Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I guess they learnt ed millibands lesson from when they said there was going to be a millionaire tax or whatever on posh houses and he got battered on telly by mylene klass and sol campbel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"oh gently caress there's cameras just try to look normal, you didn't go all in on the boot polish it's fine"

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

crispix posted:

i like the tips page

always remember one woman who sent in one saying she freezes a tube of tooth paste and cuts it up and serves the pieces as after dinner mints :monocle:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Talking of beans.. which one of you is that guy sighing with pleasure in the Currys "bean jacuzzi" advert.

ukmt.xlsx is open & waiting for an update

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Just Another Lurker posted:

That's either England or Holland, loonies either way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummer%27s_Day#:~:text=Mummer%27s%20Day%2C%20or%20%22Darkie%20Day,Year%27s%20Day%20in%20Padstow%2C%20Cornwall.

quote:

Mummer's Day, or "Darkie Day" as it is sometimes known (a corruption of the original Darking Day), is a traditional Cornish midwinter celebration that occurs every year on Boxing Day and New Year's Day in Padstow, Cornwall

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

hahahahah cum

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean I can believe it, the kind of person to visit stately homes in Cornwall is 100% the kind of person who'd vote for current Labour

I just have and I will not be

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

"oh gently caress there's cameras just try to look normal, you didn't go all in on the boot polish it's fine"

Love how you can't tell if them ones with just a couple of smudges went "Well I know blacking up is racist as gently caress but I have to or I'll be ostracized" or "I want to go all in but I don't want to get called racist for this innocent, non-racist blacking up"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...e/41178644.html

Must be related to Ireland's mummers, who look totally more loving savage

I loved these, they used to knock your door and do a song and a dance.
Scared the poo poo out of every kid naturally.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...e/41178644.html

Must be related to Ireland's mummers, who look totally more loving savage

I loved these, they used to knock your door and do a song and a dance.
Scared the poo poo out of every kid naturally.

Ruined Edward Woodwards Xmas every year

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I like the guys who go full Brythonic god.

The blackface not so much.

(The ones who say "it's not racist, it's tradition", and then it turns out that their nickname is 'the Zulus' and part of the act is monkey noises are pretty funny though, but I'm laughing at them.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DARKIE DAY??? FOR FUCKSAKE CORNWALL

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Guavanaut posted:

(The ones who say "it's not racist, it's tradition", and then it turns out that their nickname is 'the Zulus' and part of the act is monkey noises are pretty funny though, but I'm laughing at them.)

How to start an instant argument on almost any of the Sheppey gossip boards - ask about the Carnival and the Sheppey Zulus.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It says RIGHT THERE that it's a corruption of "darking day", which refers to the process of putting on blackface.

I like that the Wikipedia article says several times that the origins are definitely not racist. Maybe that's true, but I would find it more convincing if they offered any alternative theory than the obvious for why you have to paint your face black. The minstrel songs don't help either.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

DARKIE DAY??? FOR FUCKSAKE CORNWALL

It's always great when a new person discovers darkie day. Though I'll admit, I thought it was the isle of white.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Like it is plausible to me that there is a completely innocent historical reason for it and this lovely tradition has been unfortunately tarred with the same brush as racist caricatures elsewhere. But at some point maybe you have to just accept that it's just not a good look any more, maybe try blue paint instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I like that the Wikipedia article says several times that the origins are definitely not racist. Maybe that's true, but I would find it more convincing if they offered any alternative theory than the obvious for why you have to paint your face black. The minstrel songs don't help either.
Actually the facepaint for my traditional group "the blacks commit 54% of all crimes" represents coal dust from the chimney sweep days. When the country was better, for reasons.

(I could believe a non-racist explanation more, if people involved didn't keep having views like this.)

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 27, 2023

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mebh posted:

I thought it was the isle of white.

please don't call England that, it's disrespectful

Mebh
May 10, 2010

AceClown posted:

please don't call England that, it's disrespectful

Rhymes with shite...

Wight tho I meant. Sorry. 3 day migraine induced by accidentally overdose of epilepsy medication wee

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that warhammer calls it the isle of wights because it's full of horrible monsters.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Top tip to change duvet covers using the standard method of changing a duvet, but presumably also how Brits change into their darkie-killing costumes.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I like that warhammer calls it the isle of wights because it's full of horrible monsters.

