Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tulip posted:

I wouldn't say everything. Its not degrading police powers or landlords. That is also bad though.
Thanks to a few shitbird company's algorithms, (residential) rent is higher than ever, and you need well-outfitted cops to protect the wealthy's hoarded property *taps temple*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

It's just crazy to me how short the period of time has been from Florence Nightingale developing statical methods of Public Health during a Cholera epidemic in India and developing the modern Nursing Movement to both of those ideas being destroyed.

We now educate people to ignore what their field stands for, I mean, doesn't that seem a little crazy? But hospital administrators are very well paid and I guess that's enough, the same as university administrators active working to destroy higher education.
MHAs are being educated to do exactly what their field stands for since "administration" in this country is lightly coded language for "squeeze em til money comes out."

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Remember when aspergillus mold infections killed a bunch of kids over the course of many, many years at a renowned pediatric hospital and the hospital administration's response was to run HEPA boxes in the ORs so they wouldn't have to pay for ripping out the worn out and busted building ventilation that was pumping mold spores into the building

Pepperidge farm remembers

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Tulip posted:

I wouldn't say everything. Its not degrading police powers or landlords. That is also bad though.

Capital is absolutely making inroads on police and landlords.

For police - Why do you think they're pushing military equipment, with MIC prices, onto police so hard? Moving towards privatizing police? To use facial recognition algorithms above anything resembling skilled investigation work? There's profits to be extracted from equipment procurement, dropping the higher end of cop workers to make room for more equipment/services budget, and more profits from privatizing security to bypass unions.

For landlords - what do you think large scale corporations buying up real estate and the massive rise of large scale price fixing via computer means for the landlord class? That'll be the billionaires winning and nobody else. Landlords are only at the start of the poo poo buffet but they've got plenty of servings coming.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tulip posted:

I think this is a great place for this and thought this was quite interesting. I'll likely have to think a little more before I have real thoughts. I do think the part about "if they were paid more" is a valuable part of this: prestige of professions in the US is largely just a function of pay. The more paid the more prestige, the more dignity, the more benefits.

I was surprised how clear many of the, I'm guessing older, nurses on reddit were about that. Taking pride in your appearance with a uniform, even (and imo especially) if it's a little impractical signifies that you're a cut above. In other words, you do it for yourself and pride in your profession. When you get paid dick all it feels like something your employer is forcing on you, "I don't get paid enough for this poo poo". Why would you take pride in wearing a white watchband, only white socks etc. etc. if you're paid hardly anything?

As you said, if that means you aren't respected by society, and don't feel self respect or professional respect as a result. I know this sounds derogatory but I'm sure nurses would just feel like housekeepers if they still had to dress sharply but weren't paid well and weren't respected. Which I think is related, because in Canada some nurses' caps did start out as maids' headwear but as the profession became more prestigious the women took ownership of the symbol and the caps changed.

It makes sense if the reverse is true. The worse you feel about your "job" as the work undergoes deprofessionalization, the worse you would feel about dressing up for it, or identifying with it.

Tulip posted:

But policing has also been deprofessionalized in who they select, how they train them, what they expect from them. It really is high school C average bullies in many departments now, even ones that used to be ridiculously restrictive. They are just there to brutalize people and so the need for public symbols that represented trust - uniform tunics, gleaming buttons, shining boots, peaked caps - have given way to ball caps and short sleeve uniforms with giant loving vests that place the gun, baton, taser and pepper spray front and centre because that's what police are now. Why would they feel the need to dress any differently?

I know white glove inspections didn't make the police's role in upholding capital any different in a fundamental way, but the fact that they don't need to keep up appearances with the public probably isn't coincidental.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DominoKitten posted:

Evidence of leaky protection following COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection in an incarcerated population, Nature Communications, Open Access Published 19 August 2023

As summarized on Twitter by Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at Yale University, and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute):

Feels exploitative to incarcerated people to research like this instead of making things safer for them, but does allow for tracking in a way you can't in more humane conditions.

This is good stuff. Hopefully more and more data like this can keep pushing to add ventilation/filtration. Instead of the "it's so loving contagious, there is nothing we can do, so whatever" line of thought.

Schools are "cellmate is infected" level of exposure though, so bleah.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Frosted Flake posted:

It's just crazy to me how short the period of time has been from Florence Nightingale developing statical methods of Public Health during a Cholera epidemic in India and developing the modern Nursing Movement to both of those ideas being destroyed.

