Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
No, AC6: Fires of whatever is the game where you play as an ace pilot operating a customizable piece of cutting-edge military hardware that you can upgrade between missions. No idea why so many people are talking about it now, it came out back in 2007. Did it get a rerelease?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

That reminds me that I bought AC6 after playing through and enjoying AC7, I really need to start that.

Something that's not really dragging down the games, more just a general thing that's been bugging me:

The old 2D Zelda games used large sprites for the villains to make them more detailed (and bigger hit boxes). In the 3D games, they have Gannondorf/Gannon be massive compared to other characters, even as a Gerudo. The thing that's bugging me since the Oracle games were released on Switch is... would Orox and Veran also be larger than life if we ever got them in a 3D game?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Nuebot posted:

Like, I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong - but sometimes the game just doesn't change what character I have selected? So I'll click the icon to swap, and it just won't, I'll have to click a second time. Which sucks if I'm not paying attention because I'm trying to do something quickly, and then I accidentally do it with the wrong character.

Both the Divinity: Original Sin games had this as well, and it seems to be caused by the same thing. At least much of the time there might be more causes. If the character you currently have selected is doing anything; attacking, casting a spell, climbing a ladder, jumping, basically anything other than standing stock still or walking in a straight line, then you can't unselect them. It's real dumb and annoying and often they're considered to be still doing some actions for several seconds after the animation has ended so it can be hard to put together that's what's happening.

Another issue that was in both D:OS games that they've carried forward: You cant pan the camera to a point by clicking on the map/minimap like you can in basically every other game in existence. So annoying

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Snake Maze posted:

No, AC6: Fires of whatever is the game where you play as an ace pilot operating a customizable piece of cutting-edge military hardware that you can upgrade between missions. No idea why so many people are talking about it now, it came out back in 2007. Did it get a rerelease?

Personally was a big fan of DS, really looking forward to DS2. Not sure about Isaac Clarke getting a voice actor though, hope it pans out well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Loved DS, Fromsoft's last game. Really going to enjoy their next one, DS!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CJacobs posted:

Personally was a big fan of DS, really looking forward to DS2. Not sure about Isaac Clarke getting a voice actor though, hope it pans out well.

Which one was Isaac? Was that Die-hardman's real name?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Spek posted:

Both the Divinity: Original Sin games had this as well, and it seems to be caused by the same thing. At least much of the time there might be more causes. If the character you currently have selected is doing anything; attacking, casting a spell, climbing a ladder, jumping, basically anything other than standing stock still or walking in a straight line, then you can't unselect them. It's real dumb and annoying and often they're considered to be still doing some actions for several seconds after the animation has ended so it can be hard to put together that's what's happening.

Another issue that was in both D:OS games that they've carried forward: You cant pan the camera to a point by clicking on the map/minimap like you can in basically every other game in existence. So annoying

I kept opening the map and clicking on a point on the map I've already discovered, so that the characters would walk there. For, like, the first 10 hours of the game. I felt like an idiot every time.

On the bright side, I bounced off of DOS2 a couple times before ever leaving Tutorial Island just because of the controls/working out how to play that CRPG. Now that I'm into Act 2 of BG3, I have never wanted to go back into another game so badly. I'm probably gonna finish BG3, steamroller DOS2, then come back for BG3: Bad Guy Edition. Once that's done I'll probably play one of the Pathfinder games. I never gave Pathfinder games a shot because Pathfinder is so mechanically dense, which works out on literal paper due to DM fiat but I wasn't sure how it would work in a video game. I feel a lot more confident now that I've spent some time* in BG3.

*100 hours, just reaching the inn in Act 2 :shepface:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

kazil posted:

he was the Scholar of the First Flame

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

bawk posted:

Once that's done I'll probably play one of the Pathfinder games. I never gave Pathfinder games a shot because Pathfinder is so mechanically dense, which works out on literal paper due to DM fiat but I wasn't sure how it would work in a video game. I feel a lot more confident now that I've spent some time* in BG3.

Protip: Do not do your first run of either Pathfinder game on Core difficulty.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What's the difference between D&D and Pathfinder? I once asked someone and they said, "Same thing," and I feel that's not the correct answer.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

credburn posted:

What's the difference between D&D and Pathfinder? I once asked someone and they said, "Same thing," and I feel that's not the correct answer.

