Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

kartikeya posted:

poo poo, thank you, I forgot about Skyclimb, I was definitely going to give that one a shot.

be advised. Skyclimb will end up requiring Open Cities or SR Cities Exteriors. Thief Gameplay is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

be advised. Skyclimb will end up requiring Open Cities or SR Cities Exteriors. Thief Gameplay is incredible.

Me: Open Cities, ugh, Arthmoor. What's SR Cities Exteriors?

SR Cities Exteriors: yo, I'm Open Cities but possibly less buggy and hopefully not made by an rear end in a top hat.

Me: Well, poo poo. But I don't want to ditch JK Dawn of Skyrim.

SR Cities Exteriors: Already have a patch for it.

SR Cities Exteriors: Also here's some instructions for how to make patches for other stuff.

SR Cities Exteriors: ...You get to ride your pony inside.

WELP. Does it have the issue of Solitude's NPCs occasionally falling to their doom? that was/is a problem with Open Cities that Arthmoor insisted was clearly the fault of another mod and anyone saying otherwise was a big stupid moron who didn't know how mods worked.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I just use the synthesis patcher that makes all named NPCs protected and it solves that problem for me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tankbuster posted:

I already use open cities. :shrug:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
then you have another way to traverse open cities now.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Just saw this under trending mods: Children of the Pariah, looks neat. Most appearance mods for orc women make them supermodel humans with tusks.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kartikeya posted:

Just saw this under trending mods: Children of the Pariah, looks neat. Most appearance mods for orc women make them supermodel humans with tusks.

If anyone is wondering about the locked comments: That person had the mod on that site but left after too many people asked her to make the mod male only or said the women looked ugly. It was really getting on her nerves. It was Tumblr exclusive for a while before people started having issues with downloads, so she put it up with locked comments.

The mod is very good, I've run with it since it was released!

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

If anyone is wondering about the locked comments: That person had the mod on that site but left after too many people asked her to make the mod male only or said the women looked ugly. It was really getting on her nerves. It was Tumblr exclusive for a while before people started having issues with downloads, so she put it up with locked comments.

The mod is very good, I've run with it since it was released!

lol. Of loving course. Good on her.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Good to see more mods that aren't just turning everyone into supermodels, I remember near release you'd have mods where even the grandma's look 20 year old's with double D's and 5 hours at the hair saloon.

Figures the community reaction would be anger that this even exists.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yup, good ol' assholes.

But it's really neat, I found myself noticing things like the orc who was exiled(?) from her stronghold not having any warpaint at all compared to the stronghold she came from.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Okay guys this thread is so bloated and out of date it's absolutely no use to new people with the Special Edition or Anniversary Edition (includes Special Edition with all the trimmings)

I'm just starting out so I can't be the OP of a new Skyrim SE thread, is there anyone here who wants to spread the love?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

kartikeya posted:

This is probably the best orc looks overhaul, the author's take on khajits also looks really nice.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Splorange posted:

How do you feel about non-anime bouncy tits and dicks? If even that poo poo's beneath you, ignore this post.

Sorry, you clearly put in a lot of effort into this but what i mean is I'm ok with just vanilla looking NPCs I'm more interested in cool stuff that isnt also packed with the bouncy boob mods.

Nexus mods have these big user made setups, those are the ones I'm referring to.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

Sorry, you clearly put in a lot of effort into this but what i mean is I'm ok with just vanilla looking NPCs I'm more interested in cool stuff that isnt also packed with the bouncy boob mods.

Nexus mods have these big user made setups, those are the ones I'm referring to.

Yeah, this was how I got to a vanilla+ friendly with bodytype variety - even if the filth is optional you have to wade through a lot of it during setup.

As for me not touching the mod packs, I really enjoy the process of doing a systematic setup myself since I can trouble shoot and patch incompatibilities with the tools that are available today. I've been using the dragonborns fate as a baseline including the simonrim gameplay changes for some time now. It's great.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

By popular demand posted:

Okay guys this thread is so bloated and out of date it's absolutely no use to new people with the Special Edition or Anniversary Edition (includes Special Edition with all the trimmings)

I'm just starting out so I can't be the OP of a new Skyrim SE thread, is there anyone here who wants to spread the love?

Not to be a buzzkill but Skyrim modding is going through an extended renaissance which has no end in sight. So any new OP is going to have to be very actively maintained to have any hope of being up to date.

There are entirely new mechanics being added to the game these days, like climbing!, to say nothing of a new age of animation.

This thread is super helpful and knowledgeable though, with people that track and keep up to date. I'm not even playing the game, just here to see the new mods that get linked.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

v1ld posted:

Not to be a buzzkill but Skyrim modding is going through an extended renaissance which has no end in sight. So any new OP is going to have to be very actively maintained to have any hope of being up to date.

There are entirely new mechanics being added to the game these days, like climbing!, to say nothing of a new age of animation.

This thread is super helpful and knowledgeable though, with people that track and keep up to date. I'm not even playing the game, just here to see the new mods that get linked.