We now educate people to ignore what their field stands for, I mean, doesn't that seem a little crazy? But hospital administrators are very well paid and I guess that's enough, the same as university administrators active working to destroy higher education.

Clara Barton's house looked like an absolute poo poo heap after 50 years of neglect before the National Park Service took it over and started maintaining it

60 years later and it still looks like the entirely neglected, run down Victorian house in the otherwise gentrified neighborhood that it is

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fosborb posted:

Clara Barton's house looked like an absolute poo poo heap after 50 years of neglect before the National Park Service took it over and started maintaining it

60 years later and it still looks like the entirely neglected, run down Victorian house in the otherwise gentrified neighborhood that it is

The virtual tour straight up not working and webpage that looks like it's from 1996 seems appropriate then

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Complications posted:

Capital is absolutely making inroads on police and landlords.

For police - Why do you think they're pushing military equipment, with MIC prices, onto police so hard? Moving towards privatizing police? To use facial recognition algorithms above anything resembling skilled investigation work? There's profits to be extracted from equipment procurement, dropping the higher end of cop workers to make room for more equipment/services budget, and more profits from privatizing security to bypass unions.

For landlords - what do you think large scale corporations buying up real estate and the massive rise of large scale price fixing via computer means for the landlord class? That'll be the billionaires winning and nobody else. Landlords are only at the start of the poo poo buffet but they've got plenty of servings coming.

Frosted Flake posted:

I was surprised how clear many of the, I'm guessing older, nurses on reddit were about that. Taking pride in your appearance with a uniform, even (and imo especially) if it's a little impractical signifies that you're a cut above. In other words, you do it for yourself and pride in your profession. When you get paid dick all it feels like something your employer is forcing on you, "I don't get paid enough for this poo poo". Why would you take pride in wearing a white watchband, only white socks etc. etc. if you're paid hardly anything?

As you said, if that means you aren't respected by society, and don't feel self respect or professional respect as a result. I know this sounds derogatory but I'm sure nurses would just feel like housekeepers if they still had to dress sharply but weren't paid well and weren't respected. Which I think is related, because in Canada some nurses' caps did start out as maids' headwear but as the profession became more prestigious the women took ownership of the symbol and the caps changed.

It makes sense if the reverse is true. The worse you feel about your "job" as the work undergoes deprofessionalization, the worse you would feel about dressing up for it, or identifying with it.

But policing has also been deprofessionalized in who they select, how they train them, what they expect from them. It really is high school C average bullies in many departments now, even ones that used to be ridiculously restrictive. They are just there to brutalize people and so the need for public symbols that represented trust - uniform tunics, gleaming buttons, shining boots, peaked caps - have given way to ball caps and short sleeve uniforms with giant loving vests that place the gun, baton, taser and pepper spray front and centre because that's what police are now. Why would they feel the need to dress any differently?

I know white glove inspections didn't make the police's role in upholding capital any different in a fundamental way, but the fact that they don't need to keep up appearances with the public probably isn't coincidental.

My point about cops and landlords is not so much about their level of professionalization so much as their power and latitude in the world. The trend in the workplace is that we are creating a caste system where there is an owner caste that is by dint of their legal status is immune to, uh, any feedback whatsoever, then an administrative caste that is expected to be competent at a very limited skillset but placed in great managerial power over fields where knowledge of domain is treated almost as a flaw, while the rest of the workforce is facing increasing micromanagement and deskilling where we have less and less agency over even the nature of our work.

Police on the other hand are undergoing a different process where they are also a caste but they're almost more similar to the owner caste: they are increasingly immune to any consequence for any bad action (other than betraying the police lol) and are just fully above and outside the law that the rest of us are subject to. They have that classic freedom, the freedom to expect from others without reciprocating. The freedom of rights without obligations.

Re: uniforms, I think you're basically right FF. I used to work as a caterer. I had to wear a tux, which is like the height of fancy dress for a job, but the job paid poo poo and was basically just being treated like furniture by rich fucks, so it didn't feel like 'taking pride in my appearance,' it felt like wearing coveralls or just any other blue-collar rear end uniform. If anything the disconnect made it feel kind of like a form of ritual humiliation and mockery.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tulip posted:

Re: uniforms, I think you're basically right FF. I used to work as a caterer. I had to wear a tux, which is like the height of fancy dress for a job, but the job paid poo poo and was basically just being treated like furniture by rich fucks, so it didn't feel like 'taking pride in my appearance,' it felt like wearing coveralls or just any other blue-collar rear end uniform. If anything the disconnect made it feel kind of like a form of ritual humiliation and mockery.

