Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the one Wonder-mode where the perspective turns isometric is so bizarre and insane, can't imagine what other poo poo they're putting in this. gotta have a 2D classic stage in wondermode there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Larryb posted:

Weird that they ditched the level timer but there’s still a limited lives system (most franchises have done away with the latter by now)

I hadn't caught that...yeah that is weird. Makes sense they need something for coins to do, but they could've just made coins used to buy badges or new costumes. Interesting...

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

DLC Inc posted:

the one Wonder-mode where the perspective turns isometric is so bizarre and insane, can't imagine what other poo poo they're putting in this. gotta have a 2D classic stage in wondermode there.

Imagine having that as a tool in mario maker!

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Mons Hubris posted:

Ok yeah Wonder looks pretty good. I wonder (no pun intended) if you'll have to use certain badges to get some of the collectibles. Should be interesting.

Yeah, I think there are going to be collectibles and routes that are only possible with certain badges. My hope is that they're aiming for replayability and levels have multiple (significant) paths through.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Larryb posted:

Weird that they ditched the level timer but there’s still a limited lives system (most franchises have done away with the latter by now)

yeah man it's pretty weird they kept something that's been in the franchise since game one

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Getting 1ups is fun and the games usually hand them out like candy anyway so it’s not an issue really

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Mario2 squat jump is cool but I'm planning to Bionic Commando everywhere with that vine

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
The powerups are getting like Mega Man variety and utility. The Wonder-mode stuff, especially the perspective change, makes me think of Eternal Darkness.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Excited for this games Champions Road with all the wacky stuff you can do with powerups

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Makes me WONDER if they held back any power ups

No flying other than balloon inflation, hat slow falling and coyote time running?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

symbolic posted:

yeah man it's pretty weird they kept something that's been in the franchise since game one

They ditched the lives system in Odyssey (I think Bowser’s Fury as well), also plenty of other franchises that had limited lives for their entire run have started doing away with them as of late (Sonic and Kirby for example) so that means literally nothing

It’s not really an issue though, just a small oddity (also somehow you missed the part where I mentioned them getting rid of another mechanic that’s been in the series since the beginning)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 31, 2023

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

hatty posted:

Getting 1ups is fun and the games usually hand them out like candy anyway so it’s not an issue really

At 99 lives, Mario takes his hat off

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

symbolic posted:

lol Jesus christ

You quoted someone saying "interesting they ditched one long standing mechanic but not another"

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

maybealabia posted:

Makes me WONDER if they held back any power ups

No flying other than balloon inflation, hat slow falling and coyote time running?

There's snot bubble jumping too.

I presume super mushroom is in the game? There were small versions of the characters in the video right?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Don't think I would have ever guessed that Super Mario Wonder would be a strand game.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When you run out of lives doesn't the "Continue" require you to restart the level entirely, but if you die in a level you go back to a checkpoint?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It usually puts you back to when you saved last which is classically only after Castles, Forts and sometimes Boo Houses

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

It usually puts you back to when you saved last which is classically only after Castles, Forts and sometimes Boo Houses

Speaking of, I’m curious if they’re going to keep that mechanic or just let you save anywhere right out of the gate (or just do an auto-save after every level like 3D Land/World did)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you die in the game you die in real life

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Super Mario Deviant

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Speed run, cradle to grave any%

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I've never really gotten into the newer 2D Marios but that trailer makes Wonder look fantastic

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DLC Inc posted:

Mario getting EQUIPS that do poo poo like "you get a grappling hook" or "charged jumps" is so sick. Feels like people doing runs of the game with Invisible Mode or "never stops running" will be incredibly funny to watch

Haven't seen the video yet, but I played a lot of Mario Bros Deluxe on the GBC and I was convinced that it was possible to beat every level in SMB while always running to the right at full speed.

Or I did my darndest. I think there were a few Bowser castle stages that I couldn't speed through.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Will I hate that talking flower? :ohdear: I can't tell.

Electric Phantasm posted:

For those Nabbit fans out there

That would be me, thanks. :colbert: Ravio from Zelda also kicks major rear end.

[insert that "If Nabbit has million fans, then I'm one of them" meme here]

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I saw that movie in theaters when it came out, and I still never decided if I had a great time or a horrible one.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If you die too many times, I wonder if they will shame you with the white tanooki (or equivalent)

Imagine that being visible to everyone else playing online, I would delete my account and pray my family didnt see it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If you die too many times, I wonder if they will shame you with the white tanooki (or equivalent)

Imagine that being visible to everyone else playing online, I would delete my account and pray my family didnt see it

Worst thing about that in the early games with it is that just having the shame box appear made it so the completion stars on your save file didn’t sparkle. It was hosed up

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Super Mario Blunder

6.5/10

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Lives are also probably for multiplayer to give more of a failure condition since if you die in a level solo, you get kicked out, but that won't happen unless everyone dies or runs out of lives in a multiplayer session.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Lol at this new Mario having more non-cutscene voice acting than any Zelda except maybe AoC

Game looks sick though. The Koopas hip-checking each other was a nice touch

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just getting to watch the direct now, is that Smooth Mcgroove im hearing?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Some (bad) people are down on it but I like the talking flower

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It’s miserable and if there isn’t an option to turn voices off I’m gonna mald.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Merkinman posted:

The powerups are getting like Mega Man variety and utility. The Wonder-mode stuff, especially the perspective change, makes me think of Eternal Darkness.

can't wait for the level when Mario's head falls off the instant you begin it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gonna play the Japanese version so I can’t understand the flower

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

External Organs posted:

Love that they are combining Mario with a system from Hollow Knight

Paper Mario had badges in 2000.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Mega64 posted:

Paper Mario had badges in 2000.

SMDH if you didn't equip the spin-attack badge and use that to travel faster. :colbert:

DLC Inc posted:

can't wait for the level when Mario's head falls off the instant you begin it

Wigglers start crawling all over the screen...

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
That Wonder trailer is good. Mario games good. This game will be good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Lol at this new Mario having more non-cutscene voice acting than any Zelda except maybe AoC

Game looks sick though. The Koopas hip-checking each other was a nice touch

I like this animation touch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pI3f5RxL8

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't bought anything in the New smb series since the original DS one. But other than the talking flowers, this looks fun. I hope they have a toggle turn those off. But at least it seems like they got rid of the dumb dance Koopas had to do every few seconds in most of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Hrist posted:

I haven't bought anything in the New smb series since the original DS one. But other than the talking flowers, this looks fun. I hope they have a toggle turn those off. But at least it seems like they got rid of the dumb dance Koopas had to do every few seconds in most of them.

New smb games have their charns but in retrospect were fairly underwhelming. Except new mario bros U, that one stands out as a great game