Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Quantum of Phallus posted:

you’re posting that in a thread for people who bought a $500 Linux device

You're making it sound like a good deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hell yeah i did

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You mock the people paying $30 to play a game on their $18 a month subscription service a few days early and yet you bought a videogame console. Curious.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

both are deranged is what I’m saying :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

You mock the people paying $30 to play a game on their $18 a month subscription service a few days early and yet you bought a videogame console. Curious.

Only chumps pay $18.

It’s actually $6.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
If buying Steam Deck is deranged, I don't wanna be ranged!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Reading around, it seems like Starfield is in a sort of "not right now but lets see in a couple of months" space regarding Steam Deck.

You're looking at 20-30fps in cities, but as a whole thing it feels like it's close to a decent enough state?

I remember the reaction to The Last of Us being "lol. Lmao!" pretty much instantly, which maybe surprisingly isn't the case for Starfield.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

It's a Bethesda game, it'd be weird if it were an optimized experience from day one

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sounds like it's very polished on Xbox

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I've had my steam deck docked and in sleep mode since February, is it gonna be hosed up when I turn it on again?

I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you op but gaben has remote bricked your deck due to your negligent ways

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Bumhead posted:

Reading around, it seems like Starfield is in a sort of "not right now but lets see in a couple of months" space regarding Steam Deck.

You're looking at 20-30fps in cities, but as a whole thing it feels like it's close to a decent enough state?

I remember the reaction to The Last of Us being "lol. Lmao!" pretty much instantly, which maybe surprisingly isn't the case for Starfield.

As a Bethesda shill & poor who only has a deck to play it on I'll say my first couple of hours including ground and ship based combat is fine I wont be one of those people yelling about how great it is 30fps locked or whatever because that's a lie but it's above and beyond anything I expected and well above anything I would be able to get on any of my other gaming hardware.

It basically feels like a switch port that would get dropped with a "only get it on switch if that's your only option" review.

Hopefully there will be some smoothing down the line but it's really genuinely surprised me with how playable it seems to be... so far.

I am using all the cryowhatevers and have the uma at 4gb and all that stuff as a caveat though.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

LeFishy posted:

As a Bethesda shill & poor who only has a deck to play it on I'll say my first couple of hours including ground and ship based combat is fine I wont be one of those people yelling about how great it is 30fps locked or whatever because that's a lie but it's above and beyond anything I expected and well above anything I would be able to get on any of my other gaming hardware.

It basically feels like a switch port that would get dropped with a "only get it on switch if that's your only option" review.

Hopefully there will be some smoothing down the line but it's really genuinely surprised me with how playable it seems to be... so far.

I am using all the cryowhatevers and have the uma at 4gb and all that stuff as a caveat though.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I was getting at/hoping for yesterday.

It's never been about expecting 40fps at medium. More just a curiosity about what's genuinely achievable and where the "playable" line sits. And as we've seen before, Steam Deck performance can be improved fairly significantly over time. Starfield already feels like it has a leg up on other AAA games that have released this year, where the idea of bothering with them on Deck has been completely dismissed extremely quickly.

Your comparison to Switch ports is an interesting one. Prior to picking up a Deck, my favourite version of Doom 2016 was the Switch version despite the obvious compromises.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Vic posted:

If buying Steam Deck is deranged, I don't wanna be ranged!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bumhead posted:

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I was getting at/hoping for yesterday.

It's never been about expecting 40fps at medium. More just a curiosity about what's genuinely achievable and where the "playable" line sits. And as we've seen before, Steam Deck performance can be improved fairly significantly over time. Starfield already feels like it has a leg up on other AAA games that have released this year, where the idea of bothering with them on Deck has been completely dismissed extremely quickly.

Your comparison to Switch ports is an interesting one. Prior to picking up a Deck, my favourite version of Doom 2016 was the Switch version despite the obvious compromises.

One thing I noticed about Starfield is that, unlike most games, the render resolution is only set to 75% on Ultra. Literally every other game I've played that allows adjusting the render resolution sets it to 100% by default, and allows you to adjust it up/down for better quality/performance respectively.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Annath posted:

One thing I noticed about Starfield is that, unlike most games, the render resolution is only set to 75% on Ultra. Literally every other game I've played that allows adjusting the render resolution sets it to 100% by default, and allows you to adjust it up/down for better quality/performance respectively.

Yeah people talked about this in the GPU thread, FSR is enabled at every graphical preset because we're fully in the era of forcing upscaling.

Rinkles posted:

Starfield:
    FSR2 is enabled by default on every graphical preset. Low/Medium use FSR2 "Performance", High renders at 62% Render Scale, Ultra at 75%.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCJ1ryTldCI

Runs fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Of note, per that video, it runs better on the ROG Ally but crashes constantly

:lol:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That’s an interesting definition of “better”.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I wonder how many frames per second it’s getting when it’s crashed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As far as Starfield Deck videos go, I liked this one

https://www.youtube.com/live/mhiIeng7I7c?si=KS3wAlFGlDpJod3E

And by liked I mean I had a good laugh at him cranking up the settings to 4K Ultra to see how it ran.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Honestly, getting 4fps on a 24-hour old Bethesda game at 4K Ultra is pretty impressive for any computer, let alone the Steam Deck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

omg it looks loving awful lol

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

omg it looks loving awful lol

Saw a post right now of a dude talking about how great (30fps) it’s running for him then you go through his settings and he’s literally playing the game at 360p lmao.

People are down bad wanting the Deck to run everything flawlessly

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saw a post right now of a dude talking about how great (30fps) it’s running for him then you go through his settings and he’s literally playing the game at 360p lmao.

I was looking for updates on PS3 emulation on the Deck and one person on Reddit posted a video of God of War 3 running "flawlessly" and it looked like poo poo but the post said "maintains low 20s most of the time, perfectly playable" like my dude have some self respect for gently caress sake and just admit the game doesn't run.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

See now that is very silly. I bought the Deck to play Fallout New Vegas whenever and wherever I want. Everything else is just gravy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

njsykora posted:

I was looking for updates on PS3 emulation on the Deck and one person on Reddit posted a video of God of War 3 running "flawlessly" and it looked like poo poo but the post said "maintains low 20s most of the time, perfectly playable" like my dude have some self respect for gently caress sake and just admit the game doesn't run.

Most games of that era were capped at 30 FPS, so if it's at 24 FPS that's really not much different than the way it was on the PS3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah isn’t PS3 emulation notoriously bad/difficult.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the difference between 24fps and 30fps for games is pretty big, let's not kid ourselves

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s like when TOTK landed and people insisted it was perfectly playable* on steam deck lol eat poo poo Nintendo we don’t need your switch!

*if you allow for a laundry list of issues

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah isn’t PS3 emulation notoriously bad/difficult.

It's an emulator where core count impacts the performance range a lot. The Deck's 4-core CPU ends up limiting it to mostly the less demanding games, though that list still includes a pile of bangers like Ridge Racer 7 and Tekken 6 but no matter how much you try you're not gonna run a Motorstorm game at full speed on it.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
1994 Urban Strike on the Genesis emulator runs like a dream.

Could always play that instead of Starfield.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Yeah the ally needs a driver update. I was dicking around with it last night and it will work fine on the Ally eventually.

It’s still an incredibly dumb decision that AMD let’s asus push the driver updates.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

rafikki posted:

I wonder how many frames per second it’s getting when it’s crashed.

Trick question! The answer is irrelevant, because the battery is already emtpy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s like when TOTK landed and people insisted it was perfectly playable* on steam deck lol eat poo poo Nintendo we don’t need your switch!

*if you allow for a laundry list of issues

BOTW has never run flawlessly on the deck and there are 800,000 youtube videos each promising perfect performance.

TOTK on the other hand doesnt even run perfectly on the switch itself, let alone emulated on a deck

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

runs great on Switch

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Dramicus posted:

Runs fine.

Looks like FSR2 at 50% resolution? Will probably just try out Sunshine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhiIeng7I7c&t=2366s

gross

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That looks real rough quality-wise but I could probably live with the framerate because I’m a super basic bitch with bad eyes and terrible reflexes anyway.

I’ll probably buy the GOTY edition in the steam summer sale of 2025 for :10bux: unless a copy somehow falls into my lap, the best slop is the cheap slop. I can always play it on my laptop if I need more frames.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

tango alpha delta posted:

See now that is very silly. I bought the Deck to play Fallout New Vegas whenever and wherever I want. Everything else is just gravy.
same but Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I humbly request this as a thread title, because it is evergreen.