No, it is

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Pathfinder was pretty much a continuation/upgrade to D&D version 3.5 (an overhaul of is own 3rd edition), so it really was basically the same thing. It's got a second edition now that I've never played, but I imagine it's still in a similar space.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

D&D is for filthy casuals. Pathfinder is for sweaty tryhards.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

credburn posted:

Pathfinder basically started as the Project M of D&D. If this sentence makes no sense to you carry on and I'll accept my swirlie.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Pathfinder was pretty much a continuation/upgrade to D&D version 3.5 (an overhaul of is own 3rd edition), so it really was basically the same thing. It's got a second edition now that I've never played, but I imagine it's still in a similar space.

Yeah, the company that makes Pathfinder kept going with it while the company that makes D&D made 4th edition instead. And now there’s D&D 5th edition, and Pathfinder 2e, so they’re growing further apart with time in terms of worldbuilding and rules. The updated version of Pathfinder 2e coming out this fall is supposed to get rid of the remaining D&D rules and ideas, so it’s really more that Pathfinder 1e is the same thing as D&D 3.5.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

credburn posted:

That's more or less accurate.

To cut a very long story short, Wizards of the Coast, the publishers of D&D, had set up the 'Open Games License' where independent publishers were allowed to make content for the then-current D&D 3E, use all the rules from it, etc, without royalties and all that. This lead to a lot of publishers being founded and a lot of books getting published.

Then, WotC made a new licensing agreement for D&D 4E and completely dicked over all the old publishers that made 3E so popular.

So, one of the companies that was previously publishing D&D compatible stuff, basically said 'gently caress that' and made their own fork of 3E. That's Pathfinder, and it was explicitly meant to be backwards compatible with all the old 3E third party material.

So in a nutshell, Pathfinder 1E literally is just D&D 3E but with the numbers scratched off.
2E is supposed to be a pretty big departure but I have no experience with that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Arivia posted:

The updated version of Pathfinder 2e coming out this fall is supposed to get rid of the remaining D&D rules and ideas, so it’s really more that Pathfinder 1e is the same thing as D&D 3.5.

Oh interesting, that's good to know. I started with OG Pathfinder but was active in 5e by the time they moved to their second edition. I'm actually more interested to check it out knowing it's that much of a split, I never really bothered since I figured it would be similar enough to D&D that I might as well continue with what I was already playing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

kazil posted:

His name is, hand to God, John McClane.

Hideo Kojima is such a good writer.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

For how good all the character stories and writing is in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, it becomes really obvious that they just had nothing for Sena, even in her own side-story. For being one of the main party, she gets less to work with than several of the interchangeable secondary party members.

Every other party member has a story clearly linked into the core setting and its intricacies and weirdness around an eternal clone-war, that's paid off in their specific side-story. Roughly in the order I found them, we have...
-Eunie's being largely about the colony ranking system, tying into the fact she's the only one that learned about one of her past lives.
-Taion's is a whole thing about his two mentors, tied into meeting a clone of one that slipped through the cracks of the war.
-Mio's is about the lost friend that she has a shitton of survivor's guilt about, tied into one of Moebius' black-site operations.
-I haven't found Lanz's yet, but that's obviously gonna be about his feelings about Joran sacrificing himself for him and/or joining Moebius and/or sacrificing himself for him again. (EDIT: I have now found Lanz's, and I was wrong, it's about how Moebius looks at and handles the resistance army, linked by Lanz just generally being gung-ho about fighting. Slim justification, but works well enough.)
-And Noah's got like, four different things his could be about, but it's probably gonna be either about Consul N or his feelings for Mio, and the whole insane recurring deaths thing about that.

And in the midst of all that, Sena gets... a story entirely about the social dynamics of a city she didn't grow up in and is not part of, told through the conflict between two characters she's got no greater connection to than anyone else, that's poorly justified by way of an extremely forced comparison to Sena's feelings of inadequacy that the game never talks about for more than half a scene. It feels like they had two ideas for stories about Ghondor and none for Sena, and just solved that problem by adding both the Ghondor stories and pretending one was really about Sena, despite her barely getting any lines in it.

Sena definitely felt like there was some earlier plan to replace her, so they didn't bother with her. Then they finished the game and forgot to fix that.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Sena does have a major role in an otherwise hard to find subplot at the end of the game.

There's no egregious scene-stealing on the level of Persona 5, where a loving cat eats all of Haru's relevance to the plot. She's not even the last party-member introduced, but even the latecomers are given more to work with than her.

You didn't have to add the cat part!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CitizenKain posted:

Sena definitely felt like there was some earlier plan to replace her, so they didn't bother with her. Then they finished the game and forgot to fix that.

God, it would make so much sense if they were trying to do a Galuf/Krile thing in Final Fantasy V and have Sena's spot eventually taken by Ghondor, and that's why Sena's characterization is so thin and simultaneously pretty much only linked to Ghondor's story.

