Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

christmas boots posted:

AC works best with settings that are less remembered in detail imo. Crusades? great. Pirates? Absolutely.

American and French revolutions? Nah.

Renaissance? I mean we have detailed history, but it’s still less present I think

counterpoint: we have extremely detailed historical knowledge of 19th century london, and syndicate is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Beyond the setting just not making for an interesting experience because of bad cities and all, I think the reason it didn't work is because it felt like a historical checklist in the same way that learning about it in school does, instead of just being a backdrop for the game to happen in.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Syndicate is more fine than great, the grappling hook is kind of a way of sidestepping the parkour instead of improving on it, there is a lot of filler and I don't think the game ever really gets better structurally than the back to back setpiece missions that start everything off

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AC Syndicate is only just okay as a game but it successfully makes 1866 London look like the filthiest most foul smelling place on Earth, so mission accomplished there.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I think Syndicate felt like the best realization of classic asscreed. Everything came together very nicely and it feels good to play. The grappling hook adds some nice extra movement options as well. And it’s drat gorgeous.

The story is kinda whatever but it has the good sense to maintain some camp.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

man nurse posted:

I think Syndicate felt like the best realization of classic asscreed. Everything came together very nicely and it feels good to play. The grappling hook adds some nice extra movement options as well. And it’s drat gorgeous.

yeah, i wouldnt claim it's the best in the series or anything but its a really solid fun game and it holds up well today. its got one of the more interesting cities to kind of stroll around and take in, plus a lot of fun alternative modes of transit - not just the grappling hook but the carriages and the sort of frogger-like boat hopping on the thames and the train base that moves around the map. plus its got some of the better more assassin-y combat animations in the series, i love the way you can calmly walk down the street and cut someones throat and then just keep walking while they bleed out behind you. and the protagonists while again not the best in the series are pretty fun characters

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

What I rembember from Syndicate:

• you leave in a choo choo with a gatling gun on it and you can fight dudes on top of choo choos like Indiana Jones and you can kick people off the choo choos
  • great diegetic songs nobody listened to
  • killing lord Cardigan from Fwashman
  • they retconned Darwin being wrong about the origins of man because they're COWARDS (and they've since retconned it back lol)
  • The maharajah DLC has the most obvious villain ever in the history of all timed
  • I'm 99% sure the Indian guy was supposed to be playable at some point in development.
  • One of the Great Lines in the series:
    Guy at the weapon checkout : weapons?
    Jakob : no thanks, I brought my own :lmao:
  • Jakob was the best playable character because his personality was essentially "open-orld game player"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The plot is quite forgettable. I’m not finished yet but I think I’m close enough to say it’s one of the weaker ones I’ve played in that regard.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

christmas boots posted:

AC works best with settings that are less remembered in detail imo. Crusades? great. Pirates? Absolutely.

Give me my Triple Alliance game already.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Jacob was surprisingly fun when they leaned more into the doofus/himbo side of his character. All the promo stuff presented him as "Batman England Ezio" at the time.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Am I remembering this wrong or did a bunch of the Parisian NPCs in unity all have cockney accents?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zedd posted:

Jacob was surprisingly fun when they leaned more into the doofus/himbo side of his character. All the promo stuff presented him as "Batman England Ezio" at the time.

I love the bit where Jacob, nanoseconds after hearing an off-hand mention of the word "gangs" as one of the arms of Templar power, proposes starting his own street gang complete with name and uniforms and ideology like it's his lifelong dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dan5DcUrpYk&t=3238s

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

christmas boots posted:

American and French revolutions? Nah.

Renaissance? I mean we have detailed history, but it’s still less present I think

this. victorian london and ptolimaic egypt ruled. I think. i think golden age bagdad will rule.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I love the bit where Jacob, nanoseconds after hearing an off-hand mention of the word "gangs" as one of the arms of Templar power, proposes starting his own street gang complete with name and uniforms and ideology like it's his lifelong dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dan5DcUrpYk&t=3238s

yeah. i like that jacob is just some care free moron who just chases weird flights of fancy and beats them like a dead horse. reminds me of myself but with weird rear end art commisions instead of dickensian gangs.

man nurse posted:

story is fine, dumb but fun. I enjoyed the open world and fights and poo poo. just fighting dozens of giant cockney men in the street and going fast furious with carriages.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like Jacob because he's a good 'I'm going to get poo poo done' character', and then in the expansion the game has enough self awareness to acknowledge that like basically all AC characters, the poo poo he wants to get done is actually pretty silly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I like Jacob because he's a good 'I'm going to get poo poo done' character', and then in the expansion the game has enough self awareness to acknowledge that like basically all AC characters, the poo poo he wants to get done is actually pretty silly.

Yeah, I like that you see you didn’t make poo poo better with your gang of puckish rogues. They just end up doing crimes and betraying you when your student hulk smashes you.

I like Jack. He is so loving insane and stupid and monsterious.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's just nice that the protagonist of the game is someone who wants things.

Shockingly, this is not a bar that quite a few AC games do not meet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Alchenar posted:

This is a large part of the reason why I like the Syndicate DLC.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm happy to report playing Valhalla with Ubisoft+ active did not nuke my save file now that the sub is over. I did get to keep this cool hat, though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wouldn’t you sooner or later poke your eyes out with those fangs

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Wouldn’t you sooner or later poke your eyes out with those fangs

Eh, you'll probably die in battle before then and it looks cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The reality is that the Norse people wore non-horned helmets and mail in warfare like everybody else from this period. But reality is BORING!!!

