Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It had the fourth best Halloween movie Halloween at aunt Ethel’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Frankly, Tubi is kinda the only choice. Like, yeah I'm glad Shudder exists, but its catalogue is too small to be interesting to me.

e: It may work well for folks who are cool with just watching whatever, or getting recommendations of things they've never heard of, but I know what I want to watch before I ever open an app and 95% of the time it's either on Tubi, for rent on YouTube, or for free on YouTube because the rights holders don't remember it exists.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 29, 2023

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Frankly, Tubi is kinda the only choice. Like, yeah I'm glad Shudder exists, but its catalogue is too small to be interesting to me.

I'm guessing you live somewhere where regional differences mean the Shudder library is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, because I'm looking at horror movies on Tubi versus Shudder's selection and it's not even close, it's an absolute landslide in Shudder's favor

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah, I'm US. I think it's that I own all the ""good"" horror movies I want on physical, so the stuff I stream is all the intriguing trash that either doesn't have a physical release or has a niche $60 release that I'm not going to shell out for blind.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've been so far satisfied with Shudders "original" content. Like its mostly pretty decent stuff.

Watching Voyage of Demetri right now. Its not to bad but it opens in a weird way.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Nah, I'm US. I think it's that I own all the ""good"" horror movies I want on physical, so the stuff I stream is all the intriguing trash that either doesn't have a physical release or has a niche $60 release that I'm not going to shell out for blind.

You had me at "intriguing trash."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Last Voyage was really good! I liked it. Also its basically Alien but in 1896 with a vampire instead. Very similar in lots of different shots. I'd have to rewatch Alien but there's a lot of stuff that's in it that is basically just like Alien. There's one specific scene when they're outside in the rain and the ropes are hanging down that is just straight up Alien. There's even a scene where people talk about what they're going to do with their money around a dinner table.

Very much a Alien homage than anything else.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 30, 2023

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

Filtering by 4-5 stars, sorting by popularity, and going to the bottom:

Dead Faith - Random Tubi watch that has 1 Letterboxd view and 0 reviews because I usually only do star ratings. Not so much a horror movie as a dramatized theological debate on the ethics of killing zombies, but it's great, and under an hour.
Nasty Nancy - 6 reviews. Great Croatian slasher that I came across on my world tour.
Nine Girls (1944) - Sizable parts of history have well under 1k reviews for everything except the biggest hits, but this is my least popular at 17 reviews. Nominally a murder mystery set in a sorority, it's also what I suppose is a proto-proto-slasher.

Jeez, even the Abbott and Costello Meet the Monsters (except Frankenstein) are well under the line.

Closer to the threshold:

The Comedy of Terrors - 984 reviews. Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, and Peter Lorre in a horror comedy, and it's well established that the thread loves The Raven.
Mark of the Vampire - 797 reviews. Tod Browning and Bela Lugosi basically gaslight the contemporary audience by making a movie, with that title, in which Bela is playing an Eastern European Count, and people are dying.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

The Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi films are probably the best example of this, but they come up in this thread a lot already.

I won’t claim either of these are great films, but they’re both interesting and don’t deserve to be so obscure:

Black Zoo (1963) has only 218 watches on LB, and it features Michael Gough as an evil zookeeper who uses his animals to kill his rivals. It’s not a great movie but maybe worth a watch for Gough maniacally playing a pipe organ like the phantom of the opera while surrounded by lions and tigers that are clearly heavily sedated.

Hell’s Ground (2007) is at 555 watches, it’s basically a Pakistani take on the Texas Chain Saw Massacre but also there are zombies. It’s more interesting for being a gory Pakistani horror movie than it is a great film though.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Hollismason posted:

I think there is something like 400 horror movies on Tubi. Like overall for horror its really one of the best choices.

And a lot of the times they've got the good Arrow/Vinegar Syndrome transfers, Tubi's the best

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Lumbermouth posted:

And a lot of the times they've got the good Arrow/Vinegar Syndrome transfers, Tubi's the best

Yeah they actually have some deep cuts Italian films on there as well which is pretty surprising.

The internet is actually telling me that there are 750 horror movies on Tubi.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

have yall seen slasher.tv ? It's literally facebook/twitter but for horror fans. Not sure where it came from or how long it's been around, but it certainly has the theming down. Not sure it's useful when I can just go to the horror feed on my bluesky (or come here) but it exists!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That could be fun. Horror fans more often than not from my experience are mostly cool. The only thing they do that’s iffy but fun is they def play the “you cool
Game” where they’ll name their favorite Jason that isn’t Kane Hodder

Mine is CJ Graham but Ted White was cool.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

have yall seen slasher.tv ? It's literally facebook/twitter but for horror fans. Not sure where it came from or how long it's been around, but it certainly has the theming down. Not sure it's useful when I can just go to the horror feed on my bluesky (or come here) but it exists!

lol

quote:

Slasher was built for horror fans! Now you can enjoy a friendly community with no censorship of bloody or gory special effects and makeup!

