Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

mdemone posted:

WALLET....?

FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH WALLET NOW *CELLAR* IS MY BEST FRIEND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are these dudes playoff eligible if someone claims them

As long as they're on the roster by September 1.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Moore and Lopez have been pretty good in relief, not sure what putting them on waivers is for. Giolito has been horrible as an Angel. Grichuk has been atrocious as an Angel and Renfroe was ice cold in the month of August but had otherwise been a solid corner outfield bat.

It is pretty drat impressive that all of the players the Angels acquired at least made sense and seemed like reasonable moves and none of them worked out. Fans have liked Moose because all of his home runs have had clutch timing and because he is not Anthony Rendon. This is at least giving major league guys a chance to make a playoff roster with another org, it is less cruel than making them play meaningless September baseball games with the Angels.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Good Dog posted:

Anthony Rendon.

God drat IT

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Extremely unfair to the AL East wild card hopefuls that GOMS, Texas and Houston will have two Oaklands to pulverize for the next ~200 regular season games

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Are these dudes playoff eligible if someone claims them

As long as they're added before Friday, yeah.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1696632481099755613?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

Double posting but holy poo poo the Angels waived everyone they got at the deadline lmao

quote:

If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference.

idk how tiebreakers work because the Twins are tied with Boston right now but if Moore ends up on any team but Cleveland or Boston that isn't the Twins I swear to god I will make a post complaining about it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Holy poo poo, I don't think I've ever seen a team publicly give up like that. Mike you uh, want to grab one of those relievers, maybe?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

mdemone posted:

WALLET....?

lol. lmao

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Artix posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't think I've ever seen a team publicly give up like that. Mike you uh, want to grab one of those relievers, maybe?

I think once the orioles call up Means they won’t have any pitching spots left… maybe 1?
Either way I’m guessing every reliever will get picked up before they have a chance

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

important Twins update

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1696631771125678091

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Can the cubs get any pitcher?

Plz let a pitcher show up be better than loving Taillon.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

IcePhoenix posted:

idk how tiebreakers work because the Twins are tied with Boston right now but if Moore ends up on any team but Cleveland or Boston that isn't the Twins I swear to god I will make a post complaining about it.

Please for the love of god let the Guardians pick up Matt Moore. We could use someone new in the pen to be hopeful about.

Anyway this sucks and I'm sorry to Angels that Arte Moreno is such a loving skinflint.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

IcePhoenix posted:

From MLB.com:

quote:

Claiming priority is based on reverse winning percentage. So, if a player is placed on outright waivers by a club, the 29 other teams will each get a chance to claim a player, starting with the MLB team with the worst record. In the case of a tiebreaker when two or more claiming clubs are tied with the lowest percentage of games won, the Commissioner or the Commissioner’s designee would award the player to the tied club that is in the same league as the club making the waiver request. If the tied clubs are in the same league, then the tied club with the lower percentage of games won at the close of the prior championship season, without regard to postseason results, would be awarded the player. A previous version of the rules gave priority based on the league of the team waiving the player, with NL teams getting priority for NL players, and AL for AL, but that is no longer the case. If a club has already previously claimed a player on outright waivers in a given year, the club’s claiming priority will be moved to last among the 30 clubs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd guess a lot of teams are just going to let everybody pass waivers and hope they can pick up their targets as free agents on the league minimum. There's 30 games left which means picking a guy up off waivers puts that team on the hook for 18.5% of their outstanding contract this year. Like the difference between claiming Giolito off waivers vs signing him to the pro-rated league minimum is ~$2M vs ~$130K which isn't insignificant for teams near the tax.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

my morning jackass posted:

I think once the orioles call up Means they won’t have any pitching spots left… maybe 1?
Either way I’m guessing every reliever will get picked up before they have a chance

Oh they definitely won't last that long, honestly I doubt anyone gets far enough that we could theoretically claim them. Lopez would look real nice in an O's uniform though.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Sydin posted:

I'd guess a lot of teams are just going to let everybody pass waivers and hope they can pick up their targets as free agents on the league minimum. There's 30 games left which means picking a guy up off waivers puts that team on the hook for 18.5% of their outstanding contract this year. Like the difference between claiming Giolito off waivers vs signing him to the pro-rated league minimum is ~$2M vs ~$130K which isn't insignificant for teams near the tax.

