Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

i started trying to watch this and the pilot is so good for 35mins but some of the episodes are very poo poo immediatly afterwards. looking at the mongol episode and the heart of darkness episode. the others have been decent. so im going to try to stick with it

The Mongol episode is widely regarded as the worst episode of the show.

Like many shows, it took a bit in Season 1 to find their footing. They find it in Season 1 IMO and it takes off from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah. Snergle, I would suggest trying to go through it until the season 1 finale and the season 2 opener. That is where the show really kicks off and demonstrates what it wants to be, and does it in style.

I think season 1 has the weird Hathor episode somewhere, that one is a miss too. Other than that, it's mostly fun sci-fi times from now on.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ChairmanMauzer posted:

The Mongol episode is a definite low point.

it sucks because i was like holy poo poo mongols yes. Then it was a sexism plot when mongols were progressive with women for their time. genghis used political marriages to steal kingdoms. essenstially he was like hey bro i wont invade if you disavow all heirs and wives and marry my daughter. they do it. then hes like great now come help me fight your neighbor that guys a dick. then when the king gets there genghis is like hey go fight in the front line to prove your a man. they die from fighting or an arrow in the back and his daughter is now sole ruler of that kingdom and he trusted them to do a good job.

Rappaport posted:

Yeah. Snergle, I would suggest trying to go through it until the season 1 finale and the season 2 opener. That is where the show really kicks off and demonstrates what it wants to be, and does it in style.

I think season 1 has the weird Hathor episode somewhere, that one is a miss too. Other than that, it's mostly fun sci-fi times from now on.

yeah i plan to atleast finish the first season but i couldnt make it through tng

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e: nm

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 27, 2023

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Good news, snergle, there are a lot more good episodes than bad.

Rappaport posted:

One of the more memorable scenes is when Daniel and Jack disagree with Jack's actions towards the momma of the replicators. They're both extremely confident that they're right, and it's pretty gut-wrenching to see that play out.

I think that was one of the only a handful of times Daniel got properly upset about something in the entire series. That rarity in itself lends weight to any such interaction. He's usually a lot more zen.

redshirt posted:

I've read that's why they invented the organization "NID", so they could be the government bad guys, without actually naming any real government agencies or military as the bad guys.

That's what happens when you rely on the military for props and poo poo. You end up giving a general that can't act some lines, and making up mystery organizations to not hurt your liasions' feelings.

alexandriao posted:

Also, SG-1 predicted Trump,

down to the mannerisms.

Great work by the actor, but what a slimey gross character :shudder:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

alexandriao posted:

Also, SG-1 predicted Trump,

down to the mannerisms.

He always reminded me of McConnel, has that turtle look

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

That's what happens when you rely on the military for props and poo poo. You end up giving a general that can't act some lines, and making up mystery organizations to not hurt your liasions' feelings.

To be fair, the NID did have a dedicated focus on offworld tech/threats, which no actual Government agency has. If SG1 was real, would it be the CIA that would take that role? Space Force?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

starmy

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redshirt posted:

To be fair, the NID did have a dedicated focus on offworld tech/threats, which no actual Government agency has. If SG1 was real, would it be the CIA that would take that role? Space Force?

In a strange quirk of Federal regulations, it would actually fall under the jurisdiction of the Postmaster General.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

Area 51 is still part of an air force base, right? Have the postmaster general corrupt some air force generals and have some homeland security guys tag along for the ride. Unsanctioned from the start.

When I say Postmaser General, I of course mean Ba'al.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

maybe it should be the postal service...?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I liked Cadet Haley's arc. We first see her and she's a stuck up rear end in a top hat; next time we see her she's part of a squad and into it. I think that's her only two episodes.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

redshirt posted:

I liked Cadet Haley's arc. We first see her and she's a stuck up rear end in a top hat; next time we see her she's part of a squad and into it. I think that's her only two episodes.

Yeah! That was fun seeing someone new be involved. Also the episode with those lower decks type guys who accidentally mess up an undercover operation.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Season 4 seems really big on bottle/Earth-based episodes. I don't know if there was budget issues at the time, but it's also the season where they start building space craft, so I imagine they saved money for the wonderful CGI.

2010 is a very good episode. Always fun to see possible futures.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

itry posted:

Great work by the actor, but what a slimey gross character :shudder:

Ronny Cox's specialty

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Season 4 seems really big on bottle/Earth-based episodes. I don't know if there was budget issues at the time, but it's also the season where they start building space craft, so I imagine they saved money for the wonderful CGI.

2010 is a very good episode. Always fun to see possible futures.

