Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
seriously why would you buy an Android on contract when you could buy a refurb iphone? the iPhone will be supported longer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Management posted:

seriously why would you buy an Android on contract when you could buy a refurb iphone? the iPhone will be supported longer

because a refurb iphone is ten times the price of a monthly installment of an android phone on contract

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also because the iphone is garbage as well.

It's cool and good to dunk on google for being a bunch of incompetent morons but I've had an iphone before and it was even more frustrating to use.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sounds like a skill issue

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I just use a $30 FirefoxOS phone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

It's cool and good to dunk on google for being a bunch of incompetent morons but I've had an iphone before and it was even more frustrating to use.

lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
its more difficult to use a nintendo emulator on iPhone yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've seen literal infants navigate an ios device, so i don't know what to tell you

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

i've seen literal infants navigate an ios device, so i don't know what to tell you

The iPhone is made for the mentally 5-year olds, yes, I think we're in agreement here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

so whats your excuse

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

if the point that's being made here is that ios is not much worse than android on ux i can get onboard with that i guess

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I’ve seen frogs successfully use an iphone

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mobby_6kl posted:

you're not gonna become the new shaggar.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

so whats your excuse
that I'm not a frog

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
iOS is impossible to use. how can you use a telephone with only one clock?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ios sucks rear end but android sucks rear end more somehow

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

ios sucks rear end but android sucks rear end more somehow

it's because it's built on an incompetent re-implementation of java

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

iOS is impossible to use. how can you use a telephone with only one clock?

thanks to proper widget support you can make any phone os a horologistic hellscape

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's because of ads, and google being an entity of pure ads, op.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

*a single tear falls as the noble nerd eyes the state of tech in 2023*: "if only they had written it all in haskell all would be well"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there would be no observable side-effects so yes a marked improvement

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when swiftui is perfected the ios ux will be unrivaled, with the declarative model at full power your dog will want an ipad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Agile Vector posted:

thanks to proper widget support you can make any phone os a horologistic hellscape

the iphone should have a protective feature that just shuts it down and wipes it when this happens

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Agile Vector posted:

hi, iPhone user here! this is not funny, iPhones only do this when they're in extreme distress

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iphones are canonically for non-technical women and children, op

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

iphones are canonically for non-technical women and children, op

this reminds me when my spouse was in grad school he and one of his friends went to check out the new iphones and like one of her questions to the apple store dude was how to access the terminal and he just did not know what to do with her

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you loving don't, it's a telephone.

if i need to janitor a cron job on my phone something has gone seriously wrong somewhere

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you point them to the various terminal emulators on the App Store, done

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean yes that's all obvious now, there was no app store when the phone launched dipshit

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i mean yes that's all obvious now, there was no app store when the phone launched dipshit

oh I must have missed the part where you said it was when the iphone launched.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

as a n800 owner at the time, i too was confused by the lack of *everything* in the original iphone. compared to a feature phone and bb world, though…

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

oh I must have missed the part where you said it was when the iphone launched.

:rolleye:

it was implicit in the statement 'new iphones' but thats fine

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they make new iphones every year

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*iPhones New

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

they make new iphones every year

idk some seem like the same iphone

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mediaphage posted:

:rolleye:

it was implicit in the statement 'new iphones' but thats fine

it was?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Agile Vector posted:

as a n800 owner at the time, i too was confused by the lack of *everything* in the original iphone. compared to a feature phone and bb world, though…

i had the n770 and n800 and while they were fun weird little devices, they were very much not consumer devices. that was the biggest shift with the iphone, basically making the smartphone an appliance rather than some grognard nerd poo poo you had to fight with to actually use

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i had the n770 and n800 and while they were fun weird little devices, they were very much not consumer devices. that was the biggest shift with the iphone, basically making the smartphone an appliance rather than some grognard nerd poo poo you had to fight with to actually use

iawtp

the blackberry was pretty usable at least but only within a narrow set of parameters imo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I replaced my sharp zaurus with a Nokia n800 and it is one of my biggest regrets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had a n770, I used it on a couple vacations for browsing and email and it was a deeply annoying device to use but in 2006 was way better than schlepping a whole computer or using internet cafes. I sold it in 2008 to some drupal dev who seemed really excited about it