Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Maybe don't post it until this all blows over though... :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

PhilippAchtel posted:

People use automated tools to determine where other players live and when they go to work/sleep.

Botting treads the line and perhaps crosses it, but there isn't a single eve player who doesn't seriously benefit from automated data collection, so the response feels a bit forced at times, but I've come to learn that's just EvE Online.

yeah in a game where you can simultaneously run 14 accounts all with various different alliances and corps so that you can do stuff like scout for wardecs on a neutral alt and then login gank them with your decc'd characters, or suicide gank people with your 8 tornado alts or whatever this all feels very silly.

edit: also this lol

orange juche posted:

Even with Elusif running a bot people still died lol

iirc geese managed to lose at least 2 or 3 Orcas and maybe a Rorq? even with the whole thing set up lmao

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

TerranRaida posted:

I get made a director only a few months ago and people are acting like I developed this from my own brain on reddit and the eve o forums calling for me to get permanently banned. It's such a bummer to get railroaded like this.

The best piece of advice I ever got as a semi-public figure was to read all feedback in Dale Gribble's voice because it conveys the exact level of respect you should have for people posting their speculation as hard truth. The corollary to this is never take feedback from someone you wouldn't ask for it anyways. Sucks you have to go through all this though. Worst case you get freed to go paint little plastic dudes?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TerranRaida posted:

I get made a director only a few months ago and people are acting like I developed this from my own brain on reddit and the eve o forums calling for me to get permanently banned. It's such a bummer to get railroaded like this.

Let this be a lesson to you all. When goons ask for leadership just take a swift step back log out and go to the movies or something.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

you're a good egg for a d-name, d'ceet.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
no deceit with d’ceet #1 CSM of my heart :honk:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

D'ceet - actually the straight man, ironically enough

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Free elusif.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Only with purchase of another elusif of equal or greater value

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
How does the botting stuff even come out? Couldn't he just claim irl stuff has come up to justify his absence during any bans etc?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The guy linked his public repository of bot code to his Discord account and also seemed to speak of botting stuff on what I assume is the Goose Discord what with the screenshot of talking about memory addresses changing breaking his stuff. Hard to imagine people didn't know what was going on.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
karttoon was banned for python injection and he did nothing wrong.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
lmfao it's like watching an npm repository get poisoned in a supply chain attack, truly eve is real

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Botting in EVE is bad?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That Works posted:

Botting in EVE is bad?

the other botters are jealous of elusif's efficiency

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Elukka posted:

The guy linked his public repository of bot code to his Discord account and also seemed to speak of botting stuff on what I assume is the Goose Discord what with the screenshot of talking about memory addresses changing breaking his stuff. Hard to imagine people didn't know what was going on.

He’s also kind of famous for running a huge bot farm in the 2009-12 era and selling “eve gold” to a lot of goons.

Elusif II
Jul 13, 2022

I'm Gary
[robotically]
eve online

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Elusif II posted:

[robotically]
eve online

hello, my name is mr. fisule, and I come from... someplace far away!

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Is reading memory not allowed? I know writing to it is banable but thought reading was pretty standard.

Isn't that how all the market assistants, local watching stuff, etc works?

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Elusif II posted:

[robotically]
eve online

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
ccp being unpleasantly reminded that the client is in the hands of the enemy

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

"players are the enemy" explains most of ccp's business decisions over the past decade

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

yoloer420 posted:

Is reading memory not allowed? I know writing to it is banable but thought reading was pretty standard.

Isn't that how all the market assistants, local watching stuff, etc works?

Esi and logs ≠ memory. The market assistants will read esi, and TACO/SMT/other intel tools read chat logs. There is a tonne more info saved to memory that they don’t want you reading, hence it is not allowed.

(Thats my understanding anyways, please someone correct me if you do this stuff)

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

floppyspud posted:

(Thats my understanding anyways, please someone correct me if you do this stuff)

The Very Bad Thing they do not like is automated input of any kind, and the unfortunate reality re: memory reading is that it's arbitrarily decided most of the time. Sometimes it's okay, sometimes it's not.

They had a huge internal disagreement over whether the twitch streams that show several overviews and local at all the major gatecamp gate choke points simultaneously on one screen violated the eula awhile back and ever since then it's been pretty confusing what is and is not allowed. In the end they allowed that.

It's the same situation logs have been into for awhile. Some use of realtime logs is ok, some is randomly bad. The rule as worded is nothing that causes an unfair advantage, but the reality is that *most* market mover type bots are unfair, because the public ones suck.

Edit: to be clear here, bot in this sentence means just something that makes decisions for you, not necessarily automatically.

Basically, don't violate the automated input rule, and hope the rest of your hilarious stuff goes by unnoticed.

windex fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 29, 2023

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

windex posted:

The rule as worded is nothing that causes an unfair advantage

Thankyou :ccp: for the very objective and clear rules!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Seems like a clear distinction would be that both logs and the API (ESI) are information that CCP deliberately gives you to do whatever with. Should they decide they don't want you to crunch that data, they could just not write the logs or shut down the relevant API endpoint.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Elukka posted:

Seems like a clear distinction would be that both logs and the API (ESI) are information that CCP deliberately gives you to do whatever with. Should they decide they don't want you to crunch that data, they could just not write the logs or shut down the relevant API endpoint.

The problem is that the client no longer has privileged information (everything really important is only on the node, now, so the old method of say, detecting cloaked ships by monitoring internal memory, no longer works).

And on that basis, the problem with logs is the same as internal memory, the loglite interface spits out identifying data whenever somebody shows up on grid uncloaked.

Chatlogs are not what other tools are using to detect people in system because they only actually get written when people talk in chat (including local), they don't update on someone just popping into local. They're (almost certainly) using loglite (or lying outright), and the difference here vs memory is one of formality.

Basically, the rules are hot garbage, and so is the enforcement, but I tend to agree that automated input is an easy moral line. With that said, imagine how awful battleship/t2/capship production would be without bots stocking the market with the prerequisites. It would just be impossible without the collective man-hours of the mega alliances (that aren't bots).

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kazinsal posted:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i like elusif and you rule loving losers can kick rocks

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

ccp must be treated with respect the sanctity of the gamwe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TerranRaida
Feb 3, 2010

Rhymenoserous posted:

Let this be a lesson to you all. When goons ask for leadership just take a swift step back log out and go to the movies or something.

The worst part is I didn't ask for it! I was approached for the job!

but alas, I would rather it all come on me than the homies.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:munch:

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

It’s this, OP

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i like elusif and you rule loving losers can kick rocks

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TerranRaida posted:

I would rather it all come on me than the homies.

:dudsmile:

Baron of Bad News
Aug 4, 2009

Elusif II posted:

[robotically]
eve online

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
bots are good because it means less human beings interacting with eve-online, a bad game

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

follow up drama on eve reddit about this

lol and lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
CSM thread got locked this morning pending investigation. Today I learned that CCPSwifty is actually staff and actually has a TaySway avatar.

This videogame and it's videogame elections are silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Techno
Jul 13, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
so, mittani was right?