Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Remember those toothpick crossbows? There's now a double-barreled toothpick shotgun available, presumably so that you can poke both eyes out at once!

It does appear to be brown recluse mating season…

actually, it’s, like, all spider mating season in the Midwest U.S., but I only dislike brown recluses. The rest of the spiders are cool and haven’t made me go to the doctor then go on antibiotics.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

[Crosspost]

Pimple and blackead popper toys:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005300101769.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005828495453.html

Pimple Pete:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005818256962.html

Fun for all the family!

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 29, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Charles Ford posted:

I always fancied getting a custom LCD, like on those old Tiger games or digital watches, for some project. They're made very similarly to PCBs but there don't seem to be any companies offering the service in a "just upload your file and we ship the result" way like the many Chinese PCB manufacturers do. You can find other people online talking about it, some people on YouTube made their own (not very easy, particularly since you have to buy the liquid crystal and that in itself is a similar adventure in Chinese companies), and a few people who did it and wouldn't tell anyone what company helped them (in case they got fed up doing tiny runs). I had a look on alibaba, sent a couple of messages, and they actually replied! Their prices for 100 were reasonable, though I wondered if that was in expectation of getting larger runs.

It was at that point that I realised I needed a project with a screen to actually proceed with the plan, since I had to actually *speak* to someone and not just do it on a whim, and I haven't continued with the idea.

I once met a guy who was working making very tough industrial gadgets, big steel cases with custom electronics inside. He'd figured out that even if he had the steel machined in China, and 50% of them were out of spec and needed reworked, it was still cheaper for him to do that and send the defective 50% to a local company to have them fixed, than to just have that local company manufacture them from scratch. I always wondered at what point the local company would just give up.

Do you mean like an LCD with a custom printed backing layer?

That was my general experience as well reaching out to suppliers. In my case, I told them that the smaller batch was all I was doing for now and they were cool with it.

I tried to have some assembled PCBs made via other ali suppliers, but they wanted me to use some off brand software to convert the design files instead of just sending them the zipped Kicad files with the schematics and the BOM all in one folder.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Lol Jesus.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

one of the worst things I've ever seen. thank you.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Subjunctive posted:

I’m slowly accumulating a data centre under and on my desk, so this is very welcome as a way to reduce the cabling entropy

what do you think is the limit on dollar value that I should trust to those interlocking hooks?

I wouldn't trust much that can't take the drop, it's not so much the hook itself it's just that the adhesive will inevitably creep and fail under even fairly small loads.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BigBadSteve posted:

Pimple and blackead popper toys:
god I hate this

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ended up buying a D30 label printer off amazon since it was $20 rather than the brother compatible one off aliexpress and while the app has the worst interface ever, it's way more convenient than using the keyboard on a standalone label printer.

Also, while it's slightly annoying to do, it's possible to import an excel file and batch print labels which is pretty cool.

mystes fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 29, 2023

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Subjunctive posted:

I’m slowly accumulating a data centre under and on my desk, so this is very welcome as a way to reduce the cabling entropy

what do you think is the limit on dollar value that I should trust to those interlocking hooks?

They're actually surprisingly sturdy and the adhesive really stays there, like it's a pain in the rear end trying to peel it off if you gently caress up placement. I used two for the surge protector under my desk. I'd say anything that weighs under 7lbs should be fine.

Anyone have any experience with some of the mini-PCs on aliexpress? Been looking for a cheap solution in building a media server, I was thinking of hooking a mini-PC up to a four or five bay DAS as a solution.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Thanks I wish I was dead

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

loving gross stop quoting it lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shredder posted:

loving gross stop quoting it lol

This is the way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

No. This sort of exposure therapy is good for you.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I have some sticky pads that seemed really sticky, and even those have peeled off over time with only the weight of one wire on them, you shouldn't trust sticky pads, even good ones.

No more nails though, that poo poo works.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

My wife wants me to order all of these, thanks thread

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Hellequin posted:

Anyone have any experience with some of the mini-PCs on aliexpress? Been looking for a cheap solution in building a media server, I was thinking of hooking a mini-PC up to a four or five bay DAS as a solution.

There's a ton of reviews on YouTube for seemingly every different model atm, BeeLink, Chuwi and Trigkey seem to be three of the most common brands. Currently the Intel N100 chips seem to be the sweet spot for price/performance.