I loved 2001/2010 combo. The Aeschen were such unique villains.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Ronny Cox's specialty

Apparently he's a hell of a banjo player. Seems odd to consider.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The Aeschen as post Goauld villains would've been cool. Hated the whole ancients hosed up and refuse to do anything again story line

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The Aeschen as post Goauld villains would've been cool. Hated the whole ancients hosed up and refuse to do anything again story line

With the Ori, or with Anubis? Or both?

I would have liked one more Aeschen episode where Earth goes to their world and fucks their poo poo up.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Stargate Command isn't bloodthirsty enough to punish a planet for loving over Earth in a different timeline.

Although having ships and teleporters they could just take their poo poo and bounce.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Stargate Command isn't bloodthirsty enough to punish a planet for loving over Earth in a different timeline.

Although having ships and teleporters they could just take their poo poo and bounce.

True, but only one episode was in an alternate timeline. They tried to kill Carter in the regular timeline, and tried to destroy Earth. And they are an oppressive force that has subjugated many planets of humans,

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

redshirt posted:

I would have liked one more Aeschen episode where Earth goes to their world and fucks their poo poo up.

Ori. There's still snakes faffing about post anubis

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

redshirt posted:

I loved the actual series finale but I would've also loved SG-1 rolling up to the Aeschen homeworld in their new Asgard outfitted ships and blasting the poo poo out of an Aeschen city

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's possible they tried the address for the black hole gate and their entie solar system got destroyed in the process. We'll never know.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

oneill: try dialing 69
carter: colonel...
jackson: actually that's not a bad idea
teal'c: mmhm

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Teal'c: I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello.
O'Neill: Call Daniel. *tosses phone*

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Dude they legit did an episode where O'Neill gets a space STD

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

I loved the actual series finale but I would've also loved SG-1 rolling up to the Aeschen homeworld in their new Asgard outfitted ships and blasting the poo poo out of an Aeschen city

Hell yeah brother! Cheers from the Daedalus!

Though I doubt SGC would ever do that. But taking out their Stargate? Seems like a legit target.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I can't get cable TV (I'd sign up for it if I could), and I don't want a dish. So I use an antennae, and get quite a few channels (though the quality can vary based on weather).

One of those channels I adore: Comet TV. And they have 4 hours of Stargate SG:1 on from 11-3 M-F. Just great background for WFH.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Currently watching "The Light", yet another episode where someone does something completely out of character after returning from offworld, then one of the main cast starts acting out of character and everyone just shrugs their shoulders and carries on with their day.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

Currently watching "The Light", yet another episode where someone does something completely out of character after returning from offworld, then one of the main cast starts acting out of character and everyone just shrugs their shoulders and carries on with their day.

was it friday? that happens to me on fridays.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

S7E6 Lifeboat. Michael Shanks gets like 5 alien consciousnesses invading his brain and has to talk with all the different voices like a DM.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Armacham posted:

S7E6 Lifeboat. Michael Shanks gets like 5 alien consciousnesses invading his brain and has to talk with all the different voices like a DM.

Is this the one with the line there's a democracy in my head or something? I think whoever ends up with all of them in their head says it not Daniel.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 29, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Made it up to s01e11 now. Teal'c is my little meow meow. He lived such a hard life and I just wanna hug him. He looks so sad when he's worried about his son and when he thought Daniel got incinerated, and oooh he's such a sensitive hunk.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Go to hell Apophis!

Alone, surrounded by Replicators....

itry
Aug 23, 2019

GolfHole posted:

maybe it should be the postal service...?

Post(wo)man PBat

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

pixaal posted:

Is this the one with the line there's a democracy in my head or something? I think whoever ends up with all of them in their head says it not Daniel.

One of the dudes in his head is a king so he talks like an rear end in a top hat. I don't remember the democracy line, but I am simultaneously caring for my 1 year old so I miss a few things lol

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
This is more a comedy/procedural thing: It's not unheard of for popular shows to get international market remakes.

Was SG1 so popular worldwide to make that not really needed, or was there enough of a gap in larger markets for someone to sort of bypass the movie and jump straight into remaking Stargate-for-TV from scratch for a foreign market with a non-US setting and cast? Maybe negotiate with reusing effects, footage, props, models, etc. from the US production.

Because I'm always interested what a 'remade totally for/by a foreign market' would look like for certain franchises, and with the show having such a positive US Military perspective, I can't help but wonder if some markets would see this and go, "Can you imagine how big this could be in ______ if the characters were working for the _______ military?!"

edit: I guess we'll always have the anime "GATE".

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Til that the dhd has USB ports. I guess it does have the word universal right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Armacham posted:

Til that the dhd has USB ports. I guess it does have the word universal right there.

Really hope that's USB-C there. Would really suck to get shot to death as you couldn't figure out which way you needed to plug it in.

As if not that would 100% happen.