Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I'm ancient and don't care for all this playing online over voice and video thing. IRC with a dicebot was good enough! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Traveller posted:

I'm ancient and don't care for all this playing online over voice and video thing. IRC with a dicebot was good enough! :bahgawd:

This, except I'm also much better at doing character writing via text than via live improv, so I still prefer text games vs. voice if there's lots of RP involved.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

At this point I just play Solo RPGs. Its nice, in its own way. At least I don't have to worry about any That Guys.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

code:
!roll
is baked into my bones. Thank god you can still set that kind of thing up with Discord

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
My group does voice only. Partly because it's hard to juggle video and VTTs, but mostly because we all have faces for radio. :v:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I very much miss in-person gaming with my friends, but that ship sailed years before the pandemic thanks to lives pulling us apart physically. I'm glad we don't do video, just voice, though - video chat makes me way more self-conscious than being in-person for some reason.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I play at the store with people I met on the store’s discord :) it’s fun they’re pretty normal :)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've found it to be a mixed bag, I've played with goons online and everyone was super engaged and into it and the game almost ran itself, and I tried to transition my old face-to-face groups to online play and it's always been some degree of actual hard work to get anything out of them.

Also with the games we play it's a shitton of prep work. Entering stats into a VTT, picking out, editing and uploading token art and maps, all that eats major time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Galaga Galaxian posted:

At this point I just play Solo RPGs. Its nice, in its own way. At least I don't have to worry about any That Guys.
I have bad news for you, my guy

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 25, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Farg posted:

wearing an nft hoodie is actually fairly different from a popular set of rpg stats you dislike
I'm sorry for insulting your hoodie

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Not a boomer move. TTRPGing is a social activity, not just a gaming one, and it's never the same when not in person. My last gaming group broke up during the pandemic and never re-formed. :(

Counterpoint, I've been playing with my lot weekly for.... 11 years for some of them, and I have no clue what any of them look like, but we chat daily on our discord channel (previously skype)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Grey Hunter posted:

Counterpoint, I've been playing with my lot weekly for.... 11 years for some of them, and I have no clue what any of them look like, but we chat daily on our discord channel (previously skype)

I can't actually prove the physical existence of some of the people I'm closest to. They could, for all I know, be a very elaborate bot with a voice module.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

my discord shadowrun group plays on sunday mornings over voice which is fine by me because if you think i'm getting up early to tart myself up for the camera then you're absolutely nuts

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

I see your taste is about as good as your understanding of analogies.

Are you familiar with the flag of wales

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Farg posted:

Just did a classic cartoon-style spit take, thanks for that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just wear the GM's mask.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Farg posted:

i feel like I should get this joke.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i feel like I should get this joke.

It's got a sickass dragon on it. Other than that, I'm lost, too.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

DicktheCat posted:

I can't actually prove the physical existence of some of the people I'm closest to. They could, for all I know, be a very elaborate bot with a voice module.

I mean, if they are AI, then they are indisguinighable from humans and have therefore passed the Turing test, and can be considered real people.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

was wondering whether there was a cube speed solving thread buried in here somewhere? I searched at some point but found nothing

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
For whatever reason I feel like spiting the “tabletop WoW” crew years after they ceased to be relevant: stats are MMO archetypes

“I have TANK 3, DPS 0, BUFF 2, HEALER 1”

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I would totally play a game with MMO style stats, sounds fun. Also sounds pretty straightforward in play, which is a plus.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AmiYumi posted:

For whatever reason I feel like spiting the “tabletop WoW” crew years after they ceased to be relevant: stats are MMO archetypes

Gotta call out Danger Patrol here. You have 8 stats, they're named after the 8 classes, and each class has max rank in their own stat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AmiYumi posted:

Needs a CROWD CONTROL stat and maybe one for summoning but yeah I could get behind that

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

drrockso20 posted:

Needs a CROWD CONTROL stat and maybe one for summoning but yeah I could get behind that

I just rolled up my character. I've got DPS 3, STAND IN FIRE 4, IGNORE CHANCE TO INTERRUPT CASTER 2, and COMPLAIN ABOUT HEALING 3. As a drawback to afford all these points, I bought the disadvantage "Itchy trigger finger," meaning I'm likely to start combat before people are ready for it, or if it's even needed.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I love Aftermath and all the 1980s FGU jank games. I ran so much Aftermath, Daredevils, and V&V, and played Bushido, Space Opera, and Flashing Blades. Good times.