That's a perfect example. I feel like Party Down did a great job communicating that, though I don't know how true to life it is.

When you put it that way, considering some of the nursing horror stories ITT, it would feel like ritual humiliation and mockery to bleach, starch and press clothes for a job that gave out trash bags for PPE.

Tulip posted:

My point about cops and landlords is not so much about their level of professionalization so much as their power and latitude in the world. The trend in the workplace is that we are creating a caste system where there is an owner caste that is by dint of their legal status is immune to, uh, any feedback whatsoever, then an administrative caste that is expected to be competent at a very limited skillset but placed in great managerial power over fields where knowledge of domain is treated almost as a flaw, while the rest of the workforce is facing increasing micromanagement and deskilling where we have less and less agency over even the nature of our work.

I think you nailed it. That captures the dynamic in the military, education and Canadian Civil Service, for sure. Particularly domain knowledge. I know someone with a PhD working as an analyst in that field and it's seen is negative because of concern they're "too invested" and "biased" in their policy recommendations.

:psyduck:

Tulip posted:

Police on the other hand are undergoing a different process where they are also a caste but they're almost more similar to the owner caste: they are increasingly immune to any consequence for any bad action (other than betraying the police lol) and are just fully above and outside the law that the rest of us are subject to. They have that classic freedom, the freedom to expect from others without reciprocating. The freedom of rights without obligations.

I'm curious about this too. When professional policing started with the Met, it was incredibly regimented. Men needed permission from their COs to marry, they were subject to incredible levels of discipline over all areas of their life. They were expected to be a model of citizenship.

Again, I realize reality did not always match ideals and ultimately it was still about protecting property, but the reality is that if you look at the Bobby on the Beat - it was incredibly demanding, the same goes for men assigned to police boxes. They had to do an incredibly tiring task, on a precise schedule, taking detailed notes, while also being composed enough to be the public face of The Law on their beat, know anyone who was out of place etc . etc.

I could never imagine demands anything like that being place on police now, and I'm curious why. American cops seem to just... drive wherever... while on patrol. I don't even know what you'd call the current model of policing - police aren't ever visible, let alone routinely interacting with the public in a neutral-to-positive, certainly non-violent, role. It's almost like police presence is "nothing or tactical team".

e: and I'm not saying you would want contemporary American cops walking beats, talking to every shop owner on their street, trying to learn the names of everyone they see on a regular basis in the neighbourhood - and there are a million reasons why - but of course, police who did that wouldn't resemble the current form of American cop. A bit of a chicken or egg problem there as well, because you can't turn them into constables now, even if you wanted to, and nobody wants to.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:00 on Aug 27, 2023

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

DominoKitten posted:

Evidence of leaky protection following COVID-19 vaccination and SARS-CoV-2 infection in an incarcerated population, Nature Communications, Open Access Published 19 August 2023

As summarized on Twitter by Prof. Akiko Iwasaki (Sterling Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology at Yale University, and an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute):

Feels exploitative to incarcerated people to research like this instead of making things safer for them, but does allow for tracking in a way you can't in more humane conditions.

Oh wow what's that trusting your immune system doesn't work when the virus replicates faster than the body can mount a response? lol gee whiz

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

DominoKitten posted:

quote:

How? The authors used the existing database of the Connecticut Department of Correction, where infection data based on high frequency of testing for SARS-CoV-2 on ~9300 residents across 13 facilities were available. (3/)

Looks to me like it was a study looking at already gathered data, so this wasn't a situation of putting prisoners into rooms with varying levels of covid on purpose to see the end result, which would be a very bad thing to do. But I don't have the time to read the entire study right now so perhaps I'm wrong.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

Tulip posted:

good posts

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
got called by the CDC again, apparently they pretty regularly do surveys like this? they mentioned this time it was an immunization survey (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/nis/participant/index.html) but their site didn’t really say where the data winds up. anyone know what the results of previous surveys like this were or where to find them?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

harrygomm posted:

got called by the CDC again, apparently they pretty regularly do surveys like this? they mentioned this time it was an immunization survey (https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/nis/participant/index.html) but their site didn’t really say where the data winds up. anyone know what the results of previous surveys like this were or where to find them?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/nis/resources-publications.html

Edit to be clear, you need to click a couple of times. So as an example: click "ChildVaxView Publications and Presentations", then click "Vaccination Coverage by Age 24 Months Among Children Born in 2018 and 2019 — National Immunization Survey–Child, United States, 2019–2021"

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Aug 28, 2023

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Hospital currently out of Paxlovid lol. Still think hoarding is harmless???

