Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

RealityWarCriminal posted:

a visiting nurse just showed up to my house to change a family member's bandage. he was wearing a secureclick. which one of you was it?

Next time he comes, offer to buy him an SA account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

a visiting nurse just showed up to my house to change a family member's bandage. he was wearing a secureclick. which one of you was it?

:sickos:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

Next time he comes, offer to buy him an SA account.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
ask him if he has stairs

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I need to know if he was open carrying before I jump to any conclusions

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Normies at work are expressing concern about the wave that is happening slash upcoming. These are individuals who I can't recall ever being openly worried before. I think it's dawning on a lot of people now that this is the rest of our lives, barring a pharmaceutical miracle.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Animal-Mother posted:

Normies at work are expressing concern about the wave that is happening slash upcoming. These are individuals who I can't recall ever being openly worried before. I think it's dawning on a lot of people now that this is the rest of our lives, barring a pharmaceutical miracle.

had a going away party for moving and talked to someone who was like”so you came to that too?” about how the promise of mRNA vaccines ended up being not as promised. he commented to me saying”I did everything the govt asked and nothing has changed”

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

buy him an account

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

sonatinas posted:

”I did everything the govt asked and nothing has changed”

could be the title of any of the doomthreads at one time or another

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Poppers posted:

Hospital currently out of Paxlovid lol. Still think hoarding is harmless???

yes :cloudnine:

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

tuyop posted:

poppers gonna do their part to protect pregnant women by not spreading the disease harmful to pregnant women or is that just a bridge too far?

diseases spread and humans hoard, not much you can do about you know?

I mask regularly in public spaces and test/isolate after exposures.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Not Covid related but this thread is the closest to [Pestilence] so here's an article about someone with brain worms :brainworms: literally

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/aug/28/live-worm-living-womans-brain-australia-depression-forgetfulness

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Aug 28, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Not Covid related but this thread is the closest to [Pestilence] so here's an article about someone with brain worms literally

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/aug/28/live-worm-living-womans-brain-australia-depression-forgetfulness

don’t fuckin doxx me

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Also, evidently the CDC is advocating a change in their PCR primer sets due to mutations in BA 2.86. Not sure how this is impacting surveillance at the moment.

I've been looking around and haven't seen anything about this. Was it mentioned on a conference call or something?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

NeonPunk posted:

Not Covid related but this thread is the closest to [Pestilence] so here's an article about someone with brain worms literally

She's just lucky that ceremorphosis hadn't kicked in yet.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

The Oldest Man posted:

I've been looking around and haven't seen anything about this. Was it mentioned on a conference call or something?
I heard it from someone who would know, not sure if it's too soon for a news release of some kind.

I checked the N1/N2 primers against BA 2.86 and they seemed fine. Supposedly it was due to concerns about mutations in their general region, if not the primer sites themselves. :shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

I heard it from someone who would know, not sure if it's too soon for a news release of some kind.

I checked the N1/N2 primers against BA 2.86 and they seemed fine. Supposedly it was due to concerns about mutations in their general region, if not the primer sites themselves. :shrug:

I didn't post this when I saw it (seemed too esoteric), but it feels somewhat important in this context:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cdc-works-to-overhaul-lab-operations-covid-tests/ posted:

The CDC works to overhaul lab operations after COVID test flop
AUGUST 16, 2023
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

:confuoot:

I would love to live in this reality.

lmao

“(harmful)” is the echo of “(safely)”

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Not Covid related but this thread is the closest to [Pestilence] so here's an article about someone with brain worms :brainworms: literally

snakes on a brain

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
91-DIVOC is officially mothballed

https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/ posted:

Reliable, Timely COVID-19 Raw Data Sources No Longer Available

August 2023: There are currently no longer any consistent, daily, and reliable data sources for COVID cases in the United States. Johns Hopkins University, the default and most reliable data source, no longer publishes updates.

The dataset from Our World in Data dataset (change "Data Source" to "Our World in Data") is now collected almost exclusively from World Health Organization (WHO) data. The WHO data is updated by WHO member countries and updates have appeared to show to trickle (not uncommon to see months between updates from some countries).

91-DIVOC will remain active for some time as an archive of COVID-19 data, but will no longer see any updates. I'm looking forward to the next project and I hope you'll join me in nerding out with data there! :)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

fosborb posted:

sad.

I cannot believe we’re just going to collectively ignore Covid but whatever I mean it’s not the largest genocide we’ve ever done

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

nexous posted:

I mean it’s not the largest genocide we’ve ever done

that's bait

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fosborb posted:

Well I was wondering what would make me unimaginably angry today.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Rosalind posted:

She's just lucky that ceremorphosis hadn't kicked in yet.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

nexous posted:

sad.

I cannot believe we’re just going to collectively ignore Covid but whatever I mean it’s not the largest genocide we’ve ever done

is covid running rampant in joe biden's southern border concentration camps its own genocide, or is there a venn diagram there?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Lib and let die posted:

is covid running rampant in joe biden's southern border concentration camps its own genocide, or is there a venn diagram there?

probably Venn diagram

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

I didn't post this when I saw it (seemed too esoteric), but it feels somewhat important in this context:
The primer sets have held up remarkably well over time, I'll say.

But yeah it's not surprising that a plodding government bureaucracy was not equipped to respond to a pandemic like this.