I would dearly love to play a game of Privateers and Gentlemen that broadly emulates the Aubrey-Mataurin books.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Admiralty Flag posted:

I just rolled up my character. I've got DPS 3, STAND IN FIRE 4, IGNORE CHANCE TO INTERRUPT CASTER 2, and COMPLAIN ABOUT HEALING 3. As a drawback to afford all these points, I bought the disadvantage "Itchy trigger finger," meaning I'm likely to start combat before people are ready for it, or if it's even needed.
I just put all my points into PULL ADDS

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Splicer posted:

I just put all my points into PULL ADDS

Ah, an average ffxiv tank.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

We're only responding to market pressure!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

was wondering whether there was a cube speed solving thread buried in here somewhere? I searched at some point but found nothing

There is not! I know a former cubing champ - actually I haven't talked to him in like four years, I should say hi to him - but I don't think I've ever seen cubing discussed in trad games. You're certainly welcome to!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

Hmm, nice!

I got DPS 1, LOOT HOG 4, GUILD DRAMA 3, and EPIC MOUNT QUEEN 2. I took the drawback "heavy mic breathing."

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Leperflesh posted:

There is not! I know a former cubing champ - actually I haven't talked to him in like four years, I should say hi to him - but I don't think I've ever seen cubing discussed in trad games. You're certainly welcome to!

First thing is to check if anyone is a math prodigy and take everyone’s shoes off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leperflesh posted:

Hmm, nice!

I got DPS 1, LOOT HOG 4, GUILD DRAMA 3, and EPIC MOUNT QUEEN 2. I took the drawback "heavy mic breathing."
Oh we can take drawbacks? I'm going to take "work in the morning" for another +2 PULL ADDS

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

too many threads in tg and i didn't really know where to put this. there's probably a "small publisher rpg" thread but whatevber

background: my brother, sister and gf are players in a d&d 5e campaign im running. my 8 year old daughter was also originally playing as well. since i do most of the mechanical heavy lifting (and my bro now that hes familiar with the system), generally i play like "just tell me what you want your character to do and ill tell you how to do it". the players now get on pretty well with knowing what their characters can do so i dont need to do as much now. but it worked well when my daughter was playing because she was playing a fighter and it was pretty easy for her to be involved. she kinda lapsed out during the summer since its nice out and she's usually outside playing with her friends. but lately she's been wanting to rejoin the campaign. im a bit hesitant because 1) the party is out in the wilderness in the midst of a mini-arc atm, and 2) i dont want her to be dropping in and out, it kinda complicates the flow, obviously. ive been thinking to run one-shots to include her, but lately i stumbled on Mouse Guard

i picked up the compilation of the first season (fall 1152) and my kids freaking love the setting. we've raced through it and read it twice, and my older daughter is reading it again to herself. im thinking the rpg would be a good fit? as long as i do the same where i do the mechanical heavy lifting and just have her tell me what she wants her character to do. i'd probably involve my sister and gf as well so she'll have a couple other party members to help. anyone have any experience with this?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mouse Guard RPG is okay, I don't think I'd call it complex, but the system isn't super simple either. It uses the Burning Wheel system, if you're familiar with that, which unfortunately means the author is Luke Crane, who kinda sucks. But the system itself is fine and kinda neat.

Personally I'd use Ironsworn*, a nice lightweight RPG with an emphasis on storytelling over mechanics, and includes some light survival stuff that would fit a "harsh" (but not in an overly dark or brutal way) setting like mouseguard. Its also free, and can be played solo, co-op (Everyone has a PC and collaboratively GMs), and Guided (with a GM).

