Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
buy him an account

and then ban+365

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
We are having some work done on our house soon. My wife explained to the contractor that everyone will be masking while they're here. The contractor was initially like "well you know, my guys have fallen out of the habit," but he eventually agreed that it's our house and our rules.

He then mentioned that his grandkids (who are staying at his house) probably have covid, so he won't be able to come here for a bit.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Idk if this is useful to anyone, but considering the state of testing...

https://corporate.walmart.com/newsroom/2023/08/29/walmarts-new-testing-and-treatment-program-empowers-pharmacists-beyond-the-prescription posted:

Walmart’s New Testing and Treatment Program Empowers Pharmacists Beyond the Prescription
(..)
a new program that lets Walmart pharmacists test customers for strep throat, the flu and COVID-19 – then help treat them – all in one place.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Took a short detour from COVID and had a look at strep, after the Danish health authority cancelled tracking the outbreak after numbers looked like this:

That is 9 months above the normal top of the curve and it is worth noting that this isn't down to testing, as invasive group A strep ("Invasive" on the chart) cases are similarly high.

Anyways, amoxicillin shortages continue and now that school is back it is unlikely to abate.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amoxicillin-shortage-antibiotic-children-infections/ posted:

Shortage of common antibiotic used to treat kids' infections frustrates parents
AUGUST 25

So here is the AAP advice:
"Amoxicillin Shortage: Antibiotic Options for Common Pediatric Conditions"

https://www.aap.org/en/pages/amoxicillin-shortage-antibiotic-options-for-common-pediatric-conditions/ posted:

There is a national shortage of amoxicillin suspensions that is anticipated to last several months. See below for alternative therapies during the shortage.
  • Preferentially prescribe amoxicillin tablets, capsules, or chew tabs for children able to take these formulations. These have NOT been impacted by the shortage. Attempt to round doses (+/- 10%) to 125 mg, 250 mg, 500 mg, 750 mg, 875 mg, or 1000 mg.
    • Products available:
      • Tablets: 500 mg, 875 mg
      • Capsules: 250 mg, 500 mg
      • Chew tabs: 250 mg
    • Tablets can be split/crushed to mix with any liquid or semisolid, like applesauce. This can be given orally or by tube.
      • Capsules can be opened and mixed with any liquid or semisolid, like applesauce. This can be given orally or by tube.
      • Chew tabs can be split.
  • When amoxicillin cannot be used, consider the following alternatives:
(..)

Which, idk, seems dire. But might be useful to know for the parents out there.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Idk if this is useful to anyone, but considering the state of testing...

quote:

Right now, the service is cash-only as we prepare to bill third-party insurance plans, but we’re glad to be accepting health savings accounts and plan to accept third-party coverage in the future. Currently, the price starts around $133 depending on the service provided – you just don't have to make any additional trips after.

:thanks:. Wonder if they can prescribe Paxlovid though.

Speaking of the unclear phrasing around whether those are three separate tests or one, are there any other flu + cold + covid tests even trying to get FDA approval besides the existing-in-limbo Luciras?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
In case the Americans feel that it is only their government moving at a glacial pace on vaccines, this news item was posted ~½ hour ago:

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...b15-2023-08-30/ posted:

EU regulator backs Pfizer's updated COVID vaccine for XBB.1.5 variant

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

:thanks:. Wonder if they can prescribe Paxlovid though.
(..)
As I understand it they should technically be able to, following the test-to-treat change.

eXXon posted:

(..)
Speaking of the unclear phrasing around whether those are three separate tests or one, are there any other flu + cold + covid tests even trying to get FDA approval besides the existing-in-limbo Luciras?
There are, but I don't recall any for the consumer market. As an example:
https://www.thermofisher.com/us/en/...-multiplex.html

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:16 on Aug 30, 2023

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Pingui posted:

It's not great but I wouldn't call it necessarily dire. I am not a medical doctor but I did look at antibiotics prescriptions for diseases of early childhood as part of a larger project and things like acute otitis media have a dozen possible antibiotic regimens (and honestly should probably not be treated with antibiotics as commonly as we do to begin with).

Obviously it's not a good sign for the health of our entire medical system that we seem to keep having shortages of random essential drugs like antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs, however.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rosalind posted:

It's not great but I wouldn't call it necessarily dire. I am not a medical doctor but I did look at antibiotics prescriptions for diseases of early childhood as part of a larger project and things like acute otitis media have a dozen possible antibiotic regimens (and honestly should probably not be treated with antibiotics as commonly as we do to begin with).

Obviously it's not a good sign for the health of our entire medical system that we seem to keep having shortages of random essential drugs like antibiotics and chemotherapy drugs, however.

I meant specifically having shortages and subsequent advice before the season even (nominally) starts.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Tulip posted:

I still can't believe that there's a Dick Zoutman in this world. What a miracle we were blessed with.

