Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She will turn the saber off with the force just before it stabs her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Alternatively, it goes in the opposite extreme direction and Sabine accidentally doesn’t realize her own power and she uses the Force to accidentally rip someone’s face clean off their head and everybody goes “Oh poo poo!” as she apologizes for going overboard with said antagonist.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Gonz posted:

Alternatively, it goes in the opposite extreme direction and Sabine accidentally doesn’t realize her own power and she uses the Force to accidentally rip someone’s face clean off their head and everybody goes “Oh poo poo!” as she apologizes for going overboard with said antagonist.

Isn't that just this with even fewer consequences

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'm not terribly into Star Wars youtubers, let alone recommending them, but this one sounded interesting for:
  • Decoding the text of the credits map.
  • Cool theory about what that could mean for the Ahsoka future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxNj-y36dSg
Posted as a link because maybe there are spoilers in the thumbnail.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Most Star Wars “lasers” are actually more similar to plasma bolts* so they probably can just adjust the energy so it destabilizes and explodes at a set distance.

* Slower than light, uses exotic gasses as ammo/medium, explodes and/or leaves burns on targets, etc.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

trevorreznik posted:

Isn't that just this

Precisely. Just on a smaller, more body horror-esque scale.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

HootTheOwl posted:

Force Smug, Force S-Mug
"All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. This is my boomlightstick!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

I enjoyed the whole WW2 dogfighting sequences, but boy the show really wants me to hate the New Republic, huh?
Thank the sequel trilogy (or even just TFA, really) for requiring the New Republic to be utterly ineffective so as to explain away the rise of the First Order. At least that's my take.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Gonz posted:

This also tracks with her history of underestimating her power and tendency to be highly destructive. I'm feeling the weak lovely jedi angle though, forever not good enough for Huyang.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gonz posted:

Precisely. Just on a smaller, more body horror-esque scale.

The Force Torsion Twist.

I apologize to everyone with testicles, yes I winced too writing that one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So she could be like Corran Horn from the EU. He really struggled with force powers at first because his militant background made him subconsciously think of the force as basically a “weapon”, something to be pulled out only when you seriously intended to use it in situations of life or death.

I guess that would be ok. I kinda liked that angle with Corran, but I think I’d prefer her to just remain weak with force powers but learn the philosophical and mental training.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mon Mothma being an utterly terrible leader could be played up on in Andor 2. I like that Andor is kind of its own thing, but there is an opportunity there to show why the New Republic was doomed from the start = if they correctly plant the political seeds from the old Rebellion.

It's also kind of funny that Hera is the entire reason Mon was able to give that speech and unite the Rebellion and was standing right next to her when she did it. Hera should really have the pull to get whatever she needs, whenever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ideally Sabine finds some happy medium between Mandalorian and Jedi (especially since she has a lot more experience with the former and I’m not entirely sure why she decided to study the ways of the latter in the first place aside from her having some prior experience using a lightsaber)

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I definitely have some complaints about the pacing, certain actions shots, and some of the characterization, but I have to say that that pounding cello credits theme fucks

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And in Resistance, his whole thing is downplaying the threat the First Order play.

He's the Star Wars version of the mayor from Jaws, only in Star Wars, Amity Island is blown up by a giant space laser.

Sharks with frickin death star laser beams.

MMAgCh posted:

"All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. This is my boomlightstick!"

Sounds like you're trying to sell rebranded death sticks. With all the puzzle/map stuff this season maybe 'Ash'oka will have to remember to say the magic words.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Don’t worry, I’m sure in an episode or two Hera will show up in the Ghost with her two unruly kids and maybe even Zeb and his husband Kallus in tow.

Maybe even a geriatric Rex in a wheel chair or weaponized mobility walker. :v:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MMAgCh posted:

Thank the sequel trilogy (or even just TFA, really) for requiring the New Republic to be utterly ineffective so as to explain away the rise of the First Order. At least that's my take.
Oh I know. We've also seen it last season in Mando where the New Republic is ineffectual at best, and at worst is into brainwashing people that don't comply.