Well, it would make sense as a bad idea that they rejected, because Galuf and Krile worked because Galuf did get early characterization, it would've clashed horribly with the way XC3 does sidequest writing, and Ghondor's voice acting is absolutely awful and I have no idea why they gave her such a prominent role when she's the only one from the City who can't do their Australian accent. But Sena does read like how someone would write a character that's gonna die early, that doesn't know how to do it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh interesting, that's good to know. I started with OG Pathfinder but was active in 5e by the time they moved to their second edition. I'm actually more interested to check it out knowing it's that much of a split, I never really bothered since I figured it would be similar enough to D&D that I might as well continue with what I was already playing.

Yeah, PF2e is actually moving things forwards and incorporating good game design ideas while shedding a lot of the old crud. It's certainly worth checking out on its own merits.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Yeah, the company that makes Pathfinder kept going with it while the company that makes D&D made 4th edition instead. And now there’s D&D 5th edition, and Pathfinder 2e, so they’re growing further apart with time in terms of worldbuilding and rules. The updated version of Pathfinder 2e coming out this fall is supposed to get rid of the remaining D&D rules and ideas, so it’s really more that Pathfinder 1e is the same thing as D&D 3.5.
Are they getting rid of the bad stat array

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gerblyn posted:

This happens to me all the time! It usually happens after I drag a character off to separate from the group, and then I assume the game would autoselect that character and it does not.

DoubleNegative posted:

No, this is definitely a problem I ran into a lot, too. The UI is oddly unresponsive in that regard. Although I did learn that you can swap between party members with F1-F4. It's not a complete fix, but it does help!

Nuebot posted:

It's fairly annoying that you can't swap who's talking in Baldur's Gate 3, and so sometimes there are post-fight conversations where NPCs will start talking to whoever was closest, rather than whoever you were controlling leading to situations where my low charisma/wisdom fighter gets to do all the talking! That and a few other things the game does really just kind of build the more it happens to make some things more frustrating than fun. Like, I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong - but sometimes the game just doesn't change what character I have selected? So I'll click the icon to swap, and it just won't, I'll have to click a second time. Which sucks if I'm not paying attention because I'm trying to do something quickly, and then I accidentally do it with the wrong character.

the reason behind this is that you can rearrange and disconect individual party members with drag&drop, and the hold-time for that is so loving low that the game frequently thinks you want to rearrange characters.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bloodstained did not make the best first impression.

There's a very early chunk of the castle where in standard fashion you enter a three floor tall room on the bottom level and can't go any higher because of broken staircases. You end up going in a long loop, through several combat gauntlets, and end up on the top level. There's a gap in the top floor. There's an enemy on the other side of the gap.

Now take your pick: Do you panic when the enemy appears and retreat backwards, intentionally jump down because the otherwise inaccessible middle floor has treasure, or do you fail to jump at all because the game has input detection problems, zero coyote time, and Dark Souls-esque turbo gravity? Whichever option applies, you get to watch Miriam plummet all the way back down to the bottom floor thanks to poorly considered platform placement, necessitating going all the gently caress way back around to try again.

Then you finally get it right, successfully drop down to the second level to get the loot, and realize there's still no way back up and you have to do it all AGAIN.

Shortly afterwards, you get an obnoxious boss fight. Said boss deals about a fifth of your health in damage per hit, can dash in from offscreen with minimal warning, and particularly annoying has a big signature attack that randomly whiffs entirely leaving him super vulnerable OR tracks onto your position and blows you up with no logic to it.

Many of his attacks also throw you around, which is annoying. But it also stands in contrast to regular combat where Miriam has gently caress and all for i-frames and "only" gets momentarily hitstunned, making smaller enemies an absolute nightmare. I assume some of this is down to being at the start of RPG progression, but I don't remember bats being anywhere near as troublesome in previous games, even at the start.

There's a requisite legally-distinct floor bound trap plant enemy ala crabgrass and it appears its hitbox is hosed somehow such that certain weapons can hit it only about half the time with no clear explanation.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

There's a requisite legally-distinct floor bound trap plant enemy ala crabgrass and it appears its hitbox is hosed somehow such that certain weapons can hit it only about half the time with no clear explanation.

Agreed on all points, but I have a tip for this: the game knows the difference between crouch + attack and crouch + lean forward + attack. You have to angle it a little bit. Makes it a bit easier.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

That's because Smash Brothers has a Z-axis so Piranha Plant's hitbox can wobble in and out of range

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

John Murdoch posted:

Bloodstained did not make the best first impression.

