Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Amazing how consistently people who’ve had literally everything handed to them on a plate think that everyone else needs to earn the right to just about surviving a happy life

Also, there's gently caress all chance that any children of spoilt shitheads would have to do any menial tasks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

3 bottles of milk this week have turned before I could finish them. Granted, 1 was in fact a day past the sell by date, but 2 of them go out on the 2nd September.

Swear to god I've poured more milk down the drain since Brexit in the 30 years of my life before that.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

:stare:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

3 bottles of milk this week have turned before I could finish them. Granted, 1 was in fact a day past the sell by date, but 2 of them go out on the 2nd September.

Swear to god I've poured more milk down the drain since Brexit in the 30 years of my life before that.

Turn your fridge on

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

huh, it's showing a different article for me

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Turn your fridge on

I have :(

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

A year of volunteering doing hospital laundry in exchange for free further education or a mortgage credit, maybe.

Whatever horseshit slops out of this think tank, no.

National service is to boomers as I Love the 80s is to millennials, something that only ever happened in the background for them but they're convinced it was amazing.

A friend of mine said that there should be a national service, but it should be "work in the retail sector" for a year. Just so you learn to empathise and not abuse retail staff.

Honestly I don't think he's wrong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

God, if only Britain's only good columnist would cover my plight

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

You sure a Scottish Tory hasn't moved next door and cursed the milk in a local radius

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I actually think National Service would be great if it involved a varied mix of work that would otherwise be left to charities, like park gardening work, nature preservation work, beach cleaning, doing stuff for the elderly, etc etc.

Of course all this stuff, ideally, would be fully paid for work funded by the government but in the absence of that, such 'national service' might provide a lot of useful experience to young people, so long as it's genuinely useful, varied, rewarded in some way, and they're given some degree of choice in what they're involved in. Especially if they have a career in mind and some particular activity would help fast track them into that.

Edit: reading the telegraph article

quote:

The scheme would see teenagers spend a fortnight away on a civic exploration trip and be made to complete a certain amount of volunteering hours in a year.

The programme would not be mandatory but teenagers would have to opt out if they did not want to join, in contrast to the existing civic service scheme, which requires people to opt in.

Honestly doesn't sound that bad at all.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 31, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Microplastics posted:

I actually think National Service would be great if it involved a varied mix of work that would otherwise be left to charities, like park gardening work, nature preservation work, beach cleaning, doing stuff for the elderly, etc etc.

Of course all this stuff, ideally, would be fully paid for work funded by the government but in the absence of that, such 'national service' might provide a lot of useful experience to young people, so long as it's genuinely useful, varied, rewarded in some way, and they're given some degree of choice in what they're involved in. Especially if they have a career in mind and some particular activity would help fast track them into that.

Been reading Robert Caro's LBJ biographies (which own own own) and Roosevelt's New Deal National Youth Administration designed to create jobs for young people and pay school tuition seems like a pretty great idea.

That said, any modern equivalent would inevitably be extracting free labour from teenagers to enrich Tory donors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Microplastics posted:

Edit: reading the telegraph article

Honestly doesn't sound that bad at all.

There's no need for it to be limited to or mandatory for young people, though. If the government ran a "National Labour Service" that offered decent wages to anyone who wanted to sign up that did useful cleanup/gardening/preservation work and encouraged young people to sign up for it out of school to get some skills, I don't think anyone would object.

Well, except for the right wing, who would call it communism.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

A friend of mine said that there should be a national service, but it should be "work in the retail sector" for a year. Just so you learn to empathise and not abuse retail staff.

This already meets the criteria in that almost all teenagers do it, except for those from well-off families

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I work with a lot of Germans, who did national service for Germany. It was scrapped there in 2011.
Absolutely none of it helps get a career, unless its shouting at people or to be a soldier.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

It'll solve the fruit pickers shortage and probably not pay the kids minimum wage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Torygraph article about avocados and I didn't know that they're the new 'blood diamonds'. Quite an interesting read for the ground it covers!

https://archive.ph/zExIK

Quote of last to one paragraph:

quote:

You might remember that this involves leaning backwards over a hostess trolley, being beaten on the bottom by a copy of Woman’s Weekly, and the following plea from Freda: “Let’s do it, let’s do it, I feel I absolutely must / I won’t exempt you, I want to tempt you, want to drive you mad with lust / No cautions, just contortions, smear an avocado on my lower portions.”

original source: torygraph/food-and-drink/features/avocado-industry-history-cartels-millennials-nigella

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

God, if only Britain's only good columnist would cover my plight

no joke i’m sure he would sympathetically read your email and consider it for next weeks article

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
I knew I'd made it in Brexit Britain when Adrian Chiles wrote about my problem.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Kin posted:

I mean, does that one off cost come with what's essentially 6TB of cloud storage?