Anecdotally here in the UK the price difference between AliExpress and Amazon (prime) for these is pretty negligible.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

:sever:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

No, squeeeeeeze

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

blunt posted:

There's a ton of reviews on YouTube for seemingly every different model atm, BeeLink, Chuwi and Trigkey seem to be three of the most common brands. Currently the Intel N100 chips seem to be the sweet spot for price/performance.

Anecdotally here in the UK the price difference between AliExpress and Amazon (prime) for these is pretty negligible.

the advice is to go with amazon because it’s quicker and you can return it if it’s broken etc

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

she's the type of girl who likes to pop zits on your back, right?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I just get my wife (myyy wiiiiffee) to pop mine

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

bowmore posted:

I just get my wife (myyy wiiiiffee) to pop mine

You send that sense of humor back for a refund at once!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Dodgy Eurasian seller will dispute the claim, and it's pretty much worthless at this point anyway.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

sorry the seller is disputing

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

the advice is to go with amazon because it’s quicker and you can return it if it’s broken etc

I picked up a few beelinks off Amazon for a work thing and they were perfect. Unlike my NUC, they have a tiny fan that perceptively spins up under load but that’s nbd for our use.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

blunt posted:

Yeah for whatever reason the price difference between amazon Canada and AliExpress is like $200 CAD for what is clearly the same model with identical hardware, and I don't want to pay over $400 for a Celeron. Found what looks to be a pretty decent N100 model with some decent reviews, only complaint seems to be that the copy of Windows was unregistered, which isn't an issue because I'm going to install Linux on it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I got a n95 from Ali a few months back. Works fine and was a little cheaper than amazon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

r u ready to WALK posted:

Anyone tried the edible ink printers?

Can't get much more environmentally friendly than that

Here lies One Whose Name was writ in a Sandwich.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Hellequin posted:

Yeah for whatever reason the price difference between amazon Canada and AliExpress is like $200 CAD for what is clearly the same model with identical hardware, and I don't want to pay over $400 for a Celeron. Found what looks to be a pretty decent N100 model with some decent reviews, only complaint seems to be that the copy of Windows was unregistered, which isn't an issue because I'm going to install Linux on it.

I think I'm in well under $600 on this, including stupid poo poo like putting 128GB of RAM into it because gently caress it, why not.

Are aging Xeon workstations not a thing for reasons besides power use and space?

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I too am molested relentlessly by my wife's tweezers. But she thought the toys were "gross", just like the blackheads on my back, or the hair in my ears, or that one really long eyebrow she always has to pluck. Doesn't stop her from coming back for more.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Three Olives posted:

I think I'm in well under $600 on this, including stupid poo poo like putting 128GB of RAM into it because gently caress it, why not.

Are aging Xeon workstations not a thing for reasons besides power use and space?

Aging Xeon workstations are the loving best. I’m rocking a $300 dual CPU HP Z640 that I’ve been continually adding to since March or so. I bought it bone stock with the cheapest 4-core E5-1620v4 CPU, found a second CPU riser on eBay, then after much back-and-forth ended up buying two $40 E5-2690v4 CPUs at 14 cores and 28 threads each. For some reason, 2690s were massively underpriced compared to anything else even approaching 14 cores, so they were a no-brainer. The only downside of higher core Xeons is their low single core speed, which may or may not matter to you. Also you’ll want to populate all four DIMMs with identical sticks to get the best memory performance out of each processor’s four memory channels.

They’re sort of a not so well kept secret for building acceptably powerful and cheap gaming rigs, thanks in part to cheap CPUs and ram on Aliexpress. A handful of youtube channels are devoted to E5/X99 Xeon machines because of their ubiquity.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

XYZAB posted:

Aging Xeon workstations are the loving best. I’m rocking a $300 dual CPU HP Z640 that I’ve been continually adding to since March or so. I bought it bone stock with the cheapest 4-core E5-1620v4 CPU, found a second CPU riser on eBay, then after much back-and-forth ended up buying two $40 E5-2690v4 CPUs at 14 cores and 28 threads each. For some reason, 2690s were massively underpriced compared to anything else even approaching 14 cores, so they were a no-brainer. The only downside of higher core Xeons is their low single core speed, which may or may not matter to you. Also you’ll want to populate all four DIMMs with identical sticks to get the best memory performance out of each processor’s four memory channels.