There's a very early chunk of the castle where in standard fashion you enter a three floor tall room on the bottom level and can't go any higher because of broken staircases. You end up going in a long loop, through several combat gauntlets, and end up on the top level. There's a gap in the top floor. There's an enemy on the other side of the gap.

Now take your pick: Do you panic when the enemy appears and retreat backwards, intentionally jump down because the otherwise inaccessible middle floor has treasure, or do you fail to jump at all because the game has input detection problems, zero coyote time, and Dark Souls-esque turbo gravity? Whichever option applies, you get to watch Miriam plummet all the way back down to the bottom floor thanks to poorly considered platform placement, necessitating going all the gently caress way back around to try again.

Then you finally get it right, successfully drop down to the second level to get the loot, and realize there's still no way back up and you have to do it all AGAIN.

Shortly afterwards, you get an obnoxious boss fight. Said boss deals about a fifth of your health in damage per hit, can dash in from offscreen with minimal warning, and particularly annoying has a big signature attack that randomly whiffs entirely leaving him super vulnerable OR tracks onto your position and blows you up with no logic to it.

Many of his attacks also throw you around, which is annoying. But it also stands in contrast to regular combat where Miriam has gently caress and all for i-frames and "only" gets momentarily hitstunned, making smaller enemies an absolute nightmare. I assume some of this is down to being at the start of RPG progression, but I don't remember bats being anywhere near as troublesome in previous games, even at the start.

My pro bloodstained tip is to just find a power that feels broken as use it until you find one that's even more broken

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PYF Things Dragging MINI-games Down:

The business management mini-game in Yakuza: LAD has some of the most repetitive videogame music I've ever heard. Like I think only the invincible tune from Super Mario Bros. beats it. I have to mute my TV whenever I'm playing.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Nuebot posted:

My pro bloodstained tip is to just find a power that feels broken as use it until you find one that's even more broken
I find myself using the bouncing splash 90% of the time, because while it's not really broken, it's generally always useful. Great for hitting those little poo poo enemies like the plants and frogs that are otherwise annoying as hell.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
A lot of people when Bloodstained first came out were using the Portrait shard and the Directional Arrow shard. The arrow shard in particular, as you level it up, turns into a point blank shotgun. Bloodstained really is all about finding something that works for you and running that poo poo into the ground.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It sucks because there are like a billion shards and weapons and 99.9% are just kinda bad

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lobok posted:

The business management mini-game in Yakuza: LAD has some of the most repetitive videogame music I've ever heard. Like I think only the invincible tune from Super Mario Bros. beats it. I have to mute my TV whenever I'm playing.

If its any consolation, you can binge the entire minigame in a single setting and never touch it again, because of better money-spinners found later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If its any consolation, you can binge the entire minigame in a single setting and never touch it again, because of better money-spinners found later.

I'm only on Chapter 11 and the Kappa picture quest is bugged so it's my main way of making money unless I try save scumming the casino.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

kazil posted:

It sucks because there are like a billion shards and weapons and 99.9% are just kinda bad

Ehhh, there aren't many shards or weapons I would call outright bad, you just need to prefer certain playstyles to like them. Even ones that are explicitly meant to be a joke, like Summon Chair, tend to have SOME use if you're willing to upgrade them.

Ironically, I feel like one of the truly 'bad' weapons in the game is actually the 'ultimate' gun.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Splicer posted:

Are they getting rid of the bad stat array

No, but they include an optional rules section in which they admit that the normal stat array is crap, and give you a way for you to fix it. But you do need to do basically a find+replace on all instances of Strength, Con and Dex in the rules.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Lobok posted:

Last year, my partner was playing some spooky-themed point-n-click game (I'll have to ask him what it was) and the music was SO repetitive, just like the same few notes over and over, that I made him mute the game. :argh:

I can deal with repetitive music (hell, I listen to a lot of EDM), but just the same few "spooky" notes repeating over and over? BEGONE.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's what I mean. Repetitive to the point of repeating the same 3-7 seconds over and over. Like drat, my washing machine has a chime that lasts longer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sonic Unleashed battle music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Read After Burning posted:

Last year, my partner was playing some spooky-themed point-n-click game (I'll have to ask him what it was) and the music was SO repetitive, just like the same few notes over and over, that I made him mute the game. :argh:

I can deal with repetitive music (hell, I listen to a lot of EDM), but just the same few "spooky" notes repeating over and over? BEGONE.

Be sure you do ask him because I'm curious now too