You can't tell me the world isn't funny

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

:ohdear:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Write-in vote for the Biden living in the RW rabbit hole.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What was the thread favorite travel air filter again. Might have some use for one pretty soon.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Mola Yam posted:

buy him an account

and then ban+365

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Pingui posted:

Anyways, amoxicillin shortages continue and now that school is back it is unlikely to abate.

have they considered prescribing half-courses to save on antibiotics instead? a lot of the time people start feeling better pretty quick but they still have pills left that they take for no reason. seems to me like an obvious solution without any drawbacks whatsoever

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

:yeshaha:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

What was the thread favorite travel air filter again. Might have some use for one pretty soon.

until we can get some PPE libraries up and running, the best air purifier is a “defective” one ordered to your accommodations from Amazon and returned on your way home.

FOR THE SAD READER: this is meant to be a humorous post and I do not advocate fraud or violating the terms of service of any service you make use of. I know how serious those things are and I don’t want to be misinterpreted in my advice to avoid a deadly airborne virus!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

saw that article on my work computer when I opened up a new tab in microsoft edge and I also saw how biden is gonna implement VACCINE MANDATES and MASK MANDATES and also that there is gonna be a new covid "Mini-wave"

no wonder people get all deranged about everything

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

I don't get the shortage in antibiotics. Just order more off Amazon, it's not that hard.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

if it's good enough for goldfish, it's good enough for my children.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

NeonPunk posted:

I don't get the shortage in antibiotics. Just order more off Amazon, it's not that hard.

You joke but thanks to the dystopian wonder that is Amazon Pharmacy:

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

:negative:

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Pingui posted:

Took a short detour from COVID and had a look at strep, after the Danish health authority cancelled tracking the outbreak after numbers looked like this:

That is 9 months above the normal top of the curve and it is worth noting that this isn't down to testing, as invasive group A strep ("Invasive" on the chart) cases are similarly high.

Still no COVID as far as we know but my kid has had strep three times this year

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

nexous posted:

I got a giant head and my secureclick would have fit and I don’t think it has any metal but I’m not about to argue with my tech. I gladly took off my mask when it was just me and her because whatever, it’s just surprising when a bunch more people barged in.

I just knew it was wrong because it hurt and I didn’t feel like I was peeing. arms getting red and itchy hope it doesn’t get any worse because lol.

Sucks, sorry man. The last time I had an MRI for some gut imaging a few years ago I got a massive reaction from the contrast at the injection site. If it keeps up try and get a topical steroid Rx from an urgent care or your PCP(lol good luck with that).

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
covid Kim is BACK

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
it's extra hilarious because the Republican dominated legislature in Iowa already made any sort of restrictions extremely illegal

(also, she brought back restrictions in the winter of 2020 but that's entirely memory-holed now)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Do people actually worry about this or just go to bed and sleep soundly knowing they're definitely totally hosed

I hate that racist old piece of poo poo so loving much and have for over 30 years at this point.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Rebecca Watson continues to do the lord's work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZUMMkiyy4

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rosalind posted:

amazon has created a tiny pharma insurance program inside amazon prime lmao

quote:

If you’re a Prime member and paying more that $5 a month for all of your medications, RxPass could help you save. RxPass isn’t insurance, but it can be helpful for those without insurance, or when insurance doesn’t cover certain medications. Many people with diabetes, high blood pressure, and anxiety will find their medications are eligible with RxPass.

RxPass is a benefit for Prime members that gives subscribers access to the most common generic medications for a flat fee of $5 a month. Subscribers can get all their prescribed medications on the RxPass list filled as often as they need for one flat monthly fee. RxPass also works with auto-refill so that you get all your eligible prescriptions automatically for no more than $5 a month.

oh sorry it's not insurance it's just a flat fee you pay into a pool with other subscribers to receive included benefits when and if you need them

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

My "RxPass is not insurance" shirt is raising a lot of questions that are already answered by my "RxPass is not insurance" shirt

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
holy poo poo!

https://twitter.com/DrScottHadland/status/1696885676459897018?t=PbU4RBcRcld8027SeiHUWA&s=19

but $45 a dose so gently caress YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RxPass is not on the nose enough until they offer discounted season passes, bespoke DLC and cosmetic microtransactions.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

eXXon posted:

RxPass is not on the nose enough until they offer discounted season passes, bespoke DLC and cosmetic microtransactions.

I ran out of Amazon Coins buying RxPassChests; the drop rate on paxlovid is only like 0.2% and i keep getting molnupiravir and rapid test consumables.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It's going to be in one of those anti-theft containers too, isn't it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
what's the shelf life on Narcan, is it a particularly unstable molecule?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

hi covid thread

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

what's the shelf life on Narcan, is it a particularly unstable molecule?

Yeah the length of time it stays good for will determine for me if I buy some or not, I can't remember what it's expiry dates were like back when I did the emt life.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Zugzwang posted:

It's going to be in one of those anti-theft containers too, isn't it.

the people who need it the most are the most likely to steal it, so yes, absolutely.

capitalism ftw

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

They are going to make you take a little paper card to the pharmacy counter, wait in the prescription pickup line, scan your driver's license, and then the pharm tech gets to judge you harshly as she grabs you the Narcan off a shelf in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Roommate has strep, so, actually not sick with covid.

Rosalind posted:

Incredible