Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Stoop Kid posted:

I’m a decade out from passing, but I would take them hardest-first assuming that the expiration timer is still in effect once you pass an exam. In my day, that was FAR, then REG/AUD, then BEC. I used Becker, and I would just grind multiple choice test banks from prior exams. I actually saw several of those old questions appear on the exam, and got free points as a result. You’re not stupid, but it is a grind.

I used Gleim rather than Becker cause Becker is insanely more expensive. Most CPAs will tell you that they just did multiple choice questions until their eyes bled, so they are all pulling from the same prior test questions. If you really love watching videos then Becker is for you, I didn't find it helpful (I used Becker my first run when my firm paid for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Good to know about Gleim. I’ve been told to take AUD or BEC if I can before January when new versions roll out. I guess AUD won’t cover as many topics but will be more in depth whereas BEC is completely changing.

My work will reimburse me but only once I have the cpa certificate so I’d rather not dole out $2k right away.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

3 months unemployed. I can’t catch a break why can't I get anything in socal? I had to take 3 days off anything just so I can stop breaking down over my inability to advance my career.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

3 months unemployed. I can’t catch a break why can't I get anything in socal? I had to take 3 days off anything just so I can stop breaking down over my inability to advance my career.

Same but Denver. Solidarity :smith:

What scares me now is taking a position that ends up being a mistake on account of just needing to work. I’m staying optimistic that I’ll find something cool and/or a cool team to work with.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

Same but Denver. Solidarity :smith:

What scares me now is taking a position that ends up being a mistake on account of just needing to work. I’m staying optimistic that I’ll find something cool and/or a cool team to work with.

I believe you can make it. And get the cozy job where you can do things like shitpost on something awful on one hand and filing out audits in the other, or whatever you're specializing in.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

I believe you can make it. And get the cozy job where you can do things like shitpost on something awful on one hand and filing out audits in the other, or whatever you're specializing in.

Likewise! Cushy cozy would be nice but interesting is better. If anyone needs an accountant who can program hmu

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

19 o'clock posted:

Likewise! Cushy cozy would be nice but interesting is better. If anyone needs an accountant who can program hmu

If you know SQL and teach yourself PowerBI someone will hire you.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Azrial posted:

If you know SQL and teach yourself PowerBI someone will hire you.

Funny that this is on the to-do list. Power BI dashboards are just so boring (to me) that I’d sooner start working on my CISA.

…but also PowerBI is pretty so that’s what people want :smith:

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Aug 6, 2023

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
ugh. 4 rounds and didn't make it. woof.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Well, I can officially post this good news. Took me forever to log in, but: I have successfully passed CPA's Common Final Exam.

All I need now is to get my experience verified, but for now I'm going to solicit recommendations on something that requires me to call an LCBO employee with a key.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

mojo1701a posted:

Well, I can officially post this good news. Took me forever to log in, but: I have successfully passed CPA's Common Final Exam.

All I need now is to get my experience verified, but for now I'm going to solicit recommendations on something that requires me to call an LCBO employee with a key.

Congratulations on making it mate

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats my guy!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

19 o'clock posted:

ugh. 4 rounds and didn't make it. woof.

Sorry to hear that mate :(

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Annointed posted:

Congratulations on making it mate

Hellblazer187 posted:

Congrats my guy!

Thanks! The real challenge now (other than getting the experience requirement, which will mean a new job) is getting a raise from the new partner. I figure I should push for one since a) I'm due for a COL increase, b) I'm being asked to work in a higher COL area, c) a number of clients are coming because of me, d) he needs someone experienced like me, and e) there's more responsibility. I was looking at modest 1br basement apartments in the GTA (well, Mississauga) and they're... 50% more than my previous 1br apartment that I moved out of in 2020.

I need to start making other contacts in the industry so I can get a better idea for what I can get salary-wise. Maybe I'll start doing some basic reading on US taxes or something, since I don't need to actually study for now.

On the plus side, my new office is nicer, slightly larger, and carpeted! Just needs art and a proper coffee setup.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

mojo1701a posted:

Congrats!

Annointed posted:

Sorry to hear that mate :(

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Anyone who understands VAT able to help me figure out a clients responsibility regarding it? US company selling merch into the EU and UK. Selling through their own website, not Amazon/Etsy/etc to my knowledge, using Squarespace for the payment processing, and Printful for fulfillment and shipping. Prinful has fulfillment locations in the UK, Spain & Latvia. I'm pretty sure all of that means they do have to register and they can use the One Stop Shop system.

Am I correct? If I am, how do they actually register and file returns?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

More and more job rejections.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Annointed posted:

Been there; it's a soul-crushing experience that it took me years to get over (if I'm actually truly over it; I'm not so sure).

I liken it to rep grinding in an MMO, except you can't see how much each application/interview is worth and you can't see the progress bar.

Just know that EVENTUALLY, if you keep at it, you'll get that call that signifies that you finally finished the grind :unsmith:

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

Zarin posted:

Been there; it's a soul-crushing experience that it took me years to get over (if I'm actually truly over it; I'm not so sure).

I liken it to rep grinding in an MMO, except you can't see how much each application/interview is worth and you can't see the progress bar.

