Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's a stargate. They'd use USB-C but still explode if you put in in the wrong way round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is more a comedy/procedural thing: It's not unheard of for popular shows to get international market remakes.

Was SG1 so popular worldwide to make that not really needed, or was there enough of a gap in larger markets for someone to sort of bypass the movie and jump straight into remaking Stargate-for-TV from scratch for a foreign market with a non-US setting and cast? Maybe negotiate with reusing effects, footage, props, models, etc. from the US production.

Because I'm always interested what a 'remade totally for/by a foreign market' would look like for certain franchises, and with the show having such a positive US Military perspective, I can't help but wonder if some markets would see this and go, "Can you imagine how big this could be in ______ if the characters were working for the _______ military?!"

edit: I guess we'll always have the anime "GATE".

Can you give me an example of an American show getting remade for a foreign market? I can't think of any.

I can think of several British shows that got remade for the American market.

There was a whole Russian Stargate arc in SG:1, but that wouldn't play very well these days. An EU based SGC would be pretty cool.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

redshirt posted:

Can you give me an example of an American show getting remade for a foreign market? I can't think of any.

There was a whole Russian Stargate arc in SG:1, but that wouldn't play very well these days. An EU based SGC would be pretty cool.

I can't remember the name, but Russia remade Married With Children.

There's even a statue of the Russian Al Bundy in like Yekaterinburg, which is a helluva thing to learn from a show about the Dyatlov Pass Incident.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Russian Al Bundy would be a powerful username

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Here's the statue

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

redshirt posted:

The most notable is Breaking Bad getting made into a near shot for shot Spanish-language remake in Metastasis.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'll admit the _____-to-US pipeline is more active, but shows like Law and Order got a UK remake, and there's now a Canadian-set series in the works I'm suspecting is for the CA audience. There was also some documentary several years ago about an attempt to remake Everyone Loves Raymond for the Russian market, I think. Breaking Bad has recently gotten a foreign remake, too.

Korea seems to be doing a few remakes of Western shows, from what I can tell (Suits, Criminal Minds, Entourage).

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Here's the statue

That's amazing. A humble shoe salesman.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i wonder if this translates well

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'll admit the _____-to-US pipeline is more active, but shows like Law and Order got a UK remake, and there's now a Canadian-set series in the works I'm suspecting is for the CA audience. There was also some documentary several years ago about an attempt to remake Everyone Loves Raymond for the Russian market, I think. Breaking Bad has recently gotten a foreign remake, too.

Korea seems to be doing a few remakes of Western shows, from what I can tell (Suits, Criminal Minds, Entourage).

There's also all of those reality tv shows. I guess those count.

GolfHole posted:

i wonder if this translates well

No girls allowed?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

itry posted:

There's also all of those reality tv shows. I guess those count.

No girls allowed?

oh so much for my googling

itry
Aug 23, 2019

No, I was just guessing.

According to google it means "EKATERINBURG FIGHTERS FOR MERCILESS ABSOLUTE BABY EXTERMINATION" which is :chloe: Edit: And the БЕЗ БАБ part is "w/o bab" which I guess is "no babes allowed"?

Also what does it have to do with Stargate?

itry fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 30, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Who's worse: Pete, or that Ascended stalker guy?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I'm sure I'll be able to answer that once I actually recall who or what Pete is.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

itry posted:

I'm sure I'll be able to answer that once I actually recall who or what Pete is.

The cop that Sam dated. I think he may have had her followed or followed her for not buying her cover story. I might be mixing that plot point up with Breaking Bad now that I'm thinking of it but he was totally a cop!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

No I'm pretty sure you're right and he had a stalker-ish arc as well. Apparently it was in the Osiris episode where Daniel's old advisor died.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

redshirt posted:

Who's worse: Pete, or that Ascended stalker guy?

Well, Pete's a cop, so...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

The cop that Sam dated. I think he may have had her followed or followed her for not buying her cover story. I might be mixing that plot point up with Breaking Bad now that I'm thinking of it but he was totally a cop!

He not only followed her (and ruined a stake out), but he also called a cop buddy to look up Sam. Even though she told him she was working on classified stuff and couldn't tell him anything.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Panzeh posted:

The most notable is Breaking Bad getting made into a near shot for shot Spanish-language remake in Metastasis.

Are they gonna use the piss yellow bad place filter on the America scenes and normal lighting in the Mexico scenes?

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

redshirt posted:

There was a short lived* Law and Order UK.

*just checked and it's been going on for 8 seasons.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

pixaal posted:

Not only a stalker, but an unmemorable one. I think we have our answer.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

itry posted:

Not only a stalker, but an unmemorable one. I think we have our answer.

He bought them a house without even discussing it with her. So weird!

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Pete was the most accurate portrayal of a cop in modern media.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

redshirt posted:

He bought them a house without even discussing it with her. So weird!

Yeah, that was super creep. Forgot about that bit.

One fun but of trivia is that the actor who played Pete is a DeLuise.

The entire DeLuise clan was involved with Stargate, thanks to Peter.

Of course Dom played Urgo, so fantastic.

Dom's son Peter directed a bunch of Stargate episodes: SG-1, Atlantis & even some Universe. He was also a producer and creative consultant on them. I think he's even on screen in an episode or two.