OTOH things might slow down for awhile because of Starfield, so it might be perfect timing to setup a new thread.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
However fast or slow the pace of new modding gets, I've thought for a while that working on a canonical "thread OP" as a resource makes less sense than something like a wiki. But that would require people to want to spend time curating a wiki, which is another tall order. Basically, I made the OP (...seven years ago?? Yes, nearly exactly seven years ago! Jesus Christ!) like two months before Special Edition was announced, which would go on to make a lot of it obsolete. And I basically lost interest in Skyrim modding in the intervening nearly a decade, which is another thing that can happen and make the "big thread OP" model unwieldy. Basically I think a new thread would be better as a way to point people to a community resource and discuss new mods, but that's up to everyone still following along to decide.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I remember we played around with the idea of a modding wiki years ago, but to be honest I think it's too large a task. It's such a huge landscape and there's so much potential change going on with any actively developed mod that documentation would become a nightmare. It couldn't be just a goon wiki, it'd have to be an intra-communal endeavor to have any chance of staying afloat.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Just make the OP a link to the Wabbajack website and call it a day.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Yeah I don't think an OP needs a few things more than helpful resources and an FAQ with questions like "Which is better for modding, Skyrim (2011), Skyrim Special Edition, or Skyrim Anniversary Edition?"

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Simsmagic posted:

Yeah I don't think an OP needs a few things more than helpful resources and an FAQ with questions like "Which is better for modding, Skyrim (2011), Skyrim Special Edition, or Skyrim Anniversary Edition?"

Yeah agreed. At most, a second post with testimonials for different Wabbajack lists. There's no point trying to keep up a mod recommendation list.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Zeron posted:

Yeah agreed. At most, a second post with testimonials for different Wabbajack lists. There's no point trying to keep up a mod recommendation list.

Thirding this. The thread itself is the best place to get up to date mod recommendations. The "which version?" question is more important for the op.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 28, 2023

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Plus this thread is ~alive~ as in you can ask a question and someone might answer if it's not in the op.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Pretty much all of the Something Awful forums are hundreds of page threads with decades old OPs, it's part of the charm.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Charm don't help me pick a modlist.
:(

E: last I knew Nexus wasn't that great a place, is it now cool and good to give them money?

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 29, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Charm don't help me pick a modlist.
:(

E: last I knew Nexus wasn't that great a place, is it now cool and good to give them money?

Nexus is fine to great. Don't feel bad about giving them money.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Yeah I finally cracked after calculating just how long it will take to download several hundred small fixes in addition to the big multi GB files.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Arivia posted:

Nexus is fine to great. Don't feel bad about giving them money.

I concur, the users are easily the worst part. Nexus has strangely not been completely enshittified and they occasionally do good things moderationwise by not letting bigotry creep in.

Yeah I finally cracked after calculating just how long it will take to download several hundred small fixes in addition to the big multi GB files.

I'm just waiting for when they're going to stop honoring the lifelong premium I bought waaay back when.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Splorange posted:

I concur, the users are easily the worst part. Nexus has strangely not been completely enshittified and they occasionally do good things moderationwise by not letting bigotry creep in.

I'm just waiting for when they're going to stop honoring the lifelong premium I bought waaay back when.

I've had lifetime stuff that keep honoring the lifetime in name only and then introduce new premium tiers above that that sorry the lifetime doesn't apply to this. Hope Nexus never does this.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe I should post this in the Starfield thread, but I figured here would be better. I imagine there will be a Starfield modding thread in the future. Info about the upcoming, at some point, Starfield community patch. SimonMagus, Halgari, Noggog, and Pickysaurus will be the core team. I guess Arthmoor will be making his own but hopefully no one uses it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14877

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God I hope Arthmoor doesn't get to hold Starfield modding by the balls because he did the modding equivalent of posting "first" in the comments.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

guess we finally know what "SCP" is short for

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Leal posted:

God I hope Arthmoor doesn't get to hold Starfield modding by the balls because he did the modding equivalent of posting "first" in the comments.
I believe this team was formed in advance specifically to beat him to it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wiltsghost posted:

Maybe I should post this in the Starfield thread, but I figured here would be better. I imagine there will be a Starfield modding thread in the future. Info about the upcoming, at some point, Starfield community patch. SimonMagus, Halgari, Noggog, and Pickysaurus will be the core team. I guess Arthmoor will be making his own but hopefully no one uses it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14877

That's cool. SM's Skyrim overhauls are good. Haven't seen what the other three did but they don't have Arthmoor level infamy so it's a good sign.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

That's cool. SM's Skyrim overhauls are good. Haven't seen what the other three did but they don't have Arthmoor level infamy so it's a good sign.

The article introduces each of them but to put it short: the creators of Wabbajack, Synthesis, and a major coder for LotD. Very qualified, imo.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I think it's hilarious (and a bit sad) that they have already organized and are planning a community bugfix mod to a game that hasn't even released yet. Not to say that I trust Beth's QA department, because I certainly don't, but I hope it's improved to a point that a patch like this isn't strictly necessary.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

as they say, better safe than sorry

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
im just glad people are willing and able to do it, nay, looking forward to it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I look forward to playing Starfield in a couple years when modders have spent thousands of hours fixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay guys this thread is so bloated and out of date

Turn on your monitor.