Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Okuteru posted:

The future is Arthur Morgan forgoing antibiotics and taking his chances trying to cure TB with Whiskey.

hell yeah i was built for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
lol they helpfully let me know they use much more contrast for a CT than an MRI so I should be glad it wasn’t a CT

I’ve had a bunch of both and never noticed the difference just a warm feeling and like I was pussing myself.

the worst thing I’ve ever had done is a nuclear stress test. nothing can describe the “this is wrong” feeling it gives you

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Asproigerosis posted:

As an actual MRI tech here, more often than not yall are not going to have a good time trying to keep your bane masks on in the tube. We don't trust anything for good reason and generally speaking unless there is actual testing by the manufacturer or otherwise information by the manufacturer about mri safety it's gonna be a no from most techs. Would recommend calling the place well in advance to speak to a technologist about keeping the mask on and if that'll be ok etc. Also I'd warn that if you're getting any imaging of the brain/head/possibly cervical/thoracic spine depending on the coil configuration it will be impossible to keep a respirator on regardless of metal as it will physically not fit.

Also good form on the tech to just tell you it's normal for the contrast to burn because that's like the first immediate indication of extravasation (gadolinium contrast injection should never give a sustained burning sensation beyond maybe the initial seconds for other physiological reasons)

Have you seen the readimask? might be just the ticket.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nexous posted:

lol they helpfully let me know they use much more contrast for a CT than an MRI so I should be glad it wasn’t a CT

I’ve had a bunch of both and never noticed the difference just a warm feeling and like I was pussing myself.

the worst thing I’ve ever had done is a nuclear stress test. nothing can describe the “this is wrong” feeling it gives you

Ah! That makes sense. Yeah nuclear stress tests just seem not cool, I hopefully don't ever need to take one of those. And yeah that is kind of the weirdest part is I've had several other contrast tests and it was fine. It just got me last time.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

nexous posted:

I’ve got plans to get all our assets in my wife’s name and divorce her if I have to declare bankruptcy due to medical debt.

this is the kind of prepper content I can get behind

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Platystemon posted:

COVID response confounds SARS expert

Aug 24, 2023

Buy this doctor an account.

This guy's heart is probably in the right place but uh, saying that COVID-19 mortality is in the "single digits" and that the odds of getting long covid are up to over 140% are not terribly helpful.

He did mention Dr. Tara Moriarty and https://covid19resources.ca. I heard of the former before. She studies... or studied blood-borne diseases, particularly Lyme disease, and is cross-appointed in a faculty of dentistry. She got some media attention for compiling estimates of excess mortality* a couple of years ago and publishing them through the Royal Society of Canada (essentially an academic social club and not at all a peer reviewed journal), after having published not much of anything since 2017. So a lot of people are naturally skeptical and wondering if she's much like those physicists who suddenly became epidemiological data scientists in 2020. Now I guess she has a few more friends and put together a website with somewhat janky visualizations?

If I sound too skeptical, consider this page: https://covid19resources.ca/public/vaccine-resources/. Am I missing something or does it contain literally nothing besides the site header, footer, a page-specific logo, and this tiny quote in the middle: "Please note: this resource was last updated in January 2022". ???

The COVID forecast page for Canada looks like this:

The advice is never going to stop being relevant but I'm not sure who any of the rest of that is meant to convince or help. I also don't know what they mean by lowest point of the pandemic but I guess it's July-August 2020, which is by now a gaping void in public consciousness.

*Statistics Canada does this, but slowed down the pace of updates in 2020 for some reason.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

:thejoke:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Just use a family trust, goddamn

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

Do people actually worry about this or just go to bed and sleep soundly knowing they're definitely totally hosed

i go to sleep knowing i can just pay the hospital $5/mo forever to avoid collections i guess

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
just found out about a new thing: concierge urgent care

$3,500/yr per person (more if you're over 45) for an out-of-network, non-Medicare, members only club to look at your ear infection

https://sollishealth.com/

:d2a:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
“Our medical team has attended a course from The Ritz-Carlton Leadership Center as part of their employment experience at Sollis.”

lmfao

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

fosborb posted:

just found out about a new thing: concierge urgent care

$3,500/yr per person (more if you're over 45) for an out-of-network, non-Medicare, members only club to look at your ear infection

https://sollishealth.com/

:d2a:

lol wtf my mom pays 1500/yr for her concierge pcp (still has to pay for everything through insurance) I’m sure that’s grandfathered in from like 20 years ago

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol

of course

quote:

Event Services
With on-site rapid event testing, you can host and gather safely at your home or a private venue.

might need to update their webpage there....

quote:

At-Home Care
Monoclonal antibody treatment, oxygen therapy, and remote monitoring to ensure swift recovery.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

fosborb posted:

(more if you're over 45)

Man you weren't joking about that. 6k!!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Boss, we still need the low and slow video tutorial in op.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

fosborb posted:

lol

of course

I'm sure he washed his hands

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

StratGoatCom posted:

Boss, we still need the low and slow video tutorial in op.

yes saw your multiple posts And pm. I don't touch the op by phone posting and im not at a laptop right at this immediate moment. please chill

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

fosborb posted:

yes saw your multiple posts And pm. I don't touch the op by phone posting and im not at a laptop right at this immediate moment. please chill

melting down right now. in tears. have pissed pants. already sent 5 telegrams to jeffery. going to start threads in SAD, tech inquiries, and creative convention

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fosborb posted:

lol

of course

Dr Jack Bauer, MD

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

fosborb posted:

Acknowledgement received.

Proceeding to chill.

