Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Russia is genociding Ukraine, Libya is megaraping its citizens, Syria is gassing its citizens, Iraq is a mad dog that's going to kill everyone with Sarin, China is ethnically cleansing its citizens, Taliban are going to send Afghanistan back to the stone age

Intentionally picking emotionally charged subjects that you can't respond to in a short soundbite without sounding like a Calm Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Only a fool would would trust the great satan and its lies.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Neurolimal posted:

Russia is genociding Ukraine, Libya is megaraping its citizens, Syria is gassing its citizens, Iraq is a mad dog that's going to kill everyone with Sarin, China is ethnically cleansing its citizens, Taliban are going to send Afghanistan back to the stone age

Intentionally picking emotionally charged subjects that you can't respond to in a short soundbite without sounding like a Calm Hitler.

Meanwhile, what's happening on the southern American border is very solved, thank you for asking.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Neurolimal posted:

all of these things are true and america is doing them all at once and more. its amazing how capable the usa is!!

e: i mean except sarin. we kill everyone/everything with a lot of other stuff tho

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw&t=125s

Rico's family died because of a Bug terror attack. Millions burned alive for the crime of loving their democracyplanet. This is what peace with & under the Bugs will get you. Are you going to deny his lived experience as a Porteño? loving tankies.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Neurolimal posted:

It drives me a little insane that everyone who makes these accusations promptly forgets about them once they get what they want. You can tell people that any one of those past examples was false, they may agree with you, but it will have no bearing on their insistence that this enemy of the United States is doing something that gives the US the moral high ground when they start a proxy war/colour revolution/arm moderate rebels/invade/no fly zone.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

not an enemy of the united states, an enemy of freedom and goodness. e: and decorum

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

tatankatonk posted:

would love to see NATO think tank guys trying to make the attrition math work on using million dollar rockets to try and snipe (?) individual cargo trucks

"It's coming out of someone else's budget so its fine"

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Organ Fiend posted:

We sturmed some Volks

:trumppop:

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

dead gay comedy forums posted:

and sets up a very thorny issue for diplomacy, because how in the hell it becomes amenable to have diplomacy with someone wanting your extermination?

it's annihilationist either way: settling for peace means absolute betrayal (and full on turbofascist freakshow, self-destruction) or protracting further and further until the state collapses itself in whatever total victory is trying to pursue

That's the point, Ukraine there shall be no diplomacy, Ukraine is disposable, a single use item. I don't even have to look up that Ukranian woman to know she is one of the NGO moles placed into Ukranian society to steer public opinion towards destruction.

Edit: yeah, I have looked her up:

quote:

Olena is a board member of the Ukrainian NGO “Anti-corruption Action Center”. Earlier, she worked as a chief of international advocacy at the post-Maydan coalition of 80 CSOs “Reanimation Package of Reforms” (2015-2017).
She advised to the Member of Parliament of Ukraine (2012-2014).
Olena has experience in local-level politics as she served as the Kyiv City Council member, and deputy chair of the Council’s Commission on Housing and Energy (2014-2015).
Olena is a contributor to the Atlantic Council. She also wrote op-eds for the Washington Post, the Foreign Policy, and the EU Observer.
Olena Halushka obtained PhD in International Economics from the Kyiv National University in 2016.

samogonka has issued a correction as of 22:27 on Aug 29, 2023

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

KomradeX posted:

Tankies say the war is going badly, but I think its been a rousing sucess

You say "procure" but all I heard was "order parts from China".

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Some sort of massive drone attack going on at a Russian airbase. Seems to be the most successful one on Russian territory.

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1696634968372330983

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1696633267007394214

https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1696628739491406120

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1696633531688976545

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

samogonka posted:

That's the point, Ukraine there shall be no diplomacy, Ukraine is disposable, a single use item. I don't even have to look up that Ukranian woman to know she is one of the NGO moles placed into Ukranian society to steer public opinion towards destruction.

The big one time use disposable drone was Ukraine itself all along.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Death By The Blues posted:

Some sort of massive drone attack going on at a Russian airbase. Seems to be the most successful one on Russian territory.

if these drones are being launched from baltics this could escalate very badly. hopefully not.

Sheng-Ji Yang has issued a correction as of 22:44 on Aug 29, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hmm, can we not?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

if these drones are being launched from baltics this could escalate very badly. hopefully not.

i really doubt these drones came from ukraine tbh. very bad.

drat it's so crazy this is happening at a moment where it's clear that Ukraine is not only losing the war but western support

antipattern
Nov 8, 2019

samogonka posted:

If only the Ukrainians had realized early on that they're being used as a proxy to inflict damage on Russia and would be dumped as soon as they outlive their usefulness to the West. But alas, here we are. The country is in ruins in many ways, and even if they somehow survive, they will be in debt to neoliberal ghouls for the foreseeable future.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

antipattern posted:

If only the Ukrainians had realized early on that they're being used as a proxy to inflict damage on Russia and would be dumped as soon as they outlive their usefulness to the West. But alas, here we are. The country is in ruins in many ways, and even if they somehow survive, they will be in debt to neoliberal ghouls for the foreseeable future.

That's the NATO victory condition.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i really doubt these drones came from ukraine tbh. very bad.

I think some of the previous attacks the suspicion has been that people inside Russia are launching the drones from very close to the target to maximize the chances of success.. Could be the same thing happening here, seems way more likely than drones being launched by Estonia, though I suppose it's possible that Ukrainian operatives inside Estonia could be doing it without the knowledge or endorsement of the Estonians.