* Ironsworn and Starforged are my answer to everything these days, though, I'll freely admit. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 29, 2023

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I’ve run Mouse Guard for kids that age who had zero gaming experience and it was a hit. Tiny humans getting hilariously bloodthirsty for snake-murder is a top gaming memory. Every kid is different though, so here’s a thought: if she’s already seen the comics, something you might try is a one-shot using the pregen characters and the sample adventure, since the pregens are canon characters from the comics. Seeing how the numbers on the sheet relate to the fiction she’s already familiar with may be helpful in getting past any hesitancy she has about the system. If the one-shot goes well enough that people want to do a campaign, great! If not, no big deal, low investment situation.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

too many threads in tg and i didn't really know where to put this. there's probably a "small publisher rpg" thread but whatevber

background: my brother, sister and gf are players in a d&d 5e campaign im running. my 8 year old daughter was also originally playing as well. since i do most of the mechanical heavy lifting (and my bro now that hes familiar with the system), generally i play like "just tell me what you want your character to do and ill tell you how to do it". the players now get on pretty well with knowing what their characters can do so i dont need to do as much now. but it worked well when my daughter was playing because she was playing a fighter and it was pretty easy for her to be involved. she kinda lapsed out during the summer since its nice out and she's usually outside playing with her friends. but lately she's been wanting to rejoin the campaign. im a bit hesitant because 1) the party is out in the wilderness in the midst of a mini-arc atm, and 2) i dont want her to be dropping in and out, it kinda complicates the flow, obviously. ive been thinking to run one-shots to include her, but lately i stumbled on Mouse Guard

i picked up the compilation of the first season (fall 1152) and my kids freaking love the setting. we've raced through it and read it twice, and my older daughter is reading it again to herself. im thinking the rpg would be a good fit? as long as i do the same where i do the mechanical heavy lifting and just have her tell me what she wants her character to do. i'd probably involve my sister and gf as well so she'll have a couple other party members to help. anyone have any experience with this?

Mouse Guard is a solid cute little game that's basically Burning Wheel-lite and written slightly less pretentiously. If you have a quorum of people who want to be adorable little mice fighting for their beliefs I can't recommend it enough.

That being said, unlike D&D 5e it's an actual legit game designed well, so I wouldn't shield people from the mechanics like you're suggesting. It's light enough an 8 year old should have no problem with it at all (I've done it multiple times), and the mechanical levers the game offers are actually good and fun to pull. They should be thinking about their beliefs and instincts and when to tap their nature because it's fun and the point of the game. Explain how the resolution mechanics works and let them help you come up with twists.

Mouse Guard is a different game from 5e and will be more fun the less you play it like 5e. If you try to play it like 5e it will really, really suck.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, for someone who's only coming in from a "what you do" perspective, Mouse Guard has maybe a few too many player-facing buttons to hit, in terms of fate and persona points, and wises, and the end of session questionnaire that gets you more fate and persona points. And then there's the learn a new skill/default to Nature angle.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
has anyone played the Root RPG? I didn't expect it to be a PbtA title but it was a pleasant surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Xiahou Dun posted:

Mouse Guard is a solid cute little game that's basically Burning Wheel-lite and written slightly less pretentiously. If you have a quorum of people who want to be adorable little mice fighting for their beliefs I can't recommend it enough.

That being said, unlike D&D 5e it's an actual legit game designed well, so I wouldn't shield people from the mechanics like you're suggesting. It's light enough an 8 year old should have no problem with it at all (I've done it multiple times), and the mechanical levers the game offers are actually good and fun to pull. They should be thinking about their beliefs and instincts and when to tap their nature because it's fun and the point of the game. Explain how the resolution mechanics works and let them help you come up with twists.

Mouse Guard is a different game from 5e and will be more fun the less you play it like 5e. If you try to play it like 5e it will really, really suck.

I tried to run mouseguard once, when I was less experienced as a GM (I don't think I'd run anything at that point as GM, and I wonder if I ran it sort of like D&D since that was the system I was familaur with playing at that point (pre 5e, more 3.5E-4E) and it went pretty badly (though I think that was mostly my fault and not the game) and we quit part way through the session. I'd love to give it another go eventually or play it (though I sadly lost the books, so I'd have to rebuy it first to run it IRL).