Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have no idea why the character art looks like this because hirai's art has never looked like this

Endorph fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

that's a baby in an adult costume and you can't convince me otherwise

yes that is literally a child dressed as an adult

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

If he's a child, how did he go to the stock market to do a business?

Checkmate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

If he's a child, how did he go to the stock market to do a business?

Checkmate.

Handkerchief over the receiver and a fired music teacher, bing bang boom you're a fortune 500

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I refuse to believe Hisashi Hirai isn't taking the piss. Nobody could draw those proportions and seriously think they look good.

Warmachine posted:

This movie is going to be awful top to bottom, and still make an inexplicable amount of money because it's Seed, isn't it?

The relevant question is less "Will it make money?" (it will, Gundam has fans who will watch it even if they don't like CE and nostalgia sells) but "How well will the kits sell" (Which is up in the air given DESTINY's alleged model sales shortfalls) "What will its legacy be?" (SEED and DESTINY left a strange, inconsistent footprint on the franchise)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
These last few months have been an odd time watching Gundam news at least in my eyes. I hesitate to call it back to "business as usual" but I still can't shake the whiplash going from G Witch back to another One Year War story about a Zaku fighting prototype Gundam no.3784050 and a SEED sequel emerging from production hell like the angry ghost of early 2000s digi-paint.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wasn't it kinda similar to what happened after IBO ended? It was, uh, Doan's Island, the Unicorn TV show, and I think something else UC-related?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
"New TV AU" is just part of the usual cycle alongside UC OVA/ONA/film and anniversary projects (SEED movie), yeah. Witch had its weird circumstances but outside of that this slate of releases shouldn't be odd.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I have no interest in this movie or watching the show but good to know my instincts were correct

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Azran posted:

Wasn't it kinda similar to what happened after IBO ended? It was, uh, Doan's Island, the Unicorn TV show, and I think something else UC-related?

Doan's Island came out last year and Re:0096 was between seasons of IBO.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It might just be the covid disruptions that make this feel so abrupt to me since it put a halt on Hathaway 2 and likely a lot of other projects as well. The 2015-2019 stretch was pretty jam packed with shows, movies and OVAs and I'm pretty sure a few of them overlapped with each other so it felt like there was a variety of things to watch. Meanwhile GWitch and Doan's Island are really the only new things for 2022 and I didn't get to watch the latter until this year because it's a movie.

Hopefully Hathaway 2 is back on track again.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 29, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gripweed posted:

You guys need to rewatch Seed, it's not bad. It's nowhere near as bad as you guys have built up in your heads.

Yeah I watched it again last year after not seeing it since release and it wasn't as terrible as I was thinking. It's not awesome or anything, militantly bland and kind of hamfisted on plot devices I guess.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

You guys need to rewatch Seed, it's not bad. It's nowhere near as bad as you guys have built up in your heads.

I don't, actually. Seed was Fine(tm). And I'm generally part of the crowd banging on what Destiny could have been when the thread has it's annual, "Destiny was wasted potential" discussion. But I don't think it was good enough to justify it's still-extant fandom. Seed specifically was middling, but it didn't do anything offensively wrong, and was honestly awesome to high school me. It's just that once I got exposed to the rest of the franchise, and also another 20 years have passed, it's very clear Seed is way more popular than its quality suggests it should be.

But I also might just be barking at smoke, and Seed's legacy is all in my head.

Omnicrom posted:

I refuse to believe Hisashi Hirai isn't taking the piss. Nobody could draw those proportions and seriously think they look good.

The relevant question is less "Will it make money?" (it will, Gundam has fans who will watch it even if they don't like CE and nostalgia sells) but "How well will the kits sell" (Which is up in the air given DESTINY's alleged model sales shortfalls) "What will its legacy be?" (SEED and DESTINY left a strange, inconsistent footprint on the franchise)

I remember the model sales being disappointing, but I thought at least the headline suits (Strike Freedom and Infinite Justice) still sold well compared to other series suits. Strike Freedom clearly enough to warrant that new MGEX. It's just that the rest of the pack was "Zakus and Goufs with 2000s aesthetics," and some honestly forgettable Earth Alliance designs. Chaos, Gaia, and Abyss were just kinda whatever. Gaia is the only one that stands out. (What people actually wanted was the HGGTO and Doan's Island style One Year War kits since the old designs were great, and just needed a little more detailing to make them pop next to newer designs.)