That'd be a lot of assumptions, since they'd have to clear waivers, actually be released, and then you'd need to sign them before Friday. Given that releasing them isn't much of a salary dump, I'm not sure they'd be released if they cleared the waivers to begin with.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ah, the Rangers knew this was coming and intentionally lost a bunch of games to steal waiver wire players out from under the Mariners.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sydin posted:

Also, players generally can just reject being assigned anywhere. They don't want to go if they have more than either three or five years of service time I forget which

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

On July 31, the Angels were 56-51 with a 20% chance to make the playoffs

A week later they were 56-58 with a 1% chance for the playoffs

Lmao

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
What the hell lol

Who's getting called up, half the team is still on the IL

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

you're not gonna believe this but this doesn't answer the question (they had the same record last year)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wonder if Arte though the waiver trade deadline was still in effect

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I wonder if Arte though the waiver trade deadline was still in effect

This would end up like a Jordan Montgomery situation last year. IE, hilarious.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/baseballdoesnt/status/1696642304587514014?s=46&t=A_iY-gupVf13dcIJPetZhQ

The Los Angeles Angels of Thesus

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So it was just pointed out to me that the Angels are only a couple million over the tax so this is absolutely a last ditch scheme by Arte to get under the threshold even if it absolutely mothballs the season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'd love to see the Astros take a flyer on Giolito but I can't imagine he makes it to them

Can't be worse than Javier

e: Moreno will show new depths of depravity by waiving Ohtani on September 2nd

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 29, 2023

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

On July 31, the Angels were 56-51 with a 20% chance to make the playoffs

A week later they were 56-58 with a 1% chance for the playoffs

Lmao

turns out a series vs the tigers isnt exactly a great heat check

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sydin posted:

So it was just pointed out to me that the Angels are only a couple million over the tax so this is absolutely a last ditch scheme by Arte to get under the threshold even if it absolutely mothballs the season.

Yep that's what I'm hearing. Season is shot anyway, and it could save a useful amount of money. So I'm not that mad EXCEPT IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY THEN loving CUT ANTHONY "SHITHEAD" RENDON

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I literally bitched to two different people today about Rendon, I can't stop thinking about the thieving motherfucker

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mdemone posted:

Yep that's what I'm hearing. Season is shot anyway, and it could save a useful amount of money. So I'm not that mad EXCEPT IF YOU WANT TO SAVE MONEY THEN loving CUT ANTHONY "SHITHEAD" RENDON

That doesn't save them money, mlb contracts are guaranteed.

The real reason to get under the tax is that it gets them a better comp pick (2nd vs 4th round iirc) if Ohtani signs somewhere else as a free agent

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Season was pretty well mothballed already but this just cuts the heart out of your team and fan base

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

mdemone posted:

Nobody would claim him and releasing him doesn't save any money (unless someone signs him, in which case it saves the minimum salary).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

mdemone posted:

They only save money if a team picked Rendon off waivers (zero teams are doing this, he's owed almost $120M in outstanding salary and has been nowhere close to worth it for a while now) or whatever portion of the pro-rated minimum a team paid to bring him in (nobody's doing that this year with him hurt, so it doesn't help with tax issues. Somebody would probably take a flier on him next season which would save the Angels $720K in 2024).

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

drat, this is actually worse than the Guardians.

C: Zunino (DFA'd)
1B: Josh Bell (Traded to Miami), Josh Naylor (IL)
2B: Gimenez
SS: Rosario (Traded to Dodgers)
3B: Ramirez
OF: Straw, Kwan, Brennan, Gonzalez (played 50 games)

Though it's worse if you look at pitchers.

Bieber: IL
Quantrill: Just NOW coming off IL
Civale: Traded
Plesac: DFA'd
Gaddis: Sent to the minors at the start of June, only just got called back up last week to fill a rotation hole in the schedule.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/eboland11/status/1696643863916462498?s=46&t=EhzTvpa5Lh8bIAryRijIPQ

I liked Bader but with these kids coming up this is the right move

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

That doesn't save them money, mlb contracts are guaranteed.

The real reason to get under the tax is that it gets them a better comp pick (2nd vs 4th round iirc) if Ohtani signs somewhere else as a free agent

But if the guys get signed the other team pays the last month of their salary.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

IcePhoenix posted:

you're not gonna believe this but this doesn't answer the question (they had the same record last year)

:laffo:

I mainly went to check if the league priority was still in effect (which it was whenever the bit you quoted was written) and found that it is indeed no longer a thing except as a tiebreaker. I would assume they'd go back to the previous previous season as the next tiebreaker as that is usually how that sort of tiebreaker works, but you know what they say about assuming.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

That Montgomery trade is looking better by the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gorman Thomas posted:

What the hell lol

Who's getting called up, half the team is still on the IL

They're starting to get back; at least O'Hoppe and Drury are healthy again. Neto probably could return if he needed to but I bet they will shut him down.