Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's Cr1TiKaL, but he's much more hygienic than Asmongold.

Ah ok! Similar look.

It’s funny I seem to prefer the game streamers that don’t appear on camera, mostly CoD DMZ guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Does he own starforge?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
in some capacity through otk yes

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Romes128 posted:

he defended andrew tate when he got arrested and is pretty toxic in general.

I don't recall him defending andrew tate, he was pretty transparent about being excited about his arrest because it would be great content, that dumb tate guy gets a lot of eyeballs whether it be hateclicks or chuds

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I used to have this vague notion of wanting to try streaming and leveraged 2020 to procure enough hardware to be able to do it... only to realize that not only would this fundamentally change my relationship with the games I played because of the implications of monetization, I also didnt want to do it for hours at a stretch or have to generate interaction and commentary while doing it

And I guess some people get over it or revel in it but the first part undoubtedly still happens and they end up chasing content, and that can have detrimental effects

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah, everything including our dumb stupid goon hobbies have been commodified to the point where it's hard to even enjoy a videogame without wondering whether you're missing out by not uploading a clip of your bg3 character getting blown tf up by an explosive barrel

kliras fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 27, 2023

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Also no matter how funny you potentially are, streaming is like:
"Oh hi pooplord654, thanks for the two dollars. What's my favorite ps4 game and what do I think about the war in Ukraine?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's Cr1TiKaL, but he's much more hygienic than Asmongold.
That one is weird, too. I saw once a clip where he was making scrambled eggs for a sandwich or some poo poo. And he was fumbling around like a tool.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

That one is weird, too. I saw once a clip where he was making scrambled eggs for a sandwich or some poo poo. And he was fumbling around like a tool.

Parasocial relationship with streamers even extend to randomly hating someone who did a cooking stream lol

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

kliras posted:

yeah, everything including our dumb stupid goon hobbies have been commodified to the point where it's hard to even enjoy a videogame without wondering whether you're missing out by not uploading a clip of your bg3 character getting blown tf up by an explosive barrel

That's pretty messed up, have you considered taking a break from it?

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!
I tried streaming Dwarf Fortress a few times, first time out I had a really nice time and had a pleasant chat with the three people who stuck around for the two hours, the next two sessions it was just me, which was disappointing after putting in the work to make the stream look and sound semi-competent. I haven't bothered since. I imagine there's some sweet spot where you're not sitting alone on webcam talking to no one and having so many people in the chat that it becomes impossible to follow or police, but gently caress if I'm going to try to find it. It also struck me based on the state and decor of the bedrooms of big streamers that I have the exact opposite personality and aesthetic sense to the sort of person who does well on Twitch.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Fruits of the sea posted:

That's pretty messed up, have you considered taking a break from it?
oh i'm not in that space, but i heard that voice in my head prodding me to consider it back in the day. i have a measly gtx 1070, so there's neither temptation nor opportunity to get into the tedium of that grind for me

i'm also such a luddite that i hated being in photos when i was travelling for more than a decade, and now some people can't go on vacation without having to tell the world. obviously totally fine if it brings you joy, but i think a lot of it is very content brained or in the hopes of it reaching someone

if people want to dip their toes in this kind of stuff, the best and easiest thing you can do is just stream to whichever discord server whose community you like the most

Hellequin posted:

It also struck me based on the state and decor of the bedrooms of big streamers that I have the exact opposite personality and aesthetic sense to the sort of person who does well on Twitch.
it drives me insane that i've never seen a single bookshelf in the webcam of a streamer, ever. usually nothing to be seen in their entire house vlog too. and i just don't buy that they're hiding it because there might be problematic book or whatever insane apology people will make for it

kliras fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 27, 2023

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Parasocial relationship with streamers even extend to randomly hating someone who did a cooking stream lol
I don't know. It was in the context of him having tons of grand opinions about everything and anything on his Youtube channel, and then being bamboozled by a loving pan and spatula.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
many streamers are of the mindset that their job is so important that they couldn't possibly take fifteen to twenty minutes to make some food themselves; no they absolutely need to doordash everything for the rest of their lives

seems like a fairly important life skill idk

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

kliras posted:

it drives me insane that i've never seen a single bookshelf in the webcam of a streamer, ever. usually nothing to be seen in their entire house vlog too. and i just don't buy that they're hiding it because there might be problematic book or whatever insane apology people will make for it

lmao, the overstuffed bookshelf (one of three in the room) that shows up in frame behind me was what convinced me I wasn't the right type for streaming. I also own many "problematic" books sooooo.

Hellequin fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 27, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I don't know. It was in the context of him having tons of grand opinions about everything and anything on his Youtube channel, and then being bamboozled by a loving pan and spatula.

you wrote this uncannily like that particular streamer's voice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hellequin posted:

lmao, the overstuffed bookshelf (one of three in the room) that shows up in frame behind me was what convinced me I wasn't the right type for streaming. I also own many "problematic" books sooooo.

like hentai?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Hellequin posted:

Who the gently caress reads books lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

like hentai?

no, it's https://www.lttstore.com/products/book?_pos=10&_fid=cf7729ba6&_ss=c

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Goddamn, that's weapons-grade cringe right there.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Really wanna see the entry for R

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Vic posted:

Really wanna see the entry for R

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

so it's a soft r word you're saying

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Kinda bizarre that Steve's video was pulled as I consider it definitely on the dry side, and not even just for him. Speaks to his integrity and further pushes back on the 'drama' accusation by holding off on it for a while longer though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RGB? Seriously?

