Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This is an interesting, if somewhat nerdy, insight into how Keith’s Labour machine operates. When you shoot video on Pro Sony Cameras these days you have the option to shoot “log” which is essentially the same as a Raw Still picture - as in it has lots of colour depth and ISO information encoded in it but you need to process it in post production to get the colour palette and “look” that you want. If you don’t process it it just looks like a washed out grey mess.

Now you don’t HAVE to do this, it’s really easy (like one menu click) to just have the camera shoot “normally” where it burns in a preset look to the footage and it’s good to go - looks good without any additional twiddling.

Whoever Keith employs to do all his videos doesn’t know this basic fact. All their videos are shot log with no post processing and thus look like poo poo.

So they’re employing someone cheap, inexperienced and without even a basic understanding of how the camera they’re using works.

https://twitter.com/uncorrectedlog/status/1696713184961298659?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vast swathes of the electorate not only couldn’t give a gently caress about colour saturation in party political videos, but would probably also be glad that a political party isn’t wasting even more money on PR puff videos

And most people won’t even watch the video, so why pay someone with expertise to shoot it when you can get it done cheap?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Labour : why pay a decent wage to someone who knows what they’re doing when you can get it done cheap

Ok

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Well I fully expect to see a "desaturated" approach from a Labour Home Office too, so this fits.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

smellmycheese posted:

Labour : why pay a decent wage to someone who knows what they’re doing when you can get it done cheap

Ok

Hardly anyone knows that this is even a thing that people know that they’re doing right or wrong, almost everyone just thinks cameras take photos and videos and that’s just fine, this is just not something that is indicative of anything about the Labour Party or Keir Starmer whatsoever.

Huge numbers of poo poo policies, right wing pandering, reneging on commitments, all of that matters. Not knowing how to optimally film seconds long clips of bread and parks because it doesn’t matter to anyone except a very small portion of the population is not actually a big deal at all.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Also “Why not Britain?” Is a loving dumb as poo poo tagline for the video, that’s much more egregious, it reminds me of Trump asking “what’ve you got to lose?”

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Has anyone had any experience with credit card chargebacks? Booked a dishwasher repair with a national network, they contacted and sent a local small businessman round who said we needed a part - paid him for the install and the part (he needed to order it), after weeks of chasing he eventually came back, but after leaving I tested the dishwasher again and it was still broken. Since then have got the odd message from him (despite calling, emailing, contacting the network) about coming back but no booking confirmed. Luckily I paid via credit card - he had one of those mini chip and pin machines. Just wondering how successful charge backs often are. I suppose technically I’ve paid for a new part, but I’ve never received a receipt for it, so I’m just out £120 (the payment receipt didn’t specify that £50 was for a part) with a broken dishwasher.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scientastic posted:

Also “Why not Britain?” Is a loving dumb as poo poo tagline for the video, that’s much more egregious, it reminds me of Trump asking “what’ve you got to lose?”

It's also already been answered:

Because it's poo poo, we like that it's poo poo, and if you disagree you can gently caress off

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Was hoping that bit about saturated film was going to be a modern day dodgy dossier reveal and metadata would reveal Keith's plan to sell out to Big Kittenstranglers Inc. The truth somewhat blander.

I understand chargebacks are OK if evidenced and you don't build a profile as someone doing it on the reg?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the unsaturated grey dystopian look is a good coloristic decision for both Britain and a Keith video. Really sets the stage for the first half of a film.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Charge backs are usually fine.

Also good practice not to pay someone unless they actually fix the thing they're supposed to, otherwise they're just a Wallet Inspector with a van

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

smellmycheese posted:

This is an interesting, if somewhat nerdy, insight into how Keith’s Labour machine operates. When you shoot video on Pro Sony Cameras these days you have the option to shoot “log” which is essentially the same as a Raw Still picture - as in it has lots of colour depth and ISO information encoded in it but you need to process it in post production to get the colour palette and “look” that you want. If you don’t process it it just looks like a washed out grey mess.

Now you don’t HAVE to do this, it’s really easy (like one menu click) to just have the camera shoot “normally” where it burns in a preset look to the footage and it’s good to go - looks good without any additional twiddling.

Whoever Keith employs to do all his videos doesn’t know this basic fact. All their videos are shot log with no post processing and thus look like poo poo.

So they’re employing someone cheap, inexperienced and without even a basic understanding of how the camera they’re using works.

https://twitter.com/uncorrectedlog/status/1696713184961298659?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg
There was a really good explanation in one of the CineD threads about why a lot of modern movies look grey and flat and unsaturated, where you never see a proper blue sky or vibrant green tree. The first footage the director sees is uncorrected log rushes, which gives them a mental baseline for what the scene "should" look like. After that, they're reluctant to crank up the colour and contrast too much in case it looks garish compared to what they originally saw.

Unfortunately, because so many films have had this washed-out look on release it's become the new normal, so others then subconsciously use it as a target appearance. :doh:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Lady Gaza posted:

Has anyone had any experience with credit card chargebacks? Booked a dishwasher repair with a national network, they contacted and sent a local small businessman round who said we needed a part - paid him for the install and the part (he needed to order it), after weeks of chasing he eventually came back, but after leaving I tested the dishwasher again and it was still broken. Since then have got the odd message from him (despite calling, emailing, contacting the network) about coming back but no booking confirmed. Luckily I paid via credit card - he had one of those mini chip and pin machines. Just wondering how successful charge backs often are. I suppose technically I’ve paid for a new part, but I’ve never received a receipt for it, so I’m just out £120 (the payment receipt didn’t specify that £50 was for a part) with a broken dishwasher.
I did one years ago, IIRC the bank will ask you to fill out a form with details like the amount, the reason for the chargeback, steps you've attempted to resolve the issue etc.

Fun fact, you can also request a chargeback for debit card purchases although it's not a legal right: https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/our-expertise/cards/chargeback-and-section-75

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

smellmycheese posted:

lool

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Scientastic posted:

Hardly anyone knows that this is even a thing that people know that they’re doing right or wrong, almost everyone just thinks cameras take photos and videos and that’s just fine, this is just not something that is indicative of anything about the Labour Party or Keir Starmer whatsoever.

Huge numbers of poo poo policies, right wing pandering, reneging on commitments, all of that matters. Not knowing how to optimally film seconds long clips of bread and parks because it doesn’t matter to anyone except a very small portion of the population is not actually a big deal at all.

op said right in their post that it was a nerdy insight into party machinery and i for one enjoyed the schadenfreude

i suspect this thread might be a poo poo read if you curated everyone's posts for importance tbh :/

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why bother to fix inequality when you can just magically have a bigger economy and thus a larger tax income

Nothing can match the prosperity of the economies I can imagine

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also people watching the video may not have insight into the technical details of its production but they will know it looks like poo poo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Gort posted:

Why bother to fix inequality when you can just magically have a bigger economy and thus a larger tax income

i can imagine an economy in which people have security of housing and food :)

oh wait that's remembering

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

crispix posted:

i suspect this thread might be a poo poo read if you curated everyone's posts for importance tbh :/

I'm sure it would be, I'm not sure I would equate commenting on something with curation for importance though

You can find it enjoyable, I'm also allowed to think it's a silly non-point that dilutes the effect of more substantive criticism

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Charge backs are usually fine.

Also good practice not to pay someone unless they actually fix the thing they're supposed to, otherwise they're just a Wallet Inspector with a van

Yeah I don’t usually, but this was through a big national network, and only £50 for the part (the £70 call-out was to be paid anyway).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:rolleyes:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I prefer to imagine that they did the post as best they could and he still came out as a grey blob.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i'll bet rach's spads put up that carlsberg ingurlur flag

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Scientastic posted:

a silly non-point that dilutes the effect of more substantive criticism

That's the only thing left.
Everything's hosed, nobody is coming to save us
Opposition has been eviscerated

Nothing to do now other than laugh at the fact they can't even make a good looking video

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Look it's easy, we just take log-Keith:

and give him a bit of that New Labour power:

Okay maybe a bit less;

Think they may just have hosed up filming this one.

Payndz posted:

There was a really good explanation in one of the CineD threads about why a lot of modern movies look grey and flat and unsaturated, where you never see a proper blue sky or vibrant green tree. The first footage the director sees is uncorrected log rushes, which gives them a mental baseline for what the scene "should" look like. After that, they're reluctant to crank up the colour and contrast too much in case it looks garish compared to what they originally saw.

Unfortunately, because so many films have had this washed-out look on release it's become the new normal, so others then subconsciously use it as a target appearance. :doh:

The little screens directors have on-set take a LUT so that they're never really looking at the log footage except by choice, sorry. Cranked black levels is just a trend, probably in part to do with not wanting to be perceived as a murky mess like later seasons of Game of Thrones.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

josh04 posted:

and give him a bit of that New Labour power:

Keith could never pull off the warlock-like power of early Blair. He doesn't have the juice! He's more "mundanity of evil" I guess.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

i'll bet rach's spads put up that carlsberg ingurlur flag

Nuffink more Ingurlish than Carlsberg m8

Scientastic posted:

I'm sure it would be, I'm not sure I would equate commenting on something with curation for importance though

You can find it enjoyable, I'm also allowed to think it's a silly non-point that dilutes the effect of more substantive criticism

I've got some good news for you OP, every post in this thread is speaking to the converted, the criticism being diluted is only being seen by people who already hold Kieth somewhere on a par with the sort of bacteria that only grows in the grimiest public toilet that the council don't even remember exists so hasn't been cleaned since decimalisation of the pound.

Besides, speaking for myself, I have a near bottomless pit of loathing for Sir Kid Starver & his "project" of changing nothing except the rosette the PM wears. I can hate him for cheaping out on video production AND for being the DPP when exculpatory evidence that would have cleared Andrew Malkinson was buried and for being an economic liberal and several dozen other things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Nuffink more Ingurlish than Carlsberg m8
Carlsberg is Anglish :hmmyes:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lady Gaza posted:

I’d go for it. They’re hard to defend even if you’re in the right, and they certainly don’t sound to be.

Someone issued a chargeback for a beer in my bar which they say they never received. To challenge it I was asked for a signed copy of the receipt, and a copy of the back office transactions. As you can imagine that’s basically impossible to provide (especially as everything is contactless), so I’ve had to eat the £4.80 plus a fee to the processor which will be between £5-100. Fun!

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 30, 2023

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Gort posted:

"We lose money on every sale, but we make it up in volume"

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Please no one ever stop posting obscure things that might be of any vague interest that I would otherwise not come across during everyday drudgery

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Chubby Henparty posted:

Please no one ever stop posting obscure things that might be of any vague interest that I would otherwise not come across during everyday drudgery

Ditto.

I've gone down a lot of interesting (to me & obviously the poster) rabbit holes on this forum - from obscure political items to IT stuff to new bands (and Twisto's (PBUH) long London architecture posts)!
But not Monster Munch. I've still never tried it.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've tried it a few times because of the thread.

It's surprisingly sour? Okay but a bit too strong taste for a regular snack.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Lady Gaza posted:

Has anyone had any experience with credit card chargebacks?

I had to do it once because:

1. I tried to buy a Samsung phone with my credit card and it said the card was declined (no reason given). So I bought it with debit card.

2. They sent me two phones and DID charge my credit card, despite them saying it was declined.

3. I returned the credit card one. They then refused to refund me saying that a free case that was sent with it had not been returned (bullshit, it was unopened).

4. After a couple of months of trying to get them to refund, the 'CEO escalation' path on their website, and them saying that they were going to refund me, they still hadn't.

So I did the chargeback with my bank. You get the money back immediately, then they do the investigation and ask for all the details. The forms they provide will probably be inadequate so you'll have to add extra pages. You submit it, they then ask the vendor for their side, they provide the response to you and you get one further opportunity to debunk it. It took about 3 further months before they said that they'd sided with me. Then a YEAR later I got an email from Samsung saying I'd get a refund (which fortunately never came, since that'd mean yet more mess). In conclusion, gently caress Samsung.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Scientastic posted:

Yeah the visual quality of political propaganda is famously a total non-issue that has never had any major impact on politics.

It’s a particularly interesting insight into the LP Media Machine because of just how basic this poo poo is. The difference between log and Rec.709 colour spaces is one of the first things you’d learn as even an amateur videographer/editor. It strikes me that they’ve likely just got some intern to download DaVinci and use a few YouTube tutorials. Particularly with how some of it is obviously ungraded Log and the rest is a total loving mess in terms of the colour grading.

The public might not have words to describe this or consciously know what they’re finding off putting, but they know it looks like a shoddy, unprofessional mess and that matters.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I personally suspect it's one of those things that a bunch of people who don't know what they're doing shoot it that way, someone who doesn't know what they're doing sees it and thinks it looks interesting, and then a third group of people who don't know what they're doing see it and think it's an aesthetic and start deliberately emulating it with even worse post processing.

Meanwhile lighting experts are scromiting and begging everyone to please use lightroom or darktable.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It does accurately capture the soul of Starman - obscured through a dark mirror of fag-smoke in some grim 1990s boozer with a flat roof and only horse-racing on the little CRT screen above the bar

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
this me @ keith party next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I was in The Party, I created a little video out of all the various photos we had of our candidate etc, and posted it on facebook (it was given the thumbs up by all who had got pre-approval and they all - including the candidate - liked it).

Someone in The Party (our CLP) and I don't know who but apparently they were some sort of video-making expert - complained about its production values (well yes basically it was a string of photos with captions) so the committee said I better take it down. Guess what the complainer never got round to doing a 'proper' video.

That said, I don't think many people watch these videos through. FB says make videos 3 mins long for maximum engagement (or did anyway last time I was doing that kind of page management) but most people have quit after 30 seconds!