It does seem unlikely that the drones would fly all the way north from Ukraine right over Belarus to get to their targets, but then again they've managed to get drones to Moscow from Ukraine and that looks like around the same distance.. and the drones are very difficult to detect.. those were much smaller attacks in scale than what this appears to be though.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

I'm sure this is just done by some Russian patriots / heavy metal fans with no connection to NATO

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Starsfan posted:

I think some of the previous attacks the suspicion has been that people inside Russia are launching the drones from very close to the target to maximize the chances of success.. Could be the same thing happening here, seems way more likely than drones being launched by Estonia, though I suppose it's possible that Ukrainian operatives inside Estonia could be doing it without the knowledge or endorsement of the Estonians.

It does seem unlikely that the drones would fly all the way north from Ukraine right over Belarus to get to their targets, but then again they've managed to get drones to Moscow from Ukraine and that looks like around the same distance.. and the drones are very difficult to detect.. those were much smaller attacks in scale than what this appears to be though.

yeah, its about the same distance as Moscow, and if anything belarus might be easier to cross than straight across russia, idk.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

IMO Hound's true penance is saving Arya Stark not only from dangers but also a life of killing. He couldn't do that in retirement, he had to die such that Arya would never want to be a killer. If he had just retired and told her "hey, I've been a killer and you don't want to be one" she wouldn't have listened. We have seen him tell her as much dozens of time, one more ain't gonna do it. He had to be completely consumed by violence to prove it to her. Then and only then does the wolf leave.

feel like this arc was kind of undermined by arya turning into a badass assassin who steals literal godpowers to kill whoever she wants and suffers no negative consequences for doing so

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Godzilla4prez/status/1696539165847081029?s=20

Russia must surrender and Putin imprisoned then the war can end.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

if only Ukraine has offensive capability why is the war taking place on their territory? :thunk:

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

It drives me a little insane that everyone who makes these accusations promptly forgets about them once they get what they want. You can tell people that any one of those past examples was false, they may agree with you, but it will have no bearing on their insistence that this enemy of the United States is doing something that gives the US the moral high ground when they start a proxy war/colour revolution/arm moderate rebels/invade/no fly zone.

This is why "incremental progress" is so important to the ideology, it allows liberals to say "this time is completely different!" every single time because by they believe the nation is always in a more progressive position today than the last time it made that same mistake. Yes, we hosed up before, but it's different now! WE'RE different now! Everything is different, it's not the same! We're better!

It's an ideological block to learning itself.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Orange Devil posted:

And that's exactly why the genocide accusations are used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocity_propaganda

Been in use for at absolute minimum a couple hundred years.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russia's artillery is useless against Ukraine's drones

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

samogonka posted:

JFC every time

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

According to a 1985 UN report backed by Western countries, the KGB had deliberately designed mines to look like toys, and deployed them against Afghan children during the Soviet–Afghan War.[40]

Newspapers such as the New York Times ran stories denouncing the "ghastly, deliberate crippling of children" and noting that while the stories had been met with skepticism by the public, they had been proven by the "incontrovertible testimony" of a UN official testifying the existence of booby-trap toys in the shape of harmonicas, radios, or birds.[41]

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Nonsense posted:

According to a 1985 UN report backed by Western countries, the KGB had deliberately designed mines to look like toys, and deployed them against Afghan children during the Soviet–Afghan War.[40]

Newspapers such as the New York Times ran stories denouncing the "ghastly, deliberate crippling of children" and noting that while the stories had been met with skepticism by the public, they had been proven by the "incontrovertible testimony" of a UN official testifying the existence of booby-trap toys in the shape of harmonicas, radios, or birds.[41]

iraqis murdering babies in icus and natal wards in Kuwait

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

anti-war activist tucker carlson interviews anti-war activist viktor orban
https://twitter.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1696643892253466712

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nonsense posted:

The United States has sent 12 years of Afghanistan money to Ukraine in only one year.

lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

antipattern posted:

Arguably the Ukrainians did realise. It's just anyone who spoke up or tried to do anything was arrested, assassinated ot fled the country. All you have left there are the death cult fanatics, the grifters, NATO in Ukraine uniforms, those too impoverished to flee and the handlers.

What's left is a shadow of what once was.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

In terms of the Christian principle of charity none of them did as much as Lenin, FRANCIS

Is this really true? How much can be accomplished in 6 years most of which was a civil war? Vs say introducing a public health system.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

drat it's so crazy this is happening at a moment where it's clear that Ukraine is not only losing the war but western support

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Nonsense posted:

The United States has sent 12 years of Afghanistan money to Ukraine in only one year.

America spent $110 billion a year on Afghanistan. Hey wait, isn't that about what it's spending on Ukraine?!
https://watson.brown.edu/costsofwar/figures/2021/human-and-budgetary-costs-date-us-war-afghanistan-2001-2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Nonsense posted:

lmaoooooooooo

nah i don't need healthcare or free college.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Digital Jedi posted:

lmaoooooooooo

nah i don't need healthcare or free college.

Correct. You're a revenue stream.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

The US blew so many more resources than that per year on Afghanistan, assuming “Afghanistan money” only means US expenditures, not the amount of damage the US also inflicted. I think you are mistaken on the accounting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

The US blew so many more resources than that per year on Afghanistan, assuming “Afghanistan money” only means US expenditures, not the amount of damage the US also inflicted. I think you are mistaken on the accounting.

Yeah, might be nonesense