That’s some low effort.

“R is for retro
The games mom and dad used to play”

Is the easy, low hanging fruit.

Other options include raster, reload (as in save), respawn, refresh, rate, ribbon (cable), RAM, I’m sure there’s way more

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Linus wrote it and low effort might as well be his middle name.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Kinda bizarre that Steve's video was pulled as I consider it definitely on the dry side, and not even just for him. Speaks to his integrity and further pushes back on the 'drama' accusation by holding off on it for a while longer though.

He said on YouTube Community he wasn’t happy with it and also wanted it to be shorter. So chasing quality and shorter videos, truly noble goals for any Youtuber.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
sometimes the videos get a little pissy, so i think it's perfectly fine to to a double check on tone, not a huge deal

worrying about what the dumbest people in the world might make of it isn't worth the hassle

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don't forget that most top streamers are so dys-functional that they hire people to clean their filthy houses for them as soon as they're making enough it.

They also tend to think that they're entirely self-made, which is ironic because usually the only self-made streamers are trans folks.

kliras posted:

I'm pretty sure you know this, but goons were on the forefront with streaming on ustream.tv back in the day.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

like hentai?

Does Mishima count?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm pretty sure you know this, but goons were on the forefront with streaming on ustream.tv back in the day.

NO YOU SHUT THE gently caress UP DAD

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Eh if the video is really "why we did or didn't reach out for comment," just seems like a reaction to a petty response in the first place.

That video isn't going to change anyone's mind. Anyone who is legitimately holding that opinion isn't doing it for valid reasons, just purely emotional ones.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I thought the video was interesting to give their ethics statement and provide examples. Also to introduce their revamped website!

As someone whose job it is to test hardware it’s neat to see how others do it and what I could learn from them. Cool seeing they use the same open chassis cases that I have bought a lot of in the past (from here).

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

apatheticman posted:

Eh if the video is really "why we did or didn't reach out for comment," just seems like a reaction to a petty response in the first place.

That video isn't going to change anyone's mind. Anyone who is legitimately holding that opinion isn't doing it for valid reasons, just purely emotional ones.

Clarifying your channel's policies and how it approaches its subjects is a net positive that most would be well served to follow, the fact there are idiot fanboys online should not factor into being upfront with how you run your business. The very reason Steve is held in a higher regard is because he takes this stuff seriously, which that video is just more evidence of.

From others it sounds like he's retooling it to be more of a GN mission statement and not tie it into the recent controversy regardless.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Met Paul and Kyle today in a park in socal.

People really lucked out since the crowd was small.

A bunch of GPUs and mobos went for $10-40 because it was DD4 or 2070 super.

Pretty bizarre to see Kyle with a cardboard box trying to get someone to give $15 “for the kids” for what was all at one point probably pushing 400 bucks.

All the money was for charity.

10/10 would meet strangers with hardware in a park again.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 28, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I remember when Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (old rear end ascii roguelike) first rolled out a streaming web client. It was cool as hell, I could spectate on pros and sometimes folks would drop in while I was playing and give me advice :3:

SA was super active too, the thread organized teams to participate in contests so we could cheer each other along.

I think we tend to forget stuff like that and get caught up shouting ‘get off my lawn’ at the biggest twitch channels because they are all incredibly obnoxious. There are a bunch of smaller chill streams which are pretty wholesome. Chat is a good barometer. If folks are communicating in a good natured friendly way, the streamer is probs ok.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Linus Christmas parties are legendary. Many people are saying this!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

DoombatINC posted:

For some years I worked an office job where a Costco membership recruiter would come by once a year and fish for new members / renewals. When he showed up it was always with bulk packs of cookies and soda, as well as 6+ pipin' hot pizzas. I talked with him about the gig once and apparently it was the greatest job ever by his measure - every day he went to a different office where he was treated as a returning king, because everybody everywhere secretly wants a surprise pizza party.

I work in a very small, very expensive field and people always look at me like I am loving nuts because I didn't go to the free dinner at a 5 star steakhouse to hear how MetalSuperTech had introduced a new alloy that greatly increased the efficiency in the extraction phase of reagents in the precursor of some chemical tangentially related to some product we use.

Like, they get so loving excited about eating a $80 meal for free while some some metallurgist drones on about using copper instead of nickel in a device they don't even know exists much less have any purchasing power over.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I get the same poo poo constantly from vendor reps at my workplace. "We should figure out a time so we can all go for a dinner!".

gently caress off, I don't even want to be here at work, the last thing I want is to take work into a social setting. One particularly persistent rep kept asking every single time they came in, so I said we should just keep it low key and maybe go to McDonalds. They stopped asking after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You know you can order way too much and have free food for a few days, right?