Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

NeonPunk posted:

They're adding two new stagnant shadows for quantum and imaginary, so take a guess

Right, that's why I assumed it would be the new ones for DHIL and FX. But they could pull a bait and switch for Lynx, since she's not a Xianzhou char like the other two. That's why I'm wondering if there were any leaks specifically confirming it for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

FractalSandwich posted:

Long Dan is long.

Long, long, daaaaaaaaaaaaan

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Dragon Dan is supposed to do a lot of damage and that is good enough for the part of me that likes to see big numbers.

Besides, I pulled for Luocha so clearly being interesting in the plot is not important to me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hypocrisy posted:

Dragon Dan is supposed to do a lot of damage and that is good enough for the part of me that likes to see big numbers.

Besides, I pulled for Luocha so clearly being interesting in the plot is not important to me.

That's my view too

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Izzhov posted:

Right, that's why I assumed it would be the new ones for DHIL and FX. But they could pull a bait and switch for Lynx, since she's not a Xianzhou char like the other two. That's why I'm wondering if there were any leaks specifically confirming it for her.

She is listed as needing the ape boss mats. For stuff like this, Project Yatta is a good resource to reference character leak information based on the betas, since reddit posts eventually get buried.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

haypliss posted:

She is listed as needing the ape boss mats. For stuff like this, Project Yatta is a good resource to reference character leak information based on the betas, since reddit posts eventually get buried.

Thanks very much! I'll check that out.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I forgot Dan Chad was immenent tonight. Game really needs to pick up the story pace in particular a bit as well

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Hypocrisy posted:

luocha has a cool coffin that will eventually have a story payoff (I assume)

i don't know what else they are gonna say about dragon dan's backstory since they fumbled the reveal so hard. he does have horns though so that's an automatic pull

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

luocha has a cool coffin that will eventually have a story payoff (I assume)

i don't know what else they are gonna say about dragon dan's backstory since they fumbled the reveal so hard. he does have horns though so that's an automatic pull

To be fair, we still, as far as I know, have no idea why he got banished in the first place.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Not for sure but if you read all the books and item descriptions, ie not stuff I'm the main story, it's pretty clear. Dan Feng was part of the High Cloud Quintet and lovers of Yingxing (Blade). They are researching how to permanently kill an Abundance emanator. Baiheng, Jingliu's lover, was spying on them. Things go horribly wrong. Yingxing becomes Blade. Baiheng is killed. Dan Feng tries to bring Baiheng back to life, but fails, he can only reincarnate her as a vidyahara. Jingliu snaps, murdering Blade countless times and trying to kill Dan Feng because she had to kill the first several reincarnation of Baiheng because they were abominations. After Dan Feng undergoes the ritual that strips him of his powers, Baiheng reincarnates properly, as Bailu. Of five, three shall pay the price. The three are Dan Feng, Yingxing, and Jingliu.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hey, for those of you that play Genshin, I'm curious about how things work with rerun banners running concurrently with a new banner.

Do those also count as a character banner and thus work on the same pity as other stuff? If, for example, Seele comes back in 1.4 and runs concurrent with Topaz, would whatever I spent towards Fu Xuan the banner before be applicable for the Seele banner, or just Topaz?

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Eimi posted:

Not for sure but if you read all the books and item descriptions, ie not stuff I'm the main story, it's pretty clear. Dan Feng was part of the High Cloud Quintet and lovers of Yingxing (Blade). They are researching how to permanently kill an Abundance emanator. Baiheng, Jingliu's lover, was spying on them. Things go horribly wrong. Yingxing becomes Blade. Baiheng is killed. Dan Feng tries to bring Baiheng back to life, but fails, he can only reincarnate her as a vidyahara. Jingliu snaps, murdering Blade countless times and trying to kill Dan Feng because she had to kill the first several reincarnation of Baiheng because they were abominations. After Dan Feng undergoes the ritual that strips him of his powers, Baiheng reincarnates properly, as Bailu. Of five, three shall pay the price. The three are Dan Feng, Yingxing, and Jingliu.

it's as simple as that

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Hey, for those of you that play Genshin, I'm curious about how things work with rerun banners running concurrently with a new banner.

Do those also count as a character banner and thus work on the same pity as other stuff? If, for example, Seele comes back in 1.4 and runs concurrent with Topaz, would whatever I spent towards Fu Xuan the banner before be applicable for the Seele banner, or just Topaz?
Every single character banner shares the same pity count, yeah. There's no difference at all between a rerun and a first run.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eimi posted:

The way Genshin and this one bury a lot of their lore in various artifact and data log stories kind of reminds me of FFXIII, though Genshin/Honkais story and lore make more sense to me than those games ever will. You read the deep lore stuff for Hoyoverse stuff and at least it kind of makes soke sense in its own context but Fabula Nova Crystallis Saga Final Fantasy? Pffttty

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Eimi posted:

Do any of these people remember any of this? Why are they still alive and mostly(its a sliding scale) sane after being killed a bunch of times?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

they're still alive because Jingliu and Blade are both mara-struck - the gift of Abundance continuously heals and ressurects them at the cost of their sanity

Blade mostly "remembers" because Jingliu drilled the "3 must pay a price" mantra and mission into him during the thousands of times she killed him

Dan Heng only partially remembers because he (mostly) lost access to Dan Feng's memories

Jing Yuan remembers and lives because he's a long-lived species

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 29, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Eimi posted:

that's a lot of detail to leave out of the main story quests, but I think if they tried to cram all that in the already bad pacing would be even worse.

and they'd have no time for flashy cutscenes where General Hair gets to be cool.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

UHD posted:

that's a lot of detail to leave out of the main story quests, but I think if they tried to cram all that in the already bad pacing would be even worse.

and they'd have no time for flashy cutscenes where General Hair gets to be cool.

I think they needed to put some of it because as it stands the main story is nearly incomprehensible without this added context.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

UHD posted:

Also there's a crisis for most of the main story quests that reduces time for unrelated exposition. This stuff might be in the next MSQ stuff. Since they're showing the dragon heritage in trailers and Dan Feng/Dan Heng in chains.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I think they needed to put some of it because as it stands the main story is nearly incomprehensible without this added context.

It seemed pretty comprehensible to me. Dan Heng has some unspecified crime that led to his exile from this place. This is tied into some sort of history specifically with Blade. Blade wants Dan to remember his prior incarnation who actually performed the crime, and the Dragon People having cyclical reincarnation but no memories is explained which details just what is going on with Dan Heng not remembering his crime.

You don't need to know what the crime actually was, because it is unrelated to what is happening now. Which is Dan Heng is being tortured and punished and persecuted for the actions of someone who isn't him. Which is bullshit.

That's actually kind of part of the point, Dam Heng is not his prior incarnations, he doesn't want to remember his prior incarnations actions. He wants to be his own person and not persecuted for things he never even did. He only embraces the prior incarnation because it is the only way to save people.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 29, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Dan has a companion mission in 1.3, too.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Excelzior posted:

they're still alive because Jingliu and Blade are both mara-struck - the gift of Abundance continuously heals and ressurects them at the cost of their sanity

Blade mostly "remembers" because Jingliu drilled the "3 must pay a price" mantra and mission into him during the thousands of times she killed him

Dan Heng only partially remembers because he (mostly) lost access to Dan Feng's memories

Jing Yuan remembers and lives because he's a long-lived species

But Blade is supposed to be a regular human, right? How did he live long enough to even become Mara-struck?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Symphoric posted:

But Blade is supposed to be a regular human, right? How did he live long enough to even become Mara-struck?

Presumably whatever Dan Feng's crime was is related to this. Blade is immortal at this point and apparently impossible to kill as well.

Also short lived species can become Mara Struck it is just extremely rare (and it isn't actually outright related to the immortality gifted by the aeon of abundance since the Dragon People can get it and they're immortal due to being the children of the aeon of permanence. The Alchemists can even force people to become mara/stricken so it isn't even related to how long you live specifically.

Supposedly it's a madness caused by lacking the mental capacity for all the memories you gain over a long enough life and too many negative memories accumulated makes you become dangerous and mutate. Blade being killed 1000 times has left him with such an accumulation of negative memories that it has made him Mara-stricken (and Kafka being able to remove/suppress those memories with her verbal mind control is what keeps him sane being on the laofu is making him remember things she has already "removed").

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

You don't need to know what the crime actually was

For me the crime is important because it informs whether I should care that DH essentially "cheated" his sentence. He says he's not DF, but he has flashes of memory, and some sort of DF related superpower. Who is to say he won't continue to regain those memories? Who is to say this wasn't his intention to begin with? It's all very fuzzy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Symphoric posted:

The emanator they were trying to kill Shuhu. It's why he's not just long lived but immortal now. Whether it was a byproduct of the research, Yingxing striking a deal with him, Dan Feng loving things up isn't really clear. Shuhu is why the Ambrosial Arbor's roots are sealed and the Vidyahara lost access to it. Regaining their homeland was a big thing that Dan Feng wanted to achieve.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GoodluckJonathan posted:

For me the crime is important because it informs whether I should care that DH essentially "cheated" his sentence. He says he's not DF, but he has flashes of memory, and some sort of DF related superpower. Who is to say he won't continue to regain those memories? Who is to say this wasn't his intention to begin with? It's all very fuzzy.

Because he didn't cheat his sentence, he was imprisoned from birth for the crimes of Dan Feng after Dan Feng was executed for them, and then he was further exiled for them. Everything that has happened to Dan Heng for the crimes of his past self is bullshit.

You should care that Dan Heng could be killed for a crime he never committed, even if he remembers Dan Feng's actions they aren't the same person. Which is something all the Dragon People reiterate when you discuss their reincarnation process. The elders can choose to regain their memories through some process, but otherwise do not same as every other Vidyahara.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 29, 2023

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which is something all the Dragon People reiterate when you discuss their reincarnation process.