Based on my experience with horror nerds outside this community, I'm pretty iffy on opening that door.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Open that door show me the fake gore

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

That could be fun. Horror fans more often than not from my experience are mostly cool. The only thing they do that’s iffy but fun is they def play the “you cool
Game” where they’ll name their favorite Jason that isn’t Kane Hodder

Ari Lehman :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He wasn’t Jason enough for me to get a vibe

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whos the guy that power walked in the woods with the thicc thighs. That's my favorite Jason. I think it was part 5 or 6.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Easily Mantzoukas for me.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Shrecknet posted:

What a weird thing in tyool 2023. Like someone could just stand up a horror movie themed Mastodon server and not have the walled garden issue of whatever one-off software this is running. Otherwise people are just gonna keep using whatever they're already using to talk horror flicks.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
just bought an end of days poster for some loving reason

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was so hype for End of Days when it came out. I still kinda like it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TheKingslayer posted:

I was so hype for End of Days when it came out. I still kinda like it.

it does have Gabriel Byrne being hilarious and one-punching a dudes head into moosh

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
End of Days is legit good. You got Gabriel Byrne playing the loving devil. You got Arnold playing a washed out cop. The whole movie seems to think that New York rains 90% of the time. You got a killer ending.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

While we're at it I'll show some love to The Sixth Day. It's such a weird/funny sci-fi romp.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The Boogeyman has a cool monster but some of the absolute worst sound mixing I've ever heard. Hope you like songs that start and then abruptly stop a couple seconds later when they jump cut to a new scene, because that happens at least three times here!

e: Apparently this was directed by Rob Savage of DASHCAM fame so, uhh, guess that explains it. The man loves his lovely audio mixing.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 30, 2023

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My favorite horror with sub-1K Letterboxd reviews:

Teratomorph and South Mill District and Variant
Slow-paced micro-budget mood pieces with some great schlocky practical effects and some cool heady ideas. My favorite kind of micro-budget, with both high and low ambitions.

Ghost of Dragstrip Hollow
A group of young drag racers squat in a haunted house, throw a halloween party, and accidentally invite a real monster. Super fun rebel youths meet a monster thing.

Weedjies
A Full Moon budget Gremlins ripoff that takes place at a Halloween party. Not enough weed jokes and the story is no good, but the great puppets and the fun gags definitely make it worthwhile if you just want a decent little Gremlins/Ghoulies/etc. kinda thing.

Monster from Green Hell
A solid 50s b-movie that doesn't do anything particularly interesting, but is very fun and has some really solid effects, especially the stop-motion. Better than many of its much more popular contemporaries.

The Colossus of New York and The Flesh Eaters
Another couple solid 50s b-movies that are fun, well-made, and enjoyable but don't break the mold.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Under 1k lb members watched, some highlights but have more i can rec.

Hickory never bleeds (4/5)

Last day at the beach (3/5)

1972 yellow house (3.5/5)

The Pact (1995) (3/5)

The Invisible Mother (4/5)

Autohead (3.5/5)

Bahia Blanca (3/5)*

Rwd (3.5/5)

Madeline, study of a Nightmare (4/5)

Sixteen tongues (3.5/5)*

*these have sexual assault scenes so if that's a trigger it's a skip.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

*these have sexual assault scenes so if that's a trigger it's a skip.
hey I appreciate this and more people should do it. I'm cool with a croc biting a dude's arm off or a woman violently imploding 26,000ft below sea level but absolutely don't need to watch more SA in my movies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

End of Days is legit good. You got Gabriel Byrne playing the loving devil. You got Arnold playing a washed out cop. The whole movie seems to think that New York rains 90% of the time. You got a killer ending.

Yeah I have a soft spot for religious horror for whatever reason (I also love the Ninth Gate even though I accept it's not a good movie), and I love Arnold so that movie hit me right in the good part of my brain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Medullah posted:

Yeah I have a soft spot for religious horror for whatever reason (I also love the Ninth Gate even though I accept it's not a good movie), and I love Arnold so that movie hit me right in the good part of my brain.

I recall The Seventh Sign being completely up its own arse.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Going back to our discussion of Tubi trash, last night I was inspired to watch Microwave Massacre. Unfortunately, it's a bloodless, painfully unfunny, mostly boring turd. (Hilariously, I watched a 20-minute making-of featurette afterwards, and apparently the lead actor thought they were making a terse interrogation of the effect of technology on society.)

I will say it's had some great posters/cover art over the years:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I get emails from Tubi all the time with lists of everything that’s leaving the service but it never seems like anything actually does.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crescent Wrench posted:

Going back to our discussion of Tubi trash, last night I was inspired to watch Microwave Massacre. Unfortunately, it's a bloodless, painfully unfunny, mostly boring turd. (Hilariously, I watched a 20-minute making-of featurette afterwards, and apparently the lead actor thought they were making a terse interrogation of the effect of technology on society.)

I will say it's had some great posters/cover art over the years:

Oh my god this poo poo movie lol. I remember watching it and the slow realization as it goes on of like, okay, this is it, this is how the entire movie is going to be, gently caress

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I get emails from Tubi all the time with lists of everything that’s leaving the service but it never seems like anything actually does.

The streaming equivalent of the store that's had the sun-faded "GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE" banner in the window for three years.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Let's Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator is an all-timer of a title but is in the end just a bloodless SOV boring class satire and -importantly - Stephanie is never stuffed in the Incinerator!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

Let's Stuff Stephanie in the Incinerator is an all-timer of a title but is in the end just a bloodless SOV boring class satire and -importantly - Stephanie is never stuffed in the Incinerator!

My friends and I rented this on VHS back in high school based on just the title and were very disappointed with how boring it was. I can’t remember, does ANYONE get stuffed into an incinerator?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Say what you will for the merits of Nail Gun Massacre, at least some dudes get nailgunned

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Microwave massacre is the rare film for which a description is wilder and more interesting than watching the movie. It’s so poorly made it drains all the interest out of its gonzo plot and concepts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

hey I appreciate this and more people should do it. I'm cool with a croc biting a dude's arm off or a woman violently imploding 26,000ft below sea level but absolutely don't need to watch more SA in my movies.

I do my best to add that disclaimer always feel bad when I forget