using fdisk to repair the partition table. I used the commands suggested:

code:

sudo fdisk -l

and

code:

sudo fdisk /dev/sdf
P
W

Which appeared to work, ie - no errors, but Gparted still says no file systems found.

Annath fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Annath posted:

So I booted into gparted, and it sees all the partitions in the SSD:

However, when I selected the Home partition and then ran the "attempt data recovery" tool, it said there were no recognized partitions.

Is there a way to manually browse the files? It clearly sees the partition so I'm not sure why it's not working, but I've never used this before so I might be doing something wrong.

E: I found a post on a random 12 year old forum where someone suggested using fdisk to repair the partition table. I used the commands suggested:

code:

sudo fdisk -l

and

code:

sudo fdisk /dev/sdf
P
W

Which appeared to work, ie - no errors, but Gparted still says no file systems found.

lmao oh jesus do not use fdisk unless u know what you are doing. For a start, its commands are case sensitive. p is different to P.

According to the Gparted list there /dev/sdf7 is your home partition. Mount it using:

mount /dev/sdf7 /mnt # (you might need sudo for this)

and then you should be able to look under /mnt to see your files