At least now I don't feel bad that they got their poo poo hosed in TFA

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it's no secret mon mothma and subsequently the new republic are democrats

Gonz posted:

hopefully it's very colorful because it's sabine

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I find myself hoping that there won't be some big dramatic moment where Sabine finally figures out how to actually use the Force, but that the show settles on keeping her merely Force sensitive, with her training and technology making up the difference. Almost like a Mandalorian version of Chirrut.

Hell, just call it a variant of battle meditation on a much smaller scale.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Larryb posted:

Ideally Sabine finds some happy medium between Mandalorian and Jedi (especially since she has a lot more experience with the former and I’m not entirely sure why she decided to study the ways of the latter in the first place aside from her having some prior experience using a lightsaber)

Something tells me she misses her dorky little jedi bro. Feels natural for her to try to connect with the weird thing that he did, the force. And Ahsoka was around to give it a shot I guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

site posted:

hopefully it's very colorful because it's sabine

She should get the party saber from Jedi Survivor.

Or a paintsaber so she can temporarily blind Shin with a shot to the eyes and scrawl a quick gang tag on her

404notfound posted:

I definitely have some complaints about the pacing, certain actions shots, and some of the characterization, but I have to say that that pounding cello credits theme fucks

Yeah this is where I’m at, especially the credits music

I think the pacing kinda works and kinda not. It’s obviously going for something a bit more deliberate and stately than Clone Wars/Rebels. You could see this kind of thing in Tales of the Jedi as well. I think it’s probably Filoni trying to learn to make stuff that isn’t exclusively marketed to children by drawing on the kind of Kurosawa or Leone stuff that influenced Lucas in the first place. Does it work? Here and there. But I don’t hate it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 30, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jehde posted:

Something tells me she misses her dorky little jedi bro. Feels natural for her to try to connect with the weird thing that he did, the force. And Ahsoka was around to give it a shot I guess.

Makes sense. Though like I said, I hope we also see her get to use her Mando gear a bit in this series too (at the very least let her graffiti something)

Also I forget, how much interaction did Sabine and Ahsoka really have with each other back in Rebels?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Larryb posted:

Makes sense. Though like I said, I hope we also see her get to use her Mando gear a bit in this series too (at the very least let her graffiti something)

Also I forget, how much interaction did Sabine and Ahsoka really have with each other back in Rebels?

Almost none; she specifically hung out with the Jedis and briefly talked to Hera, etc.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Good episode, but I would have preferred shaving off five minutes of the action and have more Ahsoka/Sabine banter, or maybe flesh out the main antagonists Baylan and his apprentice more, who am finding to be interesting characters.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

site posted:

I was a bit confused why Ahsoka and Sabine both seemed to forget Sabine trained with Kanan and Ezra with the darksaber

I feel like Kanan should have come up during the whole blind-fighting sequence, too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I always like how Jedi can dodge them lasers in a huge crossfire and hit them accurately enough to ricochet them back with their lightsaber, but dodging some slow firing turbo lasers in a spaceship is a doozy. In past content, they dodged droid fire just fine, so...

--edit: added words.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 30, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thrawn527 posted:

Oh, I have no clue how the tech on lasers like that would actually work. Much like all tech in Star Wars.

something something plasma contained blaster bolt explodes the smoke is actually steam from the air cooling enviuronment blah blah blah blah

or whatever such technobabble

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Sabine did train with Kanen, so what if she hasn't kept up with the exercises and got stabbed. Ahsoka shouldn't take that as reason to put her at square one. Saber fighting and the force are not perishable skill sets.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

They seemed pretty-up-front with acknowledging she'd had training on lightsaber handling, she just hadn't done any of the using-the-Force parts of Jedi training.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also like she was never as good as an actual Jedi/padawan force user with the Saber.

Both Kanan and Ezra were capable of beating her pretty handily.