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Aug 28, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fosborb posted:

really curious how The Sickness goes. as a collection of like 50 essays on the same topic by the same person over only like 3 years, I wonder how his analysis changed and didn't change over that short period

Guess what arrived a day early!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
yo mri guy I’m getting an mri of my kidney what’s the secret bro code of “I’ve done a bunch of these just push your buttons as fast as possible so we can both be on our way”

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Lib and let die posted:

Guess what arrived a day early!

so are all of the essays Wolff's? (not a bad thing, mind you)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

fosborb posted:

so are all of the essays Wolff's? (not a bad thing, mind you)

It appears to be!

Also let's play a guessing game: who did the review?

Question:

Answer:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/JohnSnowProject/status/1696173929272938678
https://johnsnowproject.org/do-no-harm/

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

wrong thread

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
friend parents go to dinner party, all test positive for covid oops..

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Interesting stuff, though as mentioned by the lead author, mainly when talking future vaccine development.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/health/covid/scientists-find-high-killer-t-cell-response-in-critical-covid-19-cases/ posted:

Scientists find high killer T cell response in critical COVID-19 cases
(..)
The team, led by Professor Jamie Triccas, a microbiologist who is acting deputy director of Sydney University’s Infections Diseases Institute, has found an unusually high number of cytotoxic CD4 cells occur in patients with critical COVID-19 (basically, they’re in ICU) who weren’t vaccinated prior to infection.

Triccas’ team wanted to take an agnostic approach to analysing these samples – waiting to see if there were any associations of particular cell types with disease severity.

When their computer analysis was complete, it was the CD4 cell types that surprised them.

“Most of the time, it’s what we’d call those CD8 T cells that are cytotoxic, and the CD4 type that are the helper [cells]. In this case we see it’s cytotoxic CD4 T cells, which is a little bit unusual,” Triccas tells Cosmos.

“You had this class of T cells that you don’t normally associate with being cytotoxic, that were now having this cytotoxic [characteristic].”

(..)
The concern for patients is that a particularly strong immune response could cause excessive tissue damage.

“Those cells, if they’ve been turned on to have a lot of this cytotoxic type ‘killing’ function, the consequence of that could be that you might get some sort of off-target effect,” says Triccas.

“Because these cells are highly activated, they’re making a lot of molecules that activate the immune system and … you get too strong an immune response and you wind up causing excess damage.”

Compare this to patients with more mild and even severe (but not yet critical) cases: their average percentage of more cytotoxic CD4s was markedly lower. In critical cases, they suggest the findings of cytotoxic CD4s in critically ill COVID-19 patients might contribute to tissue damage and systemic inflammation associated with death.

Triccas suggests that while these findings offer little to people at an individual level, they give vaccine manufacturers valuable data when developing next-generation therapies.

“If we want to make new vaccines, or better vaccines, do we have to think about the balance of these types of cells?”
he says.
(..)

Article proper:
"A unique cytotoxic CD4+ T cell-signature defines critical COVID-19"

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cti2.1463 posted:

Abstract
Objectives
SARS-CoV-2 infection causes a spectrum of clinical disease presentation, ranging from asymptomatic to fatal. While neutralising antibody (NAb) responses correlate with protection against symptomatic and severe infection, the contribution of the T-cell response to disease resolution or progression is still unclear. As newly emerging variants of concern have the capacity to partially escape NAb responses, defining the contribution of individual T-cell subsets to disease outcome is imperative to inform the development of next-generation COVID-19 vaccines.

Methods
Immunophenotyping of T-cell responses in unvaccinated individuals was performed, representing the full spectrum of COVID-19 clinical presentation. Computational and manual analyses were used to identify T-cell populations associated with distinct disease states.

Results
Critical SARS-CoV-2 infection was characterised by an increase in activated and cytotoxic CD4+ lymphocytes (CTL). These CD4+ CTLs were largely absent in asymptomatic to severe disease states. In contrast, non-critical COVID-19 was associated with high frequencies of naïve T cells and lack of activation marker expression.

Conclusion
Highly activated and cytotoxic CD4+ T-cell responses may contribute to cell-mediated host tissue damage and progression of COVID-19. Induction of these potentially detrimental T-cell responses should be considered when developing and implementing effective COVID-19 control strategies.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think the going immunology theory for how acute covid kills you is the virus infects immune cells in the bone marrow so you end up with circulating immune cells like platelets getting infected and spreading virus all over, the immune system sees that and starts a signaling up-regulation on the immune system's nuclear weapons more or less. That would probably dovetail into all the immune cells that don't normally melt your organs getting in on the action.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Animal-Mother posted:

it is harvest season. time to reap

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
my local vaccine booking website has this to say:

quote:

Important:

A new COVID-19 vaccine better suited to circulating viruses may be available in Octobre 2023. It is recommended that you wait for this new vaccine to arrive before receiving a booster dose, even if you have received your last dose more than 6 months ago.

People who wish to receive a booster dose before the new vaccine becomes available, can receive it if they received their last dose more than 6 months ago.

However, the administration of the bivalent vaccine in August or September 2023 would delay the possibility of receiving the new vaccine by six months.

let me have both you dumb fucks

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

wish mine were. whole lotta unmasked coughing at the three hour meeting with lots of talking today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

let me have both you dumb fucks
____________/