Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

the ashes is a weird one because people here get really worked up about it and test cricket is a very acceptable working class sport but the only poms that seem to care about it are the worst inbred private school fuckheads

Thank you for leading me to this wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_names_for_the_British

Les goddams is an early favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The indian guys and girls in my area loving love cricket. They've made ersatz cricket pitches in several public parks and when it's cricket day watch the gently caress out, it's basically a gigantic party. It rules.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a mutual sports rivalry. Everyone's willing to be enemies on the day of a game, but it seems like for every sports rivalry you get one side building themselves up for the match, and the other either doesn't care or is busy focused on their own one-sided rivalry.

There definitely are some out there, but I think it requires the two teams to be on roughly even footing, and for there to be few other genuine competitors. For example, Rangers and Celtic in Scotland, where they’re the top two teams in the country and nobody else has won the league in 40 years. Add to that their being in the same city and both clubs deep historical ties to Protestant and Catholic sectarianism and you’ve got one of the most bitter mutual rivalries in European football.

Which is not to say they’re the only one!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Snowy posted:

Thank you for leading me to this wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_names_for_the_British

Les goddams is an early favorite

I prefer seppo to yank tbh, Australia has some good ones

I ain’t no goddam yankee

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a mutual sports rivalry. Everyone's willing to be enemies on the day of a game, but it seems like for every sports rivalry you get one side building themselves up for the match, and the other either doesn't care or is busy focused on their own one-sided rivalry.

Michigan and Ohio State is intensely mutual, but they're geographically very close so it didn't come up in response to the OP.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Michigan and Ohio State is intensely mutual, but they're geographically very close so it didn't come up in response to the OP.

Alabama-Auburn, Oklahoma-Texas, Florida-Florida State also come to mind.

USC-Notre Dame is also supposed to be a big rivalry (have played annually since 1926 excepting a few years due to World War II), the schools are over 2,000 miles apart from one another. I don't honestly know how intense that rivalry is, though, since it's nonconference.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Derbies like Old Firm can have intensive mutual rivalry. Or otherwise big matches of season between great historical teams like el Clasico.

One way to know that "real" rivalries exist is that that there's also a term for more manufactured rivalry where league's PR people are hyping up feeling that doesn't exist: 'el Plastico'. People wouldn't have come up with a term for fake rivalries if real ones didn't exist to give contrast.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Alabama-Auburn, Oklahoma-Texas, Florida-Florida State also come to mind.

USC-Notre Dame is also supposed to be a big rivalry (have played annually since 1926 excepting a few years due to World War II), the schools are over 2,000 miles apart from one another. I don't honestly know how intense that rivalry is, though, since it's nonconference.

Texas-A&M is too (after being briefly suspended because we weren’t in the same conference)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Badger of Basra posted:

Texas-A&M is too (after being briefly suspended because we weren’t in the same conference)

That's more one-sided than the Aggies like to admit. They put upside-down Longhorn logos on their trucks and shout about sawing 'em off, and meanwhile UT kind of shrugs and goes back to glaring across the Red River at OU.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

No as a longhorn I can assure you we definitely do not like the aggies

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

No as a longhorn I can assure you we definitely do not like the aggies

But is that a sports rivalry thing or just the fact that most humans do not like the aggies?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I walked on the grass there once OWNED

Does Texas care about Texas Tech* cuz the semester and change I went there we really cared. And UT owned us hard. After the game we went to the Chinese buffet still in Tech gear and there was a sea of burnt orange making it look like an occupation

*miserable place btw never go to Lubbock

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

In international football, Ghana-Uruguay* is a pretty recent but a very intense and memorable one, and they sit on opposite sides of the Atlantic, so that's pretty far.

* At the World Cup of 2010, Uruguayan master of shithousery Luis Suarez denied a last-ditch Ghana strike with his hand in the QF (he was sent off the pitch for it), causing the game to go to penalties with Uruguay winning. The two teams faced each other again in the 2022 World Cup in the first round. Predictably all involved said they would play nice but it was a slugfest almost immediately. Uruguay won again but neither team advanced to the Round of 16 so Ghana felt they were the moral victors lol.

e: In recent years you might also add Switzerland-Serbia to the list.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Serbia vs. any neighboring country tbh
And also vs. most of the neighboring-once-removed countries

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

But is that a sports rivalry thing or just the fact that most humans do not like the aggies?

when UT joins the SEC and plays them regularly it'll fire back up again but yeah for the last two decades most UT people see OU as enemy number one.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I walked on the grass there once OWNED

Does Texas care about Texas Tech* cuz the semester and change I went there we really cared. And UT owned us hard. After the game we went to the Chinese buffet still in Tech gear and there was a sea of burnt orange making it look like an occupation

*miserable place btw never go to Lubbock

UT and TT is also a very one sided "for me it was a Tuesday" relationship except for one goddamn sideline tiptoe fifteen years ago

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 28, 2023

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

When A&M left the Big 12 they switched the hex rally from A&M to TCU and I think they should leave it that way because it’s actually a lot funnier for the woke lib longhorns to cast a hex on Texas Christian University

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Pope Hilarius II posted:

In international football, Ghana-Uruguay* is a pretty recent but a very intense and memorable one, and they sit on opposite sides of the Atlantic, so that's pretty far.

* At the World Cup of 2010, Uruguayan master of shithousery Luis Suarez denied a last-ditch Ghana strike with his hand in the QF (he was sent off the pitch for it), causing the game to go to penalties with Uruguay winning. The two teams faced each other again in the 2022 World Cup in the first round. Predictably all involved said they would play nice but it was a slugfest almost immediately. Uruguay won again but neither team advanced to the Round of 16 so Ghana felt they were the moral victors lol.

e: In recent years you might also add Switzerland-Serbia to the list.