I didn't really put much stock in non physical storage until I nearly lost all of my photos on a HDD crash.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm more or less paying for the cloud storage and the office software is just a bonus.

Fair enough, your use case is valid.
I personally just refuse to support the SAAS model and to keep paying when I can buy once, properly.
My backups are on two separate external hard drives, each synchronised with my main drive once a quarter using rsync. Game saves are on steam cloud anyway so all I'm backing up is my documents and photos, some of which are also in a free Dropbox.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Torygraph article about avocados and I didn't know that they're the new 'blood diamonds'. Quite an interesting read for the ground it covers!

https://archive.ph/zExIK

Quote of last to one paragraph:

original source: torygraph/food-and-drink/features/avocado-industry-history-cartels-millennials-nigella

Erm, I take it that you deliberately excluded the fact that it's from a comedy song by the late and much missed Victoria Wood?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Lmao. The best bit is you kept the "death and dying" category tag :discourse:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Software is a service now. Really the forums should be a dollar a month

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Erm, I take it that you deliberately excluded the fact that it's from a comedy song by the late and much missed Victoria Wood?

I didn't know that. (If it said in the article, it passed me by!)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Software is a service now. Really the forums should be a dollar a month

I'll never like & subscribe to your posts

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I didn't know that. (If it said in the article, it passed me by!)

It did, in the first sentence of the paragraph you quoted.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

Don't be rude :mad: maybe she hasn't got her reading glasses on :boom:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The Question IRL posted:

A year in hospitality would do wonders.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

lmao

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Microplastics posted:

Don't be rude :mad: maybe she hasn't got her reading glasses on :boom:

:corsair: I had forgotten by the time I copied and pasted the quote from my incognito browser window to this. Or some such excuse. This is what comes of multi-tasking.

Just went back & checked the article. Victoria Wood's name is underlined hence why I probably skimmed over it as I normally skip over links (and poems) when reading. Can't stand poems in novels.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Aug 31, 2023

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

• Retail
  • Hospitality
  • Contact Center
  • Construction

Choose one.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
okay so we just did zombie knives again, nice bit of the ol' tabloid fear campaign bringing back a recent popular hit

now it's some gritted teeth and pronounced vein nostalgia-wanking over national service by folk largely born a decade+ after it ended

what's next on the hatescreen-

air gun/crossbow armed teens?

"thugs" on skunk?

Romanians eating swans?

I swear they just have a loving roulette wheel somewhere

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Albanian drug gangs using crossbows to hunt swans.

Armed robbers converting £600 antique revolvers to rob a bookies that holds £200 in cash.

Teens inhaling barbecue gas directly from barbecue grills.

Shell suits in gang colours.

Strawberry jenkem.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Guavanaut posted:

Armed robbers converting £600 antique revolvers to rob a bookies that holds £200 in cash.

Strawberry jenkem.

Albanian drug barbecues converting £600 grills to shells in strawberry colours.

Crossbow jenkem.

Teens inhaling antique revolvers directly from swan bookies.

It’s political correctness gone mad is what it is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

smellmycheese posted:

I’d imagine it would be a bit upsetting for the kids but I can definitely see the positive side too

I believe, being a member of the nobility and all, we actually beheaded him.

Edit: outside of his own Banqueting House, where there is now a big ol' statue of Oliver Cromwell, which I kind of like as a reminder to our monarchy along the lines of 'gently caress around and find out'.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 31, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

DesperateDan posted:

okay so we just did zombie knives again, nice bit of the ol' tabloid fear campaign bringing back a recent popular hit

now it's some gritted teeth and pronounced vein nostalgia-wanking over national service by folk largely born a decade+ after it ended

what's next on the hatescreen-

air gun/crossbow armed teens?

"thugs" on skunk?

Romanians eating swans?

I swear they just have a loving roulette wheel somewhere

A lot of the children round here wear balaklavas when walking around the streets. I think it might be something to do with "drill" music.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

A lot of the children round here wear balaklavas when walking around the streets. I think it might be something to do with "drill" music.

Misread this as the kids wearing baklava and got confused.

May be normal if you live on a mountain though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I think it might be something to do with "drill" music.
Terrible violent lyrics, they should talk like decent people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spJoRLpDLLM

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

Strawberry jenkem.

Education, Education, Education

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

you can still find beds made up in the houses of elder folk who never bought into duvets and it's a very elaborate layering of sheets and quilts and blankets and frilly anomalies

Americans still do this, as I understand it, 'duvets' never quite made it across the Atlantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The that they can apparently make it across the Channel terrifies Braverman.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Crossbow jenkem.
That's just early biological warfare with clay pots.

forkboy84 posted:

Misread this as the kids wearing baklava and got confused.
Levant version of

Ban this sick filth.