Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Last time I tried to play Crosscode it made me motion sick for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have Golden Sun Dark Dawn and wish I could record DS footage because I would gladly show video of me taking a boat back to an earlier continent at the end of the game. I know you can't get back to Isaac's house and one of the city's put up their gates because of the shadow monster invasion but aside from that I'm pretty sure you can go wherever you like.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

Suikoden 1 + 2 officially delayed until next year, just like Eiyuden

For the best, I think. That initial footage was pretty rough.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
yeah I liked crosscode but you need to actually like the game it is, and not just like the fun portraits and sometimes-goofy, sometimes-compelling plot. honestly probably the other way around would work: someone who loved "zelda from hell, but with balls" and mashed A past the dialogue would probably enjoy the game more than someone drawn into the story but left cold by the dungeons. because the game really is a lot. and the overworld is really just a bunch more big dungeons too

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CrossCode is definitely a lot but I am here for everything it is a lot of.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, Crosscode dungeons own. I kinda go back and forth on how much I like the combat, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i will say i never could quite get the controls how i wanted them. playing with kb/m felt great for shooting, but never quite right for melee. and playing with controller made me feel like my shooting wasnt precise enough compared to kb/m. otherwise though i really enjoyed it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
someone had a play crosscode sign at wembley during aew all in, i saw it while watching video, this is my crosscode story

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Einander posted:

I feel like so much of the conversation on this last page has been hipster reversal-of-bad-opinion. Friction isn't inherently bad! In fact, it's inherently good! Except no, actually, why would you thin that? Friction with a point is good, friction with an intent is good. If you forget to incorporate proper clearance for the gears of your clock, it certainly has friction, and that also means it's a really lovely clock.

On the other hand, a brake pad having friction is good. On the other hand, toilet paper having friction makes my rear end chafe. Much to think about in terms of game design here

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

nrook posted:

say what you will about crosscode but it’s definitely giving you something you didn’t get on the snes
Zelda?

[e] oh I see you expounded on the Zelda aspect in a later post nm!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
funny nrook brings up zelda because i think crosscode gets immediately better after it ditches that style of design. the first two major bosses (giant robot and super moth) have extremely zelda-style designs, both using new mechanics from their dungeons as the only way to interact with the boss at all. i dont think they're terrible bosses, but the difference in quality between them and later fights is insane. starting with the duel after the raid sequence every boss has much more variety in their attack patterns and a way more interesting flow of combat that actually fits an action rpg

i think every boss in the game is better than the previous, which is kinda nuts when i was already totally hooked by the first sun wukong fight. the ku'lero temple finale is no joking around one of the coolest sequences i've played in any video game ever

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Sea of Stars seems pretty enough but... eh, kinda put Chained Echoes on the backburner precisely because I feel like the game needs a little more than just a nostalgia trip

That and the Baten Kaitos Remaster comes out in a couple of weeks and I should probably try to actually play those games for the first time

Oxxidation posted:

tales of vesperia’s missables traumatized a generation

It was cool missing some sword or some poo poo for Yuri in a quick segment in one of the starting towns and not being able to use loving backstep for 15 hours.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I went into CrossCode wanting like 20% puzzles and 80% fighting and got 70% puzzles, 20% incredibly annoying platforming, and 10% fighting. It's a beautifully crafted game that has a lot of love and effort put into it but it's absolutely not what I wanted at all so I set it down after like two dungeons.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if you're in the desert or autumn's fall wondering when crosscode is going to get good, i would strongly recommend playing until at least the raid sequence and the mini arc that follows it. it's not that far away and it starts the part of the game that makes people (like me) completely insane about that game

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zokari posted:

wow i permanently missed being able to get a character's ultimate weapon because i didn't talk to some random npc at the right time, my gaming experience has been vastly improved by this
I'm pretty sure I went to places in the wrong order in Elden Ring (you know, a wide open world where you can go wherever you want) and bricked Boc's quest before I even knew he had one.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Araxxor posted:

CrossCode is a good game but it does not know the concept of what a breather is and as a result you pretty much have to be in a very active mindset at all times once a dungeon starts. It can get pretty exhausting for quite a few people.
Everything in Cross Code takes about ten times longer to do than you expect, whether it's combat, doing overworld/town exploration, sidequests, and especially dungeons. You have to have so much time, patience, and energy for any one thing and be sure you can commit to it before you wrap up lest you risk forgetting the solutions you needed to proceed. In my case I just got burnt out by the 2nd or 3rd major dungeon.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MechaX posted:

Sea of Stars seems pretty enough but... eh, kinda put Chained Echoes on the backburner precisely because I feel like the game needs a little more than just a nostalgia trip

Yeah, I'm ~1.5 hours in and so far, the game seems incredibly like it's just going through the beats it thinks an RPG needs to go through, but it's not doing anything interesting and surprising with that. Boring story, the first dungeon was a series of "go to this room and press the switch and go to the next room". I knew the writing would be bad from playing The Messenger, but there's a lot more of it here.