David DeLuise played stalker cop Pete.

Michael DeLuise played the actor portraying Jack in Wormhole Extreme!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aragosta posted:

Yeah, that was super creep. Forgot about that bit.

One fun but of trivia is that the actor who played Pete is a DeLuise.

The entire DeLuise clan was involved with Stargate, thanks to Peter.

Of course Dom played Urgo, so fantastic.

Dom's son Peter directed a bunch of Stargate episodes: SG-1, Atlantis & even some Universe. He was also a producer and creative consultant on them. I think he's even on screen in an episode or two.

David DeLuise played stalker cop Pete.

Michael DeLuise played the actor portraying Jack in Wormhole Extreme!

Yeah it's pretty cool how involved that entire family was in the show. Peter DeLuise directed a ton of episodes I think, like maybe the most?

But then there's Pete (David). He had some superficial charm, but the creeper behavior was way over the top. And frankly, he wasn't good enough for Sam.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also, I know there's only so many actors in the greater Vancouver region, but really, you couldn't hire a different actor to play Dr. Weir's husband than the guy who played the Tollan Narim? The guy who had a puppy dog crush on Sam?

Very jarring to see him on SGA.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

redshirt posted:

Also, I know there's only so many actors in the greater Vancouver region, but really, you couldn't hire a different actor to play Dr. Weir's husband than the guy who played the Tollan Narim? The guy who had a puppy dog crush on Sam?

Very jarring to see him on SGA.

Yeah, that bothered me too.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aragosta posted:

Yeah, that bothered me too.

There's a few other double casts (same actor playing different characters), but none of them popped out like Narim. Like, he was pretty well known on SG-1.

As opposed to the one computer expert on that planet where computers run everything and they don't really understand how it works. The lead guy there plays a lead Althosian on Atlantis, but both are pretty small, non-important roles.

Narim was our main Tollan guy. And sorta creeper on Sam.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i got up to the hathor episode. from the heart of darkness to the hathor episode all the episodes were pretty good. hathor is the 3rd worst episode so far but it isnt as bad as the heart of darkness one. the mongol stays in the worst episode slot.

but im sure she is going to be a reoccuring villian considering she got away to teal'cs homeworld

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 2, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

i got up to the hathor episode. from the heart of darkness to the hathor episode all the episodes were pretty good. hathor is the 3rd worst episode so far but it isnt as bad as the heart of darkness one. the mongol stays in the worst episode slot.

I liked the Hathor episode even though I can see why people think it's bad.

"Girls Get it Done! (and Teal'c)"

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

I liked the Hathor episode even though I can see why people think it's bad.

"Girls Get it Done! (and Teal'c)"

yeah the later half was pretty good but the opening scene and her getting control was bad. once the girls got out of the jail it was all good. i think she might be a good reoccuring villian if she is one. they set her up as a sort of down the line problem or possibly mini boss before apothis

the first half of the heart of darkness one is great though then the last half sucks once sam is captured by her ex fiance. s1 definatly has more good then bad though

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 2, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

yeah the later half was pretty good but the opening scene and her getting control was bad. once the girls got out of the jail it was all good. i think she might be a good reoccuring villian if she is one. they set her up as a sort of down the line problem or possibly mini boss before apothis

the first half of the heart of darkness one is great though then the last half sucks once sam is captured by her ex fiance. s1 definatly has more good then bad though

I can't wait till you hit the end of Season 1.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

redshirt posted:

I can't wait till you hit the end of Season 1.

For real, those last 3 episodes are great.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Aragosta posted:

For real, those last 3 episodes are great.

There's even a clip episode, right?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

redshirt posted:

There's a few other double casts (same actor playing different characters), but none of them popped out like Narim. Like, he was pretty well known on SG-1.

As opposed to the one computer expert on that planet where computers run everything and they don't really understand how it works. The lead guy there plays a lead Althosian on Atlantis, but both are pretty small, non-important roles.

Narim was our main Tollan guy. And sorta creeper on Sam.

IIRC, they also cast the alien archaeologist from Window of Opportunity as an SGA SG1 S9 or S10 scientist in that episode where everyone falls asleep because of some bug. Which normally wouldn't be a problem... except he gave such a great performance in such an "iconic" episode that it felt really weird to see him again playing an expedition biologist or w/e.

itry fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 3, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
It's neat seeing pre-Saw Tobin Bell get an episode. That costume made him look a little chubby in a charming way.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

emSparkly posted:

It's neat seeing pre-Saw Tobin Bell get an episode. That costume made him look a little chubby in a charming way.

Tollans are high on their own farts.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

End of season 4 and start of season 5 is where they really let RDA go wild with his performances. So many little facial expressions and comments. You really get the sense he's an old dude who's just kind of done with playing the nice colonel

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Lots of Trek actors had parts on SG:1 I loved Troi's role as bigwig Russian scientist in charge of the secret Gate program. But needs help. And Daniel Jackson is super snarky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Watching Between Two Fires now. Massive fan of Sam opening her palm for the holographic projection, and then turning the disk so it's facing her. There's no need to do that - it's obviously all CGI - but it's a little touch that makes it feel real.