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
When you watch a movie about a modern badass hero they probably don't use standard army-issued equipment and tactics. So it's all fine when we play as the only Spartan who hates shields or the only Norseman who imported limited edition Egyptian armor & cloak premium set.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it is a bit silly that Eivor can't use one handed swords even though you spend most of the game fighting dudes with one handed swords and there are one handed swords lying all over the ground after every fight. i do miss that feature in AC's 2 and 3 (i think?) where you could just pick up and temporarily use any weapon an enemy dropped

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Assassin's Creed Mirage Hands On Preview by Gamespot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRtRjcQxmMw

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ilitarist posted:

Assassin's Creed Mirage Hands On Preview by Gamespot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRtRjcQxmMw

"Closest feeling to the first game that we've seen in year".

Suddenly I'm very interested.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I like it being focused on a single city. But these "black box" missions were the worst every time they've introduced them. It's like AC2/3 extremely scripted missions but when you step away from breadcrumbs you can just murder a hundred people and the target instead of getting a cutscene kill. Here the player describes some possible variation, but it still looks linear. When Odyssey wants me to kill a nation leader and I run around searching for ways to undermine their authority I feel much more as a master assassin than in, say, Syndicate mission of walking up to a body bug and killing an evil doctor in a cutscene.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

To be honest I'd rather hear "closest feeling to the second game" but I'll hear what the full reviews and gooncensus say about it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I definitely don't want, and don't know why anyone would want, a game like the first assassins creed.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Seems like a mixed bag lol that the free running still seems like poo poo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah I definitely don't want, and don't know why anyone would want, a game like the first assassins creed.

*adding RenegadeStyle1 to my list of people to curse, right up there with the Christian king and his army of infidels*

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

This all looks so small and unambitious... The cities of AC1/Brotherhood/Revelations/Unity might have been "technically" smaller but smart level design and no drat bird made they seem/feel bigger.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

This all looks so small and unambitious... The cities of AC1/Brotherhood/Revelations/Unity might have been "technically" smaller but smart level design and no drat bird made they seem/feel bigger.

i feel like this is the "holdover game" before red mixed with them wanting to try to mix the new games control mechanics with the older games more "social" stealth approach. ill buy it because its 50 bucks and looks fun enough for setting.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I love Dishonored but this is not what I imagined as a return to form.
https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1701865799978283448

I know Odyssey and Valhalla had somewhat similar abilities but those were one of many available abilities and weren't a big deal cause you could climb always anywhere anyway. From what I understand this is the only ability Basim can "charge".

Which reminds me: I think in Origins and Odyssey they planned for fort walls to not be climbable. Otherwise, I can't explain why most forts have secret underground passages into them: it makes no sense cause it's much easier to find an unobserved wall, climb it, and start picking up enemies one by one instead of finding yourself in the middle of a camp.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm wondering if this supposed speed of his, which is why his movements can't be shown as anything by the animus as anything other than a teleport, will be accessible elsewhere? Like there better not be any rubberbanding with guards chasing me.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ilitarist posted:

I love Dishonored but this is not what I imagined as a return to form.
https://twitter.com/Bolverk15/status/1701865799978283448

Now that's a power that would have been useful to have when he fought Eivor :shrug:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lobok posted:

I'm wondering if this supposed speed of his, which is why his movements can't be shown as anything by the animus as anything other than a teleport, will be accessible elsewhere? Like there better not be any rubberbanding with guards chasing me.

apperently the explanation is that basim is fast as gently caress and it breaks the animus when it tries to render it or something. I mean i am fine with that kinda poo poo. Kass had magic god spear that could do AOE mmo attacks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

apperently the explanation is that basim is fast as gently caress and it breaks the animus when it tries to render it or something. I mean i am fine with that kinda poo poo. Kass had magic god spear that could do AOE mmo attacks.

I'm not inherently against magic or demigod type stuff, like I'll take Kass over Eivor any day. Was just wondering if this apparent Flash speed is going to be present anywhere else in your movement or moveset because at the moment it just sounds like a justification they came up with after the fact for having a grounded game that also has magic teleportation throat-slitting.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ubi hit me with a lengthy survey so my thoughts were tuned to AC for a bit

I find I'm warming to Odyssey over time even more than I did when I played it (and I really liked it!). First Blade was offensively trash, but I loved the mythical dlc both in Origins and Odyssey (one of the areas in Origins is just incredible).

Conversely I still have not finished Valhalla, and like, theoretically vikings are my favorite of the trifecta.

In practice though, Egypt and Kassandra are just too strong and England is loving boring . It's similar to the problem I had with Witcher 3 (other than the assy combat), shithole villages are... well, lovely.

I'll probably give Valhalla another chance at some point, but I feel like revisiting the first two is more likely.

Mirage doesn't do much for me, the prospect of live service Infinity is repulsive, and Japan AC is less exciting with sushi ghost in existence.

That leaves the future of AC in a weird place for me personally. I guess I can't be too upset given the amount of game there is in the too much stuff trilogy, but it would be loving wild to see AC Maya or AC China or whatever with today's fidelity of AAA games.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I think they should try releasing Assassin’s Creed games if they want to know how people feel about Assassin’s Creed games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AC Japan could be good if it was not set in the medieval period. like for the one city style of AC game, Edo/Tokyo in 1868 could be good. or for the larger rpg big open world style AC game, the Russo-Japan war of 1905, including Manchuria and the Korean peninsula. the latter would even give them a chance to include the island of Tsushima :v: