Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I'm starting to price out options for picking up my first models.

I know I want to start with a combat patrol, or at least that's my understanding from my earlier posts + the OP and the fact that I wanna build the sisters of battle stuff cause they look real cool

But is there a place like MTG goldfish for warhammer, where I can see what people are usually putting in their armies? I'm going to budget it out and figure out what I want to get, plus honestly I'll probably put stuff in that I think looks cool over trying to be fully competitive, but as a new player it's nice to have some examples to look at as well! A casual google didn't turn up too much,

This and the goonhammer article I mentioned when I first posted about a week ago seems like a decent place to start: https://woehammer.com/2021/08/17/a-beginners-starter-army-for-sisters-of-battle/

And I can for sure do the math myself, but my goal is to add things I like to the combat patrol to get to 1k over time so that I can really play with other people. There's just so much choice and only so much money so I want to focus my efforts (especially since I'll need to buy the other basics and paint and stuff)

Warhammer is a pretty expensive hobby so it is helpful to know some tips and tricks. One such thing is that there is a price difference between regions, not just due to currency fluctuations but GW's marketing strategy. This, combined with price fluctuations can sometimes result in really good deals, especially after Liz Truss destroyed the pound. For example, the Battle Sister box sells for US $160, which would be about 125 pounds. But the list price for the UK is 95 pounds, which would be 120 US dollars. Unfortunately GW has rules about people selling the product internationally. But what you can do is find a vendor on eBay that uses the eBay global shipping program in which eBay does the shipping. The shipping is expensive but you can find most GW products for around a grand total of 20-30% off depending on popularity. For example here is a link to the SoB Combat Patrol box for about 125usd : https://www.ebay.com/itm/255739280154

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Weird Pumpkin posted:

This and the goonhammer article I mentioned when I first posted about a week ago seems like a decent place to start: https://woehammer.com/2021/08/17/a-beginners-starter-army-for-sisters-of-battle/

It's worth noting that this article, as with Goonhammer, is for the previous edition and so probably not the best guidepost to be using right now.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would not suggest anyone expect the 2ft long resin wings on fulgrim to last long on the completed model

You can probably swap them for the Morathi wings. You know, the other snake-demigod.

GW must have something for special sexy snakes.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im buying that Fulgrim day 1.

Padical
Nov 29, 2004
I am very interested in this 1st company detachment. It's the kind of force I would want to build and field. A shame there are no leaks out yet.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Z the IVth posted:

You can probably swap them for the Morathi wings. You know, the other snake-demigod.

Stupid Sexy Snakepeople (Sneeple)

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Warhammer is a pretty expensive hobby so it is helpful to know some tips and tricks. One such thing is that there is a price difference between regions, not just due to currency fluctuations but GW's marketing strategy. This, combined with price fluctuations can sometimes result in really good deals, especially after Liz Truss destroyed the pound. For example, the Battle Sister box sells for US $160, which would be about 125 pounds. But the list price for the UK is 95 pounds, which would be 120 US dollars. Unfortunately GW has rules about people selling the product internationally. But what you can do is find a vendor on eBay that uses the eBay global shipping program in which eBay does the shipping. The shipping is expensive but you can find most GW products for around a grand total of 20-30% off depending on popularity. For example here is a link to the SoB Combat Patrol box for about 125usd : https://www.ebay.com/itm/255739280154

Awesome, thanks!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Z the IVth posted:

They know their customer base well.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Padical posted:

I am very interested in this 1st company detachment. It's the kind of force I would want to build and field. A shame there are no leaks out yet.

Since my Space Wolves are lead by Arjac Rockfist, who is in the 1st company (well the Great Company of Logan Grimnar), I am hoping that detachment thematically fits at least until the codex for SW comes out. But not sure how that would work with me wanting to use indexhammer datasheets for SW specific units. Guess we'll find out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

They know their customer base well.

And yet the Sslyth model has been vaulted.
:thunk:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
man, those announcements are just a big old fart. most of the new primaris is ugly or boring, the only remotely cool models imo are the mk III, and even those mean there's no longer a boxed kit of 30K guys with chainswords. sucks.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

man, those announcements are just a big old fart. most of the new primaris is ugly or boring, the only remotely cool models imo are the mk III, and even those mean there's no longer a boxed kit of 30K guys with chainswords. sucks.

I had mixed feelings for the reveal myself. I am happy for everyone who is happy about the jump packs though, although I am not sold so much on them myself. The command squad might be interesting I will have to take a closer look. I picked up Leviathan so now I am wondering if I really want 5 more terminators though, not sure if that might be overkill.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’ve been pretty cool on the last few releases but found this one really great!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I really like the Term characters, but they also really remind me of the Terms I had like 15+ years back, so I can see why people might not be excited.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
no lightning claw or thunder hammer terminators = no purchase sorry i dont make the rules

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I wouldn't say no to the new Scouts.
And while I don't hate the jump pack intercessors, they're also not that interesting at the same time.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It is super interesting that they said that the current assault Terminators will remain on sale for the time being. I imagine that means that the release of Primaris Assault Terminators is fairly far off. Which is a shame really, would have been nice to have those launch earlier and maybe the multipart kit later or something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I guess they need to save something when they, I dunno, reprint the SM codex in a year or something other that's a huge contribution cake to Marines.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Assault Terminators spring or summer next year to tie in with other releases like Dark Angels + maybe summer brings Blood Angels and/or Space Wolves? Really seems poor they couldn't bring them out at the same time given how silly it is to have primarised regulars but smol-rear end, don't they know we like big booty?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The new terminators are probably the best non-Heresy Space Marine thing GW has done in like a decade.

