Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

His name is Ballard and the Chiefs fans were upset we lost him then he turned into a pumpkin and Brett Veach is a goddam miracle worker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
71mil in cap space next year with a raw as hell rookie on the books and being cheap about good players. Some analytics level brilliance.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Metapod posted:

Love the colt fan just eating up the he's hurt line from management the moment there's a contract dispute

He had surgery in the offseason and has been on the PUP list before all this started?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Feels like the Colts have been a terrible team with shitloads of cap space for a while

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

He had surgery in the offseason and has been on the PUP list before all this started?

He had surgery in January and the injury noise all started immediately once he started asking for money

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

wandler20 posted:

You guys want to see the most annoying web page? Like, who could even make it through this entire article? (on PC, no idea what it's like on mobile)

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/37879268/who-break-nfl-single-season-receiving-yards-record

The page was working fine on my iPhone until I set it down & it went to landscape mode, then it was blank scrolling until the end.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ches Neckbeard posted:

71mil in cap space next year with a raw as hell rookie on the books and being cheap about good players. Some analytics level brilliance.

What deals have other RBs gotten?

Like are you all intentionally being obtuse about this or what. You're smarter than NFL and Twitter Reddit. If any team signed an RB for 15 or 16 million a year it would be dumb. What did Barkley and Josh Jacobs just sign for?

Metapod posted:

He had surgery in January and the injury noise all started immediately once he started asking for money

He came to camp on the PUP list and the noise didn't start until after camp had opened. Like it's in both sides best interest if he's healthy and playing for them.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Android Apocalypse posted:

The page was working fine on my iPhone until I set it down & it went to landscape mode, then it was blank scrolling until the end.

Don’t worry, it was blank in portrait too lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

What deals have other RBs gotten?

Like are you all intentionally being obtuse about this or what. You're smarter than NFL and Twitter Reddit. If any team signed an RB for 15 or 16 million a year it would be dumb. What did Barkley and Josh Jacobs just sign for?

He came to camp on the PUP list and the noise didn't start until after camp had opened. Like it's in both sides best interest if he's healthy and playing for them.

If you want a serious answer, the Dolphins were likely to pay him something close with....LMAO a project 28mil over next year. Yes pay the man and stop trying to win the league with cap space. Following the lead of the Raiders and Giants is dumb.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami wasn’t going to pay him 15-16 lmao

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Miami wasn’t going to pay him 15-16 lmao

They were ready to pay enough that he wanted to go. If the Colts won't match they're dumb.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ches Neckbeard posted:

If you want a serious answer, the Dolphins were likely to pay him something close with....LMAO a project 28mil over next year. Yes pay the man and stop trying to win the league with cap space. Following the lead of the Raiders and Giants is dumb.

I thought the Dolphins didn't have enough cap space next year to sign everyone they have, but I could be wrong.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

He's injured so how exactly is he gonna help? How is signing him to a big deal when he's still hurt and possibly screwing the team for the future capwise helping develop the QB?

Again, Pittman is in the exact same situation. He's also going to get paid more than Taylor. But there's no noise about that. Pittman isn't demanding a trade because he's not getting an extension.

It's not bad for the team to not want to break the bank for an injured player at a position that's had its value diminished a shitload. Taylor has zero leverage and there's no reason for the Colts to trade him or to extend him for $15 or $16 million a year, especially since he's still hurt. And if he's hurt, who is going to actually offer anything of value for him? So it would be stupid for the Colts to trade him unless they got a good return. Like yeah, asking for Waddle and a third is pretty ridiculous, but might as well give it a shot.

He's "injured".

With the amount of cap the Colts have, signing him to a 2-3 year deal that is marginally more money is not going to move the needle. Again, what are they saving cap space for? All those superstar players? You don't win anything for not spending $70 million dollars. Not paying the few good players you have out of principle is stupid and bad management.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

He's "injured".

With the amount of cap the Colts have signing him to a 2-3 year deal that is marginally more money is not going to move the needle. Again, what are they saving cap space for? All those superstar players? You don't win anything for not spending $70 million dollars. Not paying the few good players you have out of principle is stupid and bad management.