They’re sort of a not so well kept secret for building acceptably powerful and cheap gaming rigs, thanks in part to cheap CPUs and ram on Aliexpress. A handful of youtube channels are devoted to E5/X99 Xeon machines because of their ubiquity.

That is fine and cool and I understand the appeal, but I think most in this thread are looking for solid tiny box pcs from Ali. Believe me I’ve built it all but YouTube is the way to go to sorting these new NUCs and finding the sweet$1-150 spot I think most in this thread are looking for.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

XYZAB posted:

I don't even game, it started off during COVID looking at a few Pi projects and the lack of Pis, then docker, media server connected to our NAS, VPN server, Chrome Remote Desktop for privately using the computer remotely, it suddenly seemed to make a bunch of since to have a computer with a bunch of RAM and CPU cores to do all those things very comfortably overhead wise.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Bingo, apartment living and easily tripped breakers. Plus a Xeon is just way overkill for running a media server that's going to handle, at most, three concurrent streams that aren't transcoded. Spent $160 so I'm happy with that, more money for HDDs.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Rad-daddio posted:

Do you mean like an LCD with a custom printed backing layer?

Like the screens Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operators use, or old calculators, or the Tiger games. Basically, you draw what you want the screen to look like and they'll do the "design". Actual manufacturing-wise they're a lot like PCBs, just harder (here's a YouTube video where the guy just uses photoresist to imprint his "circuit" onto the sides of the glass, which is what eventually creates the segments), but for whatever reason these companies will do the actual design for you based on your drawing (presumably as there's more strict rules for how to lay out the LCD circuit).

I guess I just need to pick a little project to try, design a screen I want, and see if one of the alibaba companies will really help me!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Old enterprise/workstation gear is great as long as you have cheap power. I had to turn off the dell servers in my garage last winter when electricity got so expensive it was approaching $10/day to leave it running.

It's fun to play around with old decommissioned vmware servers with several hundred GBs of memory but not at that cost!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I wouldn't dream of looking at anything less than an i5. Even with SSDs and tons of ram, can these celerons keep up to basic tasks without lots of waiting around?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Depends what you want to do? An N100 does 4c/4t at up to 3.4ghz with hardware h264/h265 encode/decode and av1/vc1 decode for 6-25w of power.

A newish i5 will absolutely still smoke it, but at significantly more money, power, size and noise. If you just want a media server, homelab or something to browse the internet with adblock they're totally fine and decent value.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...%2D%20Geekbench

blunt fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 30, 2023

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Charles Ford posted:

Like the screens Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operators use, or old calculators, or the Tiger games. Basically, you draw what you want the screen to look like and they'll do the "design". Actual manufacturing-wise they're a lot like PCBs, just harder (here's a YouTube video where the guy just uses photoresist to imprint his "circuit" onto the sides of the glass, which is what eventually creates the segments), but for whatever reason these companies will do the actual design for you based on your drawing (presumably as there's more strict rules for how to lay out the LCD circuit).

I guess I just need to pick a little project to try, design a screen I want, and see if one of the alibaba companies will really help me!

ah, got it.

I forgot that Teenage Engineering used the old pre printed LCD. I did a lot of stuff with OLED displays awhile back, so i got spoiled by the ability to make it do whatever.

I had an idea for a Eurorack module that used an e-ink/epaper display for showing the UI and settings, but I bounced on it after having to deal with electronics manufacturing for my day job. No way I'm doing that in my free time for a niche hobby unless I can sell the bejesus out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

codo27 posted:

I wouldn't dream of looking at anything less than an i5. Even with SSDs and tons of ram, can these celerons keep up to basic tasks without lots of waiting around?

I've seen a few posts on different forums from people claiming that they're able to transcode two 4k HDR files to 1080p simultaneously without hitching using hardware acceleration, or that it's able to handle eight 1080p streams at once with Direct-Play on an n100, that's more than enough for what I need it for. That said, I would have agreed with you that you'd need at least an i3, ideally an i5 for a home media server prior to 12th gen. CPUs are in a really great spot right now and you basically can't go wrong with anything on the market from the last two generations, AMD or Intel.

...I just wish GPUs were in a similar spot.