The new scouts are good, the jump pack Primaris are better than I thought they'd be, the command squad is inoffensive, and the Sternguard are great - I like the big ole side-by-side super flamer.

I don't see how they can do a Dark Angels release without new Deathwing + Knights, those old models are going to look busted.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I feel bad for 40K Emperors Children players. Why does GW hate them so much? They finally get an amazing Demon Prince Fulgrim and...it's for 30k. Which is awesome for 30K Emps Children players but the 40K ones...I guess they can proxy him in their armies?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

I feel bad for 40K Emperors Children players. Why does GW hate them so much? They finally get an amazing Demon Prince Fulgrim and...it's for 30k. Which is awesome for 30K Emps Children players but the 40K ones...I guess they can proxy him in their armies?

GW already has two half-baked chaos legion armies. they need to flesh out WE and DG before adding another one. i have no reason to expect that they will, but they really should.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
oh hey! 30K players picking up that new box for the new mk 3 marines and plastic deredeo means that it's gonna be a bit cheaper to pick up a land raider. that's good news

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bij posted:

The new terminators are probably the best non-Heresy Space Marine thing GW has done in like a decade.

The new scouts are good, the jump pack Primaris are better than I thought they'd be, the command squad is inoffensive, and the Sternguard are great - I like the big ole side-by-side super flamer.

I don't see how they can do a Dark Angels release without new Deathwing + Knights, those old models are going to look busted.

The old Deathwing Knight kit's inclusion in the Wrath of the Soul Forge King box looks a lot like a way to move a bunch of old stock quickly, in retrospect.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the Deathwing knight models are still great tbh, I don’t think they’ll need to be replaced in a hurry.

New terminators and scouts show a promising trend: rather than weirdly bifurcate everything into firstborn and primaris, just make models that people who like primaris can say are primaris and people who like firstborn can say are firstborn.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What terminators are seeing play now? I got the impression that in 10th shooty terminators were favoured over assault now?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the Deathwing knight models are still great tbh, I don’t think they’ll need to be replaced in a hurry.

New terminators and scouts show a promising trend: rather than weirdly bifurcate everything into firstborn and primaris, just make models that people who like primaris can say are primaris and people who like firstborn can say are firstborn.

I hope the trend continues and that future editions continue to blur the lines. I'd hate to completely lose the aesthetics of the classic tactical marines and the like, but the less distinction between the two marine types the better IMHO.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Stephenls posted:

The old Deathwing Knight kit's inclusion in the Wrath of the Soul Forge King box looks a lot like a way to move a bunch of old stock quickly, in retrospect.

Didn't even think of that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The DW designs aren't bad at all, but the itty bitty proportions are :pwn: next to new big stuff.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I hope the trend continues and that future editions continue to blur the lines. I'd hate to completely lose the aesthetics of the classic tactical marines and the like, but the less distinction between the two marine types the better IMHO.

Yes. Toss a few D:< helmet on big dude sprues in place of some of the tactical pouches and trinkets and everything would be in a good place.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

tangy yet delightful posted:

Assault Terminators spring or summer next year to tie in with other releases like Dark Angels + maybe summer brings Blood Angels and/or Space Wolves? Really seems poor they couldn't bring them out at the same time given how silly it is to have primarised regulars but smol-rear end, don't they know we like big booty?

Lmao if you think most people are going to have a full set of assembled and painted Terminators by the time assault termies come out!

Cease to Hope posted:

GW already has two half-baked chaos legion armies. they need to flesh out WE and DG before adding another one. i have no reason to expect that they will, but they really should.

I assume you mean TS because DG has like as many models as CSM do I'm pretty sure (I will not research this assertion)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i think it’s good to have some firstborn sculpts still around to appeal to people who like the classic blend of monastic knight and doomguy and some primaris sculpts around to appeal to people who like dog poo poo garbage

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

just kidding, bladeguard are cool and so are the new jump pack troops

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

What terminators are seeing play now? I got the impression that in 10th shooty terminators were favoured over assault now?
Assault terminator special rules just don't seem as good as the normal squad. You could just play wolfguard termies so you get the good rules and an assault cannon with your 4 thunderhammers and shields.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Eej posted:

I assume you mean TS because DG has like as many models as CSM do I'm pretty sure (I will not research this assertion)
I don't even mind the number of WE units, we just need a few more really obvious character options

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

hoiyes posted:

Assault terminator special rules just don't seem as good as the normal squad. You could just play wolfguard termies so you get the good rules and an assault cannon with your 4 thunderhammers and shields.

I will definitely be kitbashing Space Wolf thunder hammers and storm shields into the new Terminator kit.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Listen all i want in life is to literally be a space wolf with giant red maned hair a mutton chop mustache like im James Hetfield circa 1991 wielding two giant cimson red lightening claws cleaving a norn emissary in half is that too much to ask.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Eej posted:

Lmao if you think most people are going to have a full set of assembled and painted Terminators by the time assault termies come out!
this is about owning models, not doing anything with them - this is 40k after all

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Eej posted:

DG have a million billion characters and five squads, and of those five there are two pairs of two that do basically the same thing

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
To be fair DG also has some cool bespoke daemon engines, a niche tsons and weaters are severely missing. But, yeah, their roster looks bigger than it is due to having 50 different characters.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

It’s character heavy but has everything pretty well covered. Except for a chosen equivalent power armour+ type unit there’s not really anything I’d like to see added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/01/select-your-lictor-project-tyranid-terror-with-a-whole-variety-of-horrible-stealth-organisms

More Nid rules being partially shown off, in this case the various flavours of Lictors.