It's gorgeous and the combat is so far fun enough that I'm going to keep playing, but the game hasn't really made a strong case for why it needs to exist yet. It feels like they made a throwback 16 bit RPG because they sat around a table and landed on that idea, not because they had a strong idea or concept for a game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I am enjoying it but also it makes me want to go play CrossCode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Everything in Cross Code takes about ten times longer to do than you expect, whether it's combat, doing overworld/town exploration, sidequests, and especially dungeons. You have to have so much time, patience, and energy for any one thing and be sure you can commit to it before you wrap up lest you risk forgetting the solutions you needed to proceed. In my case I just got burnt out by the 2nd or 3rd major dungeon.

This was my experience of the game, there's no valleys just peaks. I got exhausted by the time of the first dungeon from the constant multi-room platforming navigation puzzles alone, and I love doing a weird janky platforming puzzle in a game not designed for them

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Yeah, I'm ~1.5 hours in and so far, the game seems incredibly like it's just going through the beats it thinks an RPG needs to go through, but it's not doing anything interesting and surprising with that. Boring story, the first dungeon was a series of "go to this room and press the switch and go to the next room". I knew the writing would be bad from playing The Messenger, but there's a lot more of it here.

It's gorgeous and the combat is so far fun enough that I'm going to keep playing, but the game hasn't really made a strong case for why it needs to exist yet. It feels like they made a throwback 16 bit RPG because they sat around a table and landed on that idea, not because they had a strong idea or concept for a game.

I'm in the same boat, game looks great and the combat systems seem promising but so far I'm not seeing when the game really picks up or why it's been rated so highly, but again it's pretty early. I will concur that the writing is rough and sometimes feels like characters are talking as if they are texting each other--there's a lot of missing commas. It's a miniscule thing but it does take you out of the experience with things like Valere saying "I'm overjoyed you're here" and her portrait is just on her stoic face.

I think some devs remember Chrono Trigger in the wrong ways i.e. "oh it had good graphics and characters/good battle system, limited enemy encounters instead of random battles" but really in reality it set a high bar with music, exploration, and world building. One thing I see from indie RPG games is the perceived need to put NPCs and empty spaces all over but not having any purpose to them. I.e. in Chrono Trigger you could stray off the beaten path at the start and speak to other people but they'd usually have interesting things to add or teach, and there'd be stuff to collect or come back to. Sea Of Stars has a lot of useless big spaces/rooms/buildings with nothing in them at the start except like 1 single villager who says nothing interesting.

I'm anticipating more to improve once I get to some towns and interesting areas but so far beyond the combat system and great art, the game doesn't feel any different from other indie rpgs I've tried.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I like the combat in Sea of Stars, especially when boosting is introduced. It adds a bit of complexity to it that makes it more than just "The ice enemies are weak to fire and robots are weak to lightning"

Also re: missables, I remember playing Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny decades ago - after getting through the first area, I was in a jungle that was just completing wrecking my poo poo constantly, there were common enemies that I could just not kill, I had no idea what to do. Found a guide somewhere, pre-gamefaqs I'm pretty sure, and it turns out I had missed a hidden path in the first zone or something that had a really big area that also contained a Prism Sword, which is what you actually need if you want to take on anything tougher than a mosquito. Miss that blade? Lol

Granted, also a very good chance I was playing the game wrong as I was a child that had been raised mostly on Nintendo games, but man, that really soured me on it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

DLC Inc posted:

One thing I see from indie RPG games is the perceived need to put NPCs and empty spaces all over but not having any purpose to them.

This reminds me of all those people who said that ChatGPT would be great for filling in NPC dialog. Like, why are you putting NPCs in your game if you don't care what they're saying? Why do they exist, why does the pointless dialog need to exist?