Just know that EVENTUALLY, if you keep at it, you'll get that call that signifies that you finally finished the grind :unsmith:

Yeah but what about the part where the grind finishes, and then you enter into a lovely role and then the grind keeps going :(

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

Yeah but what about the part where the grind finishes, and then you enter into a lovely role and then the grind keeps going :(

Oh, that's easy - alcoholism will hold our hands through that one.

Same as it ever was.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

Stay on it! I’ve just recently started to have better luck after…too long applying. I think I finally got my interview sales pitch down after a lot of failed attempts. It’s brutal and exhausting.

At it’s core I think it’s just a numbers game. A demoralizing numbers game.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I GOT STAFFF ACCOUNTANT JOB FOR HOTEL INDUSTRY

I CAN FINALLY NOT BE POOR

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Annointed posted:

Congratulations

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

pseudanonymous posted:

Congratulations

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Congrats!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That's great!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Annointed posted:

Congratulations!

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

congrats woooo!!!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Currently waiting out the background check. Hopefully it all goes well. Any tips regarding hotel accounting? Or same as any other industry?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Congratulations on the job! I don’t know anything about hotel accounting but I expect they’re fine with you learning on the job.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Annointed posted:

Currently waiting out the background check. Hopefully it all goes well. Any tips regarding hotel accounting? Or same as any other industry?

I’d assume it’s somewhat easy, depending on the size of the hotel (chain?) you’re working for, at least compared to industries that have significant inventory and manufacturing? If it’s megabig or upscale I’d think the bigger issues would be accounting for construction in progress and maybe revrec on events like weddings/conventions? If it’s that big they probably don’t have staff accountants handling those aspects though.

Like any entry level accounting it’s probably more important to come in with a good attitude and be ready to improve on whatever excel skills you have or learn their proprietary systems that’s most important.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Good Citizen posted:

I’d assume it’s somewhat easy, depending on the size of the hotel (chain?) you’re working for, at least compared to industries that have significant inventory and manufacturing? If it’s megabig or upscale I’d think the bigger issues would be accounting for construction in progress and maybe revrec on events like weddings/conventions? If it’s that big they probably don’t have staff accountants handling those aspects though.

Like any entry level accounting it’s probably more important to come in with a good attitude and be ready to improve on whatever excel skills you have or learn their proprietary systems that’s most important.

How they book revenue is probably tricky with reservations and 3rd party sites. They’re also probably figuring out ways to capitalize and depreciate stuff and make it not “furnishings”.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Annointed posted:

Oddly enough about half of my career is in hotel, resort, and timeshare accounting. It’s great because there’s a lot of variety. Food and beverage outlets, conference space, different ownership structures, and long-term planning for major replacements (roofs, boilers, carpet, etc). Wholesale billing for online booking sites wasn’t too terrible besides different billing protocols that have probably gotten easier since I left the industry. You’ll get exposed to different POS (point of sale), HMS (hospitality management systems), and of course your core accounting ERP (enterprise resource planning) system.

I don’t think I have many tips necessary besides be pleasant to work with. That goes for any accounting job, though. People are afraid of accountants so if we’re nice they’re less afraid to tell you when something is wrong. Hospitality is great because you can network and grow into different roles if you like.

You have access to hotel rooms which our resort would trade with other hotels. Want to go on a vacation somewhere? Your hotel might be able to trade some room nights to a hotel in the area for you. Gives you a place to stay and your hotel sales staff get to do their networking thing.

Good Citizen posted:

This.

Our hotel had Crystal Reports running on its HMS that nobody knew how to use when I arrived. I became the in-house expert on that and it greatly expanded my horizons. If you can, check out different ways to extract information from the various systems. This can be for Excel extracts to make your life easier or bespoke group booking and billing reports for other departments (sales, conference billing, etc.). I helped our group biller by writing reports that showed all the different room rates across group reservations to help them catch incorrect rates. Sometimes we had people getting billed zero rates due to a reservation glitch that we had missed previously.

Having food and beverage on campus was great. Banquets always had extra food.

19 o'clock fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 14, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Currently making it through the week. Learning the new invoice software, cash counting and how to do check runs. So far nothing seems entirely outside what I learned in school. Hopefully I can keep training and do good!

EDIT: Finished Check Run. Dang am I making far too many typos. Thankfully the controller and accountants were able to tell me out to make revisions to fix things.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 22, 2023

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Debits on the left
Credits on the right

Boom. Done.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

19 o'clock posted:

Debits on the left
Credits on the right

Boom. Done.

Receiving cash is always a debit, substitute cash into any transaction for the cash equivalent. If you can learn that you are better than pretty much most accountants and accounting students.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Something strange is happening. After years in the “eh close enough” operational reporting world, I’m getting the itch to get back into the land of debits and credits. Someone talk me out of it. Or hype up your accounting role if you want.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Democratic Pirate posted:

Something strange is happening. After years in the “eh close enough” operational reporting world, I’m getting the itch to get back into the land of debits and credits. Someone talk me out of it. Or hype up your accounting role if you want.

Do some FAR practice exams or something to get this sick impulse out of your system

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Democratic Pirate posted:

Don't? You got out, stay out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I is very slow atm in accounting and cash counting. Need to speed up and increase accuracy.