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Poppers posted:

hoarding money clearly is because otherwise they would have kept larger stocks of medicine during an epidemic

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

although your dispensary might have just had a visit from the paxlovid inspector

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Poppers posted:

yes the 500 people on earth who got a paxlovid rx without getting Covid put a huge dent in the 40 million global courses

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Poppers posted:

holy poo poo really? i should stock up

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
me: willingly spreading Covid at raves *I cannot believe those doomers used all the paxlovid*

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

shortages are impossible in a capitalist system since someone can always choose to pay more and thus have access to more supply than at the previous price point

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“My hospital is rationing N95s. This must be the work of those perfidious drywallers.”

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Poppers posted:

*monkey's paw curls*

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

hey everyone I hear pax shortages are coming, time to stock up

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

bedpan posted:

shortages are impossible in a capitalist system since someone can always choose to pay more and thus have access to more supply than at the previous price point

watching rich folks run headlong into hard rear end librarians who wouldn't let them into the last day of the Davinci exhibit was loving incredible. people were pulling out checkbooks and poo poo to try to buy their way in

:psyduck:

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
a nation of 400 million people ordered 20 million courses of paxlovid. the average person is getting Covid twice a year.

how dare you use paxlovid, doomer, think of the rich people and politicians.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Masks are always easier to make and get then a fiddly little molecule like Pax, and there's no mutation that defeats electrostatic, which, besides being canadian, I put my faith in them and the up to date jabs.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Poppers posted:

Only 14,654,538/20,000,000 courses had been delivered by July 2023, so unless demand rocketed to the moon over the last month, that is not a supply issue. It is either a logistics issue or your hospital not "hoarding".

https://aspr.hhs.gov/COVID-19/Therapeutics/orders/Pages/default.aspx

(also supposedly <10 million doses had been used, though that number is less certain)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Pingui posted:

Only 14,654,538/20,000,000 courses had been delivered by July 2023, so unless demand rocketed to the moon over the last month, that is not a supply issue. It is either a logistics issue or your hospital not "hoarding".

(also supposedly <10 million doses had been used, though that number is less certain)

Well, uh, there is some chance that it might be going up if some of the anecdotes, indirect indicators or that poo poo with the kids is representative.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 00:47 on Aug 28, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

Well, uh, there is some chance that it might be going up if some of the anecdotes or that poo poo with the kids is representative.

Idiot. COVID is endemic. You get that? ENDemic

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pingui posted:

still plenty of molnupiravir available too which I've been told is exactly the same as and is in fact preferable over paxlovid? at least according to people posting their interactions with teledocs

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

bedpan posted:

still plenty of molnupiravir available too which I've been told is exactly the same as and is in fact preferable over paxlovid? at least according to people posting their interactions with teledocs

if I wanted more cancer that’s what I would take

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

StratGoatCom posted:

Well, uh, there is some chance that it might be going up if some of the anecdotes or that poo poo with the kids is representative.

Not at that speed; literally zero chance per what they write at the link (threshold supply is reupped monthly), so unless something fundamentally changed and no one noticed or questioned why millions more courses are suddenly shipped out. That does not seem likely at all.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Sorry, I'll return some of these 6 million courses I'm hoarding.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

RandomBlue posted:

Sorry, I'll return some of these 6 million courses I'm hoarding.

I don’t think pharmacies can reissue returned prescriptions. you better get Covid 6 million times to use it all up

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nexous posted:

I don’t think pharmacies can reissue returned prescriptions. you better get Covid 6 million times to use it all up

So back to plan A then.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I don't like to waste things, valuable prescription especially, so at the end of every year I pour all of my unused and extra prescription medication into a bag and give it to the first person who will take it

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
The police here do old prescription drug disposal events which feels like a trap

they can’t have my drugs, even if they are old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
When I got my paxlovid prescription this week, the pharmacist had crossed out the 2023 expiration date and wrote 2024….

It wasn’t expired when I got it, I had three weeks left.