Isn't it also full of triffids?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

You may laugh but the poor sods writing the national guidance on wart treatment had to assess acupuncture and somehow rated it as "eh, I guess" instead of "lol, lmao"

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Went to the Isle of Wight once. Got off the ferry, went into the nearest shop to get a coke or something and oh boy that was a lot of gollywogs they had.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Top tip to change duvet covers using the standard method of changing a duvet, but presumably also how Brits change into their darkie-killing costumes.

prior to this epiphany, chitchat magazine reader Tamara would spend several hours changing her bedclothes by rolling around on the floor flailing at the cover and duvet until the latter went inside the former by sheer chance

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

prior to this epiphany, chitchat magazine reader Tamara would spend several hours changing her bedclothes by rolling around on the floor flailing at the cover and duvet until the latter went inside the former by sheer chance

In all seriousness the "magic burrito" duvet putting on method beats it hands down especially on big duvets but it crucially doesn't give you any opportunity to pretend to be a racist duvet ghost, so...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The censorship on the child's face makes this look way more sinster than it actually is probably exactly as sinister as it actually was.

Charlie Brooker's brief arc of insisting he was a lizard was hilarious though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

In all seriousness the "magic burrito" duvet putting on method beats it hands down especially on big duvets but it crucially doesn't give you any opportunity to pretend to be a racist duvet ghost, so...
Brexit is all about delivering new opportunities to pretend to be a racist duvet ghost.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
eurgh. I'm not feeling great but will be back to troll this thread soon. Please consider me your enemy in the meanwhile.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mebh posted:

Rhymes with shite...

Shite privilege

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mebh posted:

warhammer britain hid from the rest of the world with magic and was mostly populated by swamp monsters iirc

ro5s fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 27, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Normal britain achieved that with legislation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

Like it is plausible to me that there is a completely innocent historical reason for it and this lovely tradition has been unfortunately tarred with the same brush as racist caricatures elsewhere. But at some point maybe you have to just accept that it's just not a good look any more, maybe try blue paint instead.
and

Isomermaid posted:

racist duvet ghost
Made me think about Holy Week in Andalusia, where there is a long tradition of penitents covering their faces to confess their sin, which somehow ended up in America as a bunch of cunts who think that Catholics (and Hispanics in general also) are subhuman also covering their faces to commit their crimes.

I don't think that Seville necessarily needs to change that one, because they had it first and it was people that hate them who stole it or may have stolen it or whatever, whereas blackface wasn't mocking Cornish people, but it definitely has uncomfortable optics in current times.

(Although it is easy to distinguish because it also has bishops in purple ones and cardinals in red ones and so on, and has a purpose besides waving loser flags and being a oval office, so yes, maybe try blue paint instead.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mebh posted:

The opposite: in the book, the Isle of Wight becomes a safe haven because it's small enough that they were able to clear out all the triffids.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

and

Made me think about Holy Week in Andalusia, where there is a long tradition of penitents covering their faces to confess their sin, which somehow ended up in America as a bunch of cunts who think that Catholics (and Hispanics in general also) are subhuman also covering their faces to commit their crimes.

I don't think that Seville necessarily needs to change that one, because they had it first and it was people that hate them who stole it or may have stolen it or whatever, whereas blackface wasn't mocking Cornish people, but it definitely has uncomfortable optics in current times.

(Although it is easy to distinguish because it also has bishops in purple ones and cardinals in red ones and so on, and has a purpose besides waving loser flags and being a oval office, so yes, maybe try blue paint instead.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGA8gCarMy8

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jedit posted:

The opposite: in the book, the Isle of Wight becomes a safe haven because it's small enough that they were able to clear out all the triffids.

I'm just surprised Peter Cushing wasn't involved.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
as an extra complication, i have for years had a duvet with a twin duvet thing, the idea being you take out one in the summer but i always end up keeping both in all year because scotland. the angepain official guide to how to change duvet covers for twin duvets is: don't have twin duvet things jesus christ the hassle and suffering

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely it's easier to just have more than one blanket?

I have a couple of king size thin-ish ones that you can just burrito yourself in. I drag them around the house and live like ET.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
you can still find beds made up in the houses of elder folk who never bought into duvets and it's a very elaborate layering of sheets and quilts and blankets and frilly anomalies