Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I've been in the Tampa airport and it feels like it'd be a death trap in a hurricane with major storm surge but I am not an engineer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is Idalia why it says Minneapolis will be 109 wednesday of next week? lol

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

actionjackson posted:

It's just payback from the stupid polar vortex y'all threw down to us in the past

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

I don't understand. Don't you guys got like thousands of lakes up there? How tf do you have a drought?

a drought is when it doesn't rain

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Hooplah posted:

a drought is when it doesn't rain

get a rain, morans

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

well, get him a youtube stream at least

and a life jacket. safety first!

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 22:14 on Aug 28, 2023

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I see 100 on Monday

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Some of the prettiest countryside in the world. Idyllic Alpine valley sort of poo poo that Hitler used to flick his microweiner over. Berchtesgaden, where he had his chateau and all of the Big Nazis had houses, is just north of there.

I mean, I don't want to drat it by association, it's a beautiful area.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
gastrointestinal waterfalls are often brown.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

It needs to actually rain to get the lake water onto the soil. The alternative is direct irrigation. It's been hot, dry, and windy for most of the past 3 months.

In fact now that I think of it, this is probably among some of the driest summers I can remember. We've had relatively few storms and nearly no mid-day cloudbursts that used to be really common.

For MSP, this is currently the 7th driest summer on record (since 1871). Last summer was the 10th driest. The trend for the last half century is very slightly positive though.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

actionjackson posted:

No, it is a known error in the GFS model where dry soil results in excess heat build up. It will not be 109 in Minneapolis in September, it's just funny to look at.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

SourKraut posted:

Blame SirPablo; he brought Phoenix temps to the Midwest when he moved!

If that's true then why is it still hot in Phoenix?

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I simply cannot imagine living in a place that gets consistently hit by hurricanes year after year

Now, living in a place that's in wildfire danger every year, that I don't have to imagine

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1695967270478999868?s=20

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Smashing

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Some of the prettiest countryside in the world. Idyllic Alpine valley sort of poo poo that Hitler used to flick his microweiner over. Berchtesgaden, where he had his chateau and all of the Big Nazis had houses, is just north of there.

I mean, I don't want to drat it by association, it's a beautiful area.

it would be hard to dam it now while the waters raging. beautiful historic hitlersburg should wait until it calms down

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i'm trying to picture 105 degrees with new orleans humidity and it makes me want to die here on my couch in my house hundreds and hundreds of miles away

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I always thought New Orleans got that hot every summer.

Must be like living in a sweatsock.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hurricane Franklin is approaching Cat 5 status already. It's going to get close before it moves into waters that aren't warm enough to sustain a storm like this though.

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1696305531676241992?s=20

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hurricane Franklin is approaching Cat 5 status already. It's going to get close before it moves into waters that aren't warm enough to sustain a storm like this though.

gently caress, that might destroy Bermuda.

Edit: Closer look says it's probably going to miss south.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I honestly thought it got hotter there, having dealt with higher temps a few hours north of there.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

come on Frank dont be shy. you get east Florida as Idalia gets the west

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

RadiRoot posted:

come on Frank dont be shy. you get east Florida as Idalia gets the west

Have them crash together and then slam directly into Hilton Head.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Have them crash together and then slam directly into Hilton Head.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

it would be hard to dam it now while the waters raging. beautiful historic hitlersburg should wait until it calms down

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Toaster Beef posted:

i'm trying to picture 105 degrees with new orleans humidity and it makes me want to die here on my couch in my house hundreds and hundreds of miles away

imagine the smell

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Zeroisanumber posted:

gently caress, that might destroy Bermuda.

Edit: Closer look says it's probably going to miss south.

idk it kinda looks annular, i wonder if it might stay cohesive longer than normal

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Just occurred to me that I'm looking forward to next summer in a morbid kind of way

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Car Hater posted:

Just occurred to me that I'm looking forward to next summer in a morbid kind of way

Same. At this point all you can do is watch the train wreck even if we're all on the train.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Thesaurus posted:

Tampa knows to make the requisite sacrifices to invoke the favor of the gods. Fort Myers spurned the old ways.

leave a cuban sandwich on the beach to curry Tlaloc's favor

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Your dad needs to leave tomorrow op

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
The little bit of rain we have had in the midwest is coming down monsoon style. The ground doesn't have time to absorb the intense rain in an hour or two and it just runs off the land. In my neck of the woods we've only had 1 day this summer where it a nice light rain all day.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rubellavator posted:

I honestly thought it got hotter there, having dealt with higher temps a few hours north of there.

It usually rains a lot more here. Like it rained today for the first time in forever and everything immediately felt so much better. Normally during the summer you can set your watch to a noon rainstorm, but it's just been weeks and weeks of drought.

Toaster Beef posted:

It was heavy outside. That's the only way I can describe it. The air was heavy.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

SirPablo posted:

If that's true then why is it still hot in Phoenix?

Because God hates Phoenix

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

back in my day we only had one but hurricane a year, now we get 2 in a week. that’s progress, Jack.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

The little bit of rain we have had in the midwest is coming down monsoon style. The ground doesn't have time to absorb the intense rain in an hour or two and it just runs off the land. In my neck of the woods we've only had 1 day this summer where it a nice light rain all day.

mid east coast and we've had scattered storms but similar in the sense that there's not really been a day of just consistent rain all day to sit and watch. i miss those

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
catturd noooo

https://x.com/catturd2/status/1696154829846880727?s=46&t=DX0vU4KqndHVjiEw26RVXA

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Big wet Idalia is supposed to hit tonight right?.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

🎶 Hey, it's Franklin
Coming to destroy your house
Hey, it's Franklin
Coming to destroy my house
Hey, it's Franklin🎶

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's gonna rule when after Idalia do a grind on the east coast, it'll returns to Florida to just make sure they didn't left anything untouched