They're not re-signing anyone who's deal is up because they want to see how they perform in the new system with a new coach. Next year at least Pittman and Grover Stewart are going to get re-signed and with the WR market, Pittman is going to get a ton. The Colts usually have to spend a bit more to get free agents to sign, so if they have any major targets for next year they'll need the space. Part of that space for next year is also for JT.

There's zero reason for them to sign a long term deal and reset the RB market, especially when they still have the franchise tag they can use.

You're also assuming that JT would sign for a 2-3 year deal. I don't think that's likely since when that deal comes up, he'll be even older and less likely to get a long term deal. It's most likely he's looking for a big long term deal now at the end of the first contract, because it's not likely that there will be a big payday after the second contract is up considering the shelf life of current NFL RBs.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I thought the Dolphins didn't have enough cap space next year to sign everyone they have, but I could be wrong.

From what it looks like on overthecap they're deep in the red like I said. I can't imagine them trying to trade for him when he's already had a holdout situation and demanding a new contract without something ready to go. JT's agent is the one who sought out a trade partner after all.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Nobody would be judging the Colts if they just said they don't want to hand out a long-term extension to a RB coming off an injury who's about to play in a new offense.

Everyone is judging the Colts because their owner publicly criticized RBs for discussing pathways to better pay conditions, said nobody would care if Taylor was out of the league, team officials repeatedly alluded to the depressed RB contract market as a factor in the process instead of putting out generic "We'd be happy to pay Jonathan when the time comes assuming we can come to an agreement"-type statements, the team first rejected his trade request and then pretended to entertain offers while asking for ridiculous returns, their GM just questioned the importance of a great RB to a developing QB by invoking a QB prospect the franchise famously ruined, etc.

They did a lot to create an environment where an RB holding out in an extremely unfavorable market somehow looked like the reasonable party

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

xbilkis posted:

Nobody would be judging the Colts if they just said they don't want to hand out a long-term extension to a RB coming off an injury who's about to play in a new offense.

Everyone is judging the Colts because their owner publicly criticized RBs for discussing pathways to better pay conditions, said nobody would care if Taylor was out of the league, team officials repeatedly alluded to the depressed RB contract market as a factor in the process instead of putting out generic "We'd be happy to pay Jonathan when the time comes assuming we can come to an agreement"-type statements, the team first rejected his trade request and then pretended to entertain offers while asking for ridiculous returns, their GM just questioned the importance of a great RB to a developing QB by invoking a QB prospect the franchise famously ruined, etc.

They did a lot to create an environment where an RB holding out in an extremely unfavorable market somehow looked like the reasonable party

Thisssss

There was some agent scuttlebutt in the athletic and the best pull quote was “are they trying to win a single negotiation or trying to win games?” The general sense was JT got some not great agent advice and the colts made it so much worse.

Like at what point do you stop burning up all your good will publicly fighting with the best offensive player on your garbage team and just shut the gently caress up and try to squeeze out a few more wins.

Even outside of just contract negotiations this has reinforced the pattern of Irsay loving around with the team rather than letting the GM and coach run things. That sort of poo poo does not sit well.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if I owned a football team I'd absolutely meddle with it on a level that would make Jones and Irsay look like Ozzie Newsome so I can't roast them too hard

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
This running back isn't worth the money he's asking for and really doesn't contribute anything to the team as a whole. He's also absolutely worth a trade package including multiple 1st round picks and starting WRs to get him.

Yep, sure checks out.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

xbilkis posted:

Yeah this is a good post. Taylor maybe got a little out over his skis asking for an extension. But instead of handling it like a normal team, we got

quote:

If I die tonight and Jonathan Taylor is out of the league, no one’s gonna miss us
/

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Colts handled the situation in a lovely fashion. It's still bad business to pay a RB what it sounds like he wanted.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Personally I think just the running back position in general should strike for better wages.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

xbilkis posted:

I agree with most of your post and your general sentiment, but I *do* actually think it's silly for the Colts not to extend JT even if they handled it the way you just mentioned.