Sounds a bit too convenient!(I'm mostly joking). Perhaps I am just not anime-pilled enough to readily comprehend these events on first viewing. Thanks for the explanation.

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 29, 2023

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Sounds a bit too convenient!(I'm mostly joking)

It's actually really inconvenient, I did the quest for the Vidyahara man who is in love with another long lived species and she has dated his last 4 incarnations or something. Each of them loves her yes, but only because they hold onto a symbol of that love whilst reincarnating, and none of them know that they were the prior lover she had, so they're jealous of their past self's unique skills rather than embracing their own new ones unaware they hate their past self for stealing the love of their life from them. Said love also no longer can find joy in romance.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Luofu has a really good story told in the most baffling way possible, is what it comes down to. How invested you are in reading the ingame books and paying attention to the lore correlates with how much you'll like the Luofu story.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I depend on the kindness of strangers to read it all for me and nod along like I pretend to understand.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Luofu has a really good story told in the most baffling way possible, is what it comes down to. How invested you are in reading the ingame books and paying attention to the lore correlates with how much you'll like the Luofu story.

I feel like the main story works on its own, yeah you're left with a lot of detail questions but you get the overall major plot, and the side quests flesh out the details to inform the main story actions as far as general knowledge. The reading is only for really digging into the history of the situation rather then the here and now priorities.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FractalSandwich posted:

Every single character banner shares the same pity count, yeah. There's no difference at all between a rerun and a first run.

Okay, cool. I guess that makes me "do I spend a ten pull on DHIL and then spend guaranteed double pity on Fu, or do I spend a ten pull on Fu and then save guaranteed double pity for a Seele rerun" question easier, because at the end of the day I'd rather have Seele than DHIL.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Do the books explain why Phantyllia is a good villain and not just someone who shows up out of nowhere to eliminate all complexity in character motivations by turning it into "stop the evil destructo-villain who hates puppies and happiness"?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Eimi posted:

drat Jing Yuan was a real fifth wheel in that group huh

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

life's way too short to care this much about hidden gatcha game lore IMHO but it's nice it makes some goons so happy

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The 5 minute animated short from today was better dan heng character work than the whole quest line lol. Well hopefully his 1.3 stuff will be cool

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Clarste posted:

Do the books explain why Phantyllia is a good villain and not just someone who shows up out of nowhere to eliminate all complexity in character motivations by turning it into "stop the evil destructo-villain who hates puppies and happiness"?

The fight between the abundance and the hunt only serves destruction in the end and will continue to do so and as such a better solution must be found for people not absolutely locked into their beliefs like the Aeons are? Phantylia isn't complex because she was twisting a complex situation towards the only possible result if the Laofu continues its mad hunt and self-destructive hatred of the Abundance.

As far as thematic resonance (datamined stuff) The Trailblazer will help achieve harmony amongst the Laofu in some manner, ending their internal divide.

Basically all the complex motivations still exist because the situation that caused them is still around, Phantyllia was just a big thing for us to fight that resonates with the thematic point (the Laofu is destroying itself with the Hunt vs Abundance). Phantyllia was using an existing divide/situation/danger to destroy the Laofu until she could no longer wait and her plan was about to fail (because the Abundance Alchemists lost and directly asked for her help).

Edit: It is even outright said that she prefers to help societies destroy themselves via manipulating pre-existing conflicts to become ever more violent and harmful. Which requires a pre-existing conflict (Abundance vs Hunt and the way it has shaped the history of the Laofu) and even though Phantylia was stopped the existing conflict remains (and a new one has arisen, because Dan Heng is still exiled from the ship and broke that).

Edit 2: Phantylia would not have done what she did if the Abundance Alchemist leader hadn't hosed up and revealed she existed, said leader believing themselves to be in an equal mutual partnership/agreement, rather than the reality that Phantylia was using their existing strife with the Laofu Majority to make the conflict become terminal for their whole ship.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 29, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Clarste posted:

I assume she existed as she does for now primarily for the sake of streamers so they can do that sort of facile commentary they love to do with the :stonk: faces while proclaiming "Mommy flick me pls" and it all to be easily understood by the punditry and chats They probably also realized they were going to be really light on story stuff again with patch 1.2 and needed to give them something to talk about. Until theres more sort of story/exploration stuff Phantylia kind of feels like a bit of a distraction.

You can count me as one of the people thats surprised by how slow the story is moving through the first 6 or so months of the game.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Would you die if you couldn't post about how other people are being horny about something?

I think we're all aware it's in the calculus for games like this but it hardly seems relevant to the post you quoted or any discussion in here.

haypliss fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 29, 2023

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I didn't read any of the books and lore stuff and loved the story but I'm also a Xianxia genre fan which the
Luofu story effectively is.

So it's less anime-brained and more Chinese fantasy brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the anime-brained have to wait for Planet Japan when the story inexplicably turns into an isekai as the trailblazer is run over by a garbage truck