:cheers:

sorry boss, and thanks.

StratGoatCom has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Aug 30, 2023

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nexous posted:

So I got my MRI, had to take off my Vflex and they had no surgical so I raw dogged it. Then apparently they messed up my IV so they injected the contrast into not a vein and it burned like the dickens. I mashed the alert button but the MRI tech said that was normal and it took me 5 minutes to convince them it was not normal because I’ve had it before. They went and asked the radiologist and all of a sudden there’s several new unmasked people in the room telling me to sign some document and that this happens sometimes just ice it down when you get home. They re-IV the other arm and complete the MRI and glad to get out of the maskless hellhole.

baby if you want some readimasks so this doesn’t happen again hit up my PMs.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

thread title is one of the best ones in a while

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Concierge Urgent Care feels like such a grift although maybe I'm missing something.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
i assume if you’re rich enough it doesn’t matter if you’re overpaying

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rick posted:

Concierge Urgent Care feels like such a grift although maybe I'm missing something.

it is 100% so you can get ear drops without having to sit for 30 minutes with the poors

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
even for the 45+ at 6k/yr, it's only a fraction of the more exclusive club fees in the places this service exists. a steal, really

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

nexous posted:

So I got my MRI, had to take off my Vflex and they had no surgical so I raw dogged it. Then apparently they messed up my IV so they injected the contrast into not a vein and it burned like the dickens. I mashed the alert button but the MRI tech said that was normal and it took me 5 minutes to convince them it was not normal because I’ve had it before. They went and asked the radiologist and all of a sudden there’s several new unmasked people in the room telling me to sign some document and that this happens sometimes just ice it down when you get home. They re-IV the other arm and complete the MRI and glad to get out of the maskless hellhole.

Let us know if they charge your insurance for 2 contrast IVs.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

gently caress, lol

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I still can't believe that there's a Dick Zoutman in this world. What a miracle we were blessed with.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

thats a good one, but im so far beyond my deductible if they charge me anything im gonna go on a rampage

I do bet they charge insurance lol.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Tulip posted:

I still can't believe that there's a Dick Zoutman in this world. What a miracle we were blessed with.

the final adversary of One Punch Man

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Tulip posted:

Guess you haven't heard about Dick Assman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-JHw4YyLIM

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Dick Assman, from Regina

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
kojima-rear end world

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Rick posted:

didn't Dr. Fridge get a position as a concierge doctor in NYC and that's when they stopped pretending they cared about covid? i remember there was lots of humblebrag posts of their penthouse apt before the eventual fridge diploma fracas

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Does long covid risk accumulate with each infection, or is it a flat rate? Any sources, preferably from the mother fuckin' CDC? Help me out with my turbolib friend pls

e: already linked this https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02051-3

Cretin90 posted:

How’s this? https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/repeat-covid-19-infections-increase-risk-of-organ-failure-death/

“Overall, the researchers found that people with COVID-19 reinfections were twice as likely to die and three times more likely to be hospitalized than those with no reinfection.

Additionally, people with repeat infections were 3½ times more likely to develop lung problems, three times more likely to suffer heart conditions and 1.6 times more likely to experience brain conditions than patients who had been infected with the virus once.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02051-3

used search, thanks!

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Aug 30, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

RealityWarCriminal posted:

a visiting nurse just showed up to my house to change a family member's bandage. he was wearing a secureclick. which one of you was it?
:bisonyes:

fosborb posted:

91-DIVOC is officially mothballed
https://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/ posted:
Reliable, Timely COVID-19 Raw Data Sources No Longer Available
:hmmrona: lol poo poo is hosed

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

Dick Zout for Harambe
lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Show yourself Erin (I enjoyed the whole piece, so just an excerpt):
"COVID cases are rising, and all eyes are on new variant BA.2.86 ‘Pirola.’ Should masks make a comeback?"

Good advice by Ray.

Rajnarayanan is cool. He’s done tireless work in characterizing variants.

NeonPunk posted:

Lmao, I was going looking at our favorite doctor Vinay Prasad to find a tweet that agreed with you and got distracted by apparently he's now saying that cancer screening is just completely overhyped and we shouldn't even bother doing it either??

https://twitter.com/chr1sa/status/1696291973949264335

Edit: for the SAD reader, I am posting this not because I'm endorsing the content, but rather to mock this. Please go and get checked for cancer when you are able to

So much for “Vinay Prasad is only a bad doctor inasmuch as he speaks outside of his specialty”

:rubby:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
*nervously tucks collar*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/08/30/covid-joke-terrorism-court-ruling/ posted:

He was arrested for a covid joke. It was free speech, court rules.

Waylon Bailey woke up Friday morning with the same anxiety that had consumed him for more than three years.

Since Bailey was arrested in March 2020 for a coronavirus joke he posted on Facebook, he has struggled to clear his mind. The felony terrorism charge he faced ruined his life, he said, prompting him to sue two employees from a Louisiana parish’s sheriff’s office. A district court judge later dismissed Bailey’s claims, but Bailey appealed.
(..)
His attorney had messaged him the decision from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Three judges ruled that Bailey’s Facebook post — which joked that the sheriff’s office had issued an order to shoot people infected with the coronavirus — was protected speech under the First Amendment and that he shouldn’t have been arrested.
(..)
There “were no facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe that Bailey’s post caused sustained fear,” the judges wrote. “No members of the public expressed any type of concern. Even if the post were taken seriously, it is too general and contingent to be a specific threat.”
(..)

Ehh... maybe if the joke had been funny, it wouldn't have been mistaken for terrorism.