I will say that Savior and Murasame were some of the best transforming designs Gundam has ever produced, by the metric "these were clearly designed to generate lift in some way and pay token deference to aerodynamics." I'd absolutely buy an HG of each today.

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait really? The Unicorn TV cut was before IBO S2?

Good god my memory is going faster than I thought.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gaius said it first, but

What the gently caress

Who approved that

WHAT THE gently caress WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO US

I totally agree with warmachine - SEED's level of popularity does not match its actual quality or contributions to the franchise. That it's had such lasting power remains a bit mysterious to me as well

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Cosmic Era is the Sword Art Online of Gundam.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
man looks like an old umineko sprite. and if you dont like that, i dont know what to tell you

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
How dumb do you all think the new suit names are going to be? I'm hoping for Personal Freedom and Social Justice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ojjeorago posted:

How dumb do you all think the new suit names are going to be? I'm hoping for Personal Freedom and Social Justice.

Gundam Accountability

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is going to be Freedom Gundam SIN and Justice Gundam Saga

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kira will go evil and pilot the Enslavement Gundam.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Waffleman_ posted:

:psyduck: time has become meaningless, holy hell

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SEED's contribution to the franchise is "the Gundam franchise was commercially revitalized after a multi-year slow fade through the mid to late 90s and exists in its current form because of that", which is a pretty big contribution.

It's easy to imagine a timeline where SEED never happened and Gundam kind of faded away, maybe becoming like Macross where there's a new series or major project every 5-10 years.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

SEED's contribution to the franchise is "the Gundam franchise was commercially revitalized after a multi-year slow fade through the mid to late 90s and exists in its current form because of that", which is a pretty big contribution.

It's easy to imagine a timeline where SEED never happened and Gundam kind of faded away, maybe becoming like Macross where there's a new series or major project every 5-10 years.

That sounds much better

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

That sounds much better

All of those projects would have been UC projects, because the legacy of the 90s was "the AU well ran dry". It would be stuff like Origin and Unicorn and Narrative, forever.

I really, really doubt you'd have gotten stuff like IBO or G-Reco or G-Witch.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 30, 2023

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Don’t engage with Gaius

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

All of those projects would have been UC projects, because the legacy of the 90s was "the AU well ran dry". It would be stuff like Origin and Unicorn and Narrative, forever.

I really, really doubt you'd have gotten stuff like IBO or G-Reco or G-Witch.

It's a mixed bag. I'm pretty thoroughly convinced at this point that Sunrise needs to slow it's loving roll and get their poo poo in order. We shouldn't be having fifty announced series, every production in hell and poo poo like the Seed movie being in limbo for a decade then coming out with whatever the gently caress those screenshots are.

Don't try and bite off so much. Just take your time on quality products and cancel projects that clearly aren't working.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, again, I think part of that is COVID hosed a lot of things over and we're catching up with that

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm completely cold on this new SEED project and am just waiting for more Hathaway at this point

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

It's a mixed bag. I'm pretty thoroughly convinced at this point that Sunrise needs to slow it's loving roll and get their poo poo in order. We shouldn't be having fifty announced series, every production in hell and poo poo like the Seed movie being in limbo for a decade then coming out with whatever the gently caress those screenshots are.

Don't try and bite off so much. Just take your time on quality products and cancel projects that clearly aren't working.

I'm not sure. My knee-jerk reaction is that they are putting out a bit too much content, they're risking saturation and burnout when people get tired of Gundam. But on the other hand, if they didn't have guaranteed hits like Unicorn 2 on the backburner, I doubt we get a series like G-Witch, something that took a big risk and struck gold.

Also, I doubt that the delays with the Seed movie came from them making too much Gundam to fit it in. It was probably all pre-production development issues, like Fukuda and the execs disagreeing, maybe they couldn't get the script to work, etc.

And quite frankly most of the criticism of what we've seen about the Seed movie has come from people who already loving hated Seed. So who gives a poo poo what they have to say about it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1696579920447545413?s=20

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Every anime production is in hell. It's not a Gundam franchise thing or even a Sunrise thing. The anime industry is perpetually on fire and everyone is working themselves to death with not enough resources or time and it's just how things are across the entire industry to the point where it's a notable and laudable exception when a project is properly funded and staffed and finished in advance instead of having to bring in a whole other animation studio to finish the last episode two hours before it airs.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I'm just waiting for more Build that is a real series. 🙏

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Honestly 2 TV series with Build Diver Re-rise and Witch from Mercury is not that bad of a schedule (Eyes the movies) Oh yeah that's a bit crazy even with Covid delays lamo

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

If it is like anything else SEED the character art is only vaguely going to resemble what actually shows up onscreen.