They have no one to pay, Taylor is an awesome player, and they have the shittiest depth behind him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You shouldn't pay running backs deals like what Zeke got, but you can absolutely justify extending young running backs. Throwing a 3 year extension at JT with all your standard escalators and escape clauses at a significant discount to what loving Cole Kmet is being paid is not some egregious overspend.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah I do think Irsay didn't help with his comments. But the Colts had already said they weren't extending players before the season before all this happened.

The press conference today had a lot of Ballard talking about how the situation sucks. I think you can tell he isn't happy about how all this has happened and probably blames Irsay for some of it. Like how last year he looked like a hostage at the Jeff Saturday announcement, since he was against that hiring but was overruled.

But in the end I think JT ends up playing and getting a good extension from the team next year.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

You shouldn't pay running backs deals like what Zeke got, but you can absolutely justify extending young running backs. Throwing a 3 year extension at JT with all your standard escalators and escape clauses at a significant discount to what loving Cole Kmet is being paid is not some egregious overspend.

No you don’t get it, they are going to spend it all next year on, checks 2024 top free agent notes, a bunch of RBs whose teams refuse to sign them for more than one year. Hey wait a minute.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I agree that the Colts are a team perfectly situated to pay an RB in theory, but I also think it's fine for them to say "lemme make sure you're back to full strength" to a RB coming off ankle surgery and a good-not-great year before handing out an extension.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yes exactly the problem is that they didn’t do that. Irsay went thermonuclear and said the league wouldn’t be any different if JT never played again

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol the Colts are run by loving morons.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Colts also had no problem paying everyone else until they cut off the money tap this year right in time for JT to go wtf

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Grip it and rip it posted:

lol the Colts are run by loving morons.

Like father, like son? Think about it, won’t you?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
Listen, whales don't come cheap. Nor does cocaine.

OTOH, tanking for Caleb Williams Marvin Harrison, Jr? poo poo's practically free.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
if it's some comfort to the many terrible teams, there's like 3 legit QBs coming out this year, maybe more. Caleb is for sure the best one but at least one of the other dudes coming out are better than anyone in last years draft

no one's even close to Harrison Jr on the WR side tho. holy poo poo that dude's insane

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Colts also had no problem paying everyone else until they cut off the money tap this year right in time for JT to go wtf

Yeah, but they have a new coach this year with a new system. And I don't think it helped that the guys they did extend with Nelson and Leonard immediately got hurt and/or had their play fall off a lot. They also overpaid for Hines with his extension and had to trade him because of it, and because they didn't even use him right.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel for Colts fans, even if you've been so goddam lucky for the past two decades nobody should feel bad for you.

But the owner is the problem and they have had tons of cap space to build their roster and it isn't like Ballard doesn't know that. Draft after draft of taking linemen, the best guard prospect in years, and then not even trying to bring free agents in.

I mean, at this point you can't defend them they have three wide receivers on their roster and won't pay their bright spots.

Ballard isn't an idiot but the decisions have been transparently bad. Like, if I had to describe the moves since Luck retired I'd compare it to burying gold in your backyard to take with you when you're dead.

And it sucks, but only as a dynasty owner of any of their players and I shouldn't bring up fantasy in this thread but that's the only source of empathy I've got.

You go sour when you lose a playoff game after being up 38-10 and that was just one game in a long line of getting hosed by the Colts in playoff games my entire life.

Maybe pay Taylor as a wide receiver and send your owner to rehab. Even if you got Marvin Harrison Jr I have no faith you won't gently caress it up and waste him.

also obligatory gently caress Jim Harbaugh

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ballard not spending is getting old, yeah. Hopefully that will change now that they aren't spending a ton on old and bad QBs and have one on a rookie contract.

Next off season will be pretty important. Nobody is expecting much this year except to hopefully get Richardson experience and show that he can play. Then next year they really have to get him more help on the offensive side.

It's why I think they are fine with losing this year because they absolutely want Harrison Jr.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Can we toss Michael Bidwill into a wood chipper?

...did the wood chipper sleep with your wife or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Kalli posted:

Good news Ravens fans, Melvin Gordon's back in the building

God dammit