Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've been putting on a lot of SOV horror lately for when I'm knitting and I've come across a couple gems, in particular The Tower and Terror Eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSf9Bmb7zJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAhMEETdGsY

The Tower in particular is wonderfully uptight and dry, but I really love Terror Eyes's clumsy (presumably pseudo-Creepshow) humor, particularly in the first segment with the dumb couple and the book. I'd love to know if anyone has any other suggestions, it's just fun watching people try their hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Whats a 90 minute 80s movie I could watch. You have 1 hour for recommendations otherwise I'll probably end up watching something like Child's Play or I dunno maybe F13 film or something

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Chopping Mall.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Chopping Mall.

Okay

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Slumber Party Massacre II. 75 minutes, tons of fun, bubblegum horror, you don't need to have seen the first.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Hollismason posted:

Whats a 90 minute 80s movie I could watch. You have 1 hour for recommendations otherwise I'll probably end up watching something like Child's Play or I dunno maybe F13 film or something

The Lair of the White Worm (93 min)

Vampire Hunter D (80 min)

Edit:

Nevermind this was actually the correct answer:

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Chopping Mall.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Chopping Mall.

great fun but as with some other movies, the title is misleading. no chops!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

alf_pogs posted:

great fun but as with some other movies, the title is misleading. no chops!

If I'm remembering right someone does in fact get chopped in Chopping Mall.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a film about pimps and necrhoes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wrong thread but I'll let it stand as a monument to my hubris.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's a film about pimps and necrhoes.

Frankenhooker?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alongside hubris I mixed up Night Shift (1982, dir. Ron Howard) with Nightwatch (1997, dir. Ole Borndal).

One is a wacky comedy about some gangsters running a brothel out of a morgue the other is about serial murder and necrophilia.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I got both X and Pearl on bluray in a sale, never seen them, no nothing except Pearl is the prequel. What order should I watch?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shrecknet posted:

I got both X and Pearl on bluray in a sale, never seen them, no nothing except Pearl is the prequel. What order should I watch?

Pearl is the better film. X is kind of mediocre.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

If anyone's looking for more animated horror the 1986 Czechoslovakian Pied Piper is really, really something. Just nightmare imagery everywhere.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

Either one. I think you'll get more out of Pearl if you watch X first though.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

I say go in release order, X then Pearl, at least on the first viewings.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

Poor Pretty Eddie (1975) [946 ratings]
A jazz singer's car breaks down in the boonies, and her presence disrupts the existing tensions between the residents.

How to Make a Monster (1958) [932 ratings]
In this American International picture, American International Pictures gets bought out, unseating a master makeup artist with the studio's new focus on feel-good pictures. To fight back, he uses his monsters, with some special ingredients for the makeup keeping the actors from knowing what they're doing.

Remote Control (1988) [899 ratings]
A film called Remote Control has been released to the rental video market, taking over the minds of those who watch it. It's up to two video store employees to save the world.

Simon, King of the Witches (1971) [879 ratings]
Dramatic piece about people not taking a hippieish warlock seriously. Recommended for fans of The Love Witch.

Cthulhu (2007) [789 ratings]
A queer, apocalyptic, and Lovecraftian mystery/mood piece.

Hotel Fear (1978) [729 ratings]
A slow-boil war-time Italian thriller. The closest thing to WWII giallo I've seen.

The Noonday Witch (2016) [662 ratings]
Take The Babadook, imagine swapping its dark and confined aesthetic for one of being cooked to death under an unbearably bright sun in Czech farmlands, and you're in the right zone for this one.

Hannah, Queen of the Vampires (1973) [657 ratings]
A centuries-long revenge/romance/vampiric narrative tangle comes to a head in the 1970s.

Lace Crater (2015) [609 ratings]
A woman tries to cope with the strange symptoms she develops after having sex with a ghost. Contains trace amounts of mumblecore.

The Devil's Sword (1983) [543 ratings]
Totally wild Indonesian adventure involving sword lasers, Shaw Bros.-style themed fighters, subterranean hells, and more. A favorite of the Deadly Prey poster company's founder.

P.O.V. A Cursed Film (2012) [503 ratings]
Wonderfully creepy semi-mockumentary about a pair of idol-ish talk show hosts in Japan doing an episode about ghostly activities caught on video, and the increasingly blurred line between the viewer-submitted footage and their immediate surroundings.

Shanks (1974) [489 ratings]
Marcel Marceau (yeah, the mime) stars as a deaf and mute man whose scientist friend uncovers secrets of controlling corpse muscles, effectively turning them into puppets. When the scientist is killed, the technology becomes a tool of revenge.

Saint Bernard (2013) [481 ratings]
An arguably even more bizarre and hallucinatory trip from the director of Skinned Deep.

Pizza (2014) [310 ratings]
Maybe overly convoluted, but I enjoyed this blending of haunted house survival with Usual Suspects-ish perspective shifting.

Battle Heater (1989) [306 ratings]
A high-energy, playful, imaginative, and exuberant piece of bizarre Japanese horror comedy. Kind of like if Tetsuo The Iron Man had the warm and fuzzy friendliness of Hausu.

The Witch (1952) [293 ratings]
An accused witch is executed by a baron; 300 years later, her corpse is unearthed, the current baron's son mentions how he would give his soul to have a woman, and a strange woman appears in the corpse's place. Exploration of sexual politics in a 1952 Finnish film ensues.

The Devil's Machine (2019) [280 ratings]
A man and his daughter find their personalities being overwritten as the father attempts to solve the mysteries of a 300-year-old life-sized clockwork doll.

The Forgotten (2014) [257 ratings]
A heavily British undertaking of turning ghost story conventions on their head in a modern setting.

Soft Matter (2018) [170 ratings]
A goopy, wry, and decidedly low-budget mix of Lovecraftian gods, inept scientists, and graffiti artists. Kind of feels like a cousin to Psycho Goreman, but with a twee dose of Sorry to Bother You splashed in.

Another Yeti a Love Story: Life on the Streets (2017) [169 ratings]
A character from the original Yeti: A Love Story film has moved to the city, and is struggling with being a single father to his half-yeti son. But when his half-yeti son is kidnapped by a pimp with goals of a genetically-engineered yeti army, it leads on a quest of self-discovery and new love that will topple the corrupt local police department and get a yeti prostitute off of heroin.

Basically what you'd get if the impulses of a Chris Seaver film were given purpose and effort.

The Haunted House Project (2010) [144 ratings]
Did you like Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum? If so, watch this.

Synesthesia (2005) [98 ratings]
Kind of like a less visually experimental Japanese approach to the fragmented narrative style of Upstream Color. Yakuza, a man with synesthesia, and a serial killer named Picasso are some of the main players.

Talk to the Dead (2013) [84 ratings]
Part of the same cycle as The Crone and (Shiraishi's) Cult, this is a fairly standard technology-meets-supernatural J-horror film, but the execution (by the director of Ring 0 and Orochi: Blood) makes it an enjoyable ride through familiar territory.

And the Senritsu Kaiki File section:
Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! File 04: The Truth! Hanako-san in the Toilet (2013) [555 ratings]
The point at which this series really takes off.

Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Preface: True Story of the Ghost of Yotsua (2014) [419 ratings]
Feels like the point at which the protagonist team has fully spread their wings and launched themselves into the face of dangerous paranormal entities.

Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! The Most Terrifying Movie in History (2014) [388 ratings]
And the one to which the whole series (and Koji Shiraishi's filmography, if you wanna look at it that way) has been building.

Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi! Final Chapter (2015) [321 ratings]
A transitional chapter in which we get to see how cameraman Tashiro engages with a supernatural mission in the absence of his directors.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If I'm remembering right the inciting incident of SIMON, KING OF THE WITCHES is a bounced check, lol.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I've been putting on a lot of SOV horror lately for when I'm knitting and I've come across a couple gems, in particular The Tower and Terror Eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSf9Bmb7zJE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAhMEETdGsY

The Tower in particular is wonderfully uptight and dry, but I really love Terror Eyes's clumsy (presumably pseudo-Creepshow) humor, particularly in the first segment with the dumb couple and the book. I'd love to know if anyone has any other suggestions, it's just fun watching people try their hardest.

Yes. You'll get a bunch of common ones cited like VIOLENT poo poo and EVIL DEAD TRAP, and those are good, but there's plenty of lesser known ones that I really enjoy:

ZOMBIE GENOCIDE
Made by a bunch of English teenagers, every influence worn completely on its sleeve but impressively reproduced.
THE MUMMY'S DUNGEON
Equally as funny and poignant as S&MAN, oddly compelling depiction of what hanging out with a serial killer is probably actually like.
GREEDY TERROR
Miserable and drab Canadian neo-noir.
LAST DAY AT THE BEACH
Kind of idea you can get away with in a movie under an hour, essentially daydreaming a slasher interrupting a dull soap opera.
CARDS OF DEATH
One of the few that attempts to do anything at all with dramatic lighting.
NIGHT OF TERROR
Preposterous and weird leading lady, SOV Sextette.
FATAL DEVIATION
This movie completely kicks rear end. Ireland's first action film!
BONE SICKNESS
I love the cliche SOV loser protagonist in this, but it packs in an insanely cool other movie in the last ten minutes.
MOTHER'S DAY (WHAT A HORROR!)
Draggy horror vignettes, burlesque and drag stretch the meal of SOV horror like instant rice.
DARK ROMANCES, VOL. I
Must see.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 31, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Shrecknet posted:

Ok let's dig deep. Tell me your ****+ horror movies with less than 1,000 Letterboxed reviews that you would recommend.