Not saying this game uses AI-generated dialog, but I feel like the impulse you are describing will eventually lead to that.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'm assuming dark dawn (and the lost age from what i remember) put the blacksmith at the very back of a somewhat large area to discourage save scumming, but i wish it hadn't

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Clarste posted:

This reminds me of all those people who said that ChatGPT would be great for filling in NPC dialog. Like, why are you putting NPCs in your game if you don't care what they're saying? Why do they exist, why does the pointless dialog need to exist?

There's no real logic to anything created by ChatGPT, and I feel like the people who really vouch for chatgpt are those who can't really understand that and are entertained by walls of text.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gotta mention Shadow Hearts 2 again for NPCs, I love that all of them had names and titles/descriptions even if most of them didn't have anything super useful to say.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I don’t expect Undertale levels of flavor from random NPC’s but Sea of Stars is one step above “welcome to Corneria,” surely we can do better

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://youtu.be/FNJH-2jtw9Y?si=Kp_qp12FF-7eZjKD

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Looper posted:

i'm assuming dark dawn (and the lost age from what i remember) put the blacksmith at the very back of a somewhat large area to discourage save scumming, but i wish it hadn't

Nah, in Lost Age the blacksmith was a different NPC whose house was near the entrance to the town I think? At worst the issue is the town being very southeast of the world map. The Dark Dawn blacksmith in Lost Age was just involved in a boss fight and forging the plot item to enter Lemuria which was the end of the first part.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm about an hour into Sea of Stars and feel the same as everyone ITT

I wonder if they'll improve the text and patch it at some point. I get that the devs probably aren't native English speakers, but it's a pretty persistent issue and I've only just started the game. idk, maybe it doesn't bother most people that much

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh fukken sick

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Nah, in Lost Age the blacksmith was a different NPC whose house was near the entrance to the town I think? At worst the issue is the town being very southeast of the world map. The Dark Dawn blacksmith in Lost Age was just involved in a boss fight and forging the plot item to enter Lemuria which was the end of the first part.

oh i know they're two different people, i just mean the act of running to them, handing them one material, running back to the world map, and then running back to them to get the item is tedious!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Clarste posted:

Not saying this game uses AI-generated dialog, but I feel like the impulse you are describing will eventually lead to that.

any game that implements chatNPCs will end up like pillars of eternitys backer characters. people will talk to them up to the point they realize the dialogue is meaningless as well as poorly written at which point theyll never talk to an npc again. except where in pillars you could just avoid gold characters itll be for every NPC.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

tales of vesperia’s missables traumatized a generation

It wasn't until the remaster came out a few years ago that I finally succeeded in getting the Brionac.

It was my fourth time through the game. :shepicide:

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

I was so hyped for CrossCode and I ended up being kinda lukewarm on it, for these reasons. The level scaling and combat eventually felt frustrating and the gear/money system was bizarrely annoying. I got to the end dungeon and got bored and gave up. It’s a shame cause I loved everything else about it :shrug:

Edit: dual-stick reticule controls on switch also weren’t great, I’m sure it’s better with kbm honestly

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm about an hour into Sea of Stars and feel the same as everyone ITT

I wonder if they'll improve the text and patch it at some point. I get that the devs probably aren't native English speakers, but it's a pretty persistent issue and I've only just started the game. idk, maybe it doesn't bother most people that much

If you have something compelling to say, that generally gets through even if the translation is bad. If it just boring though, that means they had nothing to say in the first place.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Clarste posted:

If you have something compelling to say, that generally gets through even if the translation is bad. If it just boring though, that means they had nothing to say in the first place.

It's not a translation, it's just badly written in English by non-native speakers. The French option in the game is very obviously translated from the English.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

There's no real logic to anything created by ChatGPT, and I feel like the people who really vouch for chatgpt are those who can't really understand that and are entertained by walls of text.

According to all the facebook ads ive seen the main use of chatGPT is avoiding having to talk to your girlfriend

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's not a translation, it's just badly written in English by non-native speakers. The French option in the game is very obviously translated from the English.

weird if so, the team seems to be based in Quebec

I don't know how expensive or time consuming it is to get it proofread, but it seems like a bit of a waste to have a script like this when the rest of the game seems so lovingly made

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Isn't the dev Canadian? And specifically French Canadian at that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Oh that looks neat- wait it's from the person who made Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass? Oh hell yeah I'll be keeping an eye on that!