She's decent with the Lightsaber for a non force user(Better than Din and Bo for example), but right now since she hasn't been fighting constantly she's gotten rusty, and was going up against a real deal force user in a non training environment.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jehde posted:

The space F4U corsairs are great.

fartknocker posted:

The space P-47s were cool.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved the P-51 Mustang starfighters

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The useless fighters...reminded me of Mitsubishi Zeros

Somewhere, a Wookiepedia editor is sobbing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The show is merely fun old fashioned Star Wars so far, and that's fine. Ahsoka herself remains kinda eh but Sabine and the Tennantbot more than make up for it. I really like the scene with the bastard mug (been waging a similar one myself for decades, with similarly meagre results), and the WWII style fighters were great apart from their appallingly wimpy blaster FX. The scene with Mon was kinda depressing, got major Valorum vibes from her surrounded by those dicks.

Darko posted:

Depending on where Cal is now, it's basically those 4
Cal's dead, baby. Cal's dead.

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I like the slow shots, they're great. What are you in such a hurry for?

Beautiful meandering shots "using up" runtime sounds even sillier than smash characters using up "slots". They have as much runtime as they want to.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thordain posted:

I love the WW2 dogfighting aesthetics but it is real silly to have turbolaser produce little explosions like flak cannons.

As someone who played countless hours of the old X-wing/TIE Fighter flight sims, that bothered me too.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Xenomrph posted:

As someone who played countless hours of the old X-wing/TIE Fighter flight sims, that bothered me too.

The turbo lasers in ANH and ROTJ already did this :shrug:

maybealabia posted:

Beautiful meandering shots "using up" runtime sounds even sillier than smash characters using up "slots". They have as much runtime as they want to.

Eh there are limits to this. Pacing is something which contributes to the overall quality of a product. Something can be slow paced and good because it fits, and even something overindulgently slow can work. I tend to think things which are more meaningfully edited and paced tend to get more praise though. When you're just lingering to linger it feels more like baby's first auteur thinking slower is better by default than having any reason for it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

maybealabia posted:

I was told earlier that this is basically a live action cartoon and the sooner I accept that the better. Fine, but then I'm going to hold it to the standards of a cartoon (needs to have exciting pacing that can keep the attention of a child)

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I liked the latest episode. I got a real nerd boner over that wide shot of the NR fleet with the A-wings and so forth. I also really enjoyed Ahsoka and Sabine doing their best to defend their ship against that small group of fighters. I don't know what those ships are called yet, but I love the design and the sound they make.

I hope that ending means we're about to get a proper demonstration of what Baylon can do next week.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I feel there's been some Mon Mothma slander in this thread. The rest of the senators were useless dicks, but Mon was clearly saying "let me speak to these fuckers, I'll deal with it" to Hera. Mon knows the rest are a bunch of seatwarming do-nothings, but she's got to play the politics game still, same as she always did.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

I feel there's been some Mon Mothma slander in this thread. The rest of the senators were useless dicks, but Mon was clearly saying "let me speak to these fuckers, I'll deal with it" to Hera. Mon knows the rest are a bunch of seatwarming do-nothings, but she's got to play the politics game still, same as she always did.

Except that she does not, in fact, deal with it. The do-nothings win.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

ShowTime posted:

My predictions for Ep4 and Ep5 are that in Ep4 we'll see exploration of the planet and an eventual conflict between all the force users there, then end on an escape and travel to the hyperring to try and stop that 6th drive from being put into place.

Then in Ep5 we'll get a conflict on the ring, they can't shut it down in time and in comes Thrawn and possibly a fleet.

Should be a great next couple of episodes.

Surely the show would spend some time in the NEIGHBOURING GALAXY, surely they need to fetch him/find him in where ever he is

This episode was very videogame-y but I had fun. Sure it's WW2/ANH callbacks but the enemy fighters appearing felt very KOTOR-y down to the music cue

I feel like whoever decided the scene with Ahsoka doing a cartwheel to slice a starfighter very much played Jedi Academy, that move is just straight the jump+saber+strafe left/right move in the game. I know a number of moves were adapted from films in the game but I don't remember that one shown in films

edit: Also lmao I didn't realize that was Mon Mothma, she's that young-looking still? (talking of goon face blindness)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mon mothma's heart might be in the right place, but if there's one thing andor established it was that she doesn't do anything quickly