And the short films.

Belial's Dream (2017) [515 ratings]
Stop-motion creepiness in a tie-in to the Basket Case series from the director of The Cat with Hands.

Superpower Girl (2017) [505 ratings]
Girls' school bitchiness turns deadly when a formerly despised classmate develops strange powers.

Bag (2001) [467 ratings]
Silent Hill aesthetics cut loose from the reins of a concrete narrative; music by Akira Yamaoka.

The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar (1936) [440 ratings]
A creepy Poe adaptation by way of 1930s Italy, with some great visuals.

There It Is (1928) [404 ratings]
A Looney Tunes-ish send-up of haunted house mysteries, almost half a decade before The Old Dark House.

Lili (2019) [336 ratings]
A creepy casting director gets his comeuppance.

Bakemono (2019) [289 ratings]
Screwing around with traditions, and the consequences of doing so.

Ko-Ko's Haunted House (1928) [255 ratings]
Dave Fleischer pulls out the stops for an animated onslaught of Halloween imagery.

MJ (2018) [205 ratings]
Social media obsession turns violent, while avoiding the usual 'some gizmo' pitfalls.

The Boy Who Left Home to Find Out About the Shivers (1984) [183 ratings]
An episode of Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre with Peter MacNicol, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, David Warner, and Frank Zappa! (I still think Jim Henson's The Storyteller told this story better, though.)

Mushroom (2001) [156 ratings]
Another piece of rampant Silent Hill imagery and Yamaoka audio.

Dudecreeps (2020) [128 ratings]
A creepy night at home shown from two perspectives.

Evil Heart (1985) [116 ratings]
A slumber party scary story of friendships turned sour and hospital nightmares.

Gregory Horror Show: The Nightmare Begins (1999) [99 ratings]
The first season of a Japanese show with a papercraft-via-CGI aesthetic, set in a hotel full of secrets, strange guests, and a dangerous caretaker.

Exit (2011) [64 ratings]
A somber, funereal piece of ritualistic nullification.

An Artistic Couple (1970) [47 ratings]
An elderly couple values art over life.

Trick 'r Treat: Sam's Gift (2020) [37 ratings]
A concentrated burst of Halloween energy in fan film form.

Nighthawks (2009) [7 ratings]
Vampyros lesbos, modernized.

Murderabilia (2012) [4 ratings]
An unsettling study of a man's acquisitive obsession over a piece of crime scene evidence.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Soft Matter might just have the most even spread of ratings I've ever seen on LB

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

If I'm remembering right the inciting incident of SIMON, KING OF THE WITCHES is a bounced check, lol.

Pretty much, yes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Afraid of the Dark (1991) is my underseen pick (884 watched on LB). It's one of those horror adjacent coming of age movies, like Celia or The Reflecting Skin. It's a somber movie that has some dark, weird poo poo and I don't know a single person who has seen it.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm putting together a week of horror movies to watch this October and need some recommendations.

My wife and I have been watching youtube compilations of Japanese "ghost" videos, stuff that basically boils down to faces popping up in places they shouldn't, stuff like that. I want to watch some movies that have a similar vibe, where things appear normal but then suddenly there's something spooky in a few frames or maybe hiding in the background.

If that's kind of unclear then movies I was already considering are The Grudge, Lake Mungo, and maybe something like Ghostwatch or the WNUF Halloween Special.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm putting together a week of horror movies to watch this October and need some recommendations.

My wife and I have been watching youtube compilations of Japanese "ghost" videos, stuff that basically boils down to faces popping up in places they shouldn't, stuff like that. I want to watch some movies that have a similar vibe, where things appear normal but then suddenly there's something spooky in a few frames or maybe hiding in the background.

If that's kind of unclear then movies I was already considering are The Grudge, Lake Mungo, and maybe something like Ghostwatch or the WNUF Halloween Special.

I mean the film that really exemplifies this and is all about this is Occult 2009 by Koji Shiraishi. The film is about these weird things happening around a young man that went through a tragedy. The film is about him capturing these events on video for a large part of the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wnuf has nothing you’re looking for. Avoid if you want anything like that

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

A Fancy Hat posted:

they come up constantly in this thread but if you haven't seen them then the Senritsu Kaiki File films would probably fit the bill. Each one has the characters investigating a video just like you described. They do that thing where they show the ghost/whatever video, then play it back and zoom/highlight the spooky stuff in them.

and yeah Lake Mungo is a great choice I think

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uzumaki plays with this really well, a whole lot of "Did that just- no, it's just my brain and the movie being spooky"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, Lake Mungo is a great pick for that kind of vibe, as is Ghostwatch. Shutter, the 2004 Thai film (and not the 2008 western remake) could be a good call too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://archive.org/details/the-mummys-dungeon-1993

Please watch.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Pretty much, yes.

Dirt under the fingernails.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

gey muckle mowser posted:

they come up constantly in this thread but if you haven't seen them then the Senritsu Kaiki File films would probably fit the bill. Each one has the characters investigating a video just like you described. They do that thing where they show the ghost/whatever video, then play it back and zoom/highlight the spooky stuff in them.

and yeah Lake Mungo is a great choice I think

Never heard of them but this is dead on what I'm vibing for, thank you! Now to find some way to watch them in the US.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

I watched Bad Things on Shudder last night and... is that movie just completely incompetent, or was it trying to do something that I didn't understand? Every once in awhile something comes up that seems like it might be a plot hook, but literally none of them are. I resisted the urge to bail because I had to see where it went, and then it just... didn't.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Not a horror but Aftersun had the two leads film each other with a mini DV cam which we then see played back.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

A Fancy Hat posted:

Never heard of them but this is dead on what I'm vibing for, thank you! Now to find some way to watch them in the US.

they were on YouTube for a while, but there is also a Discord channel run by a guy who has been doing the translations where you can find them, google "Shiracord" (technically :filez: I guess but there is no legal way to watch them in the US as far as I'm aware).

The first one is a bit weaker than the others but if you like the premise then definitely stick with the series, IMO part 3/4 is where it goes from "these are neat" to "these movies rule"

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 31, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I watched Bad Things on Shudder last night and... is that movie just completely incompetent, or was it trying to do something that I didn't understand? Every once in awhile something comes up that seems like it might be a plot hook, but literally none of them are. I resisted the urge to bail because I had to see where it went, and then it just... didn't.

Yeah I saw it last week and the only thing I feel worked was the casting. Insane how talented everyone involved in that normally is (including the director, who did Lyle), and it being a lesbian haunted house story, and just none of it amounted to anything

I know there's four full months left in the year, but straight up I already think 2023 is the most disappointing year of Shudder content I've had. If next year follows suit I think I'm done with the service for good

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes. You'll get a bunch of common ones cited like VIOLENT poo poo and EVIL DEAD TRAP, and those are good, but there's plenty of lesser known ones that I really enjoy:

This rules, thank you.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Yeah, Bad Things was honestly pretty dire. One of the first reviews said that it was a 'femme disruption of The Shining', which I thought was a really cool premise, but instead it was a boring slog with four unlikeable people in an ugly, drab space, complaining about things before ten minutes of actual horror movie. I like Hari Nef, I think she's an intriguing presence on the screen, but even she got the short end of the stick on this one. Like CJ2 said, one of the worst 'Shudder Exclusives', which is really saying something.

Carpet posted:

Not a horror but Aftersun had the two leads film each other with a mini DV cam which we then see played back.

Again, not horror, but Aftersun is an absolutely incredible movie that will wreck your poo poo if you've ever lost anyone to depression.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This Is the Zodiac posted:

I watched Bad Things on Shudder last night and...

I saw it pop up but I skipped right to VERY BAD THINGS and I don't think you need to see the one on Shudder to understand the story.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah I saw it last week and the only thing I feel worked was the casting. Insane how talented everyone involved in that normally is (including the director, who did Lyle), and it being a lesbian haunted house story, and just none of it amounted to anything

I know there's four full months left in the year, but straight up I already think 2023 is the most disappointing year of Shudder content I've had. If next year follows suit I think I'm done with the service for good

I've been pretty bummed with Shudder as well. I'm sure the AMC cuts and restructuring hurt it a lot, but it just feels like there's been a lot less hitting lately. Last Drive In is still great and I'm excited for Creepshow, but the original movies have definitely been lacking compared to the last 3 years. I liked Kids vs Aliens, Brooklyn 45, and Influencer. If you count Skinamarink I loved that. Spoonful of Sugar was alright. I'm hoping VHS 85 rules because otherwise that's maybe 6 movies in a whole year when I used to half easily double that I really loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I sub to Shudder for TLDI first and foremost so as long as they keep making that I'll keep subscribing.