No one in Switzerland cares about Serbia, except obviously the like 5% of recent immigrants who are Balkan. Only football hooliganism I've ever seen or heard of here is when Young Boys play FC Zurich, but I don't care about football so I don't really know how serious it is, other than that it is the only time I have ever seen police on horseback in city streets in Switzerland, and it is a day I avoid going anywhere remotely close to the stadium.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Saladman posted:

Only football hooliganism I've ever seen or heard of here is when Young Boys play FC Zurich, but I don't care about football so I don't really know how serious it is, other than that it is the only time I have ever seen police on horseback in city streets in Switzerland, and it is a day I avoid going anywhere remotely close to the stadium.

you forgot FC Basel which unfortunately seems to have the biggest hool following

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
I hope that Young Boys will never again end up in the same group as Juventus (nicknamed the Old Lady for non-football watching friends) in euro games. That moment the draw was announced and every commentator and talking head realized what had happened..........the puns man, the stupid loving endless puns..

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I prefer seppo to yank tbh, Australia has some good ones

I ain’t no goddam yankee

i dont know if you are taking the piss or not but if you arent i have some bad news for you wrt what seppo is short for

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i dont know if you are taking the piss or not but if you arent i have some bad news for you wrt what seppo is short for

Although a portable seppo is ideal for taking piss somewhere...

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

wakka wakka posted:

Although a portable seppo is ideal for taking piss somewhere...

in order to not offend the sensibilities of the delicate southerners i suggest that we call americans 'piss jugs'

wakka wakka
Oct 9, 2004

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

in order to not offend the sensibilities of the delicate southerners i suggest that we call americans 'piss jugs'

I'm not a medical doctor but I'm fairly confident pee is not stored in the "jugs"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Glah posted:

I hope that Young Boys will never again end up in the same group as Juventus (nicknamed the Old Lady for non-football watching friends) in euro games. That moment the draw was announced and every commentator and talking head realized what had happened..........the puns man, the stupid loving endless puns..

I still laugh when I pass the Young Boys stadium in Wankdorf.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

wakka wakka posted:

I'm not a medical doctor but I'm fairly confident pee is not stored in the "jugs"

Maybe he's Canadian

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Saladman posted:

I still laugh when I pass the Young Boys stadium in Wankdorf.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I wonder if the school sells merch
Wouldn't mind a "Young Boys Wankdorf Grundschule" sweater

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I am poo poo, but I ain't a god drat yankee.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Byzantine posted:

You are if you live north of the Rio Grande

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think Yank(ee) should even count as a slur. It just means you're an American, and specifically from by far the coolest part of the USA, namely New England. I just imagine some homesteading, log cabin-building, abolitionist badass whose ancestors came over in the 1600s because they felt their insane Protestant sect was being repressed in the Old World. Basically John Brown. I think I'd be proud to be called a Yankee if I were American.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Byzantine posted:

This but unironically

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think Yank(ee) should even count as a slur. It just means you're an American, and specifically from by far the coolest part of the USA, namely New England. I just imagine some homesteading, log cabin-building, abolitionist badass whose ancestors came over in the 1600s because they felt their insane Protestant sect was being repressed in the Old World. Basically John Brown. I think I'd be proud to be called a Yankee if I were American.

Lol at wanting to be a puritan nationalist fanatic (who did own slaves for a long time while this city was already an abolitionist and multicultural bastion with four languages and three religions) instead of being in the city with the best food and music in these United States

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 29, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

the only correct yankees are from connecticut our pennamite forfather didnt die to be called a drat yankee

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Lol at wanting to be a puritan nationalist fanatic (who did own slaves for a long time while this city was already an abolitionist and multicultural bastion with four languages and three religions) instead of being in the city with the best food and music in these United States

I'm not sure which city you're talking about. New Orleans?

If what I said bothered you, don't worry, most other Europeans think the US is basically like The Dukes of Hazzard instead

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There were a few attempts at creating another name for Americans back in the day, but none of them stuck.

Wikipedia posted:

Writer H. L. Mencken collected a number of proposals from between 1789 and 1939, finding terms including Columbian, Columbard, Fredonian, Frede, Unisian, United Statesian, Colonican, Appalacian, Usian, Washingtonian, Usonian, Uessian, U-S-ian, Uesican, and United Stater.[22] Names for broader categories include terms such as Western Hemispherian, New Worlder, and North Atlantican.

Fredonia actually got a number of small towns and a couple would-be attempts at new nations. Columbia was fairly popular for a while before Colombia took it.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's short for septic tank which is cockney rhyming slang for yank.

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

the only correct yankees are from connecticut our pennamite forfather didnt die to be called a drat yankee

Wrong, yankees are mainers who eat pie for breakfast.

Phlegmish posted:

If what I said bothered you, don't worry, most other Europeans think the US is basically like The Dukes of Hazzard instead

Usually that's associated with a different America.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Wrong, yankees are mainers who eat pie for breakfast.

:wiggle:

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think Yank(ee) should even count as a slur. It just means you're an American, and specifically from by far the coolest part of the USA, namely New England.

A reminder that Yankee comes from the Dutch Janke (Little John) or Jan Kees (dialect version of Jan Kaas, meaning John Cheese) and originally referred specifically to settlers in New Amsterdam.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Giants/Dodgers in baseball is mutual, and goes back at least the late 1800s:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodgers%E2%80%93Giants_rivalry

Even followed as they moved West! A fun one since it started as a cross town rivalry and is now cross-state.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The map:territory understander has logged on!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*jorp watching a weather forecast* psh raindrops arent that big

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ffj8SHrbk0