I mean there's a trailer and the characters don't look like bobbleheads in it so it's just crappy looking promo art. Not much different from how Okawara lineart is basically the worst any CE mobile suit will usually look.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want more gundam

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, again, I think part of that is COVID hosed a lot of things over and we're catching up with that

They've had these problems long before COVID was a thing. Unicorn went way past it's schedule and so did basically every other OVA or Movie they've ever made.

Gripweed posted:

I'm not sure. My knee-jerk reaction is that they are putting out a bit too much content, they're risking saturation and burnout when people get tired of Gundam. But on the other hand, if they didn't have guaranteed hits like Unicorn 2 on the backburner, I doubt we get a series like G-Witch, something that took a big risk and struck gold.

Also, I doubt that the delays with the Seed movie came from them making too much Gundam to fit it in. It was probably all pre-production development issues, like Fukuda and the execs disagreeing, maybe they couldn't get the script to work, etc.

And quite frankly most of the criticism of what we've seen about the Seed movie has come from people who already loving hated Seed. So who gives a poo poo what they have to say about it?

Unicorn 2 is probably going to make a mint, but what they've said makes it seem more experimental than Unicorn 1 which means they've not really got any bread and butter Gundam coming out except Hathaway. They're also saturating Mid Late UC as much as they used to with the OYW, the projects are starting to step on each-others toes.

Kanos posted:

Every anime production is in hell. It's not a Gundam franchise thing or even a Sunrise thing. The anime industry is perpetually on fire and everyone is working themselves to death with not enough resources or time and it's just how things are across the entire industry to the point where it's a notable and laudable exception when a project is properly funded and staffed and finished in advance instead of having to bring in a whole other animation studio to finish the last episode two hours before it airs.
All this doesn't account for the insane pre planning decisions Sunrise has made like green lighting AGE for a full run while IBO and 00 were conditional and Witch and Reco were half runs. Although Reco was Tomino's call. There's also just weird side projects like IGLOO that just don't have a reason to exist.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Kanos posted:

That's just the world at large

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gaius Marius posted:

They've had these problems long before COVID was a thing. Unicorn went way past it's schedule and so did basically every other OVA or Movie they've ever made.

Unicorn 2 is probably going to make a mint, but what they've said makes it seem more experimental than Unicorn 1 which means they've not really got any bread and butter Gundam coming out except Hathaway. They're also saturating Mid Late UC as much as they used to with the OYW, the projects are starting to step on each-others toes.

How are you defining bread and butter Gundam? Because we just had a successful mainline Gundam TV anime. Hathaway isn't bread and butter, it's a movie, the TV animes are the bread and butter.

Gaius Marius posted:

All this doesn't account for the insane pre planning decisions Sunrise has made like green lighting AGE for a full run while IBO and 00 were conditional and Witch and Reco were half runs. Although Reco was Tomino's call. There's also just weird side projects like IGLOO that just don't have a reason to exist.

Age was a massive cross media project helmed by the guy who created Inazuma Eleven and other huge money printing franchises. There was so much reason for Bandai to have a ton of faith in Gundam Age before it came out.

The fact that Age flopped is why IBO was only green lit as a half series.

IGLOO had tons of reasons to exist. It was another OVA aimed at an older audience like had been successful before. It also gave them a chance to experiment with CGI, which they came to use more in future works.

I gotta be honest, the only real throughline I see on your reasoning here is that you think Sunrise should only make Gundam shows you like.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

How are you defining bread and butter Gundam? Because we just had a successful mainline Gundam TV anime. Hathaway isn't bread and butter, it's a movie, the TV animes are the bread and butter.
Where is the next one? They've got forty things announced and nothing coming out.

Gripweed posted:

Age was a massive cross media project helmed by the guy who created Inazuma Eleven and other huge money printing franchises. There was so much reason for Bandai to have a ton of faith in Gundam Age before it came out.
The fact that Age flopped is why IBO was only green lit as a half series.
Why did 00 have a conditional renewal?

Gripweed posted:

IGLOO had tons of reasons to exist. It was another OVA aimed at an older audience like had been successful before. It also gave them a chance to experiment with CGI, which they came to use more in future works.
Garbage has no right to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can only genuinely come up with four things off the top of my head that have either been announced or are known to be in development.