Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1697285697596477686?s=20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQrBWPxR_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hail chucky

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo

I'm still working through season 2, but I love that they keep bringing Sawa back in different roles.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Devon Sawa thing is both one of Chucky's funniest running gags and also genuinely an incredible bit of storytelling with regard to Jake and his arc. loving love this show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's amazing how horror as a genre has a way of reviving and supporting actors careers in a way that no other genre really does. Like, go back in time to 2010 and tell Devon Sawa that ten years from now you'll be starring as multiple different characters in an iconic horror t.v. series and he probably wouldn't believe you. Or look at how Halloween helped relaunch Jamie Lee Curtis' career more than 15 years after she'd last played Laurie Strode.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This rules, thank you.

Was way overdue to talk about these stupid things. I'm always on the hunt.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

oh my god
oh my god
lol, lmao, this rules

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://morbotron.com/mp4/S03E13/81...AoKCgoKCgpObyE=

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 3, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was watching Smile and it occurred to me that I'd had it mixed up in my head the 2018 Truth or Dare, so I watched that next. Whaaat a piece of poo poo. Terrible effects (the main character even calls attention to it by saying "it was like a snapchat filter!" after facing a bunch of rictus grin people), boring, dull characters, lame ending.

Quite liked Smile though. I read people complain about its jumpscares, but they were so telegraphed I didn't mind them. Ending's wild and I loved the creepy soundtrack.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Haha poo poo, thanks for reminding me about smile. I set out to watch it like a month ago and just plumb forgot about it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really don’t have a problem with jump scares. Sometimes they make me jump. Sometimes a film doesn’t have anything to else to it but that isn’t the fault of the concept of jump scares. There’s plenty of ways to make a lovely lazy horror movie and try and justify it with a trope.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I don't mind jump scares but there seems to be this trend in horror lately to really rely on them for making a "scary" movie. Like Smile is very jump scare heavy and so are the Conjuring films.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jump scares are just cheap and artless

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
No, there's an art to jump scares, it's just that films cheap out on it too often.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yeah, Bad Things was honestly pretty dire. One of the first reviews said that it was a 'femme disruption of The Shining', which I thought was a really cool premise, but instead it was a boring slog with four unlikeable people in an ugly, drab space, complaining about things before ten minutes of actual horror movie.
The hotel was actually the only thing I liked about it. It was creepy but in a sort of dead-mall, liminal-space way that you don't see often in movies.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

No, there's an art to jump scares, it's just that films cheap out on it too often.

The Mike Flanagan sick kids show didn't do much for me but I did appreciate the heck out of that one bit where they kept jumpscaring every five seconds

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
The best jump scare is when you first see Jaws, as Brody is scooping chum

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jump scares are good, it’s fun when one gets you.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Shieeet

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
jumpscares are only bad when movies rely on them to startle the audience instead of, you know, scare them. Which does happen a lot in bad horror movies, but there's nothing wrong with them in principle.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

So here's something mildly interesting... apparently AMC's FearFest is officially starting tomorrow night, for two months of horror movie goodness. And it's being curated by Shudder (excuse me, "Shocked By") Shudder, so there should be some people in charge that are making more appropriate choices.

https://www.vulture.com/article/shudder-amc-fearfest-halloween-movies-tv-shows.html

The article also goes into detail about how AMC will spread around it's offerings amongst all of its TV networks, and will try to tailor them to their respective audiences as well. (So, We TV will get more features focused around/made by Black women, since that's that channel's most popular demo, while BBC America will get more sci-fi stuff). So that might be a neat experience for people who have access to those channels and tune in semi-regularly.

Key to note, though: While the whole thing kicks off tomorrow, it will be smaller in scope through September, and relegated to only Friday nights. Indeed, looking ahead on AMC's website, it looks like the only thing we'll get tomorrow is a pair of episodes from "The 101 Scariest Horror Movie Moments" that doesn't even start until 11 PM EST, so there's not going to be too much Spooky September shenanigans going on on all of those AMC networks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Jump scares are good, it’s fun when one gets you.

yeah jump scares are cool.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I like jump scares but feel they get to overused in modern horror.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
A bad jump scare thinks startling the viewer is the same thing as scaring the viewer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not about scaring them it’s about them having fun. Jump scares are fun for most people. They get a little jolt, they laugh, then they wrap their arm around the person they brought and have a great night out or in the house.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think jump scares have their place, but often they're overused as a cheap tactic to prop up an otherwise uninteresting fBOO!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
:cry:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL3RVALKojE

I like this take, that jump-scare-centric movies are for people getting in to horror, the way tricycles are for people getting in to cycling. An on-ramp to the harder stuff, because if you just go straight to cycling you're gonna fall down and not get what the appeal of a bicycle is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the same thing as a haunted house. Everyone loves hunted houses. They’re big, loud, goofy and fun. That’s the kind of vibe a movie with jumpscares has.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Taylor Swift dropping her concert film now means Exorcist: Believer has been moved forward a week.

https://twitter.com/jason_blum/status/1697334645225041933

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
If you have ptsd, jumpscares are the most annoying thing in the goddamn universe

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Taylor Swift dropping her concert film now means Exorcist: Believer has been moved forward a week.

https://twitter.com/jason_blum/status/1697334645225041933

Excorcist : I believe it will be garbage

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think jump scares have their place, but often they're overused as a cheap tactic to prop up an otherwise uninteresting fBOO!

Sure, a bad one is bad, no argument. I just think that’s trivially true. All the weak ones that make you roll your eyes just make the good ones more fun

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

love a jump scare when the other person you're watching a movie with leaps in terror. hate it when I'm the jumper

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I rewatched Elvira's Mistress of the Dark this afternoon and uh that hasn't aged that well. I remember loving it as a kid but just recently rewatching it wasn't that impressed with it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can't agree, I love it more than ever nowadays.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, I rewatched it a few months ago and still loved it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Hollismason posted:

I rewatched Elvira's Mistress of the Dark this afternoon and uh that hasn't aged that well. I remember loving it as a kid but just recently rewatching it wasn't that impressed with it.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I watched it for the first time a few days ago and it rules hard.

Hard :wink: