Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Help I really like FFXIV and I think I might want to end up actually paying for it?

It's a good dog game brent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Help I really like FFXIV and I think I might want to end up actually paying for it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkf4ZWucV4

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ace Transmuter posted:

It's a really good game, but if you're someone who ends up resenting the amount of time you put into tedious stuff, feel free to focus on story stuff and quit whenever anything beyond that stops being fun. Getting completionist brain about it is a good way to ruin the game/your life.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Ace Transmuter posted:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

this freaked me out because I didn't expect him to actually get down on my level to get in my face

i assume he only does it to lalas

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

this freaked me out because I didn't expect him to actually get down on my level to get in my face

i assume he only does it to lalas

Lost opportunity there, should have pulled out a step ladder for Roes and the like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he does lean up on his tiptoes if youre a roe

its very funny

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff14's cool. i only really do quests and usually take leveling new jobs pretty slowly so i can keep up with role quest stuff and i've had fun with that. can be pretty daunting to level jobs in roles you've never touched but the most annoying one to do that was magic dps just cause they haven't added a new one in so long, that should be easier to get done once the next expansion is out

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I saw Chrono Ark had a beta update at the start of the month so I decided to give it a spin. I like all the story stuff they've added although I really wish they'd just finish it lol. The archive story stuff is actually pretty interesting now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I saw Chrono Ark had a beta update at the start of the month so I decided to give it a spin. I like all the story stuff they've added although I really wish they'd just finish it lol. The archive story stuff is actually pretty interesting now.

How is that still not finished, holy crap.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

How is that still not finished, holy crap.

They keep adding more and more to it, and kind of pivoted to adding a ton of actual story content and stuff which I think slowed things down significently. It's in a good place now, like 90% done it feels like.

Also after like 4 years Lucy can join the team as a combat member

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ace Transmuter posted:

If you want to continue not paying for it the free trial is getting an additional expansion added to it in October.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
To bring Sea of Stars back up, I'm on my way to Wraith Island and it's kind of bonkers how the two main characters are pretty much nothing personality wise or even relevance aside from their plot powers. Garl is out here getting things done. He's the one talking to the NPCs, volunteering to do quests, being interested in things, wanting to try things, while the main duo are just there going "..." at stuff.

If the combat wasn't somewhat interesting I would have put this down already. Not sure where these super high reviews are coming from unless the entire game gets better 10 hours in.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Too much Tri Strat character love, not enough support for Roland, the Guy Who Sucks. We must boost exiled princes who return to liberate their kingdoms oh gently caress governing is hard poo poo were those slimy aristocrats important why does everyone hate me now?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People dig the aesthetics and vibes probably

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overbite posted:

To bring Sea of Stars back up, I'm on my way to Wraith Island and it's kind of bonkers how the two main characters are pretty much nothing personality wise or even relevance aside from their plot powers. Garl is out here getting things done. He's the one talking to the NPCs, volunteering to do quests, being interested in things, wanting to try things, while the main duo are just there going "..." at stuff.

If the combat wasn't somewhat interesting I would have put this down already. Not sure where these super high reviews are coming from unless the entire game gets better 10 hours in.

I will say it does get better later on, especially once you have more party members, but yeah the protagonists are basically each half a character and it never gets great.

I will admit at least half of me saying that is that once the 4th wall breaking pirate lady gets relegated to 'playing in the band' NPC status the game becomes infinitely more tolerable.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Well I found a ghost ship so hopefully there's a coliseum and/or a tournament arc so it can be a real RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overbite posted:

Well I found a ghost ship so hopefully there's a coliseum and/or a tournament arc so it can be a real RPG.

Of course there is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Smiling Knight posted:

Too much Tri Strat character love, not enough support for Roland, the Guy Who Sucks. We must boost exiled princes who return to liberate their kingdoms oh gently caress governing is hard poo poo were those slimy aristocrats important why does everyone hate me now?

He's great

E: He was right to kill those slimy aristocrats tho

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Smiling Knight posted:

this type of prince is very good. I also enjoy the type of prince who becomes disillusioned, confronts his father the king, and asks if their actions are not equatable to tyranny, as seen in FFXVI. Real life princes generally suck, but fantasy fiction princes are pretty cool

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The final final battle is great, but it sucks to just stop right before the ending.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Roland is to me the most compelling of the main three. Benedict is static and ends up being exactly who you think he is. Frederica is cool but goes through a standard arc for her character type. Roland on the other hand just can't rise to the occasion, should never be allowed near the reigns of power, and can accidentally stab his gay sister with a spear who does actually rise to the occasion.

Its some of the most interesting stuff in the game.
Oh also he goes Char. lol

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Overbite posted:

I've looked at quite a few reviews, and they either just don't mention the characters or they say the characters are good. Polygon's review is the only one I've seen that actually said the characters are paper thin (I'm sure there are others, but I've not read all of them).

I don't get it either. Perhaps there are some people who really do want a super basic JRPG with super basic characters, but surely they're not the majority. I dunno, it's weird to me too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I've looked at quite a few reviews, and they either just don't mention the characters or they say the characters are good. Polygon's review is the only one I've seen that actually said the characters are paper thin (I'm sure there are others, but I've not read all of them).

I don't get it either. Perhaps there are some people who really do want a super basic JRPG with super basic characters, but surely they're not the majority. I dunno, it's weird to me too!

Sometimes that is exactly what people want.

I mean Chrono Trigger is an absurdly popular RPG and the majority of its characters have about one to two personality traits each.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
a subset of people this game appeals to are also folks who don't play rpgs that often but have like some childhood nostalgia for them, so stuff like paper thin characters can actually make it easier for people to project those types of feelings onto it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Roland is to me the most compelling of the main three. Benedict is static and ends up being exactly who you think he is. Frederica is cool but goes through a standard arc for her character type. Roland on the other hand just can't rise to the occasion, should never be allowed near the reigns of power, and can accidentally stab his gay sister with a spear who does actually rise to the occasion.

Its some of the most interesting stuff in the game.
Oh also he goes Char. lol

I think Tristat's biggest misstep is that Cordelia is an optional recruit because the game floats some really interesting comparisons between her and Roland that I love but they can't seem to truly dig into them in the late game because y'know she might not actually be in your army.

It's not like a big problem I guess (Roland and Cordelia are still some of the best characters) but there's the bones of some great stuff and what does happen I like a lot but feel like it coulda been a bigger part of the story.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah whenever i talk about tristrat i feel i often frame it around "they should do this for a sequel" which always makes me feel a bit bad. but there is so much fertile soil here that the next game in a series with a few changes could just end up being the GOAT.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

most critics that play indie jrpgs don't know JRPGs still exist until one is put right in front of them

it is like how critics will call a wacky american VN 'refreshing' or doing something that's never been done before

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah a lot of the stuff I find most interesting about it isn't so much the main focus (which I still think is all largely solid and done well) but whenever tristrat comes up I get to thinking about it and there's always some cool stuff to dig into with the story, and I appreciate that.

Elevates it beyond just being a very solid strategy game to something that really landed for me.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man I have been meaning to get back into Triangle Strategy; Left off around Chapter 4. But I am knee deep in Trails again at the moment.

I understand that Sea of Stars in in the same universe as The Messenger; How important is it to complete that game in order to know what is going on? Then again, it sounds like the game needs a proofreading pass so maybe that will be done by the time I get around to it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

The final final battle is great, but it sucks to just stop right before the ending.

I just did the crimson land stuff which was the hardest poo poo ever and eventually won because on one attempt it glitched and let me walk thru the encounter nodes without triggering them.

IDK how you're supposed to survive 3 encounters like that. I usually could make it to the second one before tapping out cuz it's really loving bullshit to have an enemy that does 10 damage to you anytime you attack, when your main damage dealer is someone who spams 0 cost attacks.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 1, 2023

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Unlucky7 posted:

Man I have been meaning to get back into Triangle Strategy; Left off around Chapter 4. But I am knee deep in Trails again at the moment.

I understand that Sea of Stars in in the same universe as The Messenger; How important is it to complete that game in order to know what is going on? Then again, it sounds like the game needs a proofreading pass so maybe that will be done by the time I get around to it.

It is 0% important. Don't play that game in order to play Sea of Stars.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
...Sorta weird that Triangle Strategy is on sale during the Strategy Game focused steam sale but Tactics Ogre isn't.

LTTP but I loved this part.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah whenever i talk about tristrat i feel i often frame it around "they should do this for a sequel" which always makes me feel a bit bad. but there is so much fertile soil here that the next game in a series with a few changes could just end up being the GOAT.

If Triangle Strategy 2 is as much of an improvement as Octopath 2 is to Octopath 1, it will be so good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Overbite posted:

The fourth playable character has some good Estinien style "broody character used as a comedic straight man" energy. Running offscreen to the right and then a portal sound effect plays before she returns onscreen from the left in her pirate captain disguise got a good laugh out of me.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I liked Chrono Ark more before I hit the last boss(?) of the run only to learn it is a difficulty spike driven straight through your chest.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Snooze Cruise posted:

I don't know, there's something oddly compelling about a game that's proof of concept for a better sequel. Something neat about seeing the bones of the improved game in the earlier one. I love exploring things like that, and also wanting to talk about how a game you like could be made even better makes a lot of sense to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

I liked Chrono Ark more before I hit the last boss(?) of the run only to learn it is a difficulty spike driven straight through your chest.

The king? Yeah he's loving rough.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Forgotten King in Chrono Ark suffers from what I would call FTL Syndrome, where he's a final boss who is on basically a completely different level and requiring a substantially more robust approach than literally any challenge the rest of a given run will throw at you. He's not too bad once you know how he works but he's virtually guaranteed to kill you at least once because a party that is otherwise solid enough to get to him but can't deal with his tricks will simply die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I have Triangle Strategy, Chained Echoes, Sea of Stars and Octopath Traveler 2. Which one should I play first?